Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Jetta wolfy VR build

Vehicles
      1990 JETTA VR6, 2003 JETTA 1.8T, 2010 TOUAREG TDI
      03-25-2012 11:07 AM #141
      Got some parts from Frozen boost and now im trying to run the pipes from turbo to AWIC to SRI. waiting on radiator to show up and gotta swap out the crossmembers. I also got a bunch of t-bolt clamps from them, silicone bends and reducers, even a T-pipe for a BOV already welded up. they have a lot of cool stuff if anyone wants to run AWIC. more pics to follow, its been raining since friday night.

http://www.frozenboost.com./
      I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      03-25-2012 12:39 PM #142
      Same here. Rain = no driving for me
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife
      Kicks...Clothes...Cars...Ho's...THINGS I DO BEST!

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 08:34 PM #143
      ordered a fan controler and got this instead! wtf

having some clearance issues with piping now. havent removed the aux. water pump yet as I wont be using it.

my Synapse BOV. still debating if I should recirculate it or leave it vented.

removed aux. water pump and wiring bracket. much more room now. might have to see if I can relocated the big plug somewhere else.

I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      03-26-2012 01:03 AM #144
      Did you buy the fan controller like mine? here's my DD fan controller when it was in the Coupe..

You'll need a temp sensor & a temp sensor holder which can be got at 42draftdesigns.com You can use any coolant temp sensor. I opted for a VDO gauge sensor.
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife

Vehicles
      03-26-2012 07:15 AM #145
      yeah thats what I bought, sent a message to the company. where did you place the sensor?

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      03-27-2012 12:03 PM #146
      I bought a t-stat sensor plug & drilled, tapped, & epoxied the sensor. I will be swapping it out for something better. It wasn't getting a good signal as the sensor wasn't long enough. I'm gonna use the blank spot on the crakpipe. If you have a MasonTech CP, you know what i'm talking about I just have to find a sensor with the same thread pitch.

You'll love it. Make sure you run it on dual mode & buy 2 bosch relays while you're waiting. This way the controller can control the fan individually. Meaning if only one fan is required for cooling, it will turn on just one. It even has afterrun & you can adjust the time (mine is set at 45 sec) And will only come on if its over a certain temp (mine is set at 190*). real easy to set up.

Vehicles
      03-27-2012 09:04 PM #147
      I do have thaat extra spot and I already used it for my water temp gauge but I guess I can use it for that.
      I did get a second relay for that too, just need to get my real controler not this honda sensor crap.

8. 03-28-2012 02:52 PM #148
      1st post since like 2004!

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 04:57 PM #149
      Really, damn did you ban yourself? Haha ... are we doing the suspension this Saturday still?

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      03-28-2012 05:21 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by BiH View Post
      I do have thaat extra spot and I already used it for my water temp gauge but I guess I can use it for that.
      I did get a second relay for that too, just need to get my real controler not this honda sensor crap.
      If you already have a (aftermarket) temp sensor, you wire the fan controller signal into that. So instead of running the wire to the enginebay, you'll tee it right into the temp gauge signal wire.

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 09:25 PM #151
      thats what I was thinking, hope it doesnt mess with the temp reading.

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 09:47 PM #152
      still messing with the AWIC, got few more bends and they sent me a wrong 90 degree reducer but its almost there. just need a stainless pipe, have it bead rolled and thats all I need. got the heat exchanger and I can make two brackets to mount it to a radiator. pump for it will prolly go under the fender somewhere.

radiator coolant hoses need to be removed as I need MK3 ones. I was putting in that oil restrictor I got from atp, not sure why the thing was such a pain to thread in but I got it in there somehow, I think i might have messed up the threads so I will have to wait to see if it leaks. but I think my oil feed line is fudged too. nothing was going right for me last night, pinched my finger too. haha

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      03-30-2012 12:53 PM #153
      thats what I was thinking, hope it doesnt mess with the temp reading.
      What temp sensor are you using?

radiator coolant hoses need to be removed as I need MK3 ones. I was putting in that oil restrictor I got from atp, not sure why the thing was such a pain to thread in but I got it in there somehow, I think i might have messed up the threads so I will have to wait to see if it leaks. but I think my oil feed line is fudged too. nothing was going right for me last night, pinched my finger too. haha
      You'll have damn near 90 psi going through that line. I hope you teflon taped it. I had to use an adapter to for my restrictor. The feed hole was way bigger then the male end of the restrictor. Lucky i had the adapter & the 90* fitting.

You can barely see it but i had to screw in the adapter then the restrictor.

You're gonna love the Synapse BOV. I hate the way it looks though.

Vehicles
      03-30-2012 01:52 PM #154
      Stewart Warner gauges and sensor. I gotta take everything off at some point to have it ceramic coated. I used a restrictor from ATP and a 90 degree fitting.
      Last edited by BiH; 04-02-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: damn spell checker

Vehicles
      04-02-2012 08:27 AM #155
      swapped the subframe today, it pushes the radiator towards the front a lot. I dont think I have much space for heat exchanger and fans. it was getting late so I didnt had much time to fiddle with it. oil cooler heat exchanger will have to be relocated. radiator support needs trimming too. lots of work left to do but im not giving up.

I did had a dream the other night that I was driving the car and was just enjoying the turbo noise when I ran across a bunch of raised manhole covers, waking up screaming "oil paaaaan!" LOL

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      04-02-2012 07:34 PM #156
      You should. I fit my 3" thick IC between the bumper & rad. You could even use a smaller one that can be mounted to the rad itself.

Vehicles
      04-02-2012 08:14 PM #157
      ok made a small bracket to mount a AWIC heat exchanger to the radiator. its not flow waterjet cutting but it works for me.

mounted to the radiator, has just enough clearance between the two of them.

two slim fans, I mounted them a bit lower so they dont hit the SRI. hope that doesnt mess with cooling.

mounted to the radiator support.

I still need to fit a fan in front of the heat exhcanger and figure where to mount a oil cooler.

Vehicles
      04-02-2012 08:15 PM #158
      you can see my custom bracket for AWIC!

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      04-02-2012 08:58 PM #159
      2 "3 fans mounted towards the top will do fine

Vehicles
      04-02-2012 10:50 PM #160
      I will figure it out, if I can trim the bumper a bit thats what I will do. I know rad support is gonna need some work too.

Vehicles
      04-04-2012 10:16 PM #161
      some cutting, drilling, bending, welding and I have a little bracket for the AWIC. once I installed it I kinda looked at it and now im worried that maybe I shouldnt have it bolted this firmly to the body when engine will have some movement.

Pics where taken at night with iphone 4s and its own flash. blue hoses look so weird.

Vehicles
      93 golf: gone, 86 jetta: sold 90 b3 wagon 82 caddy
      04-05-2012 08:32 AM #162
      crapy pic but that engine bay looks good
      Eva: 90 b3 wagon

96 4dr aba golf

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      04-05-2012 10:44 AM #163
      looking good

Vehicles
      04-06-2012 08:52 PM #164
      tried every possible way but I cant use that heat exchanger. it just gets in the way. ordered a short 7" HE thats double the thickness and 7" fans. I meassured behind the bumper and should be able to fit it. too bad I cut up my rad support a lot. hah

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 GTI, '01 VRT Jetta, '86 VRT Coupe
      04-07-2012 09:37 AM #165
      Hey your set up is looking great! Got a question about your awic. Which one did you buy from frozen boost?

This one:

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...89807e17541b12

Or this one?

Thanks in advance!

Vehicles
      04-07-2012 11:37 AM #166
      the second one, comes with bigger awic core and bigger HE. I would meassure and re-meassure your spaces so you dont end up buying stuff that wont fit. I have two HE type 100 that atleast one of them I wont be able to fit so I ended up buying another one.

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-08-2012 07:58 AM #167
      the second one, comes with bigger awic core and bigger HE. I would meassure and re-meassure your spaces so you dont end up buying stuff that wont fit. I have two HE type 100 that atleast one of them I wont be able to fit so I ended up buying another one.
      Yeah, I have the same x-member set up as you, even have the same solid mount! Which smaller HE did you go with?

The 2" thick one:

Thanks again for your help!

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 09:36 AM #168
      that one is smaller but thicker so its about the same capacity. I would still meassure your clearances first, if youre using mk2 crossmember then you might be able to use the taller HE. as long as youre not planing on doing a short runner manifold you should be good. with your setup you have a lot of room in between the radiator and bumper. I ended up changing the crossmember to passat and mk3 radiator which pushed it away from engine to clear the SRI but not I lost that space for HE and have to go with shorter one so it fits under the bumper area. take your time figuring it out and plan ahead.

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-08-2012 01:53 PM #169
      I have 16v Passat motor cross member with passat lower rad support and the mk3 rad along with an SRI. There isn't much room there.

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 07:47 PM #170
      ohh ok, I thought you had a mk2 crossmember with corrado rad like I did at begining. if you want to wait till I try mine out you can but that is the only option at this point.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 10:08 PM #171
      something is going on with photobucket so pics might not show up. I havent had much time to do anything but I did get the new shorter heat exchanger. mounted it with fans, might have to redo the fan mounting but its ok for now.

practicing welding, im getting better even tho I have a $100 Hobart welder.

made a bracket to secure both of the radiators together.

bracket almost finished just some final touches and it will be done.

as it sits right now, had to change the elbows on boost piping so coolant bottle had to go as it gets in the way now.

new coolant bottle, 3" round and 7" tall.

thats all for now, more to follow.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 08:27 PM #172
      spent a whole day making one friggin bracket. lol

I might try to make a washer fluid reservoir and fit in this space here. I do want to have that, kidna sucks without.

while removing the harness broke the damn connector, lucky me I have a spare harness.

Vehicles
      2011 TRD Tacoma. Fake GLI. MK2 Unicorn
      05-02-2012 09:01 PM #173
      The 2 in the rubber boots are just plain old female spade connects like so -

and the other one is a special spade connect with a clip, IIRC, you can use a narrower female spade connect for it though like so

this will save you from having to solder or depin anything
      Crooked Euros

FS - 15" BBS Motorsports parts -
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=65761
      We Do It Big In PA

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 09:11 PM #174
      yeah the one that broke off is that weird square connector, the other ones are easier to repair. I will fix it not a problem just a retarted unwanted problem when I have a whole list of items to do! I just need to get this thing finished so I can focus on interior and getting it back on road. I havent touched the MK4 project in like 10 months.

Vehicles
      93 golf: gone, 86 jetta: sold 90 b3 wagon 82 caddy
      05-03-2012 08:42 AM #175
      still not done jk but it looks like you getting it all buttoned up
      Eva: 90 b3 wagon

96 4dr aba golf

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast