Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: clueless riders and stuff they say...

08-02-2011 04:02 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
      People don't realize that its physically impossible--that is, beyond the laws of physics--to get a motorcycle or bicycle to turn without some degree of counter steer.
      There is a fool-proof demo of this. Have them go through along sweeping corner (like a big circle in an empty parking lot) at city speed with one hand on the "inside" grip and the other hand off the bars (this obviously works best with the right hand on the bar). Once in the corner, push and pull gently on the grip.

The need for counter-steering becomes really obvious since pushing on the right bar is the only way to get through a right sweeper w/o heading for the centre line.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-02-2011 04:40 PM #37
      People don't realize that its physically impossible--that is, beyond the laws of physics--to get a motorcycle or bicycle to turn without some degree of counter steer.
      eh? So when I moving it in my garage and the wheel is at full lock in the direction I'm turning, I'm doing the impossible and defying the laws of physics? I'm the ****ing awesome!

3. Senior Member
      08-02-2011 04:53 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by yzfwv View Post
      eh? So when I moving it in my garage and the wheel is at full lock in the direction I'm turning, I'm doing the impossible and defying the laws of physics? I'm the ****ing awesome!
      Under power, above 7mph (I think is the understood speed), you do not steer a single-track vehicle by moving the wheel in the direction you want to go, you countersteer it. It be a scientific fact, no use in arguing it.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '03 sv1000, 14 grom
      08-02-2011 05:00 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by F1_Fan View Post
      There is a fool-proof demo of this. Have them go through along sweeping corner (like a big circle in an empty parking lot) at city speed with one hand on the "inside" grip and the other hand off the bars (this obviously works best with the right hand on the bar). Once in the corner, push and pull gently on the grip.

The need for counter-steering becomes really obvious since pushing on the right bar is the only way to get through a right sweeper w/o heading for the centre line.
      this might be a dangerous proposition if they get overzealous with trying to prove you wrong
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-02-2011 05:17 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Under power, above 7mph (I think is the understood speed), you do not steer a single-track vehicle by moving the wheel in the direction you want to go, you countersteer it. It be a scientific fact, no use in arguing it.
      Sped wasn't stated in the previous reply.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-03-2011 12:25 AM #41
      Sped wasn't stated in the previous reply.
      "City speed" was used, for what that's worth. It's an implied speed floor.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-03-2011 10:03 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      "City speed" was used, for what that's worth. It's an implied speed floor.
      Uh, read it again. "City" and "speed" appear nowher in BXR140's post.

I mean, I could be blind, but I don't see those two words anywhere in that post.

8. 08-03-2011 01:59 PM #43
      F1_Fan quoted it and then said to demo this go to a parking lot and ride at city speed...

Regarding you turning the bars to move the bike in the garage, that is just like moving an object -- the countersteer thing comes in at speed/under power because of the gyroscopic forces or whatever that are going on.

When I got my first bike and didn't know how to ride (literally) and jumped on the highway, then I wanted to change lanes, started trying to "steer" to the other lane, inched the OPPOSITE direction, that was scary.

(Yes I did everything wrong with getting in to riding. I am still alive though. )

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-03-2011 02:09 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by jasonyates View Post
      F1_Fan quoted it and then said to demo this go to a parking lot and ride at city speed...

Regarding you turning the bars to move the bike in the garage, that is just like moving an object -- the countersteer thing comes in at speed/under power because of the gyroscopic forces or whatever that are going on.

When I got my first bike and didn't know how to ride (literally) and jumped on the highway, then I wanted to change lanes, started trying to "steer" to the other lane, inched the OPPOSITE direction, that was scary.

(Yes I did everything wrong with getting in to riding. I am still alive though. )
      Annnnnnnd, I didn't quote F1_Fan. The words city and speed still appear nowhere in my post or the post I quoted.

10. 08-03-2011 02:15 PM #45
      Annnnnnnd, I didn't quote F1_Fan. The words city and speed still appear nowhere in my post or the post I quoted.
      Do you ride? I don't. I have no idea why I am in this thread...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-03-2011 02:17 PM #46
      Do you ride? I don't. I have no idea why I am in this thread...
      Yes.

08-03-2011 03:36 PM #47
      Ah there's nothing like a countersteering thread to get a motorcycle forum hopping!

Vehicles
      08-03-2011 03:41 PM #48
      Ah there's nothing like a countersteering thread to get a motorcycle forum hopping!
      a rear brake thread
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

14. 08-03-2011 08:32 PM #49
      Yes, if the bike is in motion, you counter steer to initiate a change of direction even at slow speeds.

To be clear, "countersteering" applies to both to the input (the physical action--pushing/pulling on the bars) and the output (the resulting bike geometry--specifically the change in steering angle of the front end) and the two are really decoupled. The former lasts through the turn to some degree or another (or at least, through ~half the turn, give or take the situation). The later only occurs at the beginning of the direction change.

Again, to beat the horse, it is physically impossible to for a [moving] single track vehicle to change directions without that direction change being initiated by some measurable amount of opposite/counter steering angle. At speed, the most you'll see is a degree or so of counter angle, for no more than a second or so. At walking pace (in your garage), the magnitude and duration of the counter angle are so small that its easy to think it doesn't happen...but it does.

After the counter angle initiates the turn, other forces take over and the steering angle does indeed point "into" the turn. Look down in a tight right hander and sure as **** your bars will be turned a noticeable amount to the right (if both tires have full traction). When you provide input to come out of that right hander, the bars will momentarily turn more right, then back to zero when the bike is basically upright.

As for the physical action of countersteering, many people understand how it works at speed, because many people have played the push/pull game in a turn or on the freeway or wherever. The reason you hear things like "countersteering doesn't happen at low speeds" is because the other forces involved play a bigger part at lower speeds, so the need to actually push or pull on the bars to create the counter steer becomes negligible or even non existent.

There is a fool-proof demo of this. Have them go through along sweeping corner...
      Another interesting experiment is the hands off body "flick" to start a turn. You can absolutely use only your body to initiate a turn while coasting with no hands. It turns into a mess after the first split second because you're not doing the physical action of "countersteering" (and so fair warning if you die trying), but movement of your body to the right will pull the bike off the centerline to the right and will induce a left counter angle in the front end because the tires are still more or less "stuck" on the centerline (rake and trail come into play here). Result? Right turn initiated.

But that's a whole 'nuther topic.
      Last edited by bxr140; 08-03-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-03-2011 08:35 PM #50
      I am going to sit here quietly and take notes as this develops.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

08-03-2011 08:51 PM #51
      Another interesting experiment is the hands off body "flick" to start a turn. You can absolutely use only your body to initiate a turn while coasting with no hands. It turns into a mess after the first split second...
      Yeah, I've tried this before. Messy is a good description. It is possible but we don't weigh enough to deal with the bike's inertia.

When you weigh 8-10 times as much as the vehicle then it's sort of possible It doesn't hurt if you're nucking futs either.

Last edited by F1_Fan; 08-03-2011 at 10:02 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-04-2011 09:54 AM #52
      Yes, if the bike is in motion, you counter steer to initiate a change of direction even at slow speeds.

To be clear, "countersteering" applies to both to the input (the physical action--pushing/pulling on the bars) and the output (the resulting bike geometry--specifically the change in steering angle of the front end) and the two are really decoupled. The former lasts through the turn to some degree or another (or at least, through ~half the turn, give or take the situation). The later only occurs at the beginning of the direction change.

Again, to beat the horse, it is physically impossible to for a [moving] single track vehicle to change directions without that direction change being initiated by some measurable amount of opposite/counter steering angle. At speed, the most you'll see is a degree or so of counter angle, for no more than a second or so. At walking pace (in your garage), the magnitude and duration of the counter angle are so small that its easy to think it doesn't happen...but it does.

After the counter angle initiates the turn, other forces take over and the steering angle does indeed point "into" the turn. Look down in a tight right hander and sure as **** your bars will be turned a noticeable amount to the right (if both tires have full traction). When you provide input to come out of that right hander, the bars will momentarily turn more right, then back to zero when the bike is basically upright.

As for the physical action of countersteering, many people understand how it works at speed, because many people have played the push/pull game in a turn or on the freeway or wherever. The reason you hear things like "countersteering doesn't happen at low speeds" is because the other forces involved play a bigger part at lower speeds, so the need to actually push or pull on the bars to create the counter steer becomes negligible or even non existent.

Another interesting experiment is the hands off body "flick" to start a turn. You can absolutely use only your body to initiate a turn while coasting with no hands. It turns into a mess after the first split second because you're not doing the physical action of "countersteering" (and so fair warning if you die trying), but movement of your body to the right will pull the bike off the centerline to the right and will induce a left counter angle in the front end because the tires are still more or less "stuck" on the centerline (rake and trail come into play here). Result? Right turn initiated.

But that's a whole 'nuther topic.

My point was, I was being sarcastic. Moving my bike in my garage does not require counter steer. It's not moving. I don't have a 5,000 square foot garage.

Should I use *SACRASM* tags in the future?

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      08-04-2011 11:46 AM #53
      Hey guys great talk about counter steering, keep up the good work!!!!111
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      08-04-2011 12:04 PM #54
      I don't have a 5,000 square foot garage:
      pfft you poor or something?

20. Senior Member
      08-04-2011 12:17 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      I have one of these in mine:

Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      08-04-2011 12:21 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      I have one of these in mine:
      But do you countersteer upside down?

Vehicles
      08-04-2011 12:26 PM #57
      But do you countersteer upside down?
      silly_me doesn't counter steer. he counters sheep

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-04-2011 12:28 PM #58
      Yes.

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      08-04-2011 10:20 PM #59

My point was, I was being sarcastic. Moving my bike in my garage does not require counter steer. It's not moving. I don't have a 5,000 square foot garage.

Should I use *SACRASM* tags in the future?
      Just stop trolling.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-05-2011 09:00 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      Just stop trolling.
      Just GFYS

I can't help it you don't have a sense of humor.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-07-2011 03:25 PM #61
      I always give the classic one-word 'confusion tactic' response to that one:

"Yes".
      Butting in here, I usually say "it's not as bad as my Nomex..."

Another interesting experiment is the hands off body "flick" to start a turn.
      I'm a bike n00b, but I just did exactly that in my training last friday. Have to do a 4.5m circle for my exam here in Germany, and the training is to throw your body over, look the turn direction, and idle around the circle. It's quite possible, as I managed to do it (after a few forays into the grass...).
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

27. 08-09-2011 01:59 AM #62
      I can't help it you don't have a sense of humor.
      Says the guy bent because people didn't get his attempt at "sarcasm".

Vehicles
      08-11-2011 11:07 AM #63
      What gets me sometimes is the CC to Liter conversion. Probably only an American issue. I remember talking to a guy with a Goldwing about how is 1.8 liter is the same size as my car's engine and he was like uh, it's actually 1800CC.

Vehicles
      08-11-2011 11:27 AM #64
      What gets me sometimes is the CC to Liter conversion. Probably only an American issue. I remember talking to a guy with a Goldwing about how is 1.8 liter is the same size as my car's engine and he was like uh, it's actually 1800CC.
      math is hard yo.

Vehicles
      A rabbit pickup ............__ ______l__\___``````````````` [@_______@_/
      08-22-2011 10:33 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      his comment after seeing it was that "it's because he's sitting higher up it gives him a higher center of gravity" even after countless explanations of rake/trail, reach, ergonomics, etc. he maintains that it's crucial to have a higher COG to turn. Countering this with "why wouldn't you just stand up on the pegs to turn" doesn't seem to get through to him.

yes, 1 170lb cop, sitting 1" higher, allows for a 700lb harley to do this.
      Show him a CBR600 laying way down, way slow.
      http://www.dump.com/2011/02/24/unrea...-cbr600-video/
      -Jon

08-22-2011 11:01 PM #66
      Unreal. The guy's knees don't drop at all and he doesn't even move his ass on the seat. Complete lack of douchebaggery.

Vehicles
      A rabbit pickup ............__ ______l__\___``````````````` [@_______@_/
      08-23-2011 01:45 AM #67
      Unreal. The guy's knees don't drop at all and he doesn't even move his ass on the seat. Complete lack of douchebaggery.
      Admittly I could not finish it, the sound of the motor was bugging me. Certainly shows, you go where you look.
      -Jon

Vehicles
      08-23-2011 11:40 AM #68
      I did not watch the video, but are you saying hanging off the bike is douchebaggery?

34. 08-24-2011 01:40 PM #69
      He then goes on this 'you crotch rocket guys' speech.
      I find people that feel the need to diffrentiate riders by what they ride to be the most clueless.

People ride what they like, and what they can afford. It's all the same hobby for christ sake.
      TDI | GTI | FLHXI | PVW 02/09

BUY ME

Vehicles
      08-24-2011 02:17 PM #70
      too slow to need to hang off and maybe more need to counterbalance?
      not enough time between maneuvers to switch positions?
      Bolt-upright sitting position with big riser bars for ease of turnin?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast