Just got off the phone with Dave at ESETuning (where we bought the coilovers from) and I was told that there is NO warranty regarding bent hardware. So he was sent the photo and he is looking into weather or not just the body can be replaced or if the insert goes down enough to also be bent. If so, the entire coilover has to be replaced. Ugh.
unfortunately dude, when you bend something that normally wouldn't be bent it's probably gonna fall on you for the tab. that's like asking for a new tire under warranty when you ran over a nail and had it blow. not a manufactured defect, ergo not warranty material. I'm pooping btw.
girls dig when i play with the V
Small, concerning update.
Within the last week or so, I have noticed three issues with the transmission:
- loud click when the shift happens
- second gear slips under mild to heavy acceleration
- mild "whir" noise at idle
My first thoughts instantly went to the DSG service. I performed the service on 8 September (at about 57,000 miles) and directly afterwards, noticed a huge difference in shifting. Everything was much more smooth and quicker. I did the service 100% by the book, including torque specs (anyone that knows me can verify I do this almost all the time).
- Some time passed and I noticed a small rattle like noise when accelerating in a higher gear (low RPM). The noise was quick and not very loud but I thought it could be a number of things and not necessarily transmission related. Some more time passed and then I noticed that with the windows down and coming to a stop, you could hear the transmission shifting with loud clicks. Couldn't really hear it inside the car. Then it got louder to the point where now you can hear it inside the car.
- The slipping has happened a handful of times and is almost the same conditions when it happens. With the exception of once, I was in tiptronic mode and was doing a mild to heavy acceleration (not launch control). First gear is fine. Then it shifts to second, which immediately slips and then catches. Stays in second for a short amount of time after catching and then time for third. No issues with any other gears. Last night, this happened to me while in "D" and not accelerating hard at all.
- Lastly, I noticed the idle noise this week. After running for a while, something didn't sound right. I opened the hood and can hear a faint, but audible, whir like noise. Hard to explain. I couldn't really pin point the location of the noise, but I may try the old "ear on screwdriver" trick later. This morning, the idle seemed kind of louder than normal, but it was the first morning we have had 31 degrees this year.
After what happened to Shawn's engine/transmission, I am extremely nervous about this. I called and made an appointment with North Penn Imports for Monday morning to get it looked at. I will be very specific. I will try to capture videos when I get home from work tonight, both for them and here. The powertrain warranty is up in about 400 miles or the end of November (5 years/60,000 miles from November 2007) so I am hoping for good news. I will keep this updated on the issue.
If you happen to be a praying person, please pray for good things. If not, do whatever it is you do for good things.
Last edited by VR_Kraut; 10-13-2012 at 02:54 PM.
And I just listened to the video in Mike's R32 thread and the idle noise may be the beginning of the timing chain rail guide noise. Wouldn't that just make my freakin' day?
I am so anxious to leave work right now. I want time to look/listen to the car.