Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Battery / Alternator issue 2003 Eurovan

1. 07-18-2011 02:44 PM #1
      I have a 2003 Eurovan Multivan. I rarely drive it, but am leaving for a trip this weekend. Earlier in the week, I couldn't start the car (engine didn't even turn over). Assuming the battery was dead, I jump started it and all was good. I let the battery charge over night via trcikle charge. And it started fine the next morning. A few days later, it wouldn't start again (odd). I assumed I had a bad battery and made an appointment to get it replaced. Now I can't get it started at all. Even if I disconnect the battery and connect the eurovan to a it to a battery on a a running car right next to it. Now it turns over and doesn't start, almost like it's not generating enough power to recharge itself. I have it on a trickle charge now and am assuming the auxillary battery is dead and drawing power or I have an alternator issue. I have a preferred dealership I bring it to a few towns away and don't want to have to pay to tow it there or use a local dealership. Any ideas to get it started just one more time would be great.

2. 07-18-2011 03:06 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by spceurovan View Post
      Even if I disconnect the battery and connect the eurovan to a it to a battery on a a running car right next to it. Now it turns over and doesn't start, almost like it's not generating enough power to recharge itself. I have it on a trickle charge now and am assuming the auxillary battery is dead and drawing power or I have an alternator issue.
      Odd.

When you try to start it with the off-board battery, does it crank at the proper rpm or is it slow?

Also, I don't think the aux battery relays in until the engine starts, but I could be wrong... you could always disconnect it to check. 10 mm wrench.

Good luck.
      Formerly J_Westy (before I lost my password)
      Current Ride: 2005 Mini R53
      Past Rides: 2002 EVWK, '87 Syncro Weekender, '86 Syncro Van, '91 Westy, '91 Cabriolet, '63 Double Cab, '85 Scirocco, '70 Bug, '73 914

3. 07-18-2011 05:55 PM #3
      It cranks very slow when connected to the offboard battery. I don't have the manual and can't figure out how to get to the aux battery (I see the panel in the back of the drivers seat base, but it doesn't give me access to the terminals.)

Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy2 View Post
      Odd.

When you try to start it with the off-board battery, does it crank at the proper rpm or is it slow?

Also, I don't think the aux battery relays in until the engine starts, but I could be wrong... you could always disconnect it to check. 10 mm wrench.

Good luck.

Vehicles
      2003 EVWK, 2001 EVC
      07-18-2011 11:41 PM #4
      On the right side of the driver's seat, there is a black plastic tab. Slide the seat as far forward as possible using the normal method of lifting the bar by your feet. Then lift up on the black plastic tab and scoot the seat forward to reveal the aux battery.

---

Is your "battery" light on even when you do manage to get the engine started? I replaced the alternator in my 03 this year...

5. 07-19-2011 03:56 AM #5
      I just finished a 12 hour trickle charge and the van started no problem. The battery light is never on.

I just realized I should have tested starting the van from the off-board battery while the other car is not running (perhaps the 2 alternators together cannot regulate voltage properly?) There may also be an issue with my jumper cables.

Very strange. If I was 5 years younger without kids I would spend the weekend figuring this out, but now I rely on the experts.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-17-2012 07:25 PM #6
      OK... I searched for a while and this is the best post I could find...

Our '02 EuroVan (Pop Top WE version) doesn't get used as a daily driver. I had a few issue with low battery charging, so I replaced the battery with a new VW battery. It's strong, but it doesn't seem to be getting charged.

To trouble-shoot the problem, I started the EV, then pulled the negative lead off the battery. Everything electrical kept working. So I know the alternator is good...

The connections on the terminal are corrosion-free. VCDS doesn't show any faults. The fuses in front of the battery are good. I'm stumped.

I ran across this thread which seems similar, but there was no ending to the story.

Any ideas?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-20-2012 06:35 PM #7
      TTT

Anybody?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 EV MV Weekender, '11 GTI Autobahn
      08-23-2012 08:29 PM #8
      Did you get ABS and (/!\) and parking break lights blinking like crazy before it died? My EV just did this and then would not start when I tried to start it immediately after a drive, it just cranked and stopped, the clock reset but all the lights are working. I'll get a new battery and see if this is it.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2012 02:50 PM #9
      Just changed my battery and alternator, fixed my warning lights issue. My problem was an old battery and a broken alternator. Find a mechanic to test the alternator.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-27-2012 06:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dapolrbear View Post
      Just changed my battery and alternator, fixed my warning lights issue. My problem was an old battery and a broken alternator. Find a mechanic to test the alternator.
      Thanks for the follow-up.

If the Alternator won't get up to 14V, I bet it's time for an alternator swap, even if it still puts out 12V and can run most of the load...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2012 06:37 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Thanks for the follow-up.

If the Alternator won't get up to 14V, I bet it's time for an alternator swap, even if it still puts out 12V and can run most of the load...
      After my mechanic installed the new battery, he hooked up a voltmeter to the battery and revved the engine, a functioning alternator would raise the meter above 12v. Mine did not even budge the meter.