Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Case Against CrossFit

08-18-2011 10:06 AM #76
      Is he wearing jean shorts ..... WTF is wrong with that guy ...... oh wait the baby ...

2. Member
      08-18-2011 10:12 AM #77
      look at dude trying to scramble out of the baby pic in the background

3. 08-18-2011 11:02 AM #78
      The comments under the photo on the CF web page are hilarious.
      The best forum on the web: www.WLForums.com

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      08-18-2011 11:16 AM #79
      kuato doing the overhead squat, no biggie

08-18-2011 12:57 PM #80
      That baby picture caused a stir, but not as much as the load of people getting banned from the CF forums for questioning Open Source.

Great example of a CFer:

It's all about squats and deads.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 JSW TDI
      08-18-2011 01:19 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      That baby picture caused a stir, but not as much as the load of people getting banned from the CF forums for questioning Open Source.
      The main problem is that Crossfit doesn't have the foggiest idea of what open source means -- they operate a purely closed source model.

7. Member
      08-18-2011 01:24 PM #82
      java, holmes

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 JSW TDI
      08-18-2011 01:40 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      java, holmes
      you know oracle will sue your ass

9. 08-18-2011 02:33 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I thought I'd include this link because it's supposed to be a well-written refutation of CF by a highly trained athlete. Instead, I think it highlights one specific woman's struggle with body image and the short-term damage to one's body an athlete is willing to endure in pursuit of a long-term goal.

Vid is of the woman in question, Gillian Mounsey, who I would definitely hit, PIITB, etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxTw5hn3HI

http://startingstrength.com/articles...ve_gillian.pdf
      I think Crossfit produces some really hot looking women, but when you start looking like a very feminine dude I think you've crossed the line. This girl crossed it WODded past it a long time ago.

10. 08-19-2011 12:07 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      [/IMG]

Facebook stalk your CrossFit friends much? I'm guessing Mr. Wise (or whoever took those) didn't want to ask Mr. Samms for his permission so its good they spent the time pchoping the names and blurring photos anyway you took 5 posts from him and I'm not sure what point your trying to make.

The First = a joke, the census is bureaucratic nonsense anyway
      The Second = he doesn't like 5k rows...they're pretty freaking awful
      The Third = he did a workout in honor of a US solider who was killed in Afghanistan - what an ass
      The Fourth = Who hasn't joked about having trouble driving after a leg day?
      The Fifth = Sarcasm? Do you seriously believe the guy wants to give himself rhabdo? He likes to push himself during workouts

08-19-2011 12:47 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Sealab2k21 View Post
      Facebook stalk your CrossFit friends much?
      lolwut? I don't know who this guy is, these were posted on a forum. More:

12. 09-10-2011 06:34 PM #87
      Funny. My impression of Crossfit was that they just get normal people to put in the work similar to what world class athletes do routinely, and have done for years.

I see nothing in any of these videos that isn't what I haven't seen NBA level basketball players doing, even starting in High school. I guess I see the results, but I don't see how this is "revolutionary" in the least...maybe for someone with an office job, but anyone who's been around high level athletes knows they put in just as much, or more work in the gym.

09-10-2011 07:30 PM #88
      Sweet goodness that guy is a huge tool !

People like him are the reason people think crossfitters are twats !

14. 09-12-2011 05:03 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by CTAC2003 View Post

that can't be real. if it is that dude deserves to be hanged by the balls and beaten like a pinata at a "5 De Mayo" mexican party.

As bad as it sounds, it would have been 1000x better for him to just strap the kid to a nail on the wall.

who the hell brings an infant to a gym where there is no daycare facility?

15. 09-12-2011 08:30 PM #90
      that picture is, very real.

16. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      12-13-2011 03:38 PM #91
      http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/w...with-crossfit/

found this linked the other day, i dont think it brings anything to the table that leaky hadnt mentioned but just supplements his points.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

17. 12-14-2011 09:37 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/w...with-crossfit/

found this linked the other day, i dont think it brings anything to the table that leaky hadnt mentioned but just supplements his points.
      That's a good article, and Justin is a good dude.

18. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      12-14-2011 11:57 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      That's a good article, and Justin is a good dude.
      I think its one of the most unbiased and informative articles on crossfit out there. really hits the nail on the head.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      12-14-2011 01:15 PM #94
      This quote pretty much sums up what I think about CF:

"Seeing CF online or in their gym may spark their interest to the point of trying it. And CF is much better than their alternative. That’s part of the reason why I don’t actively hate on CF; cause it could be worse. They could be doing nothing."

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      12-16-2011 11:21 AM #95
      Off that thread posted ...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...ting_strength/

Question
      Have you always followed your own program or have you tried some programs written by other people (i.e. Wendler's 5/3/1 or similar)?

Rippetoe
      I tried CrossFit for 2 years. It exacerbated my injuries, produced some significant health problems, forced me to rationalize the illogic of the program in public, and set my strength back about 5 years. I'm just now recovering. So I'll be more careful in the future about trying things that actually make no ****ing sense.

I lol'ed

21. 12-29-2011 06:21 PM #96
      That is funny, but I'd have to call BS on someone who supposedly knows what they are doing yet it takes them 2 years to realized they are doing something wrong.

22. 12-29-2011 08:31 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      That is funny, but I'd have to call BS on someone who supposedly knows what they are doing yet it takes them 2 years to realized they are doing something wrong.
      People do a lot of stupid **** for money.

12-30-2011 12:40 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      People do a lot of stupid **** for money.
      Yep. I've lost a lot of respect for Rippetoe, Mark Bell, and Louie Simmones for promoting this crap for a royalty check.

24. Member
      12-30-2011 11:56 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      Exactly. Anyone that has worked out for even a few years starts to get very in tune with their body and it's response to workouts, foods, supplements, sleep, etc.. Once you get to an upper level, you notice very quickly and make appropriate changes. Anyone that does something for 2 years and doesn't realize it isn't working or is ideal, is freaking stupid. On top of that, to take 5 years to get back to where you were 2 years ago? Talk about a dramatic bitch.

01-01-2012 09:35 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Exactly. Anyone that has worked out for even a few years starts to get very in tune with their body and it's response to workouts, foods, supplements, sleep, etc.. Once you get to an upper level, you notice very quickly and make appropriate changes. Anyone that does something for 2 years and doesn't realize it isn't working or is ideal, is freaking stupid. On top of that, to take 5 years to get back to where you were 2 years ago? Talk about a dramatic bitch.
      Exactly !

And you call complain about my diet !!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast