Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steampunk cars

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      08-01-2011 03:43 PM #1
      saw this article and found it pretty interesting, makes me appreciate these "works of art" more

http://walyou.com/steampunk-antique-cars/

Cars have long been considered one of the most important manifestations of our geekiness to the outside world. There seem to be endless car mods, but we have to admit that the coolest of all must have something to do with steampunk – an art form that combines both the antique of the Victorian era and the imagination of science fiction. Below are 14 awesome steampunk car mods that any moto geek would die to have. Cummins Steampunk Rod

Via: Swanee 3
      Spotted at 2009 Viva Las Vegas Car Show, this wonderful steampunk rat rod made quite an impression on the audience.
      King of the Road

Via: Pairadocs
      Dubbed as King of the Road, this amazing steampunk car deserves its name to every centimeter. The huge wheels, the dusty brown, the authentic steampunk design, the King of the Road has everything to make any driver go crazy.
      Amazing Steampunk Car

Via: Whtthefsck
      One of the finest steampunk car mods you will ever see, this amazing steampunk car comes with various gadgets and accessories that any science fiction fan can easily identify. Steampunk at its best!
      NYC Steampunk Car

Via: Good Experience
      Imagine that you are walking down the broad avenues of glamorous and modern New York City and you suddenly spot this: an ultra cool steampunk rat rod that brings you right back to 1940s.
      Seattle Steampunk Car

Via: Maralinga
      This steampunk car was spotted parking at Greenlake, Seattle. With the pipes and the horn from early 20th century, things can’t get any more steampunk.
      Steam Trunk Industries Rat Rod

Via: Steampunk Worship
      Folks at Stream Trunk Industries have done a brilliant job when they took one of the best rat rods and blended in some Steampunk elements to build this wonderful steampunk rat rod.
      Steampunk Beetle

Via: Automopedia
      A 1972 VW Beetle was modded into a super cool steampunk car by a steampunk freak and an engineering genius. Registered in Ohio as a 1985 assembled vehicle, the car managed to get itself the Mass plates STMPNK which is apparently short for “Steampunk.”
      Steampunk Mercedes

Via: Steampunk Workshop
      Jake von Slatt spotted a 1929 Mercedes Gazelle SSK replica on eBay and bought it for $1500. He then did some magical changes with a lot brass to give it an amazing steampunk look.
      The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Steampunk Car

Via: Fotki
      Fans of “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” will have no problem recognizing this steampunk car. It is a ideal combination of aesthetics and geekiness.
      Art Deco Steampunk Car

Via: Source
      Some might argue that this car of more of Art Deco than Steampunk, the wooden panels and antique design is enough to satisfy hardcore steampunk fans.
      Tawdry Steampunk Car

Via: Photomato
      Despite tawdry details that we don’t normally see at a steampunk creation, this steampunk car, spotted at Maker Faire 2009, managed to keep basic characteristics and the Victorian look of a steampunk car.
      Steampunk Camaro

Via: Zedomax
      This retro-futuristic Chevy Camaro, aka the Steampunk Kamaro, is something that will make you rub your eyes to see if it’s real or not. And yeah, it isn’t real. It’s only a graphic rendering by artist John ‘Jazz’ Vernon.
      Steampunk Automobile 1888

Via: Mesh Box BB
      Powered by both a conventional engine, plus twin side engines built on an advance on the steam engine, this beautiful Steampunk Automobile 1888 features a powerful machine under a hood of dark wood, copper and brass. It’s a model designed y by a software called Clockwork Steampunk Automobile Pro.
      Steampunk Golden Car

Via: Alfo Art
      This is another steampunk car design that will make you scream out loud: Why all cool things are not real? Folks behind Alfoart website did an amazing job when they took a photo of a normal daily car and turned it into an amazing steampunk car.

Vehicles
      Saab 9-3
      08-01-2011 03:53 PM #2
      I have a real hard time getting into cars with a bunch of extra weight tacked onto them for "style"

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      08-01-2011 03:55 PM #3
      Trying to be "retro" and interesting, but it just seems contrived and corny most of the time. Odd, that's kind of like every other fad nowadays.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      2008 Mazdaspeed 3
      08-01-2011 03:58 PM #4
      The Camaro is quite lacking in this category if you ask me. Sorry excuse for a steampunk styled vehicle compared to the rest.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      08-01-2011 04:02 PM #5
      where does the term "Steampunk" originate from?

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      08-01-2011 04:02 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      Trying to be "retro" and interesting, but it just seems contrived and corny most of the time. Odd, that's kind of like every other fad nowadays.
      a hellaflush bozoku steampunk miata could potentially implode the internet
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

08-01-2011 04:55 PM #7
      The rat rods above are not steampunk IMHO. They are simply rat rods. Steampunk typically means lot's of brass, exposed steam piping, maybe a boiler or two, and leather.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazdaspeed 3
      08-01-2011 05:03 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      where does the term "Steampunk" originate from?
      From Wiki

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used—usually the Victorian era Britain—that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.

Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical engine.

Steampunk is sometimes compared to cyberpunk, although apart from the shared origins of the name, they have almost nothing in common. Their time period and level of technology are different and steampunk settings also tend to be less dystopian.

Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.

Vehicles
      '13 ATS 2.0T, '13 Lexus RX350 AWD,'69 280SEL, '68 C10 SWB Stepside
      08-01-2011 05:06 PM #9
      uh, pretty much all those besides the gm wagon are not steampunk, and that is just an abortion.

since when do chopped rods classify as steampunk? or even a really terrible mercedes gazelle kitcar?

so it goes... ಠ_ಠ

08-01-2011 05:19 PM #10
      The best thing I can say about these is that they make our unmolested classics more valuable as they decrease in numbers. Some of these look more like the Cars of Walmart than Steampunk.

This is like the epic threads. If you try too hard, they never become epic.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep GC 4.0, 2002 Maxima SE
      08-01-2011 05:21 PM #11
      idgi

08-01-2011 05:22 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DISI 2.3T View Post
      The Camaro is quite lacking in this category if you ask me. Sorry excuse for a steampunk styled vehicle compared to the rest.
      i agree that one is a fail
      2009 Jeep Patriot.
      2007 Dodge Gran Caravan

08-01-2011 05:24 PM #13
      fine line between a perfect steampunk and a ZAV
      2009 Jeep Patriot.
      2007 Dodge Gran Caravan

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      08-01-2011 05:38 PM #14
      Do ANY of these use a boiler for power? No? Not steampunk then. I love the Cummins rod but the rest, meh
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Vehicles
      Porsche 951, e36 M3 Sedan, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      08-01-2011 05:41 PM #15
      the only cool one was the first one. I would love to have that car

Vehicles
      08 Acura TSX, 09 Triumph Street Triple 675
      08-01-2011 05:49 PM #16
      I want to drive one of these in a big daddy suit.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-01-2011 05:51 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Do ANY of these use a boiler for power? No? Not steampunk then. I love the Cummins rod but the rest, meh
      "Steampunk" is a style and fashion, not demanding steam be the actual motive power. Brass, Glass, Copper and Chrome are defining elements of the style, along with leather, lace and buckled straps instead of buttons or latches. It typically is supposed to be a "what if" style: "What if the Victorian English had flamethrowers and ray guns?" kind of thing.

"Mad Victorian Scientist" is a good theme for the period, too. Old school electrical components can be good visuals, like the exposed double pole knife switches, open air relays, Leyden jar capacitors, and sparky brush motors and generators. Tesla coils and Jacob's Ladder accoutrements also fit.

Wire or wagon style wheels are appropriate, wood whenever we'd use plastic, lots of rivets and exposed bolt heads, lots of hard piping with very little hose visible. External weighted governors, of course, and cogs and gears. A supercharger would be more appropriate than a turbo, at least visibly, ditto a carburetor (or a rotary/inline injection pump for a diesel), and an inline engine of either very few cylinders or an absurd number.

Most of the rat rods fail because they're too low and too, well, 20-30s in style, not to mention at least one of them is showing off a V engine. The rest, I have no words.

The diesel in the beginning comes close; I've attended a couple steam shows (including SteamCon). They'd have to pick it up and clean it up, throw more brass on it, hide the turbo somewhere, things like that.
      Last edited by turbinepowered; 08-01-2011 at 05:54 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      08-01-2011 06:12 PM #18
      Il Tempo Gigante - never meant to be steampunk, just is.

flick
      r

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      08-01-2011 06:17 PM #19
      Oh, is steampunk still a thing?
      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      08-01-2011 06:27 PM #20
      11 pages of Steampunk, including many of the cars listed here.

http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread....ight=steampunk

My favorite remains the Voisin Laboratoire even though it predated Steampunk by many decades. There's a wonderful pictorial review of this re-creation here: http://www.switchimage.org/Lefebvre_1_E.html

Last edited by Porridgehead; 08-01-2011 at 06:35 PM.
      --Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

08-01-2011 06:27 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Il Tempo Gigante - never meant to be steampunk, just is.

Looks contrived, missing the point of Steampunk.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

22. Member
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      08-01-2011 06:39 PM #22
      Seems to me that 'steampunk' and 'rat rod' are actually similes for self powered junkyards on wheels. Must be hell trying to register one . Worse yet, it must be very tough to point to one with a smile on your face and proclaim, "that baby there - that's mine". Hey, different strokes for different folks
      RB

08-01-2011 06:41 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Rowayton View Post
      Seems to me that 'steampunk' and 'rat rod' are actually similes for self powered junkyards on wheels. Must be hell trying to register one . Worse yet, it must be very tough to point to one with a smile on your face and proclaim, "that baby there - that's mine". Hey, different strokes for different folks
      RB
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      08-01-2011 06:42 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Looks contrived, missing the point of Steampunk.
      It's from 1975

flick
      r

The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      08-01-2011 07:19 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      "Steampunk" is a style and fashion, not demanding steam be the actual motive power. Brass, Glass, Copper and Chrome are defining elements of the style, along with leather, lace and buckled straps instead of buttons or latches. It typically is supposed to be a "what if" style: "What if the Victorian English had flamethrowers and ray guns?" kind of thing.
      Yea yea, I'm a nerd too
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-01-2011 08:33 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Yea yea, I'm a nerd too
      Nerds of the world, unite!
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      08-02-2011 03:28 AM #27
      It's from 1975
      ... and it works! But you are correct about it not beeing steampunk, in that it outdates the trend by a good margin.

Here's parts of the movie in which a scale model was used

Last edited by Dawg Dee-Lux; 08-02-2011 at 03:32 AM.

flick
      r

Vehicles
      disco, new wave, rave era german iron...and a Japanese V8 with a tailgate
      08-02-2011 04:07 AM #28
      this
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon! View Post
      I'll go if Paul goes.
      Rod Blagojevich - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      91 EA Cabby - 02 24V GTI
      09-27-2013 02:25 PM #29
      PSN: kookly

Vehicles
      '01 Jetta VR6
      09-27-2013 03:37 PM #30
      There is actually a thread on this from a few years back

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Steampunk-Cars

Some pretty cool stuff.
      Sent from my Dell XPS M1530 using Google Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      Look...we know what Chris Harris thinks of the FR-S, and now we know what Jay Leno thinks, but what do 20 year old euro humping TCL'ers driving 10 year old golfs and who jerk it to TDIs think?! I don't think we've heard from them yet...

31. 09-27-2013 04:30 PM #31

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      09-27-2013 04:58 PM #33
      the only good looking one is from the league of extraordinary men

I wonder what it would run to build one on a modern day bentley/ or rolls chassis

33. 09-27-2013 06:30 PM #34
      ... and it works! But you are correct about it not beeing steampunk, in that it outdates the trend by a good margin.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
      While Jeter's Morlock Night and Infernal Devices, Powers' The Anubis Gates, and Blaylock's Lord Kelvin's Machine were the first novels to which Jeter's neologism would be applied, they gave the term little thought at the time.[11] However, they were far from the first modern science fiction writers to speculate on the development of steam-based technology or alternative histories. Keith Laumer's Worlds of the Imperium (1962) and Ronald W. Clark's Queen Victoria's Bomb (1967) apply modern speculation to past-age technology and society.[12] Michael Moorcock's Warlord of the Air (1971)[13] is another early example. Harry Harrison's novel A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! (1973) portrays a British Empire of an alternative year 1973...

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Wolfsburg Jetta.
      09-29-2013 01:54 PM #35
      I love this.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist
      Sitting in whale dong leather and East Pomeranian Bubinga wood doesn't make me giggle like a dumb little boy. Speed does.
      Instagram: @the_good_captain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast