Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Heads up, Larry~! 1930 birthdate for this Packard... 1910 birthdate for the driver....

07-29-2011 10:12 PM #201

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      07-29-2011 11:08 PM #202
      Barry:

Love going thru your Packard photo library.

Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Jetta TD
      07-30-2011 01:02 AM #203
      Loving all these shots. Barry has really seen a boatload of these amazing curvy creations.

I'm not normally a fan of black cars, but this thing looks awesome from almost every viewpoint.

Last edited by Jesarray; 07-30-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 5-speed
      07-30-2011 02:01 AM #204
      Plenty of eye candy in here! Anyone out here on the other coast ought to try to make it down for the annual Packards International show held each January in Orange, CA.

My favorites so far are the blue '34 streamliner and the following example (the split windshield really does set that design off!):

Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

I know it's the wrong year, but I figure you all might like this photo I took a while back. You can get the full-res version by clicking the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I'm not even old, and sometimes I feel old.
      Interested in roads and road trips? Head on over to the Road Trip Forum.

How about old, forgotten highways? Check out the old roads thread.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      mk1 jetta
      07-30-2011 09:27 AM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by Entwerfer des Audis View Post

My favorites so far are the blue '34 streamliner and the following example (the split windshield really does set that design off!):

Love hi res!!

The blue '34 streamliner. This refers to the dark blue aero sport coupe below?

Just trying to get the lingo right here as I couldn't find a car labeled "streamliner". Regardless of what it's called, gorgeous.

That's the dumbest goddamned bunch of jerkoffs I have EVER seen.
      Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
      When people say "clean as a whistle", they forget that a whistle is full of spit

07-30-2011 09:44 AM #206
      Amelia Island 2009

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-30-2011 10:42 AM #207
      Quote Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
      Love hi res!!

The blue '34 streamliner. This refers to the dark blue aero sport coupe below?

Just trying to get the lingo right here as I couldn't find a car labeled "streamliner". Regardless of what it's called, gorgeous.

The name of this car is 'Aero Sport Coupe", and it was bodied by LeBaron. I love the term "streamline", and it was coined in the thirties to give a name to all the new industrial designs that featured the new, teardrop-themed look. At that time it was generally accepted that a rain, or teardrop was nature's most perfect aerodynamic shape, thus what you see on so many products, and not just automobiles, of that era. It captured the public's imagination to the point that even to this day, decades later, many people still use the word "streamlined" when referring to anything that is sleek and/or aerodynamic looking.

The famous industrial (and automotive) designer, Raymond Loewy, capitalized on streamlining in his work during the thirties. One wouldn't link aerodynamics with pencil sharpeners immediately, but somehow Loewy brought the two together to fine effect in 1933. Just one of the hundreds of streamlined products of the time:

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

07-30-2011 11:15 AM #208
      Ault Park Concours, Cincinnati.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

07-30-2011 11:16 AM #209
      Please observe the way people are dressed in my Concours photos. They are very casual events.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1963 Volvo 1800 S, '84 jetta
      07-30-2011 12:52 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Please observe the way people are dressed in my Concours photos. They are very casual events.
      Duly noted.

Barry, this is great. I'm getting an online education in something I've always been curious about.

Not the same as the real thing, obviously, but very helpful nonetheless.

If you've seen one Packard... well, you definitely haven't seen them all

The photographer in me wants to know what you were shooting the pics with and whether you were using any filters. Looks like somewhat difficult shooting in strong sunlight but that's when the show is happening and you probably shoot when you can.

And you have shot an awful lot of Packards. Thanks!

Love the red.

Quote Originally Posted by cartalk
      "As near as I could tell, the car was built from compressed rust."

07-30-2011 03:17 PM #211
      Point and shoot Canon. That's the limit of my skills.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 mini cooper S, '83 jetta
      07-30-2011 03:18 PM #212
      The name of this car is 'Aero Sport Coupe", and it was bodied by LeBaron. I love the term "streamline", and it was coined in the thirties to give a name to all the new industrial designs that featured the new, teardrop-themed look. At that time it was generally accepted that a rain, or teardrop was nature's most perfect aerodynamic shape, thus what you see on so many products, and not just automobiles, of that era. It captured the public's imagination to the point that even to this day, decades later, many people still use the word "streamlined" when referring to anything that is sleek and/or aerodynamic looking.

Thanks, Larry. Love the sleek look.

Quote Originally Posted by wantacad View Post
      hey now, unbolting the rear bumper, dropping the beam and gas tank to change out an exhaust hanger is perfectly normal.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Jetta TD
      07-30-2011 05:40 PM #213
      Magnificent automobile and a really charming woman from the sounds of it.

At 101, she pretty much lights up for the camera and storytelling.

Delightful!

Wonderful thread.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-30-2011 05:49 PM #214

The picture made me remember the one time I was privileged to ride in a car with a rumble seat. It was a 1932 Chevrolet coupe that belonged to our neighborhood mailman, in the early seventies. The coolest part of that ride was when the owner's wife rolled down the rear window, and we could talk back and forth with them inside the car. Rumble seats are a bitch to get into and out of, but oh what fun to ride in!
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

07-30-2011 07:01 PM #215
      Eyes on Design

Blind judge.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

07-30-2011 07:27 PM #216
      Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles 2008

Recognize this guy? He always has a beautiful, scantily clad, young woman on his arm.

I just realized that I didn't take these pictures as I kept seeing myself as I looked for Packards. My friend Glenn took them. You may note that we have a different perspective.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-30-2011 07:52 PM #217

Boy does that "cigarette cream" color work like a charm on such a machine. Jussssst riggggghhhhhtttt.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Jetta TD
      07-31-2011 01:22 AM #218
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post

Blind judge.

This really exemplifies the devotion and dedication to appreciating the art of the fine automobile better than 10 paragraphs of trying to describe it.

Wonderful and compelling shot, Barry.

You've really catalogued a mountain of cars and it seems to extend well beyond the Packard realm.

I've always loved that era of Buick convertibles as well.

Nice to see your archival work come thru in this thread.

Jesse Arrayo

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-31-2011 06:52 AM #219
      Nice observation about the blind car show judge.

Someone earlier mentioned how they enjoyed the way a certain split windshield looked on a Packard model. It was a design by Ray Dietrich, and I too always notice his designs because of the particular and unique way he designed the windshields on his cars, with that distinctive V-shape and the larger glass area that's surrounded by a very thin border of chrome. Here is another Dietrich Packard coupe. It's stunning, and all the moreso because of that beautiful and unique windshield treatment:

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-31-2011 07:00 AM #220
      Barry, have you ever come across this car at a show? It's not an "original" vintage Packard in the sense that it was created in its era, but rather, a beautifully and faithfully executed customized 1951 Packard-based creation known as the "Dolphin". It was built IIRC in the nineties or early '00s by a designer named Peter Portugal, and is his beautiful conception of what a Pininfarina Packard from the early fifties might have looked like if it had been constructed. I think it's stunning, and shows not a sign anywhere of being from the modern era:

Last edited by vwlarry; 07-31-2011 at 07:05 AM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk1 Scirocco, '83 TD Jetta
      07-31-2011 09:14 AM #221
      Barry, have you ever come across this car at a show? It's not an "original" vintage Packard in the sense that it was created in its era, but rather, a beautifully and faithfully executed customized 1951 Packard-based creation known as the "Dolphin". It was built IIRC in the nineties or early '00s by a designer named Peter Portugal, and is his beautiful conception of what a Pininfarina Packard from the early fifties might have looked like if it had been constructed. I think it's stunning, and shows not a sign anywhere of being from the modern era:

Hi, Larry. Love the exploration out into the world of these vehicle designs.

I am wondering, though, if the name "Dolphin", though applies to the car pictured above or is more referring to this other Peter Portugal vehicle below.

(the one you showed actually looks a heck of a lot more like a dolphin than the woody creation, but the web seems to call the lower one that playful mammal.)

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      07-31-2011 09:32 AM #222
      I'm unsure of the correct car to call "Dolphin" too. Portugal's webpage doesn't really make it clear, but both cars are very well-done. Speaking of wooden Packards, here are two pretty notable ones. The first is a 1941 One-Eighty station wagon with a very special custom body. These '41 Packards were, btw, the very first automobiles to have factory air-conditioning available as an option.

My favorite Packard woody is the postwar "pregnant elephant" 1948 wagons. The woodwork relieves these rather "fat" looking cars of some of their portliness, IMO, and they even look kind of sleek and sexy, at least from the rear. The first "sport wagon"?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      MkI Jetta TD
      07-31-2011 11:18 AM #223
      I don't know, Larry. Some of the views of the wood '48 wagon look nice enough

But that pregnant elephant doesn't really quite get there by adding some grain to the body.

Kinda looks like a piece of lumber that someone went crazy with using a rather wide router attachment.

But opinions do vary

I take that back. Once you close the lid on the dark colored one you pictured, it actually seems to pull it off well enough. (and put back on the fender skirts which were lacking in the green one)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry2952
      I dragged her back to see the $4,500 Pacer. She hated it, but we bought it. She went home and cried. (when we sold it) my wife put an ad in the newspaper. A woman came out to look at the car. She said, "I really didn't go out looking for a Pacer." My wife replied, "Lady, nobody goes out looking for a Pacer. It's eighteen hundred bucks, take it or leave it!" The woman took it and drove away smiling. My wife cried.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Honda S2000, 85 jetta
      07-31-2011 01:06 PM #224
      Listed as a 1952 Packard Pinin Farina Coupe

(or as a '51 Packard Concept Car Pininfarina GT style

Earned the Best 1946-1954 American Closed Car Award at the Greenwich Concours 2005 by Peter Portugal)

Nice and low down.

Last edited by TopDown_; 07-31-2011 at 01:09 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kelton
      The difference between being in a relationship and being in prison is that in prisons they let you play softball on the weekends
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cotter
      There was an old woman that lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. How about you quit screwing, ya hosebag!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 rabbit, 85 jetta
      07-31-2011 03:21 PM #225
      Another one off:

Packard Panther. Personal car built for McCauley, Packard's director of styling in 1951.

Super long rear deck

Last edited by Balderdash; 07-31-2011 at 04:05 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
      All of the rust, bondo, and patchwork done with old street signs gives them the crash safety of a cake decoration.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast