Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: stuck in reverse...what the hell is going on?

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI - Manual / 1998 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6 - Manual
      07-18-2011 03:44 PM #1
      so, i got in my car friday afternoon and it was hard to take it out of reverse (i was parked on a hill). I started driving and noticed it was slightly difficult getting it into second gear. I live 2 seconds from the highway and was able to bring it to my exit but at the exit there was a red light. Car would not move into first or any other gear. I turned the car off, moved it to first, started it back up and was on my way. my mom lives only 5 mins from the exit and in that time i was completely unable to move out of first gear. i limped the car all the way to her house in first. i popped the hood and the linkage cables are still attached, but while shifting through the gears it got stuck in reverse again...only this time I cant get it out no matter how hard i try (i have not tried to disengage it from under the hood though).

a neighbor of mine says it sounded like a slave cylinder to him. What does it sound like to you guys?

Vehicles
      98 Golf
      07-18-2011 04:13 PM #2
      Check the shift linkage, when I replaced my bushings and got everything back together I didn't tighten the shaft enough and the same thing happened to me.
      Instagram: @anthonydamario

Vehicles
      07-18-2011 05:40 PM #3
      which bolt to the shaft are you referring to?

Vehicles
      94 golf, 90 calypso VR jetta gli,98 ginster, 97 golf, 95 jetta, 99 jetta
      07-18-2011 09:45 PM #4
      cable clutch? or hydraulic?

my first idea would be to change those 2 orange bushings. It will work wonders
      DIY harlequin
      New build
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      You carry a ball peen hammer but not a jack? Are you in the Hell's Angels?
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      As far as sexes go, I'm uncertain these days. It's getting harder to tell if you're at the hotdog stand or taco bell until it's actually in your mouth.

Vehicles
      07-18-2011 09:50 PM #5
      i dont see any orange bushing under the hood...makes me wonder if they are missing (or were replaced with a diff color/cheaper version).

i recently bought the car so i dont know what has been replaced aftermarket in regards to those things, its also my first mk3 vr6

Vehicles
      98 Golf
      07-19-2011 01:27 AM #6
      This is for a 2.0 so I'm not sure if the linkage is different on the vr6 but the only bolt Dan refers to on this page.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...fter/index.htm
      Instagram: @anthonydamario

7. 08-19-2011 12:01 AM #7
      hey ZoomBy... have you had any luck solving your problem? This same thing has been happening to me for the last couple of years, but now that my wife is driving the car I wouldn't mind solving it. I'm glad to see other people have experienced this.. keep us posted if you find a solution! We have a 2003 1.8T... and a trip to the dealer years ago turned up nothing.

Vehicles
      08-19-2011 02:00 AM #8
      i ended up bleeding the slave cylinder and it fixed the problem...for like a week.

i did some research my self and found someone with the exact same symptoms only it was on a carrado. He ended up telling me it was his master clutch cylinder that needed to be replaced. my car is currently undriveable because of this issue. I have the new cylinders - i just need to replace them