Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Many Faces of Volkswagen's Golf R

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      07-22-2011 12:35 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      NO SUNROOF???

please tell me what "loaded" is if it doesnt have a sunroof

and don't tell me "A/C" CD player, power windows and locks, all that ish is standard now
      I think everybody has their opinion on what is appealing in option packages. Living in Portland a sunroof gives me a view of gray skies 8 months a year. It otherwise decreases my structural integrity and gives me the opportunity to leak. On the other hand, I personally love keyless go. Once you've had it, it's hard not to.

Vehicles
      Eos (2007), Karmann Ghia (1969)
      07-22-2011 02:09 AM #37
      I hate to say it but the Golf R is already looking dowdy, frumpy and even old.

3. 07-22-2011 02:49 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by liquid stereo View Post
      I hate to say it but the Golf R is already looking dowdy, frumpy and even old.
      LOL

Must suck being so far behind the rest of the world in delivery of the R

I doubt anyone expects the R to be a DB9 in looks but that is what I like about it, a sleeper without the need to show off

Mind you, since you are an EOS owner/lover, your taste is perhaps a little twisted

My GTI makes way for my R in just a few weeks. I am more than happy to be driving a frumpmobile
      Last edited by Candyman1; 07-22-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Vehicles
      14 Nissan GTR, 12 Toyota Prius V, 99 Toyota Landcruiser: in the past 11 STI and 08 VW R32-both gone,
      07-22-2011 04:05 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by likes2driveslow View Post
      I'm glad to see that so many on this forum care about nothing but paper specs.

256 hp is plenty for me, the R is nicer in every other way than the Evo/WRX/STI/MS3 (if my GTI is any indication) and even a simple tune really helps this car out in case 256 isn't enough. An STI is more than the price of the R and the interior still looks like crap. I don't have much experience with EVOs At $33-34k, this car is competitive in specs and quality. If you really need something better and faster, throw a couple grand at it and it'll smoke that STI.
      The difference are just not paper specs, the all wheel drive systems in both the EVO and STI are far more adaptable and sophisticated than anything the R has, the brakes are also superior, the tires and wheels are both lighter and sticker, the engines produce both more hp and torque stock, yes the interior is nicer on the R but that is the compromise of a GT car, the STI and EVO are more of a performance car; pick which suits you better but at least be honest about what they are. Call the EVO and STI boy racers if you like but they are actually more "pure racer" than the R,which just might be a more all around car, a GT, VW could have brought over a high performance car here but they left RS3 over there. By the way they may still come with wings but gold wheels are after market now.
      Last edited by Landshark99; 07-22-2011 at 04:08 AM.

5. 07-22-2011 04:40 AM #40
      I guess you're right: it's all about what you're after. I'm not planning on racing the R so I think it'll serve me just fine with the pretty interior. My one gripe is the brakes. I hear lots of complaints from the R32 crowd.

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      07-22-2011 09:30 AM #41
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      07-22-2011 09:44 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      wackingawoundeddonkey.gif
      A million times, this.

Does every thread have to devolve into dash stroker vs. boy racer banter? Really?
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 13 Jetta, 67 Lincoln Continental
      07-22-2011 10:55 AM #43
      personally, im a little torn. i have a RS MKIV R32 and ill NEVER sell it...i already had a TR brand new and selling it was the biggest mistake ive made in the cars ive had (47 in total). the price is going to be hard to swallow because ill be keeping my MKIV, but having two kids, im going to love love love having a 4 door toy.

white 4 door please...thank you!

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      07-22-2011 11:27 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      A million times, this.

Does every thread have to devolve into dash stroker vs. boy racer banter? Really?
      i think its pretty obvious that it does
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      14 Nissan GTR, 12 Toyota Prius V, 99 Toyota Landcruiser: in the past 11 STI and 08 VW R32-both gone,
      07-22-2011 11:43 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      A million times, this.

My point, all these cars have positives and negatives, it just gets old with non-factual bashing of one over the other. Just because one loves VWs does not mean you need to slam others.

11. 07-22-2011 12:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Landshark99 View Post
      My point, all these cars have positives and negatives, it just gets old with non-factual bashing of one over the other. Just because one loves VWs does not mean you need to slam others.
      What else are we supposed to talk about in relation to this car, Dr. Phil? WE KNOW NOTHING ELSE ABOUT IT
      Last edited by likes2driveslow; 07-22-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf, 2012 Golf R & 93 Corrado SC Evo CASC OR GT3 Racer
      07-22-2011 12:28 PM #47
      Many faces, indeed. But these faces remain overshadowed by a core identity crisis.

In the face of the bastardized demographic in the US to which this car appeals the most, the new R will continue to suffer from the same old identity crisis as its predecessors because it simply can't compete with the Asian peers that are assumed to be it's competitors here, and here alone.

If anything, VWoA is actually guilty of buying in to this bastardiation of the original, home market demographic for the R32 and R ....unlike VWAG, they don't know how to pick their fights. But despite the juvenile bickering and criticims from the boy-racer crowd, VWoA's is obviously banking that their Euro/Dollar losses on R business will be offset somewhat by the brand magnet aspect of the car that results in increased showroom traffic. When the price is deemed a bit steep (which given the current Euro/Dollar exch. is not) increased Golf, GTI, Jetta, GLI & CC sales are easy to pull off. As before, the new R will be more of a success in this regard than anything else on the surface, and through showroom traffic alone will contribute to VWGoA (finally) posting a profit after almost 10 years.

I can hear the boffins at VWAG & VW Individual telling the VWoA planners back in 2009 "I told you so...." becasue the original home market demographic as envisioned by the parent for the R32 and R is very, very thinly and mostly quietly (read: do not frequent vwvortex) represented in the US, i.e.: mature (35 - 55) ex MK1 & MKII GTI owners that are now empty nesters seeking a practical, refined, fast autobahn tourer for summer trips to Italy or Sylt (...that, BTW would never consider a Subaru Sti or Mitsu Evo in the first place). This, and also the fact that all the competitve models targeted as R32 & R competitors in the home market (Alfa 147 GTA and Ford Focus RS) do not exist in the US. The application of the 2.0L turbomotor and excellent Haldex update in the new R have served to skewed the home market demographic somewhat younger, but this only worsens the identiy crisis in the US becasue the paper tigers now have more equivalency to poke fault at.

It does many things well as per the home market design intent and demographic. Sadly, there remains many that can't accept the value of these things in a purely singular, very personal way.
      "Professional Driver, Closed Course."
      SpeedWerks Racing 05/06 CASC OR GTA Champion
      2008 DCSCC Autox Series Top 3 PAX Points
      2009/10/12 DCSCC Autox THS Champion, Street Tire Champion & 2nd place PAX Points

13. 07-22-2011 04:38 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by likes2driveslow View Post
      I guess you're right: it's all about what you're after. I'm not planning on racing the R so I think it'll serve me just fine with the pretty interior. My one gripe is the brakes. I hear lots of complaints from the R32 crowd.
      YOu and Landshark are completely wrong. One thing the Mk4 R32 killed the same year evo and STI was Braking. Name brand brembos dont always equal better performance. You need to consider brake feel, high speed braking stability, and ABS programing.

The MK5 R32 shouldn't even be mentioned in the same post with the MK4.

I expect the MK6 R to have superior brakes. This is one thing VW does well.
      I've seen this happen, in other peoples lives, now its happened in mine...... <------ME New Phaeton Owner.

14. 07-22-2011 05:05 PM #49
      ^ people are saying the brakes in the R are the same as in the Mk5 R32. my comment pertained to brake feel... maybe we're not wrong.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post70553051

15. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      07-22-2011 05:11 PM #50
      Years ago I talked to a VWoA executive who told me they "Watered Down" the MKV to broaden the market share. This backfired on them. If you all remember back then the MKV was suppose to be the .:R36 (I know I still cry at night thinking about what could have been!!!). That would have kicked much ass!! Then they decided they HAD TO HAVE A DSG in it (More sobs over that decision). The DSG could not take the torque so they went with the 3.2 (Yes more sobs!!!).

The SIMPLE answer was to keep the row your own gears manual transmission in the car. Money would have been saved because this tranny is ubiquitous at VAG. It was used in everything from the Cayanne to the S4 and more. She told me they lost 50% of there crowd for the .:R. I WAS IN THE 50%!! I wanted a MKIV but at VW Pasadena for example they got 10 and 7 NEVER saw the showroom floor. My goal was the MKV .:R36. When I heard the decision I told them to find me a MKIV .:R stat (One of the best decisions I have make in my life!!!)!!! On December 1st 2006 I took delivery of the "Secret Weapon" and have not looked back.

When the MKV came out I was at VW Glendale to get a center cap when a salesmen saw me looking at the MKV on the floor. He thought he had an easy sale, and then he asked me what do I currently drive. I pointed to the Secret Weapon in front and his JAW DROPPED!! He said and I quote "TRADE YOU!!!!!" Hell no was the answer. He told me that when people call about an .:R they wanted the MKIV and not the MKV. Because of that I can see why they would be scared to do something big in the US.

Remember people this is an ENTHUSIAST car and we love them hard core!!!! If the .:R is to hard core for you, you have an option its called a GTI!!!! Its people like that who F-up the .:R brand!! We have to be more vocal to VWoA about what we want. Only the hard core want the car so give us what we want!!! Make sure they get the feed back and no one gets hurt!!!

UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!!

Vehicles
      2013 VW CW GOLF R
      07-22-2011 08:27 PM #51
      still do want..... but at $34,000..... it better come fully loaded
      It's going to a be a bit more than than for the fully loaded.
      .: SoCal R32 – '13 Candy White Golf R 4D

APR Stg 2+ | Autotech HPFP | Borla TBE | OEM LED Tails | 42DD Intake | HPA Core Interlock | 19" HRE FlowForms
      Previous: '00 GTI | '04 R32T | '04.5 GLI | '04 R32

17. 07-22-2011 10:21 PM #52
      The new Golf R looks like a winner, but as usual, we don't get the really good stuff. I'm referring to the Golf R Cabriolet, of course. I know why they won't bring it here, they think it will steal sales from the Eos and Beetle Cabrios, not to mention Audi. Well if they won't give us the R Cabriolet here, could they at least put AWD and the hot motor in the Eos? Why do those of us in the "wind-in-the -hair" club only get the "chick cars"?http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smil...s/confused.gif

18. 07-22-2011 11:13 PM #53
      Then if thats TRUE....guess your ordering a BASE model Golf if you dont care about power.

Vehicles
      '04 DBP .:R32, '12 CSG Golf R
      07-22-2011 11:15 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by gringoloco2000 View Post
      I might just have to sell a kidney for one of these suckers. I don't want to part with my MKIV .:R32 to have extra cash to throw at this. Can't I have both?
      Thats what I plan on doing.

MKVI JSW parts for sale: HERE
      Fully polished Fat Fives for sale: HERE

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      07-23-2011 12:11 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by ratkinso View Post
      The new Golf R looks like a winner, but as usual, we don't get the really good stuff. I'm referring to the Golf R Cabriolet, of course. I know why they won't bring it here, they think it will steal sales from the Eos and Beetle Cabrios, not to mention Audi. Well if they won't give us the R Cabriolet here, could they at least put AWD and the hot motor in the Eos? Why do those of us in the "wind-in-the -hair" club only get the "chick cars"?http://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smil...s/confused.gif
      Are men allowed in the "wind in the hair" club?

Vehicles
      07-23-2011 12:14 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by 29_MALE_SOCAL_SPICY View Post
      YOu and Landshark are completely wrong. One thing the Mk4 R32 killed the same year evo and STI was Braking. Name brand brembos dont always equal better performance. You need to consider brake feel, high speed braking stability, and ABS programing.

I expect the MK6 R to have superior brakes. This is one thing VW does well.
      I have never driven a 2004 STI so I will give that too you, that in 2004 the R32 had better brakes.
      This is 2011 I had a MKV R32 for three years the rumors are that the R will come with the same brakes as the MKV,
      I now own a 2011 STI the brakes are better on my STI than my MKV32, not by a huge amount but better, do not feel the need for a big brake kit with this car, will probably upgrade the pads when these wear out, but so far, I am sorry but they seem better to me. Maybe you will luck out and VWoA will use the euro spec brakes.

22. 07-23-2011 07:47 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Candyman1 View Post
      I doubt anyone expects the R to be a DB9 in looks but that is what I like about it, a sleeper without the need to show off
      ^^This is what I like about the R too.^^ I agree with TechEd's post. A lot of "us fail to remember that the EVO and STi are homologated rally replicas. Not until the Polo R did VW Group get envolved in the WRC. Also with the WRC rules allowing AWD to be installed to all of the homologated entries' cars there is no need for expensive and complicated AWD to be fitted as standard. Its very rare to see a affordable "hot hatch" with AWD like the Golf R. I'm eagerly awaiting the R. AWD performance without the fuss!

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 04 Litespeed Pisgah, 05 Volvo XC70
      07-25-2011 11:40 PM #58
      NO SUNROOF???

please tell me what "loaded" is if it doesnt have a sunroof

and don't tell me "A/C" CD player, power windows and locks, all that ish is standard now
      Also comes with your very own .:R Fleshlight (tm)

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 04 Litespeed Pisgah, 05 Volvo XC70
      07-25-2011 11:48 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPDX View Post
      Are men allowed in the "wind in the hair" club?
      Only while operating a Lotus Seven/Eleven, 550 Spyder, or early Maserati Spiders.

All others are chic cars

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32 #849
      07-26-2011 01:33 PM #60
      I just wanted to chime in here about the brakes on the MKV .:R32 - They are amazing and will stop on a dime and give you .09 cents in return..

If your passanger doesn't have his belt on and you have to do and emergency stop - they are going through the windshield... Just saying you will be more than happy with the brakes - now if you start producing high HP you will need to upgrade the brakes to stop the Car now that your speeds are in a whole nother category...

Hope someone finds this usefull..

Jason
      "CANDY" .:R32 # 849 / TID ULTIMATE PADDLES / EURO VCDS TUNE / RNS-510 / SKODA BT KIT / HPA "THE PUCK" / UM TUNE / EVOMS INTAKE WITH CAF / MILLTEK DWNP BACK NR EXHAUST / 19" KAHN RSS WHEELS / NITTO INVO'S 235/35/19 / S6 STATUS / FULL LEDS /

JASON - I AM IN A WHEELCHAIR and I drive like a Crazy German missing the Autobahn]

Vehicles
      2012 Loaded Candy White 4 Door Golf R
      07-31-2011 08:38 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
      I don't see the big deal; many of us are not interested in that boy racer look.
      I totally agree! This is a reasonably fast little car with a magnificent interior. And as for it's exterior appearance: it's a good looking car that a woman wouldn't be ashamed to be seen driving or to own. The 20 y/o boys can keep their STI's and beer bongs. I'm going to get a chip upgrade, new intake and exhaust and it will be my daily driver and autocross champ. Viva VW!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Scirocco 1982 (SOLD), 3000 GT VR4 (SOLD) Golf R
      07-31-2011 09:41 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by KatieLuvsFstRabbits View Post
      I totally agree! This is a reasonably fast little car with a magnificent interior. And as for it's exterior appearance: it's a good looking car that a woman wouldn't be ashamed to be seen driving or to own. The 20 y/o boys can keep their STI's and beer bongs. I'm going to get a chip upgrade, new intake and exhaust and it will be my daily driver and autocross champ. Viva VW!
      + 1
      That's exactly the mods I was thinking doing to my candy white R whenever it gets here. Will this bring it down to the 5.5 sec range 0-60?

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Sportwagen
      08-01-2011 08:25 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by AWDMKV View Post
      I just wanted to chime in here about the brakes on the MKV .:R32 - They are amazing and will stop on a dime and give you .09 cents in return..

If your passenger doesn't have his belt on and you have to do and emergency stop - they are going through the windshield... Just saying you will be more than happy with the brakes - now if you start producing high HP you will need to upgrade the brakes to stop the Car now that your speeds are in a whole nother category...

Hope someone finds this usefull..

Jason
      Yeah man. Cool story.

Quote Originally Posted by socaldave View Post
      ^^This is what I like about the R too.^^ I agree with TechEd's post. A lot of "us fail to remember that the EVO and STi are homologated rally replicas. Not until the Polo R did VW Group get envolved in the WRC. Also with the WRC rules allowing AWD to be installed to all of the homologated entries' cars there is no need for expensive and complicated AWD to be fitted as standard. Its very rare to see a affordable "hot hatch" with AWD like the Golf R. I'm eagerly awaiting the R. AWD performance without the fuss!
      So...basically the only thing that makes the R32 so great is that it was a hatch? Really? That's what separates it from it's boosted and AWD rivals? Get real. Having two doors and a lift gate doesn't excuse it's pathetic performance. The current STi and Evo are not rally reps. Stop with the ignorance. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by TechEd View Post
      I can hear the boffins at VWAG & VW Individual telling the VWoA planners back in 2009 "I told you so...." because the original home market demographic as envisioned by the parent for the R32 and R is very, very thinly and mostly quietly (read: do not frequent vwvortex) represented in the US, i.e.: mature (35 - 55) ex MK1 & MKII GTI owners that are now empty nesters seeking a practical, refined, fast autobahn tourer for summer trips to Italy or Sylt (...that, BTW would never consider a Subaru Sti or Mitsu Evo in the first place). This, and also the fact that all the competitve models targeted as R32 & R competitors in the home market (Alfa 147 GTA and Ford Focus RS) do not exist in the US. The application of the 2.0L turbomotor and excellent Haldex update in the new R have served to skewed the home market demographic somewhat younger, but this only worsens the identiy crisis in the US becasue the paper tigers now have more equivalency to poke fault at.
      I don't think you have the grasp you think you do. My father purchased a Mk1 Scirocco new, and has since owned a MK2 GTI, two MK4 GTis, as well as a few Audis (B6 A4, B7 S4, C5 A6 2.7t) and currently found his driving joy with a 2011 WRX hatch. He test drove a few VAG cars (including the MKV R32) and still chose the WRX. You guys are acting like it's people that haven't experienced VAG who chose the competition - it's not. Look at my sig. In my 6 years of driving I've had 4 VAG cars and 2 Subarus and loved all of them. I just dream that one day all the VW dorks can lose their bias and respect other ****.
      good decisions - '05 s4, '05 sti, '07 wrx, '07 & '08gsxr-600s, '03 20th gti #1, '12 jetta
      bad mistakes - '04 frontier s/c, '04 tt 3.2l, '03 tdi wagon, '03 20th gti #2

Vehicles
      2012 Loaded Candy White 4 Door Golf R
      08-01-2011 03:40 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by davesco View Post
      + 1
      That's exactly the mods I was thinking doing to my candy white R whenever it gets here. Will this bring it down to the 5.5 sec range 0-60?
      Well APR Tuning, ( you have to go to the Australian site because they have the kits for the Mk VI R's @ http://www.goapr.com.au/products/ecu..._265hp-vw.html ), says their stage one kit will boost you to 322 bhp and 321 Ft-lbs of torque, ( the equipment requirements are only their chip but they recommend a new intake and a bigger exhaust and exhaust manifold). In a car that has a curb weight of 3400 lbs and a Haldex 4 all wheel drive system should put you closer to 5.2-5.4 for 0-60 unless; A) the turbo lag is rediculous B) you don't know how to drive a stick or C) you are bigger than Kirstie Alley after a two week binge at Dollywood. Stage 2 and 3 kits all put you over 350 bhp, but honestly, I think that's too much for the little car and I can't afford new tires every week.

Vehicles
      R32||20th GTI||Cabrio||Allroad
      08-05-2011 11:35 AM #65
      i'll have to reserve final judgement until one arrives at my VW dealership, but i don't think anything is going to get me off of my mk4 R's styling and exhaust note. plus it's almost paid off

31. 09-03-2011 02:39 PM #66
      Bad design again, facelift as a new focus,tailgate like a MINI.Stupid.Stupid, at least copy audi a3.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      09-03-2011 03:21 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by ElevatedGaze View Post
      i'll have to reserve final judgement until one arrives at my VW dealership, but i don't think anything is going to get me off of my mk4 R's styling and exhaust note. plus it's almost paid off
      First of all the only thing IMO that should get you off your MKIV.:R is............................... DEATH!!!! Second you have not been paying attention. The Golf VI.:R will be at your local dealership................. I would say sometime AFTER the Golf VII is already on sale!! The world will never know why a car that already exists takes so long to come out.
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

33. Member
      Vehicles
      08 RS4, 96 C4S
      09-03-2011 03:26 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by VW-R View Post
      Bad design again, facelift as a new focus,tailgate like a MINI.Stupid.Stupid, at least copy audi a3.

Your user name and reply don't jive

Vehicles
      2011 R20
      02-23-2012 03:35 AM #69

Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R
      02-23-2012 04:31 AM #70
      太好看了!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12