Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VR6 PCV Valve??

Vehicles
      05 GTI 1.8T
      08-05-2011 09:26 PM #1
      I have already searched and am coming up with a lot of conflicting information, so here it is...

I recently purchased a turbo VR6 (12v OBD2). First off, the car runs like a dream...no issues with misfiring or anything. Yesterday I took my air filter off to clean it and discovered a puddle of oil in the intake tube. Im assuming that it is coming from the valve cover by way of a faulty PCV valve.

My first thought was to order a new one from the dealer, but it looks like everyone agrees that you have to buy the whole intake boot. Obviously a stock intake boot wont work for me.

Then I found a post that said the VR6 doesn't HAVE a PCV valve. Which is interesting, because I don't actually SEE a valve on my car. BUT, if I didn't have a vave at all, wouldnt the car be running poorly?

I understand there are some kits that involve "catch cans" but I'm not sure if I want to do that. The last thing my engine bay needs is more clutter.

Or, I could just slap a breather on the valve cover it and plug the hole in the intake.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vehicles
      95 glx
      08-05-2011 09:34 PM #2
      I don't see why you would have to get a whole new intake tube

Just run a catch can or like you said, plug the tube and put a breather filter on the valve cover. You'll just have to take it off and clean it often but no more oil in your intake
      12v 40amp SPDT Relays for sale. Relay your headlights, doors, trunk... Click here to buy

Vehicles
      B4 wagon vr6 94 Jetta III GL 2.0 97 Jetta GLX VR6
      08-05-2011 10:41 PM #3
      I dont think they have PCV valves. I know that there is a hose coming from the oil pan on the front passenger side that runs back into the air box. Ive seen the new ones on ecstuning but I dont think a new hose would help. Just slap a small filter on it and it will work.

Vehicles
      a turd
      08-05-2011 10:46 PM #4
      That is asinine. There is a freakin' PCV valve on a VR6. Check out 42dd's PCV fix.