Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Under a grand ($1000) mk2 thread.

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      07-31-2011 01:31 PM #1
      Post up your mk2's that you paid under a grand for. I like to here the interesting story on how you came to buy it. The reason i ask is that i've noticed alot of people who bought their cars cheap always have a story on how they found it. I have alotta stories . It's also extra special (to me) when you buy something cheap and turn it into something. I know the PO was amazed on what i turned their old car into. Especially the non VW people.

Almost every mk2 i've own was bought for under a grand, thats if i didn't get it for free. Every single mk2 i've bought was 100% stock. And i remember every single purchase, mainly from the people i didn't know.

I'll start with my most recent mk2.

It was a trade on a trade with a GTI i paid $200 for. I'll explain...

I paid $200 for this 87 GTI 16v...

Which i trade it for this 92 Jetta GL

When my guy got the blue Jetta i have now, i wanted it so he offered to take back the black Jetta + i help him rebuild his VR for his MK2 GLI VR6. I threw in the interior from the Coupe because he wanted it. I didn't have to but he's my boy & he always looks out for me. I got VR that was in the Coupe from him. The VRT engine i have now came out a car i got from him. My brother's entire VR swap came from him. I can go on.

Anyway, post up.
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife
      Kicks...Clothes...Cars...Ho's...THINGS I DO BEST!

Vehicles
      1990 gli Vr6, 91 disel jetta, 1991 gti, 1990 vrt, 2005 600Gsxr, tons of a4's and a chevy truck
      07-31-2011 01:34 PM #2
      750 for this from cars.com hahaha
      it was pink, oxidized, sunfaded
      check out my for sale threads!
      Eastwood Fender Roller For Rent in NEPA, give me a call or text (570)332-4564
      90 gli vrt 2.9 JE pistons, Eurospec Rods, SP SRI, atp dp, atp mani, 6765 t4, BVH, peloquin, lm2, lugtronic vems, 840's, and a whole lot of balls

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      07-31-2011 01:43 PM #3
      Good thread Dreadz I paid I think 1200$ so I'm not allowed

Cars between friends always pays off to be cheaper in the long run as long as you know what you are doing!

Post some engine shots of yours

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      07-31-2011 02:05 PM #4
      A good friend of mine bought a 92 Golf and he bought it it my shop wanting everything done. New brakes all around, new bearings, bushings all around, New Alternator, tune up, oil change, list goes on. His bill was shy over $3k. 2 months later he offered to sell me the car for $900, i got him down to $500. It was total stock. I daily'd it hard for 2 yrs without a single problem. It was stock except for taillights & headlights, suspension & wheels.

I got this one from a family friend. My brother gave it to him after he had the (Auto) tranny rebuilt. I got it for $150

Paid $250 for this. Was my winter beater while i was building my GTI

Got this for free (technically a Mk2) Only auto G60 Rado i've ever seen.

My mom's gave my wife this. She paid $800 for it. MINT. Only had 60k. It got totalled

I can go on...
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife

Fishkill/Mahopac/Middletown/Stony Brook, NY
      Vehicles
      1986 GLI
      07-31-2011 02:19 PM #5
      I picked my '86 GLi up from a guy at a shop who was going to send it to the scrapper the next day...At first I left a note on the window because it hasn't moved in 5 months from its spot but then it rained that same night ...I finally went over there and talked to a guy and he said it wasn't for sale...So I left and came back an hour later asking to speak with the owner ...Offered him $250 and he took it...The torque converter was broken when I got it so it took 30 minutes to get home which was about a mile and a half ...Parked it and converted it to manual and I love this car!

Only had 55,xxx miles on her

'86 GLI

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
      Latex gloves are gay, your grille is gay, BBS' are gay, VR lips are gay, you have holes in the knees of your jeans.

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      07-31-2011 02:30 PM #6
      paid $900 for my baby...

stock 8v '92 gti with missing front seats, blown head gasket, missing harnesses, etc. but the body was next to mint, which is why i paid the price i paid.

put a new head gasket in, did this and that, got the car running. had it like that for about....8 months? then 2 of the main bearings spun and shredded, no more running car. she sat for about 3 months, then once most of the snow was melted, i started tearing her apart in preparation to replace EVERYTHING i could.

and how she looks right now. ABA swap, new wheels, etc etc etc. you can click on my build thread in my sig to see more.

Last edited by Greg_J; 07-31-2011 at 02:33 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

Vehicles
      2011 TRD Tacoma. Fake GLI. MK2 Unicorn
      07-31-2011 02:48 PM #7
      um. picked up 3 cars for under a grand but only one was a MKII.

- B3 GLX. was my rusty POS buddy's winter, he drove it all winter. when spring time came around, the car was a rust bucket and he didnt wanna deal with the car anymore, so he gave it to me to dispose of after he pulled off a few parts for his corrado. used it for my VR swap donor. scrapped the rest of it.

- 85 diesel jetta. my neigbor bought it offa craigslist for the motor to install in a rockcrawler hes building. car was rear ended, so the shell was junk. he didnt wanna deal with scrapping it, so we towed it over here, i pulled what was good and scrapped it.

- 82 rabbit. stared as a project car my buddy had. i traded a non running '87 dakota for it. got it home, and finished tearing it apart, found out it wasnt worth saving. saved what was good, and scrapped the rest
      Last edited by steveo27; 08-01-2011 at 11:11 AM.
      Crooked Euros - Powered by Pabst and whiskey

FS - 15" BBS Motorsports parts -Message me or search my FS threads

We Do It Big In PA

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1986 golf gti
      08-01-2011 01:58 AM #8
      alrighty, ill play.
      bought her for 950$ my first car... shes currently undergoing restoration. putting in an ABA motor. cant wait to drive her for the first time
      balls.

any other MkII owners live around gwinnett county?

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Golf Mk.II VR6 1987 / Polo 2F G40 1992
      08-01-2011 02:23 AM #9
      My first Mk.II I got for 300,- It was a 1.3 4-speed but fun none the less, I 'learned' to do handbrake turns with this Got totalled

And my 3rd Mk.II which I picked up for 780,- (Corrado G60's are Mk.II aswell technically viewed) Drove it during the entire winter in this mode, 1.6 CL, after the winter It was sold for 250,- due to a blown head gasket. Two months later I found it at a scrapper/dealer when I was looking for parts.

10. 08-01-2011 09:58 AM #10
      $700 or $900 I forget for a 92 16v GTI with 77k miles and mint Recaros and ran like a top.

Chris Lane - fifteen52 - Join us on Facebook
      chris@fifteen52.us 813.505.7910 - direct : 213.373.1552
      RML | 52 Wheels | KW | ST | B&G | Newing-Alpil | C2 | Air-Lift

Vehicles
      12 Passat TDI 6MT, 92 Gti VR6, 05 STi, 00 Impreza 2.5RS
      08-01-2011 10:10 AM #11
      I got my MKII for $600 bucks. It had been sitting on the side of the road in riverside, MD for about two years with out moving. It had been egged, kicked, etc while sitting there I drove down there after buying it and started working on it. The one e - brake cable was rusted, causing the ebrake to stick on therefore it couldn't move. It also didn't want to stay running. Put some fresh gas in and plugged up a couple vacuum leaks, and it worked great!

After getting the car running, I just drove it with that wheel stuck and after about 10 ft it came loose. I was following a friend who was driving my sti, when we came up to a stop sign one of the hard brake lines blew out. So my first drive in the car almost ended with me rear ending my own car... Ah well!

edit - it was complete, just forgot to take a picture before starting the tear down.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit, 2010 Tiguan S
      08-01-2011 10:12 AM #12
      $500 and it didn't run. Came with the parts to make it run (timing belt/tensioner and Bentley). Also came with a spare set of wheels, pacesetter header, and other misc stuff. Exterior is in pretty good shape aside from some minor surface rust. Interior is an 8 out of 10.

Then:

Now:

That is the only recent interior shot. Took a crappy cell phone shot in the middle of swapping to 3-point belts and replacing the seat bushings...but at least you can see I ditched the goofy shift knob and boot.
      Last edited by A1an; 08-01-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Vehicles
      92 GTI
      08-01-2011 11:02 AM #13
      $800

When I bought it:

Now:

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      08-01-2011 11:05 AM #14
      Keep them coming guys. I got plenty more. I've owned 41 (& counting) mk2's. I got post for weeks.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1985 ABA MK2 Golf
      08-01-2011 01:14 PM #15
      I paid $350 for my 85' Golf with 80k on the clock, no real story behind this one.. Saw it on CL and drove to go pick it up.. Car didnt run, the main fuel pump was bad but other than that it was minty I'm the 3rd owner, 2nd owner only had the car for about a year.. I have all the service records and everything..

Its got an ABA now and a whole bunch of other parts..

Vehicles
      mk2 coupe,12 Turbo beetle
      08-01-2011 03:22 PM #16
      400 bucks

7 years ago 100% 180k....
      12.2@116mph-293whp305wtq 22psi stock aba-AC-DD My Jetta
      Current Want list-sunroof delete,paint
      Fifteen52 - Urotuning https://www.facebook.com/PanzerPerformance

Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      08-01-2011 03:39 PM #17
      Where in the world are you finding sub-$500 MK2s?
      I bought mine for $800 from someone on here: 1989 2-door golf, 1.8, 5-speed, 220k, ticking valve,
      surface rust here and there, leaking doors, 3k idle, etc.

True, it came with a spare motor:

But still, I am surprised where are you finding them so cheap...

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      08-01-2011 04:22 PM #18
      Luck. My friend works at an import only junkyard and he snatches up every VW that comes through the gates. They're for parting out or selling as a whole. He has so many that he rented yard space to store them So everytime i'm thinking about a new project, i'll go and check out what he has. I never go on CL or classifieds. He pretty much has everything i need. Swaps and everything. 2.0T FSI, 1.8T, VR6, TDI, 16v, you name it. I never paid more then $500-600. He could've gotten an easy $2k for my Jetta as it's nearly rust free and in near mint condition. And he won't take a VW with anything over 100k miles. When i bought a B4 Passat from him, it had 69k on the odo. It's the same engine i'm building and only had 76k when i pulled it.

That being said, he has a MINT 91 cabby, red w/ white leather, new ragtop. I'm gonna talk him out of it.

Vehicles
      1 'rado, 4 mk3's, 13 mk2's, 3 audis, 2 e30's, e36M3, all sold. current:3 bikes and a mk3 trunk
      08-01-2011 04:44 PM #19
      i picked my 12th mk2 up about a month ago.. it's hella straight. paid 900 for it.. sold the 8v to my shop for 500, and sold the tranny for 175. total, i got 225 into it so far..

it'll be vr'ed within the next couple weeks for under an aditional 600 it looks like..

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1985 ABA MK2 Golf
      08-01-2011 04:45 PM #20
      Who in their right mind would pay $500 for a used 8v

Quote Originally Posted by vwkid23 View Post
      i picked my 12th mk2 up about a month ago.. it's hella straight. paid 900 for it.. sold the 8v to my shop for 500, and sold the tranny for 175. total, i got 225 into it so far..

it'll be vr'ed within the next couple weeks for under an aditional 600 it looks like..

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      08-02-2011 12:51 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Satur9 View Post
      Who in their right mind would pay $500 for a used 8v
      You'd be surprised. I sold an ABA with 33k for $1200 on Ebay.

22. 08-02-2011 01:11 AM #22
      This shell was a freebie in 1999:

so technically under $1
      Bumblebee Tuna

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      08-02-2011 02:15 AM #23
      You back on the eastcoast Andrew? I gotta pick your brain about a few things sometime this week.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1992 Jetta Gl, 1990 Jetta coupe vr6
      08-03-2011 01:10 AM #24
      I was driving through Niagara falls one day and I spotted a nice mk2 under some snow. At the time I want really on the hunt for a car so I just saved it in my memory bank. I started getting the car itch again I was looking at mk4s nothing special then I remembered the mk2 so I left the dealership and headed over to the house where this car was. I knocked and a man answered I asked him if the jetta was his he said yes. Then I asked him if he wanted to sell it he said yes and he would meet me out by the car. So I walked over to it and started looking it over It was perfect for me. He came out we talked for about an hour. The came time to talk money I never want to throw out the first number I was thinking $250 but I didn't want to piss the guy off he really loved the car alot. So I asked him what he thought it was worth. He said $100 I said ill be here tomorrow to pick it up. I picked it up the next day stopped at a gas station put gas I it and brought it to my buddies shop 10 minutes later it was running like a champ I put well over 10k on it before the clutch went two days ago. Getting the new clutch tomorrow. Since I bought this car I have bought two mk3s ones mint perfect for a winter car so the mk2 doesn't see salt and another one for the 2.0 swap both mk3s I got running and driving for $300 each.

Last edited by Eric.T; 08-04-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      08-03-2011 01:22 AM #25
      My best friend told me his ex girlfriend was selling a car. I went to look. She was asking $1000, but when I saw it I knew it wasnt worth it, but the basic body was ok. Sat under a tree for the last year while she was at rotc. She also made some enemies and someone had dumped a can of (white) house paint on it (luckily it was latex!). It started but didn't run well, brakes did not work etc. So as I was looking at it I was building up this list of things it needed in my head. I was also doing it out loud and after a some time had passed, she started dropping the price down. And down. And down. 800. 500. 200. Free. Well you got me there. So I took it.

My friend ended up making me pay her 200 because he felt bad

The night I got it home (feb 2007)

The next day after I washed the **** off if it. Using a bottle of clorox spray bleach.

Present day
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      97 Jetta Jazz Edition
      08-03-2011 03:26 AM #26
      Bought my GLI in November 2010 for $500! The car had high miles (230,xxx) and was blowing smoke and leaking oil really bad. I swapped in a lower mileage motor and found a hole in the trans bellhousing. Long story short, i did a lot of work to get it to its current state!

before

after

R.I.P. Alexi aka VW_streetrider

Vehicles
      87 Golf GL
      08-03-2011 09:52 AM #27
      ^ that is a great turn around

I got mine for free. Came from a family friend. It was his parents car and they passed away and the car had just been sitting in a garage for two years.

That guy was in my town for a visit last weekend and I took him for a stroll down memory lane. It must have been strange riding in a car again so many years later that you rode in when you were a teenager. Needless to say he was pretty happy.

DSC_0153 copy

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '88 Ranger
      08-03-2011 10:03 AM #28
      I helped my buddy buy this 92 Golf GL from my old boss' father years and years ago. He kept pretty good care of it, then bought a MK5 Rabbit as replacement. Finally, after it sat for a couple of years he agreed to sell it to me for $500.

I put another six or seven grand into it or so and it looked like this:

Fast forward to March of this year and my buddy dropped off this low mile, pretty much stock 88 Jetta. He's one of my best friends and a ridiculously nice guy, and refused to take any money for it.

Right now I'm part way done with redoing the interior and some other small upgrades.
      Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Ellen the Jetta Reba the Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
      You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

29. 08-03-2011 10:51 AM #29
      Some cool stories in here!

Vehicles
      some stuff with wheels and engines
      08-03-2011 10:59 AM #30
      bought it for $250 from a towing company (abandoned car) with a good inspection sticker for almost a year left on it. put shifter bushings in, drove it for 4 months and sold it for $800. did absolutely nothing to it, but clean it and drive it. paid for itself by parking the truck for that time period

Vehicles
      86 GLI, 66 Bug, 65 bug, 94 GLS
      08-03-2011 12:03 PM #31
      Paid $500 for a black GL that I could never get running. It had damage down the passenger side and for many years prior had been started with starting fluid. Had to send it to the junkyard after parting it out

For my current, I paid $700 for a running 86 Pirelli Edition GLI. Always had a massive vacuum leak on hot days and the motor was shot internally. Now there is an ABA with gxsr carbs in it, shaved bay, and ce2 swap. Just need to finish her up and get her back on the road.

Need to know about your a2? Click Here

Build Thread: Check It

Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      I set my mk2 on fire weekly, just to remind it who is boss

Vehicles
      1990 VW Jetta \/ 1992 VW Jetta /\
      08-03-2011 01:31 PM #32
      Bought this as a winter beater for $240

A few hundred dollars and some elbow grease later, It ended up like this.

VolksWagen: Bis Zum Bitteren Ende

Quote Originally Posted by calyp_so_fine View Post
      dude the new hype is to not give a ****, so you sir are obviously out of style at this moment

Vehicles
      1986 VW Jetta GLI Pirelli Edition
      08-03-2011 01:53 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by IbisWhiteWolf View Post
      Bought this as a winter beater for $240

A few hundred dollars and some elbow grease later, It ended up like this.

That is a sweet Country Jetta monster truck thing.

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      08-03-2011 02:20 PM #34
      Just got a call yesterday from a guy wanting to sell me his 99 Beetle for $500..and all it needs is a t-stat. Going to pick it up tomorrow...MUahahaha

35. Member
      Vehicles
      1985 ABA MK2 Golf
      08-03-2011 02:23 PM #35
      WTF, really?! 1.8t or 2.0?

Bastid

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      Just got a call yesterday from a guy wanting to sell me his 99 Beetle for $500..and all it needs is a t-stat. Going to pick it up tomorrow...MUahahaha

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast