Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 01M Tranny problem - No Reverse. 2001 Jetta TDI - TCC Slippage too.

1. 07-28-2011 01:43 AM #1
      I have been having a problem with my 2001 Jetta TDI (01M Transmission) going into reverse.

Symptoms: Would not shift into reverse unless you rev it up - then it would BANG into reverse and drive normally in reverse until you shifted out of reverse again. Also - I have noticed some torque converter clutch slippage. The car will not go into reverse anymore at all. All the forward gears shift fine, with the exception of some TCC slippage when putting my foot into it. There is a certain amount of silver material (no chunks) on the pan magnets.

I am comfortable turning wrenches, have a VW 01M overhaul manual and thought - what the heck - lets pull'er down. - I don't really want to overhaul the tranny per-se' I just want to fix the reverse problem - was hoping to see something obvious when I opened it up, but no luck! So, now I am hoping someone like CoolAirVW who is knowledgeable in these things can give me a hand! I will add pics, but pics were an afterthought, so the pictures are of the transmission out, and disassembled.

I did find one thing wrong, but doubt it is the reason that it will not shift into reverse. I found the dish washer with a broken finger, and another finger about ready to come off - broke off when I touched it. (last pic)

If the mechanics of the transmission for the most part look good - is it in the valve body? I hate to spend the money on a valve body just to "see."

Thanks for the help!
      Jon

2. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      07-28-2011 08:48 AM #2
      Did you scan w/ VAG-Com before you pulled it? Check the solenoid resistances and harness continuity.

3. 07-28-2011 02:34 PM #3
      I do not have a vag-com. I will check solenoids if you can tell me how to. Also - should I put the tranny back together seeing that the bearings, clutch plates etc.. look ok - and what is the purpose of the "dish washer" that has a couple broken teeth?

4. 07-28-2011 03:38 PM #4
      There is a wiring harness on ebay for $97 for an 01m transmission - it is new, but is not the year of my vehicle - looks the same though - will it work? Or should I spend the $197 and get one from VW?

5. 07-28-2011 07:38 PM #5
      I noticed as I was re-assembling some of the clutch pack parts and debating whether that big dish washer needed to be replaced, I noticed that the seal that the broken dish washer comes into contact with was damaged (probably due to the broken tooth.) Is this large piston seal (pictured) could this account for the loss of pressure, or account for it not going into reverse? It appears to press against the reverse friction disks, but this is pretty new to me. It is the seal/piston that is inside the one-way roller bearing assembly. Here are some pics.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      07-29-2011 04:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by jonjmac View Post

You nailed it! Nice job!

I was gonna tell you which drums are needed for reverse so you could pull them apart to check those lips but you beat me too it.

And I was gonna refer you to 01m failure analysis1 on my webpage where he had a similar prolbem, and needed the same thing (plus some other damage), but it wasn't due to the diaphram spring breaking it was just the rubber seperating from the piston. Link below. (my pic sucks though)

http://www.kansascitytdi.com/Fail%20analysis1.htm
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 07-29-2011 at 04:04 PM.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      07-29-2011 04:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
      Did you scan w/ VAG-Com before you pulled it? Check the solenoid resistances and harness continuity.
      Checking solenoid resistance when you dont have a solenoid code is a waste of time.

Also I've never seen a solenoid issue cause no reverse on a 01m.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      07-29-2011 05:07 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      Checking solenoid resistance when you dont have a solenoid code is a waste of time.
      I know, but the OP never mentioned any scan or codes. Or if he did I missed it.

Also I've never seen a solenoid issue cause no reverse on a 01m.
      I did not know that; good to know if I ever get an 01M ...

9. 07-31-2011 09:44 PM #9
      I have the new piston on order and also the dish washer that had the broken teeth. I will get them in probably on tuesday have a response on wed/thur. and let you all know how it ended up.

Thanks,
      Jon

10. 08-14-2011 12:50 PM #10
      Not to hijack this thread, but I've got a similar issue. Maybe you can help me with this one: 2002 2.0 aba cabrio with 01m. Trans shifts through forward gears perfectly. Refuses to go into reverse unless it is completely warmed up. Even then, sometimes it needs coaxing by going into drive for a bit, then back into reverse. When it does engage, reverse works flawlessly. There is no banging into gear at all. When reverse does not work, the idle speed actually raises above that of park by a slight amount. Any amount of revving will not get it to go in if it doesn't feel like going in. I measured the temp of the ATF and ran the motor in park when I checked the level, just as all data described. I did not get to checking the pan for any shavings or parts yet. Any ideas? Also, where can i go about getting an 01m rebuild manual? Is there some site where someone just has loads of vw repair manuals archived?

11. 08-19-2011 02:08 PM #11
      OK - I got the parts - put the tranny back together, and wahlah! It goes into reverse, shifts into drive, but now I have a different problem. It won't back up. It won't back up whether the car is on or off, whether in drive, neutral, or reverse. It feels mechanical, like something is binding up while trying to roll back. I expect I will be pulling the tranny again, but I am not sure where to look. Any ideas??

12. 09-26-2011 01:06 AM #12
      as with yours, my 2001 golf 01M auto trans often has difficulty going in reverse. When reverse does engage, it works without any issues. The problem is most noticeable when the car has not warmed up. I was assuming it was a reverse solenoid and was just preparing to purchase a solenoid kit when I came across this post. If anyone has had a similar problem that has since been fixed, I would be very appreciative to hear what your resolution was.

Vehicles
      09-28-2011 12:25 PM #13
      OK - I got the parts - put the tranny back together, and wahlah! It goes into reverse, shifts into drive, but now I have a different problem. It won't back up. It won't back up whether the car is on or off, whether in drive, neutral, or reverse. It feels mechanical, like something is binding up while trying to roll back. I expect I will be pulling the tranny again, but I am not sure where to look. Any ideas??
      You've misassembled something. When in doubt pull it out.

I love this thread!
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 09-09-2012 at 10:24 AM.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

14. 09-07-2012 08:21 PM #14
      I have a drivable car but it is getting sketchy.
      I am preparing to rebuild a spare transmission but I can not find a book that focuses on the guts. I have a VB book and that part of the rebuild is coming along. I hope to not break down the chunks in the transmission so I am looking for info on how to test pistons before opening, how much clearance should I have in clutch packs.... The fine points.

What book did you use and does it have those fine points?

15. 09-08-2012 12:39 PM #15
      I have the transmission service manual - I will see if I can find a way to post it.
      Keep in mind - take your time. Also - make sure the linkage is adjusted perfectly or you
      will end up scorching clutches after doing all that work. Also when it is adjusted correctly
      it may not shift right. Take to a mechanic that has the ability to program the tranny - it
      only cost me $79 and made all the difference.

Vehicles
      09-09-2012 10:22 AM #16
      I have the transmission service manual - I will see if I can find a way to post it.
      Keep in mind - take your time. Also - make sure the linkage is adjusted perfectly or you
      will end up scorching clutches after doing all that work. Also when it is adjusted correctly
      it may not shift right. Take to a mechanic that has the ability to program the tranny - it
      only cost me $79 and made all the difference.
      All good advice here, but there is no "program the tranny". I think what you mean here is "reset the adapts".
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

17. 09-10-2012 07:27 PM #17
      Thanks jonjmac,

I will watch for the sevice manual. I have seen the one ATSG sells but it does seems to only indicate electronics and valve body, I hope yours has othere details. I have seen a manual on Scibd.com but it is on the predesesor transmission which it seems may indicate has the same tolerances. I did get into the box this weekend and found it to be in excelent condition. Some of the friction plates still had writing on them. I did not dissasemble the central palanitary chunk but examined it for damaged teeth, heat discoloration, and found nothing. No scorch smell nothing. I think I got this early and am only looking at VB repair. I did find some VB springs out of spec and a sticky spool, the one that is on the N91 solinoid, figures. Really curios of a way to test pistions insitu. I saw some place a guy doing it with air blown into the passage ways witht e VB removed, but he did not indicate which passage ways. He would blow air in and turn shaft to see if engaged and then listen for air presure escape from passage when he removed the air.

Tha transmission fluid was red, I'll reedy that with VW fluid at refill. Would like to have the TC checked but can not find anyone to do, they only want to sell me a knew one, might bite bullet on that one

I hope to have the VB rebuilt but have not heard from Kansas City yet on my questions of dpth of rebuild and upgrades. I hear the upgrades give a firmer shift, OK with me if that will improve transmission life. .

Thanks

Vehicles
      09-25-2012 03:16 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jesse View Post
      I hope to have the VB rebuilt but have not heard from Kansas City yet on my questions of dpth of rebuild and upgrades. I hear the upgrades give a firmer shift, OK with me if that will improve transmission life. .
      I may have lost your email... If you have some questions you may want to resend the email.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      09-25-2012 03:23 PM #19
      You've misassembled the K2 clutch. Either something really wierd or maybe you didn't get the "spacer" that the k2 sits on installed correctly. By spacer I mean the part most visable in your 3rd picture in your 1st post above. Its the "barrel" shaped thing.

The "spacer" has a notch in it that needs to sit over the "lug" on the B1 piston housing. The "notch" can be seen at the edge of the pic at about the 2 o'clock position in the 8th pic above. The "lug" can be seen in the 1st picture in the post #5 above at the 8 o'clock position on the B1 piston housing. If the spacer gets mispositioned it will "stand up too tall" on top of the "lug" squeezing the k2 clutches applied when you bolt down the pump. You can usually tell this has happened by "damage" to the "spacer" right next to the notch, but of course you will have to pull it back out. Or if it was really mispositioned there will be damage to the space at some random point because it wasn't indexed on the lug. If this happens it could also break off the lug which which will usually cause no reverse.

You can avoid this problem with good clearance checks if you have the right tools to make the clearance checks, and the knowledge of how to make the clearance checks.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 09-25-2012 at 03:58 PM.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com