Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Please hel;p!!!!!! Car goes into gear but doesn't move!!!any ideas?????

1. 07-21-2011 11:23 PM #1
      I have a 96 jetta VR6. I can put it in any gear with or without using the clutch,but it doesn't move anywhere..The car starts fine no weird noises or anything. What can it be?

2. 07-21-2011 11:24 PM #2
      My guess would be shift linkage. Have you checked that?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 mk3 golf (sold), '96 mk3 wolfy (rip), '95 mk3 gti vr (sold), '97 mk3 jetta gt
      07-21-2011 11:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MK3-JAY View Post
      I have a 96 jetta VR6. I can put it in any gear with or without using the clutch,but it doesn't move anywhere..The car starts fine no weird noises or anything. What can it be?
      assuming that the trans is actually moving the syncros into the gears your selecting, it seems that your tob and fork should be alright, i wouldnt assume that they would be an issue.

I could only think of checking your linkage. Make sure everything is correct, because my guess would be that if the linkage acutally moved the syncros then the car would stall out since it wouldnt have enough gas for the crank to turn the driving gear on the trans once the clutch is engaged.

its easier to check that then to assume it would be a transmission issue and pull the trans

EDIT:
      Quote Originally Posted by miseryindeath View Post
      My guess would be shift linkage. Have you checked that?
      beat me to it
      Quote Originally Posted by rollinondubdubs
      ur gonna shave the bay??????

u will be shaving down to bare metal, and smoothing correct? youd need to paint it anyway???
      Quote Originally Posted by GrammatonCleric View Post
      LoL, I love Vortex. You guys hate EVERYTHING unless it's dragging frame on RS's.

4. 07-22-2011 07:23 AM #4
      Morning bump

Vehicles
      96 Golf 83 Scirocco
      07-22-2011 07:26 AM #5
      You can only put it in gear without the clutch with the car off right? If you can put it in gear with no clutch, with the car running, that would be pretty interesting.

Do you have a broken axle?

If it feels like it goes into gear, it's not a shift linkage problem.
      Last edited by root beer; 07-22-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta TDI w/445k, 2014 Jetta TDI w/Premium
      07-22-2011 07:47 AM #6
      ^^^ This. I had an axle break without warning or sound. I didn't discover it until I came out to start and try to drive away. No visible signs of breakage. I discovered it by putting the car in gear with the engine running and then looking down at the axle (hood up). One was spinning slowly (low first gear on a TDI). A safer method if you're on level ground is to put the car in gear and then roll it back and forth. You may see one axle shaft stand still or, in the case of having an LSD, one will rotate the wrong way.

Good Luck!

Scott

7. 07-22-2011 01:46 PM #7
      I can put it into gear with the car running Nd not need to use the clutch.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1985 ABA MK2 Golf
      07-22-2011 02:19 PM #8
      Sounds like you need a clutch if you can put into gear and not have to push in the clutch pedal..

Quote Originally Posted by MK3-JAY View Post
      I can put it into gear with the car running Nd not need to use the clutch.

Vehicles
      07-22-2011 02:36 PM #9
      Did you check the axles? I thought I needed a clutch, too. But couldn't believe it would just quit without slipping first. I think mine shifted without the clutch, too. I don't recall. But there's almost no resistance to the tranny when an axle is spinning freely under the car.

Vehicles
      07-26-2011 03:11 PM #10
      OP,

Did you manage to diagnose or repair this yet? Do you have an update?

Scott