Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Autocross and trackday pics-info and chat thread******

1. 07-27-2011 01:21 PM #51
      Most likely be running 8's but I am curious how much of the fender I will need to cut.

Vehicles
      77' Rabbit 16v, '98 A4 Avant
      07-27-2011 01:32 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by thepaintcanman View Post
      here's a vid from sat. We aren't full out and not trying to set records. Most of our laps of the day was 1:10 to 1:11. You can see my braking zones and hear the accel we aren't full out. The average for this course is 1:15 we have broken 1:09 in the past and there's lots left in the car. Still on an open diff for instance.
      We were only 2/10ths slower with an open diff than with a peloquin in the rabbit. It's not quite as much power as you have but it will easily spin the tires in 4th with racing tires. You should be able to be pretty quick without the diff looks like a damn fine time!

Quote Originally Posted by gtimini View Post
      Any of you guys running this size of tire and if so how does it fit for you? 225/45R15
      We test fit on a mk1 with these tires on a set of 15x8's. You will by no means be tucking tire with them, but a bit of trimming/rolling and some wider fender flares and you can easily make them fit. Pick you offset and wheels very carefully as that will help alot

Quote Originally Posted by Daskoupe View Post
      rally that appears to be a mk1 rear beam.....
      The pictures are yes, but the parts/concept is identical. If you can fab that setup at all you can make it work on anything

Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      07-27-2011 02:03 PM #53
      mk3 rear beam is 12mm wider?I can get one of those easy
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

4. 07-29-2011 03:00 AM #54
      Loving this thread lots of good info thought i would post up pics of my 88 gti, have i've yet to race it but it's been active in local road and ice racing for the past 10 yrs as a ITA car.

Stock 16v

It's good side

ENRGZR's 87 gti came over

Sheb

Vehicles
      e30, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      07-31-2011 03:40 PM #55
      can anyone give me some pictures or info on how they are mounting their race seats? Im kind of stumped on how to mount my cobra imola's

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      08-01-2011 02:27 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
      can anyone give me some pictures or info on how they are mounting their race seats? Im kind of stumped on how to mount my cobra imola's
      are you reusing the stock sliders?

http://www.cobraseats.com/pdfs/Vehic...ficAdaptor.pdf

I've got Corbeau TRS mounted on the stock rails. IMO, the seating position is a little too high. But, because I use this car for "normal" use, I need that adjustment.
      Last edited by choochoo; 08-01-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Vehicles
      08-01-2011 02:53 PM #57
      stock sliders wont work without a lot of welding, so im looking into recaro power bases. If its the same or even a little lower than stock that will be fine. Stock seats all the way down I hit the roof with a helmet on.

Vehicles
      08-01-2011 04:59 PM #58
      Keep in mind you can also buy the universal slider from sparco that will bolt right up and slide into the car without issue. Using the side mounts you have you can very easily adjust the height of the seat

Vehicles
      08-01-2011 08:16 PM #59
      Got me a set of solid Eibach bars on sat night from a good bud who just wanted them out of his garage...spent about a half hour popping the rear in, so much better!

Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      08-08-2011 01:03 PM #60
      got my rear beam acouple days ago.Should start on it this saturday
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-lugtronic
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      08-10-2011 01:23 PM #61

I hope this will help shore up any lateral movement in the front end.

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 08:13 PM #62
      Keeping this up!

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 09:19 PM #63
      I couldnt see myself autocrossing in my stock seats. I feel (depending on the course) I would just be hanging on for dear life. Also, coming from starting out on track days, and never autocrossing its going to be pretty hard to have as good of a time just thinking in your head you wish you were at a track day

I almost have everything for my whole race seat\harness shibang.

Race seats: check
      harness bar: check
      bases: check (Waiting for arrival)
      harnesses: check (Waiting for arrival)

14. 08-17-2011 09:22 PM #64
      Can we talk about weight distribution?, as it II think its 60/70ish to 30/40ish, getting it to that perfect 5050 or less, would mean a better handling car if it was re, how about fw?,

15. 08-17-2011 09:35 PM #65
      Geeze - I've been out of the loop for a while and all this stuff pops up. A thread about something other than stretch or "your opinion about my whip"? Whoda thunk it...

NCBrock - I'd strongly advise AGAINST installing seats in a track car until you install a cage. When you go turtle, you'll be firmly supported in your race seat with your harnesses and your head will be the tallest thing in the car when the roof crushes...

As for tyres - I run 205/50-15s - I used to run 225/50-14 and 205/55-14 (F/R) stagger but the cost was getting too high and 205/50-15s are the same size as the Wreck Pinatas use in SCCA.

There is no "perfect" setup - the best advice I ever rec'd was "Don't do anything to the car until you know what you need and why". Just b/c the other guy runs -4 degrees of camber doesn't mean it's correct - it may work for the other guy BUT if you don't avoid the brakes and instead turn-in and hope it doesn't roll, -4 degrees of camber may be excessive (more on that if anyone is interested).

Weight distribution on an FWD car will NEVER be 50/50 - IIRC, these cars are closer to 65/35 and that's just the way it is. Don't re-engineer too much or you'll find that you should have purchased a Miata (or similar) instead.

Suspension setups are very personal - the only firm rule is that lowering an A2 doesn't work well. The front control arms should never be lower than parallel to the pavement and lowering more than that with ball-joint extenders is more effort than it's worth. I'd venture to say that 98% of the racers (myself included) aren't driving fast enough to take advantage of a car that's 1" lower by using ball-joint extenders.

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 10:08 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
      NCBrock - I'd strongly advise AGAINST installing seats in a track car until you install a cage. When you go turtle, you'll be firmly supported in your race seat with your harnesses and your head will be the tallest thing in the car when the roof crushes...
      Theres plenty of people that do it, I know the risk, and will have to accept it until the cage comes. Doing this sort of stuff theres a guaranteed risk that anything will happen or not. Plus, the track I run at I top out at 95-100 on a straight. Corner speed, Im not sure, Im not looking at the spedo, but usually 3rd gear. by the time I go off, hit grass and roll I will be slowed down quite a bit, but Im not saying that its safe, i just know the risk.
      Plus how much safer are you in a stock seat with passive restraints anyways? Those things dont work for crap id be worried about being thrown out

17. 08-17-2011 11:07 PM #67
      It's good that you accept the risks - that's the biggest issue that I encounter. People think that b/c they have 1 or 2 pieces of a safety system that they're invincible. I had belts on my stock seat when I autocrossed an A2. When I built an A1, I used a rollbar but still had OE seats - flat vinyl, no less that defined "no support".

I agree, the OE passive restraints are crap - I've never liked that style, especially those horrible motorized belts that usually were out for blood more than out to save a life.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      08-18-2011 02:34 AM #68
      Weight distribution on an FWD car will NEVER be 50/50 - IIRC, these cars are closer to 65/35 and that's just the way it is. Don't re-engineer too much or you'll find that you should have purchased a Miata (or similar) instead.
      Weight distribution is probably worse on a gutted car right? I should have my car corner weighed.

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 11:24 AM #69
      It's good that you accept the risks - that's the biggest issue that I encounter. People think that b/c they have 1 or 2 pieces of a safety system that they're invincible. I had belts on my stock seat when I autocrossed an A2. When I built an A1, I used a rollbar but still had OE seats - flat vinyl, no less that defined "no support".

I agree, the OE passive restraints are crap - I've never liked that style, especially those horrible motorized belts that usually were out for blood more than out to save a life.
      I know race seats, harness's, and roll bars should all be installed at the same time, its just im a broke part time highschool kid, and the roll bar installed is the most expensive topping on the cake. but it is next on the list for sure

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      08-18-2011 11:59 AM #70
      I love road racing, wish I could find a road race course locally. I did auto-x 3 years in a row at waterfest, it was fun but it just got progressively worse (as I set up my car more and more). It is way more fun on the street leading me to believe that a road race course will be the best option.

Here I am, making the most of my tires...

IIRC I had a big neuspeed front and rear bar at the time, neuspeed springs, and Bilstien struts. i've since swapped to the smaller stock front bar, and it got WORSE at auto-x, but is way more fun on the road. Can't wait to see what it drives like with my coilovers, which are damping adjustable.

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 12:02 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by khemiicalz View Post
      Can we talk about weight distribution?, as it II think its 60/70ish to 30/40ish, getting it to that perfect 5050 or less, would mean a better handling car if it was re, how about fw?,
      Get a jetta. IIRC a coupe should have a decent(er) weight bias when compared with, say, a 4 door Golf. It's not much but it is an option.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      08-18-2011 12:36 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      I love road racing, wish I could find a road race course locally. I did auto-x 3 years in a row at waterfest, it was fun but it just got progressively worse (as I set up my car more and more). It is way more fun on the street leading me to believe that a road race course will be the best option.

Here I am, making the most of my tires...

IIRC I had a big neuspeed front and rear bar at the time, neuspeed springs, and Bilstien struts. i've since swapped to the smaller stock front bar, and it got WORSE at auto-x, but is way more fun on the road. Can't wait to see what it drives like with my coilovers, which are damping adjustable.
      Looks like you can benefit from some stiffer springs/dampers up front? and if allowed maybe a wider track up front? This last weekend (non-scca autox), a Honda civic EK next to me was running 195/50/15 R888 all around. then switched to 225/45/15 Nitto NT01 in the front. he was able to shave off almost 1 sec.

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 12:43 PM #73
      I have 195/50/15. As I said I switched to coilovers with adjustable damping, so I should be able to dial in height (spring rates) and damping as required. I am excited to see the results of swapping. That was actually my best setup for auto-x (not perfect, it still plowed, but that could just be my style ), I love the smaller front bar on the street but in auto-x it didn't help.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      08-18-2011 02:45 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      I have 195/50/15. As I said I switched to coilovers with adjustable damping, so I should be able to dial in height (spring rates) and damping as required. I am excited to see the results of swapping. That was actually my best setup for auto-x (not perfect, it still plowed, but that could just be my style ), I love the smaller front bar on the street but in auto-x it didn't help.
      It might be your tires. in my little experience, turn in feel/response on 195/50/15 is good, but it runs out of grip real quick. I'd recommend going up to 205/50/15 and nice summer tire like dunlop star specs or kumho xs. It'll make a world of difference.

Vehicles
      08-18-2011 02:58 PM #75
      Also forgot to mention, I'm on the lookout for new wheels, would like a 7", that should help too.

I have had a few tires in my day (Dunlop Sport A2, Bridgestone Potenza, Falken 912), and the Falkens are my favs. They're the only set I bought a second of. THe Potenzas came on an old car and whil they are supposedly top of the line, they'd only work when hot. The Dunlops were an average everyday tire, and ran out of grip real quick 9but they weren't sporty models either, despite the name). The Falkens have actually saved my ass a few times, and been the grippiest tire I've ever felt (especially in the rain, which is important for a DD). I've heard Toyo makes a good tire too but I was really impressed all around with the 912s, wear, feel, and all weather (even snow) were all impressive.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast