Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 88 cabriolet fuel pump problem

Vehicles
      88 vw cabriolet 05 jetta gli 91 jetta diesel 09 vw rabbit
      08-05-2011 10:39 AM #1
      hi i have a 88 cabriolet with cis and 8v motor. problem is it hessatates about 1 min after startup. it seems to clear out somtimes and somtimes it dont. today it started up and idled for about 5 mins and just shut off. then it wouldent restart. i didnt hear any fuel pumps running. so i took out the relay and jumpered it and the fuel pump ran. i pulled the relay apart (it was rattling) and found a litlle spring coroded off. i put the relay back in and after a few cranks it fired. one other thing is the only time you here the fuel pump running is if u just bump the ignition. i never hear any pump by just turning the key, shouldent i hear it priming. should i replace the relay, or bad or weak pumps, and just for a little more info the car had sat in a garage for 9 years.... all old gas was drained and new gas was put in, thanks for any imput

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      08-05-2011 11:01 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by cwismk4 View Post
      ......... i pulled the relay apart (it was rattling) and found a litlle spring coroded off........
      ........... should i replace the relay.....
      Kind of answered your own question even before you asked it, huh?
      vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      08-05-2011 12:14 PM #3
      yeah, but would that make only one pump run, like i said theres no bzzzzzz when you turn the key.

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 86 QSW (still unnamed); 90 325iX (Nina - RIP); 89 325iX (kid's new car)
      08-05-2011 10:33 PM #4
      And, you said that
      - you found the fuel pump relay to be broken internally
      - the fuel pumps run (and, the car runs) if you swap in the horn relay.

Are the fuel pumps OK? Is the rest of the fuel system OK? Can't say - the pump relay is known to be bad. That needs to be changed first.

My recommendations:
      Replace the pump relay, and replace the fuel filter (they don't take too well to years of sitting.) See how it runs after that.
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 5
      things currently broken (QSW): 5!!

Vehicles
      08-06-2011 02:28 PM #5
      ok thanks , i just put in a new relay,and and fuel filter. now i get the bzzzz when you turn the key , the car fires and idles nicely, still seems to hessatate on acceleration, it seems that once it warms up it goes away compeatly, the only thing thats not hooked up on the car is the 2''aluminum flex pipe that comes from the airbox to ? it rusted off what does that do?

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      08-06-2011 03:20 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by cwismk4 View Post
      the only thing thats not hooked up on the car is the 2''aluminum flex pipe that comes from the airbox to ? it rusted off what does that do?
      The pre-heat hose runs from the air box over to a flange on the exhaust manifold. If your car is missing this hose, it's not a problem unless you live in a cold climate. The purpose of the hose is to introduce warm air into the system during the warm-up phase.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to the VW Cabriolets
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May