Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Bariman82's 1998 Jetta restoration

Vehicles
      98 Cabrio, 1983 302 RX-7, 1978 F250,02 Beetle TDI, 86 Ranger 4x4,83 16Vaba-T cabriolet project
      08-26-2011 12:40 AM #36
      for progress
      -VDUBN-
      Team Creampie
      My Car looks Dumped cuz theres Hookers in the Trunk
      Quote Originally Posted by 942drvento
      Instead of the Beer Avatar they need a Blunt
      Quote Originally Posted by uzi did it View Post
      4 doors more whores!

Vehicles
      purple girl's car
      08-26-2011 09:20 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by I haz cheezeburgerz View Post
      scrap it and move on. holy crap dude.

I'm surprised the strut towers aren't in worse shape. You're still wasting your time and energy.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      08-26-2011 09:40 PM #38
      Good God you're ambitious.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      95 Flatshred VRGTI 88 Marine Blue Coupe 87 4Runner
      08-26-2011 09:48 PM #39
      Awesome man. I cant wait til my garage is ready to tackle such a project. I love driving my car but I'd much rather be tearing it down and returning it to showroom quality.
      planetcaravan

5. 09-06-2011 12:53 PM #40
      For those hoping that I've given up, I haven't. The wire wheel and I are having a great bonding time in the garage. Until I get some pictures of the progress, here's some crusty brake lines...

Check those hardlines if you live in a salty climate!

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-06-2011 01:11 PM #41
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.

Vehicles
      98 Cabrio, 1983 302 RX-7, 1978 F250,02 Beetle TDI, 86 Ranger 4x4,83 16Vaba-T cabriolet project
      09-06-2011 01:59 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      -VDUBN-
      Team Creampie
      My Car looks Dumped cuz theres Hookers in the Trunk
      Quote Originally Posted by 942drvento
      Instead of the Beer Avatar they need a Blunt
      Quote Originally Posted by uzi did it View Post
      4 doors more whores!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      97 white vr gti
      09-06-2011 02:07 PM #43
      Im in florida so i dont have to deal with rust.
      But i have seen some rusty cars in my day. This one is probably the worst one. If you pull this off kudos to you. I know i wouldnt have even though twice about scrappin it.

Vehicles
      B4V.T3.Touareg diesels
      09-06-2011 02:08 PM #44
      damn man.
      you'd be better off putting your efforts into some
      split window bus that's been sitting in the woods for 40 years.
      club.broke.status - collective.east
      Quote Originally Posted by Jake the dog
      Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

10. 09-06-2011 02:13 PM #45

Quote Originally Posted by MKIII and Sons View Post
      damn man.
      you'd be better off putting your efforts into some
      split window bus that's been sitting in the woods for 40 years.
      Funny you mention that. I sold my '65 back in March because I knew the Jetta was a project and I didn't need another.

Vehicles
      '94 Passat Wagon
      09-06-2011 02:32 PM #46
      Awesome project!!!

12. 09-06-2011 03:06 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by PKstrategy View Post
      Did you get those dummies yet, PK?

Vehicles
      Mk1, Mk3, B5.5
      09-06-2011 03:12 PM #49
      another mk3 saved

Vehicles
      2 VAGs and a 914.
      09-06-2011 03:27 PM #50
      Big ups for restoring what you fell in love with. Never mind the people who say leave it behind.

Vehicles
      96 GTI(sold),99.5 A4(sold),98 GTI(sold),00 GTI(sold),98 Jetta(sold),97 Jetta(sold),96 GTI
      09-06-2011 05:34 PM #51
      Despite my previous comment in this thread, I am glad to see you are still plugging away at this. You have way more balls then I, or most people on this forum, do or ever will. I hope you can save this jetta and I commend you for giving it a go.

Vehicles
      MK6, MK3
      09-06-2011 06:05 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Bariman82 View Post
      Did you get those dummies yet, PK?
      why yes I did. they came in today. Thanks man

Vehicles
      1997 gti vr6
      09-06-2011 08:00 PM #53
      For a man with a plan....

Vehicles
      Couple Mk4's and a Mk3
      09-06-2011 08:27 PM #54
      Good God you're ambitious.

Vehicles
      1998 Vr6 GTi(miss her), 1989 Polar Silver Jetta 8v, 1997 Cabrio
      09-06-2011 08:38 PM #55
      Good god, my friend and I ripped up our driver side carpets to do some undercoating and some rust prevention, and I though that was rough!

You sir are, what we like to call "doing work".
      Quote Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
      your boy is a retard. find new friends.

post pics of your DE.

20. 09-07-2011 12:21 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by PKstrategy View Post
      why yes I did. they came in today. Thanks man
      You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalker1992 View Post
      undercoating and some rust prevention
      I'm doing the same, just on a more chassis-sized scale.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

21. Member
      09-07-2011 01:33 AM #57
      If the seam sealer on the strut towers is cracked, more than likely its rusted......I found rust in spots that didnt even show signs of rust being there.

I was poking around the strut tower from inside the wheel well and punched a hole the size of a 50 cent piece through the strut tower facing the fire wall........that should be fun to fix and paint.

Trust me, you are going to find a whoooooole bunch of hidden rust if those areas look like that.

Good luck

Vehicles
      94 Golf
      09-07-2011 03:16 AM #58
      Good job with your car. I know how you feel, before I even got to drive my car, I had to learn to weld and fix both strut towers and floors. It is the ungalvanized metal and underbody coating that kills these cars. I hope you are going to weld in all the repairs.

When you do your Por15, make sure you get down to metal and treat it with Metal Ready. Por15 is not worth anything if applied over just existing paint. Ask me how I know. After you get the car together, be sure to treat the underbody with anti corrosion oil. That should stop any further rust. A generous amount of anti-seize on every screw will make servicing so much nicer down the road. Replacing with stainless hardware from McMaster would be really nice.

23. 09-07-2011 09:24 AM #59
      Thanks, guys. Yes, I plan on welding in the repairs. One hole I discovered is at the top of the rear tower. That ought to be fun to fix. That and the gas door are at the top of the list.

My plan with the undercoating and seams is to wire wheel the best I can, apply the 3-step POR process, and then glob seam sealer on. The only way to really get rust out of the seams is to either cut and weld in a new section or pop all the spot welds on that panel. I've bookmarked a MK1 guy who drilled out the spot welds on the rear frame rails in order to get to the rust. I hope I won't have to get that far, but we'll see.

24. Member
      09-07-2011 09:29 AM #60
      lookin good man, you inspired me so i dug into my salty winter driven car, check out my thread.

25. 09-07-2011 10:02 AM #61
      I did. Yikes! Yours is terrible as well. You got any pics of that 430k odometer? Did it roll over?

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-07-2011 10:40 AM #62
      Nice sig Any new photos? I just finished a heater core job on my GLX which was enough of a PITA and it only made me more impressed by your progress in taking this apart. How was it dealing with rusty bolts? One of the worst things about rust other than body rot is how miserable it can make taking stuff apart.

27. 09-07-2011 10:50 AM #63
      It's funny because it's true. If people would slow down, carry a shovel or some rugs and use snow tires, we wouldn't need as much salt as they insist on putting down. You saw my first post; this car was pristine.

Just about every nut and bolt that I removed got a shot of PB Blaster...just in case. The only studs that snapped were the ones that hold the exhaust crossmember up and that rear crossmember that bolts under the rear seat. I want to take the heater box out so I can finish scraping the front floor's tarboards, but I think I'll leave that. I'm almost tempted to do the heater core just because I've got everything taken apart. Honestly, I guess it wasn't that bad. Every fastener went in a baggie with the name, number of, and location of the part or fastener. Every plug I unplugged got labeled with masking tape and a Sharpie.

I am starting to get worried about the seams. Sometimes I run the wheel over them and they're fine, sometimes I get surface rust, but when I see brown-colored undercoat that the wheel can't reach, that means that rust is in the seams. I suppose I'll use Marine Clean, soak the joint with Metal Ready, POR the thing, seamseal the daylights out of it and hope for the best. If POR does what it says, it blocks anything, including oxygen, from contacting the metal. Does rust stop forming if it runs out of air?

Dang
      Last edited by Bariman82; 09-07-2011 at 10:56 AM.

28. Member
      09-07-2011 11:56 AM #64
      I did. Yikes! Yours is terrible as well. You got any pics of that 430k odometer? Did it roll over?
      it rolled over at 300, but then i got a euro seat ibiza cluster at 370 ish but thats KM so now it only says 270 k

29. 09-07-2011 02:21 PM #65
      I'll try to get some more pictures this afternoon, but all the work is on the underside, and it's on stands. I really should make a rotisserie. I'm almost done wheeling the driver's side. I had to pick up a new wheel and stop for lunch.

30. 09-07-2011 07:14 PM #66
      Here's where I'm at. The driver's side floor is almost done. The lower firewall is done, and I started on the passenger's side.

It's neat seeing how the car is assembled panel by panel.

This was a rubber plug. With time and salt, it has turned into...not a rubber plug.

This is the driver's rear tower.

The infamous gas door.

The backside of the gas door and what used to be a rubber plug.

Are you ready?

Vehicles
      94 Golf
      09-07-2011 08:54 PM #67
      It's funny because it's true. If people would slow down, carry a shovel or some rugs and use snow tires, we wouldn't need as much salt as they insist on putting down. You saw my first post; this car was pristine.

Just about every nut and bolt that I removed got a shot of PB Blaster...just in case. The only studs that snapped were the ones that hold the exhaust crossmember up and that rear crossmember that bolts under the rear seat. I want to take the heater box out so I can finish scraping the front floor's tarboards, but I think I'll leave that. I'm almost tempted to do the heater core just because I've got everything taken apart. Honestly, I guess it wasn't that bad. Every fastener went in a baggie with the name, number of, and location of the part or fastener. Every plug I unplugged got labeled with masking tape and a Sharpie.

I am starting to get worried about the seams. Sometimes I run the wheel over them and they're fine, sometimes I get surface rust, but when I see brown-colored undercoat that the wheel can't reach, that means that rust is in the seams. I suppose I'll use Marine Clean, soak the joint with Metal Ready, POR the thing, seamseal the daylights out of it and hope for the best. If POR does what it says, it blocks anything, including oxygen, from contacting the metal. Does rust stop forming if it runs out of air?

Dang

If you want to get rust at the areas you can't reach, you can try Evaporust. You can get it at autozone, a bit expensive in a small jug, but the price is okay when you get a gallon or more. POR15 works as long as it has gripon the surface and enough thickness and no breaks form in the coating. Between seams, this is very hard to do because the car is going to flex at the seams. Flexed seams means cracks will form in the POR15 and thus hold water in areas that you could not cover with POR15. Then you are SOL again.

After getting the surface rust, I would put weld stitches between the seams to stop the flexing between joints. Then treat with your favorite paint and then rustproofing oil that is designed to sit in the seams and crevices. The POR15 will protect the surface and the oil will protect the seams. Apply rustproofing oil every year before winter and your 4 wheeled friend will have a very long life.

Oh BTW, the stitches will make the car harder to repair should it ever need a panel replaced because of rust or accident. Don't go too crazy. Lots of compromises here to find the perfect balance.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 golf 2.0,1968 beetle,1973 standard bug,2002 gti 1.8t
      09-07-2011 09:25 PM #68
      this is the reason why im replacing all of my floor plugs before winter hits and here is a reason why im glad my mk3 golf is from atlanta georgia (in the pic thats just dirt..no rust)

33. 09-08-2011 08:54 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by shuttle pilot View Post
      If you want to get rust at the areas you can't reach, you can try Evaporust. You can get it at autozone, a bit expensive in a small jug, but the price is okay when you get a gallon or more. POR15 works as long as it has gripon the surface and enough thickness and no breaks form in the coating. Between seams, this is very hard to do because the car is going to flex at the seams. Flexed seams means cracks will form in the POR15 and thus hold water in areas that you could not cover with POR15. Then you are SOL again.

After getting the surface rust, I would put weld stitches between the seams to stop the flexing between joints. Then treat with your favorite paint and then rustproofing oil that is designed to sit in the seams and crevices. The POR15 will protect the surface and the oil will protect the seams. Apply rustproofing oil every year before winter and your 4 wheeled friend will have a very long life.

Oh BTW, the stitches will make the car harder to repair should it ever need a panel replaced because of rust or accident. Don't go too crazy. Lots of compromises here to find the perfect balance.
      So you're saying to use POR on the panels, reachable areas and seams that haven't opened or rusted, and then use rustproofing oil in the rusty seams? So I don't seal over the rustproofing oil with anything?

Vehicles
      1997 Jetta 2.0, 2009 Tiguan 2.0T, 2003 BMW 325i, 1986 Olds 442, 1984 GMC S-15
      09-08-2011 09:51 AM #70
      Go down to a marine supply place, and buy some OSPHO. We use this at work to clean up our steel ships (that operate exclusively in salt water), and the stuff is incredible! Spray it on, and any metal that has begun to oxidize (rust) completely dissolves, leaving fresh metal.

You'll need the undercoating removed in the known rust areas (preferably ALL undercoating removed everywhere for inspection purposes) in order to properly fix the area; after a break forms in the undercoating, it holds water between the undercoating and the steel causing rot. Water in and of itself does not cause rust, it is oxygen (hence the term oxidation), but it DOES hasten the process, accelerated even more in the presence of salt (an ionic compound).

Be careful with POR-15, as it won't stick to clean metal very well. It needs rusty surfaces (of course surface that is still steel, with surface rust) in order to stick. You'll need to scuff the areas of any clean metal you have. I haven't used it, but I've heard from people who have the ZeroRust is even better than POR-15.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast