Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: how to install euro lights in place of stock?

Vehicles
      1984 Scirocco bone stock
      07-27-2011 01:54 PM #1
      I checked the euro and US frames and they both look like they had the same mounting points. So I was trying to hook my new ones up but was interrupted when the frame wouldn't fit! It looked like I may have to trim some stuff but I'm not sure. Can anybody help with this?? Or do I have to go back to stock lights

2. 07-27-2011 03:07 PM #2
      You have to move the little black (or white) plastic screw retainers on the radiator support. Both sets of square holes are in the sheet metal stamping of the car. Look at your euro buckets and you will see the other hole pattern. You do not need to trim. To remove the plastic screw retainers pinch the part from the backside and pry it out the front with a small screwdriver. Then pop it in the other holes.

See the 2nd picture that shows the plastic screw retainers on the radiator support. You can see the I have them in the Euro setting.

Last edited by Doug T; 07-28-2011 at 02:57 AM.
      TEAM DHE/FAST 76 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO 2X 08, 09, 10, 12 & 13 regional champ.
      TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO 04 & 07 regional champ.
      1987 KARMANN 16V MK2 SILVER SCIROCCO
      Parts--> http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's

Vehicles
      2013 Porsche Carrera 4S, 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500, 1988 VW Scirocco
      07-28-2011 12:16 AM #3
      what's not exactly fitting?

take a picture.

Vehicles
      1984 Scirocco bone stock
      07-28-2011 09:11 PM #4
      Thanks for telling me about he screw retainers, never would've noticed. The thing was that the "lip" of the bumper has little ribs right where the frame of the euros needed to go. I simply shaved off only the section of the ribs that were in the way and the frames slipped in quite nicely. Now I just need to go searching at the junkyard for a couple more adjusters so I can get the two inner lights in. Right now I only have the turns and large lights installed I used the adjusters from the stock lights to replace my missing ones.

Sorry, don't have any pics of what was wrong

Vehicles
      2013 Porsche Carrera 4S, 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500, 1988 VW Scirocco
      07-29-2011 04:51 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 84'rocco8v View Post
      Thanks for telling me about he screw retainers, never would've noticed. The thing was that the "lip" of the bumper has little ribs right where the frame of the euros needed to go. I simply shaved off only the section of the ribs that were in the way and the frames slipped in quite nicely. Now I just need to go searching at the junkyard for a couple more adjusters so I can get the two inner lights in. Right now I only have the turns and large lights installed I used the adjusters from the stock lights to replace my missing ones.

Sorry, don't have any pics of what was wrong
      I think I know. Here's what I had to do.

6. 07-30-2011 11:45 PM #6
      I did not have to trim my bumper filler when I had the US bumpers. I think I just moved the bumper by adjusting the mounting bolts.
      TEAM DHE/FAST 76 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO 2X 08, 09, 10, 12 & 13 regional champ.
      TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO 04 & 07 regional champ.
      1987 KARMANN 16V MK2 SILVER SCIROCCO
      Parts--> http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's