VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Bay shots with a little wire tuck...

97K views 529 replies 45 participants last post by  eddieflyinv 
#1 · (Edited)
So just tucked a few wires and removed some stuff...i like it simple and cleaner..not perfect, but fun

questions, comments? Send em

See less See more
#296 ·
now it comes the boring part:

wire tucking.
Tucking, such a pain... Such an extreme amount of labeling and time. Such a reward though.

I'm thinking it is time.
Fred, can you tell me what your codes you were throwing were when you did it?

#301 ·
Ordered my oil cooler, and my overflow tank tonight. I'm going to order another fmic I think, because I don't like the one I have sitting in the garage. So this is going to be a good week...

#305 ·
Throwing it to the ground is negligent... I have 2 small dogs and live where people could potentially have a small animal near my car. If the spill over was left on the ground and a dog ate it I would not be able to get over it. So its got to be done. Plus if it goes over flow, you don't want that fluid leaving because you have to re fill. And that is no fun. So I have a trick idea I'll show once the part arrives

#308 ·
Now that I think of it... What ever happened with that guy relocating his bubble into the front bumper area? I've been told the bubble was designed to be in the stock location exactly for gravity and pressure reasons(PSU told this, and was told from someone)

So I'm curious to see how that is working for that guy...

#311 ·
Its safe, just need to be sure to get the correct radiator cap, gravity burping the system is still possible. Coolant bubble is not as special as you may think. Its simply an expansion tank. Its big, because its top Fed. the cap is 21lbs. So when removing it, you only need to accommodate the pressure. With every pound of pressure the cap rises, the Boiling point goes up 2-3 degrees. So water boils at 212 the OEM system uses a20 pound cap. You've got a simple filler now though.

I first bought a 14-18lb cap, it runs perfectly, but the pressure blows out coolant as It expands. And you'd have re fill nearly every day. The higher pressure cap, prevents that and the car runs just as she should. Think about the bottle in a simple term, its only an expansion tank and high pressure cap.

#317 ·
New front mount intercooler isin the mail! Pretty excited to get it bolted up. Going to change the look of the car completely! Now comes the question...

Where should I mount my external oil cooler? Behind the fmic? In the fog grilles? In front of the fmic?

#335 ·
You can cut it off, but you need to do something to seal it... this comes out

Then you're left with 2 tiny holes with o rings. I took those out and actually used a razor blade and a lighter. It melts the plastic so its soft. Then you cut it flush. Then melt it a touch and use something to press the holes shut. I used a flat head
sealed up Nice and tight. The sensor will slide right out...

#328 ·
Oh and I figured out there is zero need for the small lines coming from the radiator, to the heater core, to the hard line behind the head. And into the return on the t stat. Its all gone now.

#331 ·
No. its only there FOR the bottle. It must be there, its essentially just a reservoir like most radiators, it follows the same concept. Heat, pressure goes in expansion takes place it fills...cold rad fluid contracts it creates vacuum and sucks it back in

#333 ·
There has to be a reason for coolant to be going to the firewall like that tho. That's what I'm asking... Can I safely remove that hose that goes from the hardline to the heater core.. I have stainless hardline for the air setup I'm doing, so I can make a new hardline without that port.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.