Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Air cooled chit-chat thread!!!

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '72 Super BCSE, '71 Super (Project, not Owned), 2 1979 Fiat X1/9
      07-23-2011 08:15 PM #36
      Yes I did. Apparently speculating as to what "CF" would stand for is grounds for insulting moderators.

But then again, I'll never know. I said that to both Silver and CF and went to check for responses, turns out "Game Over. Insert Coin to Continue"

So I did. ROUND 2 - FIGHT!

Picture of wire-frame Beetle makes post Air-Cooled related

Vehicles
      1971 Super Beetle, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2014 Golf TDI Manual
      07-23-2011 08:23 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by burnoutmedialab View Post
      so, now we have two moderators? and daft got banned for saying cow finger? hahahahaha
      I've been a mod in acvw for a couple of months, I've been busy but I've also been talking to a few peeps to keep it cool. No need for all the drama

Vehicles
      10 4 door Wrangler, 95 M3, 96 Avant, 01 Aprilia RSV, RIP Bugs and Corrados!!!
      07-23-2011 11:11 PM #38
      The chit chat thread is good because it keeps us from having too many threads.
      RIP 1.9L Lysholm Corrado (I8AVR6) and your Turbo charged sister (TRBRADO) 68 Baja and 64 slammed standard. Too many GTi's to count..

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      07-24-2011 12:34 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 71sbeetle View Post
      What I am saying is you guys are lucky to have a thread for chit chat in ACVW forum, which I think personally is great (I was trying to get one for MK6 forums but the Big Boss shot it down lol)
      I think the Aircooled community is more than just about cars. The problem is when people come on here just to start trouble and things go down quickly which I think is sad.
      I think every model should have it's own chit chat thread for random talk, and as long as it's kept clean it is great.

I agree with this whole post. From one mod to another.

And for the record can you stick around I like your mod style.

Other dudes not an a$$ or anything. Just a little triger shy IMO. He's new to the vortex and maybe needs a wing to fly under. Help the birdy out K.

J
      Quote Originally Posted by WideFive
      If you have to ask if it's a good trade... then it isn't a good trade.
      Quote Originally Posted by Schell R32
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.
      http://www.facebook.com/VWLoosenuts?sk=wall www.cultwagen.com.

Vehicles
      1999 gmc yukon
      07-24-2011 12:36 AM #40
      i got bored, so i came back. question: why is it forbidden to talk about non aircooled stuff in a forum.. it just seems like nonsence restricting us to strictly talk about aircooleds. think of it this way. say we were a club and met up daily to talk. we obviously are going to get off topic after a while unless subjects are brought up. it's like nazi buisness restricting friends from talking to eachother about stuff.

the first Amendment....
      champagne taste with a beer budget.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2011 12:41 AM #41
      WHOA WHOA WHOA DON'T SAY HE'S A NAZI

You'll get banned for that.

Also, thats what we had. This was more an air cooled garage than an air cooled shop. Because at shops, everyone has to work. Everyone has to be doing their own thing and only collaborate for technical reasons.

Garages are where friends get together to shoot ****.

And now we have a property owner sending a security guard to make sure we don't have any fun.

Inb4 second ban

Vehicles
      00&01 Focus ZX3,01 Focus Wagon,00 Durango R/T, 89 Cabriolet, 77 Beetle, 70 Bus camper, 89 Fox coupe
      07-24-2011 06:54 AM #42
      If you cant follow the rules, the ones you agreed to when you joined the forum, twice, then you can leave.

If you think a moderator is out of control, you can contact the admins and discuss it.

Also Loose, It's funny how when you post a Fiat thread in here, you get upset when it gets closed, but when you post the same thread on the Samba, you put it in the OFF TOPIC section?

8. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      07-24-2011 09:44 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by justing1234 View Post

the first Amendment....
      Doesn't exist in a privately owned forum, like this one. Our bar, our rules.

In all seriousness, though... I think a lot of the misunderstanding here has to do with how the forums are structured. On Vortex, we have a couple of different areas. One of those are the model specific forums, of which the Aircooled forum is one. The model specific forums are set aside for discussion only of that specific model (or in the case of Aircooled, models, since we have lumped all of the Aircooled cars together). We also have a Community section, with multiple forums for all sorts of other topics, and a general Off Topic forum as well. In addition to that, we also have the regional forums. We ask that people keep other, non model specific discussion in the other appropriate forums. We do this because our forum community is HUGE, and if we allowed OT discussion in the model specific forums it would drown out the discussion of the cars that is the purpose for them in the first place.

In most model specific forums, we don't even allow chitchat type threads, because they quickly become hundreds of pages long and are impossible to moderate. The aircooled forum is a little bit of an exception, as we realize that you guys are a little bit different type of community than the rest of the forums, and this forum also doesn't get the traffic levels of a place like the MKVI Golf / Jetta forum, for example, which is why they aren't allowed a chitchat thread and you guys are.

Despite the fact that we give you guys a little more leeway than some other places, though, it is important that everyone realize that the rules are still going to be enforced here, though.This includes things like off topic threads being locked, insulting other members or using profanity not being ok, etc. If there are any questions about this, please have a look at the rules.

We're not trying to be jerks. We're not trying to make sure that no one has any fun. We often use the bar analogy to describe this place, but a garage analogy is a good one too. Think of this as a big garage that we own. We invite anyone and everyone to come in, hang out, work on their car, whatever. We provide the space, the lifts, and pay the bills for electricity and heat, and all we ask is that everyone read the rules on their way in the door and pay attention to them. Occasionally we'll get someone who will come in and start being a jerk to some of the other people who are hanging out, ignore the rules, and generally just cause trouble. When that happens, yes, we will talk to that person about it. If they want to knock it off, it's all bygones and no one cares. If they keep on being a jerk, though, sooner or later we'll show them the door.

On the whole, though, we'd much rather just let everybody hang out and have a good time.

-Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      07-24-2011 12:00 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by cfvwtuner View Post
      If you cant follow the rules, the ones you agreed to when you joined the forum, twice, then you can leave.

If you think a moderator is out of control, you can contact the admins and discuss it.

Also Loose, It's funny how when you post a Fiat thread in here, you get upset when it gets closed, but when you post the same thread on the Samba, you put it in the OFF TOPIC section?

Hey SMART GUY if i placed a thread in the wrong damn spot, move it to the right one like they do "and do all the time" not lock it. You should have been able to at least do that and leave a shadow thread here directing us over to the right area. this is what i mean about you being new at this mod thing.

and if you want to start all this SH1T back up again and through comments like this one to poke at a member here, take it to PM, you should be smart enough not to throw jab out in the open like this considering all that's been said and done. knowing its going to start this all backup

GOT IT!!!

Now i let it all go I think you need to do the same and we can let it all go and get back on track
      Last edited by LooseNuts; 07-24-2011 at 01:24 PM.
      J
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2011 12:31 PM #45
      Well I for one see the garages as a place for socializing. We come to the Air Cooled section because we A] all have the common Air Cooled interest and B] don't want to post where the water-cooled Hipsters and JDM wannabe golf ricers can engage in discussion about what we as air cooled buddies want to talk about.

Why that dynamic has to change, I don't understand. Because it's against the rules, I get. But we were fine for as long as I've been coming to the site, and what, because Bryce and I got into a fight or Pad and Gambino? Oddly enough, Bryce and I worked it out without moderators. We're buddies now. He's buying me beer next weekend for christs' teeth, because our little community handled it by alienating us.

Silver - I contend that the new-to-us policy of moderation is much more overbearing than we're comfortable with and some of us, I know, find it unnecessary.

Unless, you know, there's some event that I'm missing that warranted this moderation. (Don't say because I posted that Fresh Prince "the ****" picture, I did that after the new mod started deleting and locking my own posts)

Vehicles
      07-24-2011 01:15 PM #46
      I keep thinking of the thread where Daft and myself joked around about being "elected" moderators (like either of us really want that thankless job!!) and cfvwtuner chimed in exclaiming that he would not post here anymore until the powers that be made him a mod like he was promised!! I still laugh when I read his "mod" posts. I hope it makes him feel important to finally be in charge, Ill just go right back to living my life, thanks.

-As Ive said over and over, stop taking the interwebs so seriously!!! Your hobby should be fun. Have things gotten a little out of hand around here, yeah. Have I been involved, for sure. In fact Im willing to bet that if gambino and I had the exact same conversation as we had in his thread face to face it wouldve ended alot quicker. Not with us fighting it out physically like children but with laughter because we both said some funny as s S hit to each other. It all worked out and we are almost friendly.
      RIP 1.9L Lysholm Corrado (I8AVR6) and your Turbo charged sister (TRBRADO) 68 Baja and 64 slammed standard. Too many GTi's to count..

Vehicles
      07-24-2011 01:37 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brewer View Post
      [...] B] don't want to post where the water-cooled Hipsters and JDM wannabe golf ricers can engage in discussion about what we as air cooled buddies want to talk about.[...]
      Check out The Car Lounge right here on Vortex, you will rarely see people talk about VWs, let alone riced out ones lol .... their favorites are 4.0 Jeep Cherokees and Miatas lol

Vehicles
      92' cabby, 73'slammed standard, 69' BayWindow, 66' rag beetle
      07-24-2011 01:45 PM #48
      I respect what most have to say here, but isn't this conversation beating a dead horse by now??? As long as the mods understand that we are completely capable of working things out on out own terms everything will be fine. I really cannot understand this problem as of late, it makes no sense whatsoever, and in fact is rather childish to think we are actually being governed by a "mod". This is america and we are able to talk about whatever we damn well please. If a thread gets outta control, contact the OP and see what their opinion is before they lock it up or delete it spontaneously and pissing everyone off all together . Is it really that hard? I understand some words were exchanged between members and mods, but it was all blown wayyyyy outta proportion IMO. Its the internet ppl, lets all get a grip and get back to the REAL task at hand, building and saving true german autos. If words are exchanged in the mean time, whoooooo caressssss, it will pass and they will eventually be worked out or just simply fade away.

And Pad, I totally agree, if we were all shootin the sh it at a gtg or in someones garage our past convos definitely wouldn't have escalated as it did on here. But hey, its the internet forum and I guess you'll have this crap pop up once and a while. However, it's really no big deal at all. Hopefully, one day, I really wish, that the bulk of the regular posters in this forum could actually get together somewhere, maybe at some large event and really find out what everyone is all about. Until then, cant we all just get along??

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2011 03:53 PM #49
      someones garage our past convos definitely wouldn't have escalated as it did on here.
      You should see my other car buddies. We really get into it. Cops get called, etc.

15. 07-24-2011 09:02 PM #50
      laaaaammmmeeeeee cant beliEve this. ban hammer. please. im done here.

16. 07-24-2011 09:06 PM #51
      and just for the record, WE started this thread, cfvwtuner just reopened it and took credit. it boggles the mind the the PNW chit chat is full of garbage and indecipherable inside jokes, not to mention waaaaaaay off topic, and that 100 pages long. our chit chat thread didnt have any **** talking in it. it was in other threads. **** THIS SITE IM GONE.
      Last edited by 71sbeetle; 07-24-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: language

Vehicles
      07-24-2011 09:08 PM #52
      and just for the record, WE started this thread, cfvwtuner just reopened it and took credit. it boggles the mind the the PNW chit chat is full of garbage and indecipherable inside jokes, not to mention waaaaaaay off topic, and that 100 pages long. our chit chat thread didnt have any **** talking in it. it was in other threads. **** THIS SITE IM GONE.
      lol, angry much ?

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-24-2011 09:15 PM #53
      Bryce

Vehicles
      1999 gmc yukon
      07-26-2011 12:10 AM #54
      this "new" chit chat thread is more off topic than the old one. can we have the other one back PUH-LEASE?

who cares if we get off topic? just let us do our thing, we're all adults here.... mostly... we can take care of ourselves if something comes up.

its not like we're offending anybody (as i can remember).... i admit, yes it does get a little out of controll, but not enough to get the post locked.

ironically... the aircooled vw is basically a symbol for peace nowadays... and this forum is far from peace right now.
      champagne taste with a beer budget.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      07-26-2011 07:27 AM #55
      ^^agreed.

this is why I have a shop and drink beers and "tailgate "race with the locals and the internet took a huge back seat...since the accident (this time last year) i found myself getting sucked back in...now it's all clear to me why i would stick a screwdriver in my eye after lurkin' in certain forums and such.

who gives a s--t about who says what,why and when...let's just get back on topic before this place turns into the place it used to be...'cuz all the real air cooled vw dudes leave and end up leaving us with:

...a bunch of "air cooled haters" making a mockery of our hobby coming in from other forums...(yeah, watercooled guys included!!) they come over make a stupid posts,say stupid s--t and never come back.
      Last edited by Schell R32; 07-26-2011 at 07:29 AM.
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

Vehicles
      92' cabby, 73'slammed standard, 69' BayWindow, 66' rag beetle
      07-26-2011 08:57 AM #56
      ^^Schell, congrats, 1000 posts! If knowledge and posts worked hand in hand you should add another zero to that.

I, for one, am not leaving. Ill wait this nonsense out until things get back to normal. Nor will I be swayed by the threat of a "mod" locking a thread for things unbeknown to them. I have confidence everyone will be back in due time (and stonger than ever lol ), just a shame it had to lead to this point. Such is life, things will pass.
      Last edited by 4supreme2gambino0; 07-26-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 02:42 PM #57
      I remember how quiet this forum was when I started posting over here about 18 months ago.. I hope it can be saved.. In other news I think I will finally order my door panels and popper kit for my shaved handles so I can actually roll up my window!

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      07-26-2011 02:45 PM #58
      ^^thanks gambinoO!!!

pad' do you have an shots of your car?...i can't remember what it looked like...i got a isual of Losse and Geeti's but that's about it...

i went to look through the show your ride type thread but can't seem to locate the guys who are on here lately.
      www.401restos.com

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 03:20 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Schell R32 View Post

i went to look through the show your ride type thread but can't seem to locate the guys who are on here lately.
      Is there such a thread ? If not, we should start one I think that would be awesome.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      07-26-2011 04:02 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by 71sbeetle View Post
      Is there such a thread ? If not, we should start one I think that would be awesome.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Post-Your-Cars!
      J

Vehicles
      14 C7 A6 ,1965 TYPE 1, 1956 TYPE 1, 1948 SPLIT
      07-26-2011 05:16 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Padfan1 View Post
      I remember how quiet this forum was when I started posting over here about 18 months ago.. I hope it can be saved.. In other news I think I will finally order my door panels and popper kit for my shaved handles so I can actually roll up my window!
      that new ride is already helpin a brotha out!!!
      Smile it will get Worse!!

Vehicles
      14 C7 A6 ,1965 TYPE 1, 1956 TYPE 1, 1948 SPLIT
      07-26-2011 05:18 PM #62
      What we have here, is a complete lack of respect for da law!!!!
      Smile it will get Worse!!

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 05:37 PM #63
      yup... I drove the bug on Sunday because I wanted to, it was nice..

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 06:17 PM #64
      ^^yep me too...just threw a s--t ton of race fuel in it and trolled it down to the gas astation and 4-5 miles out...60mph is 4200rpm...so she's singing something fierce...shifts like a truck.

this thing ain't fun anymore...i think it's time to unload it.
      www.401restos.com

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      07-26-2011 06:37 PM #65
      ^^yep me too...just threw a s--t ton of race fuel in it and trolled it down to the gas astation and 4-5 miles out...60mph is 4200rpm...so she's singing something fierce...shifts like a truck.

this thing ain't fun anymore...i think it's time to unload it.

you can drop that piece of crap off at my house. i will see if i can do something to save it.
      J

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 06:46 PM #66

um gonna need a lift back home...gimme a ride?

i'd love to have another patina'd up original again but with the new shop and all the money it takes to get it up to "code" and todays EPA/DEM standards will make you wanna throw up!!.... I'm gonna just have to wait for quite sometime...

f--kin bummer..but then again this thing is pretty cool when you whip into places and peoples jaws hit the floor!!...especially the sound.
      Last edited by Schell R32; 07-26-2011 at 06:53 PM.
      www.401restos.com

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 06:49 PM #67
      Trade for yours ?

WPB Bug Shoot 004

WPB Bug Shoot 013

WPB Bug Shoot 014

WPB Bug Shoot 029

WPB Bug Shoot 030

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 06:56 PM #68
      ...hmmmmmmmm

i had a bunch of guys when i had it on the samba for a while...but after rebuilding the motor,a lightly used drag box and a fresh respray..I decided to keep it for a while.

...then after I got it all back together and took it to the shows...I realized, I'm tired of it...not to mention my legs don't bend like they used to since the accident...i dunno.

got it on racejunk.com for 20k...or trade for a 10.5 nova...
      www.401restos.com

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      07-26-2011 07:32 PM #69

um gonna need a lift back home...gimme a ride?

i'd love to have another patina'd up original again but with the new shop and all the money it takes to get it up to "code" and todays EPA/DEM standards will make you wanna throw up!!.... I'm gonna just have to wait for quite sometime...

f--kin bummer..but then again this thing is pretty cool when you whip into places and peoples jaws hit the floor!!...especially the sound.
      sure i got family back that way i can visit after i drop you off. ...
      J

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 08:03 PM #70

new england/mass. yes?....cool i'll drop it off over there they can give me a ride back!!!
      www.401restos.com

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast