VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dishonored...

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-13-2012 01:43 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      Your chaos level must be off the chart.

I'm not normally a gamer, and I haven't purchased a game in years. Still, I did buy Thief when it was first released and I really liked it, so this seemed like a natural for me. I bought it on opening day.

Wow. Just wow. This game is beautiful. It is so open-ended, offering a dizzying array of choices as far as what to do and how to accomplish it. A co-worker bought it at the same time, and every day he and I compare experiences and share our sheer joy. I cannot believe how much I am enjoying this game.
      XBOX, PS or PC?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-13-2012 03:07 PM #37
      Is this a good sneaker-type game? I'm debating whether or not I should buy.

EDIT: After some research this game looks good. Downloading now. Use the coupon code below at http://www.greenmangaming.com/ to get $11.99 off. That's $48. Code expires Oct 19. Steam account required.

GMG20-FXYD1-7WHP1
      Last edited by Sledge; 10-13-2012 at 04:15 PM.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

3. 10-13-2012 06:19 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      XBOX, PS or PC?
      PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Is this a good sneaker-type game?
      Not only yes, but hell yes. The cool thing is, you can decide exactly how much you sneak. You can attempt to go through the entire game without killing a single person--the game lets you come behind someone and choke then into unconsciousness, or you can use sleep darts in your crossbow, or you can find creative ways for NPCs to turn on each other, etc. If that isn't your thing, you can use your sword and perform some pretty fancy evisceration. It's entirely up to you.

I think you made the right choice. Even at the $60 I paid for it, this game is a great deal.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-13-2012 06:26 PM #39
      PS3.

Not only yes, but hell yes. The cool thing is, you can decide exactly how much you sneak. You can attempt to go through the entire game without killing a single person--the game lets you come behind someone and choke then into unconsciousness, or you can use sleep darts in your crossbow, or you can find creative ways for NPCs to turn on each other, etc. If that isn't your thing, you can use your sword and perform some pretty fancy evisceration. It's entirely up to you.

I think you made the right choice. Even at the $60 I paid for it, this game is a great deal.
      I just finished the training missions (escape). No deaths. Total stealth. I'm going to enjoy this.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

5. 10-13-2012 06:38 PM #40
      I just finished the training missions (escape).
      You've made it to the Pub already, eh? Nice.

No deaths. Total stealth. I'm going to enjoy this.
      Dude, just wait until you start Blinking.
      Dempsey Bowling
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-13-2012 08:01 PM #41
      yeah my Chaos is high. Just finish the mission royal physician, managed to sneak up kill 56 people and they all turned to ash so much fun
      ...remember, short controlled bursts

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta
      Origin: VTMTK_Vendetta
      Youtube: InsertCoinToBegin

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-14-2012 12:03 PM #42
      I really hate those overseer's with the music box things.

edit These guys:

Dishonored 2012-10-14 16-15-34-36 by bespokemachine, on Flickr

Also, SPOILER ALERT

did this happen to anyone else, when you meet up with Slackjaw and he tells you to get information from him in exchange for an easier way to get into the Golden Cat, when you leave his office, all of his men attack you, who previously didn't seem to mind you. then after you get the note card for him, when you bring it back, Slackjaw attacks you. I ended up killing him and making my own way through the Golden Cat (instead of the back door by Granny Rags).

End spoiler
      Last edited by theBOYER; 10-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-14-2012 12:48 PM #43
      Just finished the second mission with the high overseer. Oh no... a knife in the back is too good for him. I branded his face with the heretic brand. Enjoy the rest of your life as a street beggar, punk!

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-14-2012 12:49 PM #44
      Just finished the second mission with the high overseer. Oh no... a knife in the back is too good for him. I branded his face with the heretic brand. Enjoy the rest of your life as a street beggar, punk!
      Nice, I just choked him out and tossed him in the fireplace.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

10. 10-14-2012 03:43 PM #45
      Re: SPOILER ALERT, I was never attacked by Slackjaw or his (non-infected) men. I do recall when another NPC told me about Slackjaw and how you never know how he will react; perhaps this was a result of your Chaos working against you.

BTW: I'm inside the Golden Cat at the moment.
      Dempsey Bowling

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-14-2012 04:14 PM #46
      Just finished the second mission (rescue in the Golden Cat). Once again, a knife in the back for the Pendleton brothers is too good for them. They're now mutes slaving away in one of their own mines a mile below ground. Bon appetit, bitches!

And, of course, no kills. This is too fun. I even choked out the blinking assassins that came after me after I talked to Slackjaw.
      Last edited by Sledge; 10-14-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-14-2012 06:51 PM #47
      Just finished the second mission (rescue in the Golden Cat). Once again, a knife in the back for the Pendleton brothers is too good for them. They're now mutes slaving away in one of their own mines a mile below ground. Bon appetit, bitches!

And, of course, no kills. This is too fun. I even choked out the blinking assassins that came after me after I talked to Slackjaw.
      I guess because of my chaos level, I got a visit from 4 blinking assassins. good thing I have all my base powers:

Dishonored 2012-10-14 16-31-30-69 by bespokemachine, on Flickr

once I finish the game all the way through, I'm going to try it with no kills, no detection. Best $60 i've spent in a while.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-14-2012 06:54 PM #48
      Top Chef: Dishonored:

Dishonored 2012-10-14 16-17-57-55 by bespokemachine, on Flickr

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-14-2012 06:59 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by theBOYER View Post
      I only have Blink II right now. I have may 15-20 runes to spend but I'm going to see if I can get through with only Blink.

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-14-2012 07:34 PM #50
      SOOOOOO many weepers, why! why did i decided to kill everything that moves

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      10-14-2012 08:37 PM #51
      just ordered this. Can't wait to get it in a few days!
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-14-2012 09:16 PM #52
      This is one of the reasons why I'm doing no kill. I got a reward from Piero for providing a live weeper. For the party mission, I got two runes for not killing the target and dueling for the honor of Lord Pendelton (I used a sleep dart instead of the gun).

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      just ordered this. Can't wait to get it in a few days!
      This is why I love Steam (and my 100Mb internet connection). Bought it and had it within 10 minutes
      Last edited by Sledge; 10-14-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      10-14-2012 09:23 PM #53
      This is one of the reasons why I'm doing no kill. I got a reward from Piero for providing a live weeper. For the party mission, I got two runes for not killing the target and dueling for the honor of Lord Pendelton (I used a sleep dart instead of the gun).

This is why I love Steam (and my 100Mb internet connection). Bought it and had it within 10 minutes
      getting it for free is worth the wait

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-14-2012 10:39 PM #54

well since you're taking the clean hands route, here's how I chose to take out Lady Boyle:

the Duel was fun, I blinked and used controlled adrenaline attack to sever his head clean off.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-14-2012 11:20 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      getting it for free is worth the wait

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-15-2012 10:41 AM #56
      15 minutes or so into the flood district. can't wait to see how to story line differs form what I am getting shafted with now and what would happen if I had low chaos

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

22. 10-15-2012 12:45 PM #57
      15 minutes or so into the flood district. can't wait to see how to story line differs form what I am getting shafted with now and what would happen if I had low chaos
      My co-worker who introduced me to this game emailed me a link to an article about the chaos system in Dishonored. Here's what it has to tell us:

Quote Originally Posted by PC Gamer article
      Dishonored judges how ruthless you’ve been with an end-of-mission stat called Chaos. It affects a lot about the way the game works out for you, but the game itself doesn’t fully explain how it works. I misunderstood it, and accidentally committed myself to a darker path than I wanted.

The game also rates you on two entirely optional criteria: whether you were detected, and whether you killed anyone. For the most part it’s obvious how to avoid these, but there are some subtleties to how they’re calculated that could cause you to fail them without realising.

Happily, Bethesda sent us all the juicy details of how Chaos, detection and kills are calculated, so we can tell you.

Low Chaos

What caught me out with Chaos was the fact that the end of mission screen calls it “Chaos (current total)”. I got ‘High’ after my first mission, and since it’s a total, I thought it was already too late to ever get ‘Low’, so I didn’t try to avoid killing after that.

It’s not. If you get High Chaos on the first mission but then don’t kill many people on the next few, it’ll go back to Low. In other words, redemption is possible.

But it’s still not that easy to get Low Chaos. Here’s what Bethesda say about how it’s calculated and what it means:

Chaos is a value that is adjusted according to the actions of your character during gameplay. This system is a hidden mechanic and you will only see the Chaos rating displayed during the ‘end mission’ Stats screen.

The basic rule is killing less than 20% of the characters in a Mission should allow the Low Chaos rating to be sustained.

Your character’s Chaos level will change the story outcome and lead to other various differences throughout gameplay, such as more enemy characters, more rats, or different scenes/environment items and conversations.

Kills by Rewired traps will contribute to player kill amounts and Chaos; that’s Watchtowers, Arc Pylons, and Wall of Lights.

Rats, Hagfish and River Krust do not raise Chaos if killed. They also do not count towards detection of your character.

Wolfhound kills do not count towards Chaos, but they can detect your character. Wolfhounds can discover bodies, and their corpses will count towards “bodies found”.

Weepers do count for detection. They do raise the Chaos level if they are killed.

The best method for regaining a Low Chaos rating is to not kill enemy characters and take stealth routes to avoid combat when playing through a mission.

There are scenarios where performing a good deed will drop the Chaos rating by a small amount (Example: saving a character that is in distress).

Following “Non-lethal” objectives will decrease chaos by a significant amount when the mission is completed.

No kills

Not hiding bodies well enough after choking them out or sleep darting them can sometimes lead to other characters finding them or may lead to nearby rats cleaning them up, counting as a kill towards your character’s stats.

Unconscious characters won’t survive a fall from a great height, or a slip into the water which will also result in a kill towards your character stats.

Ghost

All characters and creatures count as detecting the player character, with the exception of friendly characters, Rats, River Krust, Hagfish and Watchtowers. This is evidenced by the red bolt icons upon detection.

Friendly characters will turn into a detection if they see your character do anything aggressive/hostile (kill someone, be hostile towards the NPC, carry a dead/subdued body, etc.). They will gain the red bolts when this happens.
      HTH
      Dempsey Bowling

Vehicles
      1995 Honda Passport
      10-15-2012 01:31 PM #58
      I cant wait to get this game i saw the commercial on TV like a week ago and I almost died of amazement.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-15-2012 11:38 PM #59
      I finished the flooded district level. Once again, those punk ass blinking assassins got snuck up on by the one true master assassin (me). That includes that murderous Daud.

Should've taken a screenshot. I had about 8 of them sleeping in a pile
      Last edited by Sledge; 10-15-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-16-2012 08:36 AM #60
      I finished the flooded district level. Once again, those punk ass blinking assassins got snuck up on by the one true master assassin (me). That includes that murderous Daud.

Should've taken a screenshot. I had about 8 of them sleeping in a pile
      did you spare Daud? I did but now I am wishing I hadn't becuase it seems to have upset the outsider guy. Also my tip for the blink assassins if you play the game my way is to use blink right back at them, use blink to move towards them while holding control and just as you appear before them swing and everything you will get a one slash kill or decapitiation.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-16-2012 09:24 AM #61
      did you spare Daud? I did but now I am wishing I hadn't becuase it seems to have upset the outsider guy. Also my tip for the blink assassins if you play the game my way is to use blink right back at them, use blink to move towards them while holding control and just as you appear before them swing and everything you will get a one slash kill or decapitiation.
      I did spare Daud. It's a message that says "anytime I want you gone, you're gone".

For the assassins, just find a little hideaway and listen and watch. The blinking has a pattern.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      10-16-2012 04:05 PM #62
      I'm tempted to pick this up, but heard somewhere that it is incredibly short. True?
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

28. 10-16-2012 04:47 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      I'm tempted to pick this up, but heard somewhere that it is incredibly short. True?
      It depends. Are you the type who would sprint through it, only completing the bare minimum requirements to clear each level? If so, it probably won't take you very long.

If you're like me, on the other hand, you'll take your time and soak up all the gorgeous scenery/environment and really enjoy every moment of it. You'll try to complete a given task in a certain way, then go back and try it again in a different way just because you can. The game designers point out that certain specific goals (enter building X, etc) could be accomplished in as many as 8 or 9 unique ways. The best part of the game is how you have so many choices at every turn.

So far I've got well over 20 hours into it and I haven't yet completed the third mission (at least I think it's the third one; it's called the Royal Physician). Once I complete the game, I intend to start over from the beginning and try to achieve a low chaos score.
      Dempsey Bowling

29. 10-16-2012 05:39 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      I went Googling to find out what mission I am currently on (turns out it is the fourth one) when I stumbled upon this insightful piece:

Dishonored: too short? You’re doing it wrong

Dishonored has achieved a remarkable critical consensus, but nobody seems able to agree on how long it is. Is nine missions too few to justify a triple-A price tag? Not at all, says Brenna Hillier.

Dishonored only has nine missions: this is a fact which may cause you concern. There are plenty of people who say this is enough, provided you take your time rather than rush, and you are right, based on historical incidents, to be mistrustful of them. Whenever a game with a distinctive aesthetic turns up people get starry-eyed and start throwing around terms like “embedded narrative” and “player-authored experiences,” and you’re well within your rights to do a little sick as a result; we can’t all get excited about the high-concept stuff.

If Dishonored were in this category I would even now be crafting a paragraph exhorting you to stop and reconstruct a story from the carefully scattered teacups in an abandoned room, and you’d be yawning and closing the tab. Happily, it’s not. You don’t need to spend an hour looking at broken crockery in order to pad out your gameplay time. Enjoying Dishonored isn’t about stopping to smell the roses and write sickening fanfics; it’s about playing the game.

Really playing it, I mean – playing with it. Dishonored is a playground and everyone is invited to do whatever they bloody well like, and this is so far removed from what we’ve been taught to expect of triple-A first person titles that a contingent of players simply aren’t going to understand that on their first try.

If you finish Dishonored in six hours, son, you played it wrong; and you played it as you’ve been taught to by the successive waves of tightly linear games which have dominated the triple-A scene for years. Following the mission markers and completing objectives is, of course, the “point” of the game but unlike Lure of Glory: Combat Zone XVII if you stop moving forward the game does not obligingly halt and wait for you. It doesn’t constrain you to an A-to-B path where looking behind you shows only empty rooms. There is no advantage to taking the quickest route beyond the fact that it is the quickest route, and by following it you will quite literally miss most of the game and do yourself a right disservice.

Let me level with you, friends. I don’t count hours when I play but I’m pretty sure my first run through of Dishonored was less than ten hours. That’s not a lot, although metrics suggest it may well be too much for many of you (think about your pile of unfinished games when we hit 2047 and all single-player campaigns can be completed on your tea break). I consider this first play through to have been wrong. I needed to learn the rules and see the story quickly so I could do a second play ahead of review deadline, and while I had a smashing time and would highly recommend that ten hour experience to anyone, I didn’t get anywhere near as much joy as when I began my third, unhurried, post-deadline pass.

This time, I peeked into corners; talked to NPCs; listened to the fever-dream whisperings of the Heart; tracked down side quests; experimented with different strategies and abilities; sought out all the runes and bone charms to expand my repertoire; purchased upgrades; communed with the Outsider.

And that’s not even half of what I could do, if I chose. I’m not reading the books or standing patiently around while NPCs blather; I’m not being pedantic about collecting every item or getting perfect stats; I’m not quicksaving and reloading for any reason other than fun. And yet: I’m not finished this new playthrough after 20 hours. I’m having the time of my life, despite having nominally (but not actually) seen it all twice already. I strongly resent not being back at it right now.

Dishonored is like your career, your love life and your education – you get out what you put in. If you want to speed run it in six hours you are welcome to do so. If you want to spend upwards of 40 on a save-and-reload completionist run you are at liberty to pursue this. Neither of these extremes appeal to me in the slightest but until the revolution comes I am not in charge of you: nobody can stop you from deliberately not enjoying yourself and then complaining about it on the Internet if that’s what fires your loins.

Don’t be that guy. Give Dishonored a bit of respect, do yourself a favour and remember how to have some fun.
      Dempsey Bowling

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-16-2012 05:54 PM #65
      I have over 20 hrs into it and I'm about to start the final level (I think). I tend to pick a path and explore that path as much as possible. I read all books too (they're only a page or so). Of course what makes Dishonored so cool is that there are multiple paths. When I play again using maximum destruction, I'll choose different paths than my current ultimate stealth run.

Also, it bugs me that there are enemies that are still awake before I complete the level. To paraphrase Pokemon "Have to choke'em all!"

EDIT: You can't see me!

EDIT 2: I just finished the game. I did NOT get the Clean Hands (zero kills) achievement. How?!
      Last edited by Sledge; 10-16-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      10-18-2012 08:36 AM #66
      EDIT 2: I just finished the game. I did NOT get the Clean Hands (zero kills) achievement. How?!
      did you knock someone off a railing? Did rats eat an unconscious body? One of the posts above explain the system.

Just got this last night and it's pretty darn cool. Still figuring out how to get around stealthy and not run-n-gun everything.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      10-18-2012 10:24 AM #67
      I went Googling to find out what mission I am currently on (turns out it is the fourth one) when I stumbled upon this insightful piece:
      Good review ... thanks.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

33. 10-18-2012 11:07 AM #68
      It turns out the explanation of the Chaos system that I quoted above is true.

Going into The Royal Physician, my Chaos score was high. To that point, I had (obviously) killed a number of people. I wasn't going through killing everything that moved; instead, I had just killed a few opponents here and there when it wasn't convenient to eliminate them in a non-lethal manner. Nevertheless, my Chaos was high.

As I began The Royal Physician, I decided to see if I could alter my Chaos rating. Last night I completed the mission. When my stats screen was displayed, I saw that I had zero kills throughout it... and my Chaos score was now low.

For those of you who want a change mid-game, there is hope.
      Dempsey Bowling

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      10-18-2012 11:32 AM #69
      I'll go for another no kill run some other time. For now I'm doing a stealth kill everything run. Got chaos?

After that I want to try a controller run using the rat power. Behold the mighty Rat King! :p
      Last edited by Sledge; 10-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Vehicles
      2014 F56 S, 2013 R55 JCW
      10-18-2012 08:24 PM #70
      just got around to finishing the game, great ending! can't wait to play again and go for the ghost finish.

also SPOILER BELOW!!!!

did you guys read Havloks log entries where he emplies that Corvo is Emily's father?

Edit, guess I killed Pendelton to quickly, if you kill him slowly he says "Everyone knows you were screwing the Empress"

END SPOILER
      Last edited by theBOYER; 10-18-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Steam VTMTK_Vendetta

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast