Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: The BBC and Sky Sports will both be covering Formula One in the UK from 2012 to 2018

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda CX-9 Zoom zoom
      07-29-2011 10:31 AM #1
      The BBC and Sky Sports will both be covering Formula One in the UK from 2012 to 2018, however, only the latter will show all the broadcasts.

Earlier this year it emerged that Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation was interested in purchasing Formula One from its current owners. However, CVC made it clear that the sport is not for a sale.

Sky, though, were intent on getting in on the F1 action and with rumours that the BBC were considering axing F1 from their programmes, it has paved the way for a new deal

The deal, which is aimed at increasing choice, innovation and breadth of coverage to UK fans, will see both the BBC and Sky cover the sport from 2012 to 2018.

The broadcasting partnership will include:

* All races, qualifying and practice sessions live on Sky Sports across TV, Online and Mobile and Tablet devices

* Half the races and qualifying sessions remain live on BBC TV, Online and Mobile including key races such at the British Grand Prix, Monaco Grand Prix and the final race of the season.

* Extensive BBC highlights on TV, Online and Mobile, of all races and qualifying sessions that BBC is not covering live.

* Build-up coverage of each Grand Prix on BBC News, Sky Sports News and Sky News.

* Extensive multi-platform coverage including red button, bbc.co.uk/sport and skysports.com.

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television. As well as unrivalled build up to each race on Sky Sports News, we will broadcast in-depth live coverage of every session.

"Sky customers with Sky Sports will also be able to enjoy F1 across multiple platforms and devices, including Sky Go."

Source: Planetf1.com

2. 07-29-2011 10:55 AM #2
      i also read that there would be no commercials. full time formula uno

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      07-29-2011 11:29 AM #3
      Interesting. It's about time that they show races online. I can't remember the last time that i watched a race on TV live!!
      If they decide to charge for watching it online, i'll just continue to download it for free a day, or so, later!!! Bet!!
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

4. 07-29-2011 01:15 PM #4
      There are no commercials on the BBC feed that I watch. This is bad for the average british fan as Sky tv is horrendously expensive... so much for keeping it free to air.

5. 07-29-2011 01:22 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      Interesting. It's about time that they show races online. I can't remember the last time that i watched a race on TV live!!If they decide to charge for watching it online, i'll just continue to download it for free a day, or so, later!!! Bet!!
      All F1 races, qualifying and practice are streamed live on the BBC F1 website already, and there are no commercials as its the BBC. Basically this is an entirely unpopular move driven by the BBCs decision to cut costs, so now if we want to see all the races in the UK we need satellite subscriptions. Of course, it can be argued we have just been lucky up until now as most other sports went that way looooong ago.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      07-29-2011 07:09 PM #6
      The BBC will show every grand prix in full, half of them live and half of them deferred, so free-to-air is available to everyone.
      For half of them you might have to wait a few hours. Big deal. I just stay off the internet and try to avoid my father (he's a spoiler)

Of course, here in the US, i don't have to worry about them showing the results on the news, or in the newspaper

7. Member
      07-29-2011 10:44 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      For half of them you might have to wait a few hours. Big deal. I just stay off the internet and try to avoid my father (he's a spoiler)

Of course, here in the US, i don't have to worry about them showing the results on the news, or in the newspaper
      Yeah, they are really just losing the ability to watch the races live...I haven't watch a live race in ages either. I wonder if the BBC replays will have the same commentary with DC and Brundle as well as Jake and Eddie? I hope so, I've gotten quite used to the BBC's team...although I'm missing Jonothan Leggard...DC isn't a good race commentator. Who knows, it sounds like Sky puts on a good show, will probably torrent that too.

Very true about not getting spoilers form news or newspaper...good for us!

8. 07-30-2011 05:34 AM #8
      The BBC will show every grand prix in full, half of them live and half of them deferred, so free-to-air is available to everyone.
      Where is this from? It's inaccurate - the BBC will only do the highlights for the races they haven't covered.....otherwise as said, that's a **** load of money for Sky to pay merely to show only half of the races a bit earlier. BBC:

The BBC will have highlights on TV, online and mobile for any race it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9550930.stm

9. 07-30-2011 09:32 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by darren p. View Post
      although I'm missing Jonothan Leggard...DC isn't a good race commentator.

There was a rumour there was one guy in the world who missed Leggard... well I guess it's true now..

DC is awesome, Leggard sucks ****.

10. Member
      07-30-2011 12:09 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dubsix View Post
      There was a rumour there was one guy in the world who missed Leggard... well I guess it's true now..

DC is awesome, Leggard sucks ****.
      Funny, didn't realize I was the only one! Leggard was so passionate calling the race...DC and Brundle together are very plain and unenthusiastic. They are a good team, don't get me wrong but I want the excitement back in the booth that neither of them bring. Brundle has screwed up the race order after the first few turns the last few races as well...mistaking Webber for Vettel, but I guess you can't really blame him, Mark has surprised everyone the last few races.

Did anyone happen to catch the beginning of FP2 from the British Grand Prix with Murray Walker calling the session for a few minutes before Crofty took over, that was great. They should swap Anthony Davidson and David Croft for Brundle and Coultard.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      08-01-2011 10:18 AM #11
      There are no commercials on the BBC feed that I watch. This is bad for the average british fan as Sky tv is horrendously expensive... so much for keeping it free to air.
      I LOLed when Bernie made the comment about "wanting" F1 to be free-to-air for all. Apparently, he missed the tidbit that F1 has been on paid subscription in the US for well over the past decade. Then I remembered that her could care less about F1 in the US.

08-10-2011 02:06 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by darren p. View Post
      Did anyone happen to catch the beginning of FP2 from the British Grand Prix with Murray Walker calling the session for a few minutes before Crofty took over, that was great. They should swap Anthony Davidson and David Croft for Brundle and Coultard.
      I didn't catch that but one of the earlier FP sessions this season was co-commentated by Karun Chandhok and he was amazingly good.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

13. Member
      08-10-2011 07:59 PM #13
      No question, he actually joins Crofty and Ant quite a bit. Dude is seriously an F1 encyclopedia, really is amazing how much knowledge he has of not only current F1 but classic F1 as well. Very passionate...there was a clip of him at Goodwood and he was like a kid in a candy shop. Seems like a genuinely good guy.

14. Member
      04-30-2012 11:55 PM #14
      Has anyone else been watching the Sky stuff? I must say, as annoyed as I was they were breaking up the BBC commentary team the Sky production is nothing short of awesome and its all the good guys from the BBC plus Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert. Its 5.1 Dolby Digital, HD (not sure native res) and 60 fps. It looks and sounds fantastic! Most of the rips are re-encoded at a lower frame rate and a lower res but it still looks really good. I wish I lived in the uk or somewhere the SkyF1HD channel was offered. Could you imagine an entire channel dedicated to F1, all the time?

15. 05-01-2012 12:12 AM #15
      I watch sky, lazenby is useless. Hope DC joins next year, Hill is way too serious to enjoy much.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 03:03 PM #16
      I, too, like the BBC guys better.

17. Member
      05-02-2012 12:25 AM #17
      I watch sky, lazenby is useless. Hope DC joins next year, Hill is way too serious to enjoy much.
      I assume Lazenby is the Simon guy? I actually think he is pretty good. Sky could have taken DC, they picked their broadcast team and chose not to bring him on for good reason. He is a dull commentator and I don't miss him or Eddie Jordon.

18. 05-02-2012 01:42 PM #18
      Yeah it's Simon, even my 8 yr old son complains about all the mistakes he makes, wrong names, wrong drivers at the wrong time. He knows nothing of F1, previous cricket presenter is his last job. DC isn't on the team because he had another year in his BBC contract. DC is awesome, great sense of humor, a man comfortable with what he has accomplished and generally happy in life and it shows. His input from a drivers point of view is very relevant, and he gets on with nearly everyone and is a nice counterpoint to Martin.

19. Member
      05-03-2012 09:44 PM #19
      agreed, he just seem very flat. Crofty is so animated, I'd hate to see him go for DC.