Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BFI - Clean Catch Crankcase Oil Separator - for 2.0T FSI!

1. 08-04-2011 05:19 PM #1

Black Forest Industries is proud to announce the release of our newest product line:

The Clean Catch Crankcase Oil Separator, the most advanced, most functional and best looking option to remove excess oil vapor from your PCV/Intake tract.

One of the biggest concerns of the direct injection engine design - is what to do with crankcase vapor. As with all emissions compliant vehicles, the PCV gasses must be recirculated back into the intake tract. The problem with direct injection is that those latent oil vapor laden gasses then help with the process of carbon deposition on the intake valves. For many who have experienced this, you will be familiar with valves that look like this:

Help to limit those deposits by removing as much of the oil vapor from the PCV system as possible with one of our Clean Catch catch cans!

This is the can for the FSI engine ('05-'08.5):

Click the picture for pricing and info!

All FSI Clean Catch catch cans utilize our new VAGPORT PCV connection system and come with pre-crimped #8 hoses, fittings, brackets and all necessary hardware for installation in minutes! Each Clean Catch FSI catch can is designed to fit under the factory airbox/intake as well as the factory "noise pipe"

2. Member
      Vehicles
      MY11 Golf R
      08-16-2011 03:07 AM #2
      I'd love to buy one but have a problem because there is a charcoal canister right where yoo have mounted it. I'm also running an EVO MS intake so mounting it the other side is also a problem. Do you also have a block off for the hose that comes out of the back of the tappet cover than dumps right at the inlet of the turbo?
      Golf R 5 door, DSG, EVOMS CAI, TXS DP, Recode Tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Godspeed Project FMIC. 12.581 @ 107.49mph

3. 08-22-2011 05:15 PM #3
      Unfortunately at this time we don't have a solution for cars with a charcoal canister (ie European and ROW cars), but we will look at it in the future.

I'm not following your second question entirely - the hose you talk about running from the valve cover to the turbo is integral to keeping the system a closed loop system. The can is plumbed into the internal passages and valleyways of the valve cover, the exit of which is the rear port on the valve cover. Without that hose it would no longer draw vacuum on the system.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      MY11 Golf R
      08-22-2011 05:44 PM #4
      When I fitted my intake I noticed that there was also oil feeding out of the back line into the turbo inlet. Without adding this into the catch can system or blocking it off you are still going to have oil going into the inlet tract and will still have carbon build up on the valves.
      Golf R 5 door, DSG, EVOMS CAI, TXS DP, Recode Tune, Autotech HPFP internals, Godspeed Project FMIC. 12.581 @ 107.49mph

5. 08-25-2011 05:27 PM #5
      zbeasty

You are correct, it is still plumbed into the intake - this necessary in a closed system to create vacuum to allow the crancase to vent. The only way to completely remove the can from the intake path would be to set it up as a VTA (Vent To Atmosphere) can, which is possible, but raises some other problems (ie emissions compatibility) that make it not the right solution for every driver.

Vehicles
      08 GTI K04/04 JETTA TDI
      08-30-2011 09:03 PM #6
      any shots of the inside baffles or of the can being emptied and where the opening is?
      K04/UNITRONIC STAGE 2+/APR HPFP/42DD CATCHCAN/APR CATBACK/UNITRONIC CATLESS DP/BC RACING COILOVERS/APR INTERCOOLER/BSH TRU-SEAL/BSH BULLET PROOF DV/BSH MOUNT KIT/RH ZW4'S 18X8.5/9.5 BLACK W/GOLD BOLTS/VF SHORTSHIFT/AWE BOOST GAUGE/DIESEL GEEK PANZER SKIDPLATE/VOTEX KIT/ AEM WATER METH/ APR REAR SWAY W/ NEUSPEED END LINKS/TRIPLE GAUGEPOD W/AFR/OIL PRES/OILTEMP

7. 08-31-2011 11:07 PM #7
      Bane here is an interior shot and a cutaway to show flow:

As far as draining you can either do it from the -8 port at the bottom of the can, or you can unscrew the top and completely remove the can.

Vehicles
      08 GTI K04/04 JETTA TDI
      09-02-2011 08:33 PM #8
      so the air appears to traveling throught the tube into the port then around one of the walls and slams into the other wall? Does this cause the oil/water to basically stick to the wall and slide down? not sure that i see what causes the filtering/catching of the catch can? Im not hating at all as i am not impressed with my 42DD can as it gets all gummed up inside in the filter discs. Just looking for a better option
      K04/UNITRONIC STAGE 2+/APR HPFP/42DD CATCHCAN/APR CATBACK/UNITRONIC CATLESS DP/BC RACING COILOVERS/APR INTERCOOLER/BSH TRU-SEAL/BSH BULLET PROOF DV/BSH MOUNT KIT/RH ZW4'S 18X8.5/9.5 BLACK W/GOLD BOLTS/VF SHORTSHIFT/AWE BOOST GAUGE/DIESEL GEEK PANZER SKIDPLATE/VOTEX KIT/ AEM WATER METH/ APR REAR SWAY W/ NEUSPEED END LINKS/TRIPLE GAUGEPOD W/AFR/OIL PRES/OILTEMP

9. 09-06-2011 11:05 PM #9
      Yes you are more or less correct - it is a modified cyclonic/vortex style can, ie the purpose of the baffles is to increase surface area to allow the incoming vapor to contact and condense. This method of separation negates the need for filters and perforated panels. The condensation effect traps most of the suspended vapor before it exits the can.

10. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      09-16-2011 01:05 PM #10

Vehicles
      08 GTI K04/04 JETTA TDI
      09-17-2011 02:14 PM #11
      was also reading a post on MKV.com, any input on running this can with the bsh mounts?

12. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      09-20-2011 10:32 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by BaneGTI View Post
      was also reading a post on MKV.com, any input on running this can with the bsh mounts?
      We don't have any firsthand experience with the BSH mounts and our Clean Catch products.
      The Clean Catch is designed to work with the stock engine mounts. We do provide a spacer for those customers running a Clean Catch and a BFI motor mount. You may be able to use our spacer will BSH mounts, but we do not know the exact thickness of the BSH base plate to guarantee it to work.

13. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      10-03-2011 12:47 PM #13

14. 10-03-2011 07:51 PM #14
      Looks like a real quality product. But i cant stomach the price x_x

15. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      10-04-2011 12:50 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by SorryIfarted View Post
      Looks like a real quality product. ...
      It absolutely is.
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES
      pete@blackforestindustries.com

16. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      10-24-2011 11:50 AM #16
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

17. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      11-02-2011 11:35 AM #17
      *Promotion Has Expired*
      Last edited by pete@blackforest; 12-14-2011 at 10:30 AM.
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

18. 11-03-2011 07:58 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by joe@blackforest View Post
      Bane here is an interior shot and a cutaway to show flow:

As far as draining you can either do it from the -8 port at the bottom of the can, or you can unscrew the top and completely remove the can.

Wow that's a very expensive can, it looks externally nice, but, what's it's volume flow, oil particle separation size and percentage of exiting gas still contaminated with suspended oil particles ?

19. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      11-07-2011 04:58 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Koprowski View Post
      Wow that's a very expensive can, it looks externally nice, but, what's it's volume flow, oil particle separation size and percentage of exiting gas still contaminated with suspended oil particles ?
      The Can is not the bottleneck in flow - the hose, and more specifically the fittings and their associated joints are the restrictions of the system. That being said those joints in all of our fittings are capable of up to and above 6 cfm of flow - which exceeds the flow requirements of the PCV system, so flow is not an issue.

Since the gas is not homogeneous, (both water and oil vapor) it would be just a guess as to the oil particle size, but the separation is upwards of 80% and higher depending on the length of the hose runs to the can.
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

20. 11-08-2011 08:42 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      The Can is not the bottleneck in flow - the hose, and more specifically the fittings and their associated joints are the restrictions of the system. That being said those joints in all of our fittings are capable of up to and above 6 cfm of flow - which exceeds the flow requirements of the PCV system, so flow is not an issue.

Since the gas is not homogeneous, (both water and oil vapor) it would be just a guess as to the oil particle size, but the separation is upwards of 80% and higher depending on the length of the hose runs to the can.
      Your can may not be a bottle neck, but it does play a vital role when considering volume flow (can size) and volume holding capacity! As you catch more oil, you reduce the available flowing volume capacity!

And as I look at your images, your drawing is different to your actual, in your drawing the incoming air is directed beyond your intended baffle wall, through a cut out, and I should guess from your indicating arrows, you expect the air flow to hit your second solid baffle wall, before exiting your can ?

Doesn't air always take the path of least resistance ?

Your actual cutaway image, shows that the incoming air will hit only 1 of the intended solid baffle plate walls, and then find the easiest least resistance path to exit, bypassing your second baffle plate solid wall altogether!

The incoming gas will be homogenous, your can will be collecting evacuated PCV gasses from cold right until the oil has reached it's optimal working temperature, enabling it to start to burn off condensed water vapour from heat cycling, so for those that do short trips, their engines oil will never reach optimal working temperature, hence why we see emulsified oil mix in the oil cap and in the camshaft cover, and then people start assuming they may have a blown head gasket!

How can you guess upwards of 80% particle separation, when you have no way of passing the incoming air through a filtration medium (coalescing) ?

21. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      11-29-2011 01:42 PM #21
      Thanks for the Black Friday orders everyone! Promo has ended!
      We received hundreds of orders and are doing our best to ship them promptly.
      Please understand there may be a delay on some orders.
      Check your 'Order Status' link provided in your original e-mail receipt.
      Thanks!
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

22. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      12-09-2011 12:16 PM #22
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

23. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      12-13-2011 02:34 PM #23
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      12-13-2011 11:25 PM #24
      I just bought mine this week but I missed this. Boo

25. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      12-15-2011 02:18 PM #25
      Holiday Promotion Has Expired

Donate by clicking HERE
      Last edited by pete@blackforest; 12-19-2011 at 02:44 PM.
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

26. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      12-22-2011 11:36 AM #26
      Happy Holidays!
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

27. 12-29-2011 06:44 PM #27
      $430? yikes

28. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      01-16-2012 02:17 PM #29
      Our New Year Promotion has ended. Thanks for everyone's orders!
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

29. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      02-01-2012 04:55 PM #30
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

30. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      02-15-2012 01:45 PM #31
      Thanks for the 's on Facebook everyone!
      A winner of our contest has been chosen and contacted via Facebook. Check your inboxes!
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

31. Member
      02-16-2012 09:54 PM #32
      Any thoughts on an air/oil separator, that returns the oil back to the pan? So eliminating the need to dump it. A benefit in a cold weather climate(NoDak). I believe I seen one from BSH but that was for TSI motor not FSI.

http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/522

This is obviously not for our cars, but is the idea I would MUCH rather have than one that needs constant attention(monitoring for how full it is) or constant dumping like in a winter condition so it doesn't turn into a block of ice over night.

32. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      02-17-2012 11:44 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Kelion View Post
      Any thoughts on an air/oil separator, that returns the oil back to the pan? ...
      The problem with running the catch can back to your oil pan in a street driven vehicle is the amount of moisture that would be going back into your engine.
      On a racecar, that's driven wide open, this is not an issue. In addition, oil is changed more frequently on race cars.
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

33. Member
      02-17-2012 01:02 PM #34
      The problem with running the catch can back to your oil pan in a street driven vehicle is the amount of moisture that would be going back into your engine.
      Now correct me if I'm wrong or inform me, I'm just trying to understand so I can make a purchase. But moisture is everywhere, if there is air there is some amount of moisture in it. Moisture isn't the reason I would be getting a can/separator, oil in the intake charge is the reason we should have these. The moisture will eventually evaporate somewhere along the lines, but oil on my intake valves doesn't get cleaned off due to the 2.0T and it's direct injection. And having moisture collected in a can would be good, except in Jan here where our winters sometimes get to 40 below, before the wind chill factor. That would(and correct me if I'm wrong) make the can useless if I didn't empty it continually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34. Forum Sponsor pete@blackforest's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi/BMW
      02-20-2012 02:20 PM #35
      A catch can that empties to your oil pan is not ideal for a street driven vehicles.
      The can not only catches oil vapors, but as a consequence of the design water vapor will accumulate in the catch can as well.
      If this water was recirculated back into your oil pan, it would pollute the oil and reduce its ability to properly lubricate your engine.
      Routine emptying of our Clean Catch products is required in order for the product to work correctly and successfully reduce oil vapor blow-by from making its way back into your intake tract.
      Pete D.
      BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast