Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Case Against CrossFit

1. Member
      01-17-2012 05:47 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      That's beautiful. I think that with virtually everything, there are douchebags like that and there are people who know what they're doing. I'm not defending Crossfit by any stretch, I'm just trying to disarm any CF zealot who may blow up at that post.
      I thought twice about bringing this back to life, but it was fresh on my mind. Sorry for any disruption I may have caused anyone.

01-19-2012 09:45 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      well they kicked your ass because you havent done any sort of conditioning like that. i caught 2 minutes of the crossfit games on espn and they had them front squat 225 for like 7 reps, like half the people there were having a really tough time with it.
      I saw that

I was like damn , if I could front squat in the same position as I clean I could clean up on that event

3. 01-19-2012 10:00 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      well they kicked your ass because you havent done any sort of conditioning like that.
      This. The fitness pendulum has now swung the other way. Before everyone just wanted a magic pill, and to be lazy as ****. Now we have these ultra-motivated, but misguided groups who think the harder something is, the better it must be for them. They want to blindly pound themselves into oblivion.

I struggle with this EVERY DAY at my facility. We have a "boot camp" program based on circuit training, and for the average person, sure it's great, but we have people that are only satisfied, if they feel like they just got hit by a truck afterwards.

Hard =/= good.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      01-19-2012 10:14 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      This. The fitness pendulum has now swung the other way. Before everyone just wanted a magic pill, and to be lazy as ****. Now we have these ultra-motivated, but misguided groups who think the harder something is, the better it must be for them. They want to blindly pound themselves into oblivion.

I struggle with this EVERY DAY at my facility. We have a "boot camp" program based on circuit training, and for the average person, sure it's great, but we have people that are only satisfied, if they feel like they just got hit by a truck afterwards.

Hard =/= good.
      Society is still much better off with this blind ambition towards doing whatever to get healthy. Some of it is stupid, and the ppl who know better are quietly laughing to themselves, but each one of those moronic sheep doing 1,000,000 reps with a bar will hopefully be one less person draining the health care system in a few years.

As much as the crossfit superiority complex annoys me to death, it's a perfect "gateway drug" for ppl to get into shape.

5. 01-19-2012 10:19 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by AggvGtivr6 View Post
      Society is still much better off with this blind ambition towards doing whatever to get healthy. Some of it is stupid, and the ppl who know better are quietly laughing to themselves, but each one of those moronic sheep doing 1,000,000 reps with a bar will hopefully be one less person draining the health care system in a few years.

As much as the crossfit superiority complex annoys me to death, it's a perfect "gateway drug" for ppl to get into shape.
      You're probably right, I guess maybe I'm just a bit of an idealist, thinking, why can't we just be smart about this?

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8T, 2003 Audi A4 3.0Q, 2009 VW CC Sport, 2011 JSW TDi
      01-19-2012 11:08 AM #111

So people getting injured from bad coaching and overuse aren't going to use the healthcare system to get better?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      01-19-2012 11:24 AM #112
      why can't we just be smart about this?
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ars-at-the-gym

Quote Originally Posted by Veedubin02 View Post
      So people getting injured from bad coaching and overuse aren't going to use the healthcare system to get better?
      vs. the number of fat obese lards who will develop diabetes, heart problems, and other various fat ppl problems? im not an expert or anything, but one is going to be a real life problem and the other will be internet hearsay

8. 01-19-2012 11:31 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Veedubin02 View Post
      The biggest differences is the injuries sustained training like a moron are usually going to be acute. Where as issues regarding obesity and diabetes are more long term (frequent doctor visits, monthly medications, eventually dialysis, etc...)

9. 01-19-2012 12:16 PM #114
      crossfit has made a couple chicks in our group go from "pretty hot" to god damn 10s in about six months. i approve.

01-19-2012 12:29 PM #115
      Less opinion, more supported facts in this thread, please.
      It's all about squats and deads.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      01-19-2012 12:39 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by tweezy! View Post
      crossfit has made a couple chicks in our group go from "pretty hot" to god damn 10s in about six months. i approve.
      Never said crossfit doesn't work wonders on ppl, but it's not the end all be all of fitness as some proclaim.

12. 01-19-2012 04:46 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by tweezy! View Post
      pics!

but i hear what you're saying though. i know a couple girls that do crossfit....no amount is going to make them hotter, haha. poor girls.

13. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-19-2012 04:57 PM #118

Hard =/= good.
      yea - thats my girlfreinds school of thought that took me about 2 years to break, because she got lean at a stupid bootcamp its what she thinks is good.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

14. 01-21-2012 08:18 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      Yep. I've lost a lot of respect for Rippetoe, Mark Bell, and Louie Simmones for promoting this crap for a royalty check.
      I'm sure that Rippetoe, Mark Bell, Louie Simmons and his whole Westside Barbell crew all value your opinion

01-22-2012 12:24 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Sealab2k21 View Post
      I'm sure that Rippetoe, Mark Bell, Louie Simmons and his whole Westside Barbell crew all value your opinion
      Never insinuated they did. Thanks for the wonderful addition to this thread.

16. 01-22-2012 10:10 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Sealab2k21 View Post
      Well considering that they all sell products to the public, they probably do.

17. Member
      01-22-2012 11:43 AM #122

Fully agree with you and spoolin on this. CF in itself is a great workout and a great way to get people into a different mode of thinking that normally would not be interested in getting into better shape. It's unfortunate that so many followers have built a stigma into the type of people that actually do it and give it a bad name. If there were smarter people involved that cared whether injury was going to occur or took the time to educate on how/why they are doing what they are doing, it might be looked at in a better light. For now, it seems to be run by a lot of irresponsible people that only care about making money because it is somewhat trendy in the media and the average joe's eyes.

18. 06-26-2013 12:03 AM #123
      Bump. Stop wasting time staring at Xander's eel, and finish this damn thread.

06-26-2013 01:05 AM #124
      Truthfully, I've gotten tired of repeating myself about this. My friends bait me on purpose when I'm drunk sometimes.

The stuff as of late (Jon North/CAthletics, Level1/2, Reebok, PEDs) cracks me up, though.

I'll start putting notes together again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234