Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car wont move, grinding noise, etc...

Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 // 1999.5 Cabbie GL // 2000 Honda CR-V
      08-07-2011 05:19 AM #1
      2000 Jetta 2.0 5 Speed w/ 167,xxx miles

So I searched and everything I found pointed to an axle. I checked my axles, replaced them with good ones and still no luck...

It started last week. I started hearing a clunking noise when I turned the wheel hard. I figured it was an axle going... I pulled off my street, made it 1/4 mile from home and all of a sudden the wheels started skipping like it was skipping teeth on the gear. Finally it came to the point where the car wont move in 1st, 2nd, or Reverse. I haven't tried any others. I figure if those 3 don't work, none will work... All I hear is this horrid grinding noise that I cant explain... I'm thinking my trans is probably screwed but I wanted to put it out here to see if anyone knew the direct source of the problem... Oh and PS on a flat surface I can slowly let the clutch out and the car will creep a little but if I let it out too much the grinding kicks in and she wont move...

And a pic of the car in question for the hell of it...
      Last edited by DonsMK480; 08-07-2011 at 05:21 AM.

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta 1.8T
      08-07-2011 11:42 PM #2
      Those three gears are all on one shaft and indeed it is ground up. If you wanna know for sure drain your trans oil and it will look like glitter and chunks. Gold glitter is ok, that normal synchro wear, but silver glitter is BAD.
      Quicker than a nuns first curry.
      Quote Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
      I am DTF a DTM car.
      Yes....yes I am.

Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 // 1999.5 Cabbie GL // 2000 Honda CR-V
      08-09-2011 12:03 PM #3
      After talking to my VW mechanic yesterday he suggested my diff and ring/pinion are most likely ground down to nothing... I have someone that's gonna rebuild it for $800 and that includes removal and install of the trans.