Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Heads up, Larry~! 1930 birthdate for this Packard... 1910 birthdate for the driver....

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-26-2011 12:22 PM #126
      In many ways, Barry, that photograph of the Porsche, Talbot Lago, and Packard is so representative of the kaleidoscopic variety that composes the world of automobiles. From large and imposing, heavy and powerful, to light and nimble and moderately powered, and those in between, they cover a lot of philosophical, engineering, and technical ground. Those 3 cars represent what I love so much about automobiles. One can study them for one's entire life, and still not get to the end of the story. I like that.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      07-26-2011 05:15 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by a1veedubber View Post
      Man, that blue Packard is absolutely gorgeous from every angle. The red four door convertible next to it looks interesting as well!

The red 4 door....fantastic.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '68 Datsun Roadster
      07-26-2011 06:01 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Powderkeg View Post

The red 4 door....fantastic.

I'm liking this thread a lot.

So might as well give a first post with a picture of the Sport Phaeton.

That is some sleek beast. Even with the top up

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-26-2011 07:43 PM #129
      Is this really TCL? With all this Packard love?? Well, awright!
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi GT, old (but not tired) 84 jetta
      07-26-2011 10:30 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Is this really TCL? With all this Packard love?? Well, awright!
      Well, it's not a dream, Larry.

couple more shots of the '34 models just for fun.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      mk1 jetta
      07-27-2011 10:21 AM #131
      Nothing like a little sunlight to liven the pictures up some.

Another set of cars at the media preview at St. John's

'31 Cadillac with a Cord in the background.

That's the dumbest goddamned bunch of jerkoffs I have EVER seen.
      Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
      When people say "clean as a whistle", they forget that a whistle is full of spit

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-27-2011 11:38 AM #132
      I enjoy looking at a photograph of 2 1930s cars such as the one above, and placing myself, mentally, back in the mid-thirties, as a car enthusiast, and absolutely marvelling at the way automobiles, and automotive design, have progressed in just a few short years. Those two cars, just 5 or so years apart, look like they're from different planets. An amazing decade.

07-27-2011 11:43 AM #133
      Actually, I'd say the Caddy styling was an anachronism and the Cord was ahead of its time.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-27-2011 12:00 PM #134
      That's mostly true, but in any case the point still stands. The general population of automobiles largely reflected a similar degree of great progress during those years, on all fronts. For example, all automobiles, from the cheapest to the mightiest, still rolled along on cart-spring suspension systems in 1930 (except for Lancia, of course ), while, by 1935, independent front A-arm/coil spring front suspension was becoming commonplace on GM cars, and other makes, too. Hydraulic braking was mandatory for any contemporary car by '35, except for Henry's cars, of course, and this was a HUGE leap in automotive safety/drivability/comfort/control over the old cable or rod actuated brakes that were prevalent just a few years earlier.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      07-27-2011 12:42 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by TopDown_ View Post
      If only the front wheels were covered to match the back. It would be perfect
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

11. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-27-2011 02:24 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
      '31 Cadillac with a Cord in the background.

Wait. That's a Hudson in the background.

A+ thread, guys.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

07-27-2011 03:05 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      If only the front wheels were covered to match the back. It would be perfect
      How would you turn?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      07-27-2011 03:43 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      How would you turn?
      Well widen the front pontoons a few inches. Do I gotta think of everything around here?
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

07-27-2011 03:44 PM #139
      I guess not.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      07-27-2011 03:48 PM #140
      I guess not.
      x1000

16. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-27-2011 03:56 PM #141
      How would you turn?
      Poorly, I assume. You'd have to ask the man that owns one.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      07-27-2011 05:18 PM #142
      So I take it that the front wheels turn right and left (sort of ) but the spats stay in place.

That can't make for that much of a turning circle.

Phantom Corsair of 1938.... sort of beat hammered out panels and then set on a Cord chassis?

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      07-27-2011 05:37 PM #143
      Makes me think of a 1930's Batmobile.
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

07-27-2011 05:58 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Poorly, I assume. You'd have to ask the man that owns one.

In order to have any turning radius at all the wheels had to be set way inboard, giving it kind of a retarded look from the front and rear. The early 356 was like that, too, its least attractive feature.

Look behind the Scarab. We both received nearly the highest awards at Eyes on Design in 2003. We received the "Automotive Design of Exceptional Merit". Mine was awarded by Tom Gale, Chrysler designer. I cherish that award above all others.

That is a very cool show. It benefits the Detroit Institute of Opthalmology, featuring judging by a group of white-gloved blind people. They pick some some interesting automobiles. I get almost the same feedback when polishing my cars that are sculptural, like the Porsche. I know the car so well, I could probably wax it blindfolded.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1993 Mazda MX-6, 79 rusty bunny
      07-27-2011 07:07 PM #145
      Nice to hear about the different judging panels you've faced, Barry.

Always great to hear some of the background bits and pieces of these showcase venues.

And always fun to see the photos of the strange creations, as in that black stealth auto.

Even though I've seen pictures of it before, it's really amazing to look at from several different angles

That Phantom Corsair is simply super-slick~!!

(though I'm not quite sure the name Scarab is the correct identifier, perhaps you are using Scarab more as a describer of another beetle shape)

Quote Originally Posted by mitch hedberg
      I drive a rental car, I don't know what's going on with it, right? So a lot of times I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      How hard is that to understand without getting your panties in a bunch?
      Surely some of you guys managed to make it out of middle school.

07-27-2011 07:23 PM #146
      You are correct. A friend of mine owns a Stout Scarab and I get the names mixed up.

I watched it being restored. very cool project.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-27-2011 08:38 PM #147
      The extreme solution to the problem of steered wheels covered by sheetmetal was taken most famously by Nash, when they built the aerodynamically designed Airflyte for 1949. The front track was inordinately narrow; much narrower than the rear track, and even so, the maximum angle the steered wheels could take was very shallow, which made these cars difficult in U-turns and certain parking situations. But Nils Walberg, Nash's visionary chief engineer, went ahead with the project, compromises and all, in the interest of advancing automotive aerodynamics and efficiency via the shrouding of all four wheels in a smooth enclosure:

In recent years, Ford Motor Company revisited the possibilities of shrouded steered wheels with its major concept showcase of the early eighties, the Probe IV. With this car, the front wheels steered normally, and had "hat" inner fenders that enclosed the wheels to mid-point. The outer skin adjacent to the tire and wheel was made of a flexible polymer that the hat, when the wheels were steered into the outer skin, would cause to stretch out of the way, and then resume its original profile when the wheels straightened out. Oddball, but interesting:

23. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-27-2011 09:12 PM #148
      In recent years, Ford Motor Company revisited the possibilities of shrouded steered wheels with its major concept showcase of the early eighties, the Probe IV. With this car, the front wheels steered normally, and had "hat" inner fenders that enclosed the wheels to mid-point. The outer skin adjacent to the tire and wheel was made of a flexible polymer that the hat, when the wheels were steered into the outer skin, would cause to stretch out of the way, and then resume its original profile when the wheels straightened out. Oddball, but interesting:

I remember that layout and almost mentioned that. I don't think I've ever seen the actual photos of the car, I've only seen the plan drawings (In Popular Mechanics, I think). It's a very ingenious solution in my opinion.

24. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-27-2011 09:14 PM #149
      A friend of mine owns a Stout Scarab...
      OK, that's so damn cool I can't stand it!

My friends with 'exotic' cars are driving things like old Triumphs, MR2s and 356s. I don't know anyone with anything as wacky as a Stout Scarab.

07-27-2011 09:24 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      OK, that's so damn cool I can't stand it!

My friends with 'exotic' cars are driving things like old Triumphs, MR2s and 356s. I don't know anyone with anything as wacky as a Stout Scarab.
      He owns the body shop that resurrected our flattened Porsche. Actually, he owns a chain of high-end body shops. My Porsche was always in good company. I would stop in and see the progress on the Scarab. I believe he told me that his car was used as a map vehicle for US command during WWII. It may have been BS, but it makes a great story. It had a flathead Ford in the rear and a woven bamboo headliner. It appeared to me to be a very early minivan.

I've seen him buy a classic or sports car, just to keep his top employees busy during slack times. His cars are perfect and he has a Ferrari in his foyer. What's not to like?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast