Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mind Over Miles - 24hrs, 255mi, 1 Man and His Bike for PPCS

1. 08-05-2011 10:38 PM #1
      IT'S HERE; GO-TIME! I still need $185 to reach 1K. I KNOW we can close this gap by the time I reach Maine tomorrow morning. Thank you to everyone who's donated thus far. http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15763!

Mark your calendar and join me on September 29th, 2011 in my journey across four States as I bicycle 255 miles in 24 hours from Bristol, CT to Portland, ME to help raise funds for Christine; a dear friend who suffers from Prolonged Post-Concussion Syndrome — a “mild” form of Traumatic Brain Injury.

Say Hello to Christine:

Take a moment to Read Her Story if you haven’t already.

Now, I know you don't know Christine personally but you have a real chance to change someone's life for the better. 100% of your donation will go directly to helping Christine receive a much needed and long overdue Functional MRI (fMRI) brain scan that may help shed some light on her path to recovery by allowing her doctors to view blood and cerebral spinal fluid flow to the damaged part of her brain.

Prolonged Post-Concussion Syndrome (PPCS) is widely misunderstood and may not sound like a horrible "illness" on the surface but imagine not being able to throw a leg over your bike (or whatever else you enjoy doing) because you become dizzy and nauseous after a few short miles (if you're lucky enough to make it that far). You become almost instantly fatigued and have to deal with a debilitating headache. The only way to feel "better" is to lay down and rest for hours.

I hope to never have to go through it and it pains me to think she's been dealing with this for close to two years now. This is a real illness than can effect any one of us. All it takes is a blow to the head. Some people are lucky and bounce back within a week. Others suffer for months, years, and sometimes a lifetime.

I'm still $2,074.00 short of reaching my fundraising goal. If you can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

If you can't afford to donate money at this time; you can still help by spreading the word to those who can. Power in numbers! If we can get the word out to 2̶5̶0̶ 208 people willing to donate a minimum of $10 each - my goal will be reached and Christine will be one step closer to recovering from PPCS.

Here’s how you can help; It’s easy.

Click the map to view my route on RideWithGPS.com
      Last edited by BarnDweller; 09-29-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Content

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 JSW
      08-14-2011 03:23 PM #2
      when are you actually doing the ride? Or is it TBD? I'd like to make a donation but have a lot of stuff on my plate right now, if it won't be for a few weeks, I can probably help you out.

Also, what if you don't raise the full amount? Will you still ride or... ?

3. 08-14-2011 03:59 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by james 07 View Post
      when are you actually doing the ride? Or is it TBD? I'd like to make a donation but have a lot of stuff on my plate right now, if it won't be for a few weeks, I can probably help you out.

Also, what if you don't raise the full amount? Will you still ride or... ?
      Exact date is TBD but ballpark is late September / early October of this year.

I'll ride no matter what the amount raised at the time but ideally I'd like to make my fundraising goal before the ride. It's an aggressive goal that is already off track, but the faster I raise the funds, the faster my friend can receive treatment. By my calculations I now need to raise an average of $350.00 a week. I'll will continue to fundraise post ride if need be until my goal is met.

I'll obviously accept any donation amount but all I'm asking for is a small donation. I just need a lot of small donations to make it count. If I can get the word out to 250 caring people - $10 each would be all that is needed to raise $2,500.00. It's finding those 250 people that's the hard part.

Thank you James. It's been disheartening thus far. Getting my "friends" to donate has proven difficult so the fact that a complete stranger has shown interest makes me think there might be hope yet. Even if you can not donate, you and others alike can still help by spreading the word to those who can.
      Last edited by BarnDweller; 08-14-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling...

4. 08-16-2011 08:19 AM #4

Thank you to all who have donated this past week! $250.00 raised / $10 a mile = 25 miles of road sponsored. My goal for this week is to reach the Massachusetts border which is only 38 miles away. Help me get from Bloomfield, CT to Monson, MA by Tuesday, August 23rd. Spread the word!

http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15763
      Last edited by BarnDweller; 08-16-2011 at 08:57 AM.

5. 08-26-2011 11:51 AM #5
      Mark your calendar! On Thursday September 29th, 2011, I’ll set out to bicycle 255 miles in 24 hours from Bristol, CT to Portland, ME to help raise funds for Christine; a dear friend who suffers from Prolonged Post-Concussion Syndrome — a “mild” form of Traumatic Brain Injury.

Say Hello to Christine:

Take a moment to Read Her Story if you haven’t already.

With that said; have a look at the planned 255 mile bicycle route here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/585012

Be sure to periodically check in on my blog, http://ppcs.tumblr.com/ on September 29th and 30th for updates from the road!

6. 09-06-2011 12:26 AM #6
      23 days away until I cycle 255 miles in 24 hours to help raise funds for Christine!

I know you don't know Christine personally but you have a real chance to change someone's life for the better. 100% of your donation will go directly to helping Christine receive a much needed and long overdue Functional MRI (fMRI) brain scan that may help shed some light on her path to recovery by allowing her doctors to view blood and cerebral spinal fluid flow to the damaged part of her brain.

Prolonged Post-Concussion Syndrome (PPCS) is widely misunderstood and may not sound like a horrible "illness" on the surface but imagine not being able to throw a leg over your bike (or whatever else you enjoy doing) because you become dizzy and nauseous after a few short miles (if you're lucky enough to make it that far). You become almost instantly fatigued and have to deal with a debilitating headache. The only way to feel "better" is to lay down and rest for hours.

I hope to never have to go through it and it kills me inside to think she's been dealing with this for close to two years now. This is a real illness than can effect any one of us. All it takes is a blow to the head. Some people are lucky and bounce back within a week. Others suffer for months, years, and sometimes a lifetime.

I'm still $2,249.00 short of reaching my fundraising goal. Please, if you can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

If you can't afford to donate money at this time; you can still help by spreading the word to those who can. Power in numbers! If we can get the word out to 225 people willing to donate a minimum of $10 each - my goal will be reached and Christine will be one step closer to recovering from PPCS.

Vehicles
      2004 RS .:R, 2004 Fuji Professional
      09-10-2011 01:10 AM #7
      bump for a good friend doing the right thing.

8. 09-13-2011 02:14 PM #8
      16 days from today I'll begin my journey across four States as I bicycle 255 miles in 24 hours from Bristol, CT to Portland, ME to help raise funds for Christine; a dear friend who suffers from Prolonged Post-Concussion Syndrome — a “mild” form of Traumatic Brain Injury.

If you're in, around, or plan to visit Connecticut this autumn, I'm raffling a chance to win a hot air balloon ride for one.

Everything you need to know can be found here: http://ppcs.tumblr.com/post/10164892...r-balloon-ride

Vehicles
      92 Cab, 76 Rabbit, 07 Rabbit
      09-14-2011 02:51 PM #9
      Donated. Keep it up!

10. 09-14-2011 03:15 PM #10
      Thanks for the support Wunderdub and GinsterGTI!

The ride just so happens to end at the Allagash Brewery so I'll be sure to drink a beer for each of you

Vehicles
      09-14-2011 11:49 PM #11
      well that donation was for the fmri, i'll just have to donate for the beer, how much you plan on buying?

12. 09-18-2011 11:22 AM #12
      11 DAYS LEFT, INTERNET!!!!! and not nearly enough donations have been made. Thank you very much to those who have taken some of their extra money and put it towards this great cause. If you haven't already, please take the time to make a donation to help Christine, it only takes a minute!

http://www.pledgie.com/campaigns/15763

13. 09-22-2011 04:56 PM #13
      First off, I just want to say thank you to all who've helped along this cause. You've been great and I appreciate all the support through your donations and PM's.

One week to go!

7 Days or 168 Hours or 10,080 Minutes... However you want to look at it, we're getting down to the wire!

I'm getting a little nervous as I haven't been able to train these past 2 weeks between the rain, having a cold, and then the bike being stuck in the shop but I'll just have to push through it like Christine has been doing every day for the past 21 months.

To date you've helped raise $426.00 but I still need $2,074.00 to meet my goal so Christine can receive her treatment.

If you haven't had the chance to already, or if you're feeling extra generous; take a minute to support Christine and I - http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15763

14. 09-28-2011 08:13 AM #14
      21 HOURS REMAINING! Help me reach 1K before I begin my ride tomorrow morning. Only $230.00 to go! http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15763!

Don't forget to follow http://ppcs.tumblr.com for on-the-road updates.
      (RSS: http://ppcs.tumblr.com/rss or Like Mind over Miles on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/255in24)

Vehicles
      09-28-2011 09:00 AM #15
      Hope you have a great ride. You are doing a wonderful thing for your friend.

Vehicles
      81 vr rocco, 99 turbo f150
      09-28-2011 01:07 PM #16
      good luck man, great thing ur doing

17. 09-28-2011 07:30 PM #17
      Thanks everyone! Less than 10 hours to go! Looks like I'll be getting rained on all day too.

I still need $210 to meet me 1K goal. If you can help, please do: http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15763

Follow http://ppcs.tumblr.com tomorrow and Friday for updates from the road.

If you like RSS - http://ppcs.tumblr.com/rss

Thanks again

18. 09-29-2011 05:45 AM #18
      It’s here; Go-Time! In less than an hour I’ll step out the door and point my bike northward. It’s a mild 65° outside with a storm front looming to the west. Looks like we’ll be dealing with rain showers with localized spots of heavy rain and the potential for T-storms.

I’ll try and post updates throughout the ride so keep checking http://ppcs.tumblr.com

We still need $185 to reach 1K. We’re so close! Spread the word and tell your friends and family! I KNOW we can close this gap by the time I reach Maine tomorrow morning.

http://pledgie.com/campaigns/15763

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 12:01 AM #19
      get sommeee

moar monies to you, like i said.

Vehicles
      09-30-2011 07:12 PM #20
      you did 255.2 miles, you said 255. showofffff haha

congrats and props to you

21. 09-30-2011 11:09 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by wunderdub View Post
      you did 255.2 miles, you said 255. showofffff haha

congrats and props to you

Here are some quick stats. Full ride report to follow in the coming days. The following is all moving time.

255 miles with 13,273 feet of elevation gain in 14:02:15 averaging 18.2mph with a max speed of 40.0mph. Average HR was 149bpm with an average cadence of 82.60 revolutions per minute - approximately 69,549 pedal strokes folks!

Vehicles
      10-01-2011 10:46 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by BarnDweller View Post

Here are some quick stats. Full ride report to follow in the coming days. The following is all moving time.

255 miles with 13,273 feet of elevation gain in 14:02:15 averaging 18.2mph with a max speed of 40.0mph. Average HR was 149bpm with an average cadence of 82.60 revolutions per minute - approximately 69,549 pedal strokes folks!
      Saw it on strava this morning. Bad Ass for sure!

23. 10-01-2011 12:41 PM #23

Click photo to view ride metrics
      http://www.strava.com/rides/mind-over-miles-1811545

While the ride may be over, there's still $1,645.00 to raise. If you haven't done so already and wish to do so, you can learn about & contribute to the cause here: Christine's fMRI Brain Scan Fund.

For those of you who've already donated, THANK YOU! Christine has left you a message.

On 9/29/11 at 6:52 AM a friend of mine and I set out to cycle 255 miles in 24 hours from Bristol, CT to Portland, ME to help raise funds for Christine; a dear friend who suffers from Prolonged Post-Concussion Syndrome — a “mild” form of Traumatic Brain Injury.

It was a mild 65° outside with a storm front looming to the west. Luckily most of the heavy rain had passed overnight and the remaining showers stayed to the west for the majority of the ride. We only had to contend with the occasional sprinkle and one down-pour around Nashua, NH. Otherwise the weather for the entire ride remained overcast and soggy; I don't remember seeing a dry section of road at all.

Total ride time was 22:13:47 with a moving time of 14:02:15. I had planned 5 rest stops; one for every 50 miles with the main rest stop for dinner/sleep being at 150 miles. We ended up stopping for an hour at mile 111 to meet up with our sag support. We continued on for another 50 which brought us to Nashua, NH where we had planned to stop to eat and rest. We decided to pedal 10 more miles to The Common Man Restaurant in Windham, NH for some grub and a beer. It was on our way there that we got dumped on by rain.

We had made such good time getting to our 160 mile checkpoint that we decided to take a long break and enjoy ourselves. We took 2 hours to eat and reflect on the miles past and took a welcomed 4 hour nap (really 1 1/2 hours, I spent the rest of the time tossing and turning in the backseat of a van).

We awoke at 10 of 11 PM and got ourselves and bikes ready for the last 95 miles. By 11:40 we were back on the road, lights blazing the path ahead of us. I hammered the first 50 miles of the remaining 95 averaging 19.3 MPH and the last 45 miles 1 MPH slower at 18.3. I pulled into our final destination - the Allagash Brewery just after 5am, my friend about an hour later.

I felt great the entire ride. Not once did I feel fatigued or cramp up. Nothing hurt. Mentally I was psyched the whole time. It was only the last 30 or so miles where I was getting ready for the ride to be over. The last 58 miles right before reaching Portland was all on Route 1 which was mostly straight with very little turns. It started to get monotonous. I had no music to keep me company because 15 miles into the last leg my headphones fell from my ear and got entangled in my front wheel - instantly ripping them to shreds.

There were a few road closures to contend with. One of which we ignored and headed down anyway. It wasn't too bad. Just some washed out sections of road. The other closure was the bridge on Route 1 heading into Portland, ME from Portsmouth, NH. That one we had to find our way around but it wasn't too big of an obstacle. Other than that, it was "smooth" sailing. I say "smooth" because NH & ME really need to fix their damn roads! I'm blessed to have only received 2 flats. One of which was my fault for not thoroughly checking the tire after fixing the first flat as I flatted the second time less than a mile down the road.

All said and done, it couldn't have gone better. I felt great, I had great company and support, and it was all for a great cause.

Bikes loaded up, ready to go back home. This picture does not do the amount of filth on these bikes justice. My Tarmac had crisp white bar tape 24 hours before this photo was taken.

Vehicles
      10-01-2011 08:19 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by BarnDweller View Post
      Bikes loaded up, ready to go back home. This picture does not do the amount of filth on these bikes justice. My Tarmac had crisp white bar tape 24 hours before this photo was taken.
      that's just hard work and determination, happens to the best of us once again, congrats on the ride

25. 10-02-2011 03:26 PM #25
      Couple more photos of the grime that collects after 255 soggy miles.

FD is a beach. If you look real close you might spot a crab or two.
      Could the braking surface be any more gunked up and nasty?!

Yup. Crusty. My wheels hate me.