Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Heads up, Larry~! 1930 birthdate for this Packard... 1910 birthdate for the driver....

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-22-2011 01:37 PM #71
      s
      Quote Originally Posted by Boxer2100 View Post
      Kind-a-sort-a off topic, but I was able to see Clark Gable's one-of-a-kind Duesy SJ (400+ hp) run flat-out through the quarter mile during the A-C-D fest last year. Later, I was able to stand less than a foot from the car and take photos. I still can't believe that happened.

Clark Gable sat here...

Was this car at Imperial Palace for a while? They have a pretty respectable Duesy collection and I thought for sure that car was there back in the 1990s.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      07-22-2011 01:43 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      The woman is Carole Lombard, who later married Clark Gable, and who was killed in an airplane crash into a mountainside near Reno, NV during WWII while on a USO tour. I don't know for sure who the guy is, but he looks like Dick Powell, a journeyman actor in the thirties and forties.
      Hey... it's Larry!!

Glad to hear from you in this thread.

Another '30 Roadster in a movie

Inscribed on photo back; 1930 Packard custom eight, model 740, seventh series eight, 8-cylinder, 90-horsepower, 140.5-inch wheelbase, 2/4-person roadster (body type #412). A scene actually taken in 'A Show Girl in Hollywood,' Alice White, star, in middle center greeted by John Milgan, her leading man. Hubbard Lee's 740 Packard roadster in center
      Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

3. 07-22-2011 01:58 PM #73
      Awesome story, thanks for posting this! Man, she's just great. I love at the end of the video she has that rag on the running board to step on. Outstanding!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      07-22-2011 03:29 PM #74
      I've been trying to embed the video and finally got it to copy up.

Absolutely facinating.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      07-22-2011 04:43 PM #75
      Always glad to see your posts, Larry (and it does sound like you've got a full plate)

Thanks~!

Another beautiful 740 Packard similar to the one shown in Michigan

106 horsepower, 140.5 inch wheelbase

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      07-22-2011 06:30 PM #76
      V12 version of the Roadster.

Wow.

not quite sure where that fits in the model lineup or year though

Seems they quit making the V12 in '39
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 GTI, 79 diesel rat rabbit
      07-22-2011 08:58 PM #77
      Everything about this story is really nicely presented and delightfully told.

Sweet old gal with some energy about her that comes thru in the video and the photos

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rogers
      Never slap a man who is chewing tobacco.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '70 Datsun 510......early wabbit
      07-22-2011 11:00 PM #78
      The 30's. Packards.

Interesting time and interesting vehicles

Bigger than life in a lot of respects

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      It's not hard to tell when a driver is texting. If I can do it while driving a manual, eating a cheeseburger AND loading a shotgun... the average driver, who is admittedly much smarter, and more coordinated than me, should be capable of seeing it too.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-23-2011 02:41 AM #79
      Does anybody know if Clark Gables's Duesy is the one I saw at Imperial Palace back a while back? There can't be too many of those around.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-23-2011 07:39 AM #80
      Gable had at least 2 Model Js, with this Bohman and Schwartz-bodied car being one of them. Also, when his wife, Carole Lombard, died in the plane crash I mentioned earlier, a grief-stricken Gable gave instructions that this car, which was in Canada at the time, never be brought back to the US again during his lifetime, so that he would not have to see it again, since apparently the car had a great deal of importance to both him and Lombard.

Clark Gable's other Duesenberg Model J was his "hotrod" SSJ, one of only 2 such short-wheelbase, lightened models built, the other belonging to his friend and fellow enthusiast, Gary Cooper.

Gable with the JN roadster:

Gable's SSJ roadster on the left, and "Coop's" SSJ on the right:

Good picture of the 2 Duesy-buddies together; Gary Cooper on the left, Gable on the right. Legends driving legends:

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 rabbit, 85 jetta
      07-23-2011 11:07 AM #81
      thanks, Larry.

Great shot of the two stars and their cars.

This Packard article coincides with the National Packard Museum Car Show in Ohio happening this weekend.

SALEM - History will roll into town on Friday, July 22.

As part of the 22nd Annual National Packard Museum Car Show this year the National Packard Museum has planned a stop on its annual celebration tour in Salem.

The NPM show runs from July 20-24 in Warren, the home of Packard.

This year's event is called "Packard for the People."

Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
      All of the rust, bondo, and patchwork done with old street signs gives them the crash safety of a cake decoration.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Honda S2000, 85 jetta
      07-23-2011 01:44 PM #82

Good picture of the 2 Duesy-buddies together; Gary Cooper on the left, Gable on the right. Legends driving legends:

Thanks for that post, Larry....

wow....

What a great shot!

Wonder what the firepower is and what they were after....

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kelton
      The difference between being in a relationship and being in prison is that in prisons they let you play softball on the weekends
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cotter
      There was an old woman that lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. How about you quit screwing, ya hosebag!

07-23-2011 01:47 PM #83
      You don't see too many men hunting in dress pants and a tie. Snazzy hunters.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-23-2011 02:21 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      You don't see too many men hunting in dress pants and a tie. Snazzy hunters.
      My guess would be that the photograph is a studio publicity shot, and they were most likely shooting skeet or target shooting or something like that, if even shooting at all. Cooper in particular was a very casual person, and probably would never wear a tie while actually hunting (who would? ). He was a superb horseman, btw, and always did his own riding and stunts in the many western movies he made. It's fun to me to know a little bit about these larger-than-life figures who originally owned the iconic automobiles we cherish today.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-23-2011 05:05 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by TopDown_ View Post
      Wonder what the firepower is and what they were after....

Dames, all of them.

My guess is probably skeet or trap shooting.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      07-23-2011 07:03 PM #86
      He was a superb horseman, btw, and always did his own riding and stunts in the many western movies he made.
      Nice...

Now, of course, I want to see a Gary Cooper film in the old west setting

Speaking of horsepower

Quote Originally Posted by Patton
      If everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking.
      Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
      In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-23-2011 08:34 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Terandyne View Post
      Nice...

Now, of course, I want to see a Gary Cooper film in the old west setting

Speaking of horsepower

One of the reasons why I'm such a big Cooper fan is because I've become addicted to great western movies. He made so many terrific ones, but "High Noon" is perhaps a good place to begin one's Gary Cooper fan-dom. It's one of the all-time classic films of any type; here's a teaser:

18. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Diesel Jetta, mk1 jetta (gas)
      07-23-2011 10:05 PM #88
      Compelling story from start to finish

Thread even more interesting now that Larry gives some sidebars on Cooper, legends and fun stuff

My manager was concerned, he said "Mitch, don't use liquor as a crutch." I can't use liquor as a crutch... because a crutch helps me walk. Liquor severely screws up the way I walk.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      two Audis, 79 wabbit diesel, two 84 jettas/85 jetta TD
      07-24-2011 01:56 AM #89
      Show moved to St. John's from Meadowbrook.

Shot of a 740 Roadster at Meadowbrook a while back in the sunlight.

Stunning

Quote Originally Posted by Blackohio
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      so basically the OP has no clue about anything and just posts out of his ass?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-24-2011 07:13 AM #90
      That orange roadster is a textbook example of what constitutes genuine Classic Era design. As someone who studies such things, it has long astounded me how automobile manufacturing, as a whole, internationally, seemed to absolutely LEAP, in just a few years' time, into this golden age of fine design. All the way throught the 1920s, automobiles had remained primitive looking and "spindly", retaining way too much of their horseless carriage-days design traits, with poor proportions, crude detailing on all but the most expensive cars, and an overall unappealing look of "a bunch of parts thrown together", at least IMO.

Then, in a flash, it seems everything began to change greatly. I'll even name the year...1928. Harley Earl was hired by GM to "style" (it was a brand-new term coined by Earl) the 1927 LaSalle, which he did, and created a whole new look for automobiles. The '27 LaSalle borrowed a few cues from current Hispano Suizas, but Earl took design to a new level of sophisticated proportioning, integrated elements, thoughtful detailing, and most importantly, a look that said "modern", even to our eyes almost 90 years later. Compare these two cars; one a typical "Roaring 20s" design, to the 1927 LaSalle. This was the turning point for automotive design to enter the Classic Era, of which the orange Packard above is so emblematic:

1926 Chrysler. A fine automobile, but it still looks "horse and buggy"-ish:

1927 LaSalle. Earl himself at the wheel. Notice the "sugar scoop" fenders, and the overall feeling of fully-evolved proportioning, along with the careful placement of the lighting elements, etc. This was the first car of the Classic Era, and it looks nearly as current as any car built years later. It left the horseless carriage era behind, and the rest of the industry followed suit.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2011 11:47 AM #91
      Much appreciated, Larry.

Artfully described as to why I often "feel" the lines and style of a car works wonders but can't quite put my finger on the particulars as what it is that pulls it off so well.

You give me a chance to focus in on what is making the statement so well. And, of course, the life and times of people involved just make it all the mo' bettah.

Keep it up. And yes I know that you've described some of these elements in previous threads, but it's always nice to hear it stated in a fresh approach to the environment of that era.

Looks like St. John's is gearing up for next weekend.

Caroline Oberst, of Grosse Pointe Woods, left and Rebekah Decker, of Grand Rapids stand beside a 1969 Mercedes 280 SL during media preview of the Concours d' Elegance of America held at St. John's in Plymouth, Mich., on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The hood ornament of a 1931 Cadillac Fleetwood Sport Phaeton during media preview of the Concours d' Elegance of America held at St. John's in Plymouth, Mich., on Tuesday, July 12, 2011.
      From the sublime to the just strange.

What the hell?

Joe Bortz jumps the ropes to show the crowd details of his 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne at the Concours d'Elegance of America at Meadow Brook on the grounds of Meadow Brook Hall in Rochester, Sunday,July 25, 2010.
      Sez it's a '55 Biscayne.... really? On what planet?

I mean somebody's got some explaining to do here. And yes, I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to some of these one off or concept/prototype cars
      Built in boost gauge in the dash. One of my friends at the time saw that turbo was on theoretical empty and asked if we needed to stop and get more turbo. I gave it gas and he was like wait, its full now. Had to quickly explain the process.

07-24-2011 11:49 AM #92
      Joe Bortz collects prototypes, mostly salvaged from Warhoops scrap yard, where they were supposed to be crushed.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

23. Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2011 11:53 AM #93
      Dang, Barry. That was quick.

Faster than I could google Bortz and Biscayne

Yep... wow

Joe Bortzs 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne

Motor Trend Classic readers know Joe Bortz. He’s the Chicago-based restaurant mogul and car collector who has been buying and restoring concept cars from the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s for nearly four decades. I’ve been fortunate enough to drive five of Bortz’s cars and write about them for Classic. His 1953 Buick Wildcat I and 1954 Pontiac Bonneville-Special GM Motorama cars were on the cover of Issue 5. His 1955 Chrysler Falcon, 1957 Chrysler Diablo and 1966 Duesenberg Model D, all Ghia-built Virgil Exner designs, were in this summer’s Issue 10.

All Motorama cars would have been crushed or drawn-and-quartered, if not for the crafty purveyors of Warhoops, the junkyard about 10 miles north of GM’s Tech Center, where the concepts — “dream cars” in ’50s vernacular — were to be destroyed.; All except the ’54 Bonneville; Bortz proudly calls the Pontiac the “most original” concept extant. It was titled to a GM employee after it made the showcar rounds, and Bortz bought it from that employee 30-some years ago.

The Buick Wildcat wasn’t so lucky. Bortz’s long-time car handler, Paul Peterlin, told me in 2006 that he could find only three of the car’s original roto-static hubcaps (they remain steady, the Buick logo stays upright as the wheels turn). A fabricator took two years to make the fourth out of a Weber grill cover.

That’s the way one- or two-off dream cars are restored. There are no parts cars, although many production pieces can be used. The Wildcat and Bonneville-Special are powered by production Buick and Pontiac engines, and the Chrysler Falcon and Dart have production Hemis.

Same with Bortz’s latest re-creation, the 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne. It was designed to show off Chevy’s new small block, and it’s now powered by a 265 cubic-inch V-8 from a vintage production car. Warhoops had to cut the Biscayne into three parts; the top and front clip were in separate pieces. Bortz’s son found the car at Warhoops in 1988. It wasn’t until GM sent original blueprints for the car in ’96 that Bortz had Hopperstad Custom of Belvidere, Illinois, begin restoration. They had to build a chassis for the fiberglass body, and add structure inside.

It looks great.

The Motorama Biscayne is far from the most handsome concept ever built. The bugeye headlamps point skyward when the hood is opened, of course, while the denture-like maw below it lacks the cuteness of the Austin-Healey Sprite that debuted three years later. The Biscayne’s side scallops hint at the ’56 Corvette’s, though they’re reversed and run from the front door back.

The 2+2 four-door hardtop (the ’55 Buicks and Oldsmobiles introduced this bodystyle, but Chevy wouldn’t get it until ’56) has frameless suicide doors, one particular area where Hopperstad had to add structure. While the Biscayne has a front-mounted V-8, its tail also hints at the 1960 Corvair.

Bortz showed the reconstructed, but unrestored Biscayne at the Pebble Beach Concours a couple of summers ago. Last weekend, he unveiled the fully restored, mint green-on-mint green Biscayne at the Concours d’Elegance of America, at Oakland, Michigan’s Meadow Brook. He called his display a “mini-Motorama,” featuring the Buick Wildcat I, Pontiac Bonneville-Special and 1953 Pontiac Parisienne.

Ed Welburn, the sixth and current GM design chief, was pretty excited to see the 55-year-old Chevy, and he showed his weakness for Buick, asking Bortz if he could sit in the Wildcat. Welburn is busy getting GM design in order. He’s made great strides with Buick by referring to its past — especially its early ’50s heyday — without going retro. The Chevy Cruze owes nothing, as far as I can see, to the Motorama Biscayne. Except, as analyst Jim Hall pointed out to me, this: it’s a semi-premium compact Chevy. There’s nothing in the Biscayne’s design that suggests the compacts Detroit would introduce in the following decade should be priced below full-size deluxe models.

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/joe-bort...#ixzz1T2RlNBBH

07-24-2011 11:55 AM #94
      He's tried to buy my car a couple of times. It's fun to say no.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

25. Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2011 12:21 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      He's tried to buy my car a couple of times. It's fun to say no.
      Hot damn!

That's great

Might as well bring back the feel of a previous era with some great big band music.

Meadowbrook 2010 and the Bortz-mobiles

Wonder who is playing??? Love the drum intro and the trumpet at the end to bookend the whole flavor of the sound

Snazzy!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Audi GT coupe, '83 jetta coupe, 85 jetta TD
      07-24-2011 01:54 PM #96
      Another shot from the preview for the St. John's show

It's a (gasp) Cord!

(but don't tell Larry.... heh.)

A 1937 Cord Beverly during media preview at the Concours d' Elegance of America held at St. John's in Plymouth, Mich., on Tuesday, July 12, 2011.
      “I wasn't trying to wreck him, I just wanted to rattle his cage.”... Dale Earnhardt
      Quote Originally Posted by porridgehead
      It's all about the tires. I drove my M3 in the snow. With the summer tires on, it was the safest car in the world in the snow. In fact, it was a statue. You could not make it move with half an inch of snow on the ground.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-24-2011 02:05 PM #97
      The Biscayne was saved by one of the true heroes of automobiling, Joe Bortz. He's a miracle worker; simple as that. Warhoops saved the carcasses, to their everlasting credit, and Bortz resurrected them. God bless'im.

07-24-2011 02:06 PM #98
      Hero? Hardly. He's a businessman, nothing more.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-24-2011 02:12 PM #99
      You know all these people and circulate amongst them, Barry. I only have my fantasies. Don't take them away from me.

07-24-2011 02:30 PM #100
      Sorry, Larry. Heros, IMO, must have some degree of altruism. I just don't see that.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-24-2011 03:49 PM #101
      Let's split the difference, then. If Bortz hadn't, for whatever reasons known only to him, resuced these cars and invested in their restoration, they wouldn't be around to appreciate and celebrate at all. He did enthusiasts a service, even if unintended.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-24-2011 03:55 PM #102
      Let's split the difference, then. If Bortz hadn't, for whatever reasons known only to him, resuced these cars and invested in their restoration, they wouldn't be around to appreciate and celebrate at all. He did enthusiasts a service, even if unintended.
      Agreed, saving those cars was a public service in my opinion.

07-24-2011 04:13 PM #103
      If that helps you sleep at night, Larry, so be it. To me, the people that deserve praise are the people that literally bring these cars back from the dead, the people that have learned the old skills. Those are the people that have kept these cars available for the public to see.

The people that are truly heroic are the ones that contribute their hard work to bring about a show like Concours of America, Pebble or Amelia Island. Most are 501 (c) (3) charities that pass through most of the proceeds to needy organizations or venues. Having served on car and art selection committees and boards of directors for various Concours I can tell you, first hand, that there's an incredible amount of volunteer work that goes on behind the scenes, starting the day that the previous show ends. On show day there are hundreds of volunteers that guide us to our spots and cater to our needs. Those are the car heros, all.
      Last edited by barry2952; 07-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

34. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      07-24-2011 06:34 PM #104
      From Meadowbrook Hall

to St. John's

Grand presentation of automobiles

Diane Herdade, and Mike Malley, both of Troy stand beside a 1929 Duesenberg Model J Town Car during media preview at the Concours d' Elegance of America held at St. John's in Plymouth, Mich., on Tuesday, July 12, 2011.

Owners drive their 1929 Duesenburg Model J Town Car during media preview at the Concours d' Elegance of America held at St. John's in Plymouth, Mich., on Tuesday, July 12, 2011.

A 1929 Duesenberg Model J Town Car, left, and a 1929 Lincoln Convertible during media preview of the Concours d' Elegance of America held at St. John's in Plymouth, Mich., on Tuesday, July 12, 2011.
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit
      07-24-2011 07:55 PM #105
      This color combo is really sweet in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton
      If everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking.
      Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
      In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast