Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1974 Type 181 THING build aka "Gus"

Vehicles
      00&01 Focus ZX3,01 Focus Wagon,00 Durango R/T, 89 Cabriolet, 77 Beetle, 70 Bus camper, 89 Fox coupe
      07-28-2012 07:27 AM #26
      Ya know Matt, you got one of the best resources right near you, the CVA guys. Tim will tell ya.

Dropping the rear is a piece of cake, I've done it multiple times.

The front though is more than just the spindles. Being a Thing, 2 of the control arms ( I forget if top or bottom ones) have the ball joint flipped around to help raise the car. So you will need to get the 2 bug control arms along with the spindles.

2. 07-28-2012 09:07 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by cfvwtuner View Post
      Ya know Matt, you got one of the best resources right near you, the CVA guys. Tim will tell ya.

Dropping the rear is a piece of cake, I've done it multiple times.

The front though is more than just the spindles. Being a Thing, 2 of the control arms ( I forget if top or bottom ones) have the ball joint flipped around to help raise the car. So you will need to get the 2 bug control arms along with the spindles.
      hey! yea im actually a member of the CVA those guys rock! dammit now i need to find those control arms...do you have any pictures? working on a tight budget and love used parts lol...thanks for the help, its just sitting a little bit to high for my liking...i heard with the rear, you need some special tools because of the tension on the beam

Vehicles
      00&01 Focus ZX3,01 Focus Wagon,00 Durango R/T, 89 Cabriolet, 77 Beetle, 70 Bus camper, 89 Fox coupe
      07-28-2012 10:07 PM #28
      I'm Chris with the green 77.

No special tools for the rear, other than a floor jack and a really expensive angle finder ($7 at home depot)
      Ive dropped the rear a few times both IRS and swing.

I think you need the lower arms, as the bug ones point twards eachother.
      Luckily all ball joint ones are the same

07-29-2012 09:58 AM #29
      Wow. Saw you were from CT but didn't really expect you to be so close until I saw that you were at the Mansfield Drive-in.

Awesome car man.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      07-29-2012 01:02 PM #30
      ...yeah i have all that stuff i'm sure somewhere in the tent and upstairs and the shop.

...make plans for terryville in aug.
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-29-2012 07:26 PM #31
      I was hoping to see the spare tire bolted onto the sloped hood.

7. 07-30-2012 02:37 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by cfvwtuner View Post
      I'm Chris with the green 77.

No special tools for the rear, other than a floor jack and a really expensive angle finder ($7 at home depot)
      Ive dropped the rear a few times both IRS and swing.

I think you need the lower arms, as the bug ones point twards eachother.
      Luckily all ball joint ones are the same
      Hey Chris thanks for the help maybe sometime this week or next week you could stop by and give me a hand? if you have time gonna put it up on jack stand tuesday after i go to a local get together. I live in Somers and my number is 860-463-7402 always nice when someone has done it before to guide you...plus i want it sitting nice for Terryville and Marks shows any help would be greatly appreciated, i supply food and beer

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Matthew View Post
      Wow. Saw you were from CT but didn't really expect you to be so close until I saw that you were at the Mansfield Drive-in.

Awesome car man.
      Thanks man means alot, yea i grew up in stafford and live in somers currently, i had such a blast at the drive-ins trying to get more aircooleds to go and make it a weekly thing, def had alot of people stopping by to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Schell R32 View Post
      ...yeah i have all that stuff i'm sure somewhere in the tent and upstairs and the shop.

...make plans for terryville in aug.
      thanks :-) do you have the said control arms for the front i would need aswell? i def want it sitting a little bit lower for terryville and for marks..dont mind paying you for what they are worth...thanks in advance

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      07-30-2012 07:42 PM #33
      yep but they need joints....i have all four.

let me know if you want em.

i have a bunch of s--t for these things as i parted out 2 to make one....wheels,doors,femders blah blah perfect for your ride but not for the customers i have..they tend to go a little over the top.
      www.401restos.com

9. 07-30-2012 09:08 PM #34
      yep but they need joints....i have all four.

let me know if you want em.

i have a bunch of s--t for these things as i parted out 2 to make one....wheels,doors,femders blah blah perfect for your ride but not for the customers i have..they tend to go a little over the top.
      thanks for helping me out, i def want them name your price and ill take those off your hands, if i need them to go low, i have to have them. i would def like to look through what you have for extra parts maybe i will take a ride out to you tomorrow i have the day off. where in Rhode Island are you? over doing it is a good thing for some cars, for me he will get there someday. I saw your boosted black beauty at Oktober Fest last year....purely amazing man great work!!! best part was when you where scraping the front when backing it up on the trailer...fast and low

10. 07-31-2012 09:07 PM #35
      little cruise with a good friend today

11. 08-01-2012 11:08 AM #36
      anyone have spare parts they are looking to let go? are there any aircooled junkyards in the area, love spedning a day at the junkyard :-)

Vehicles
      ALL VW garage. mk1 slammed CADDY, mk1 slammed JETTA, slammed THING & mk6 JETTA
      08-01-2012 03:32 PM #37
      what parts you looking for ?

13. 08-01-2012 07:20 PM #38
      bumpers, headlight trims, foglights, and anything that i can swap out with mine that might be in better shape, pretty much just like looking through parts and cars to see what i can add to mine

Vehicles
      08-01-2012 11:13 PM #39
      You won't find any jump yards with things in em..maybe a super here and there but a thing..no way.

Thing parts are hard to find...and they are hard to find for a reason...there int many left and not many were sold out here
      www.401restos.com

15. 08-02-2012 12:42 PM #40
      You won't find any jump yards with things in em..maybe a super here and there but a thing..no way.

Thing parts are hard to find...and they are hard to find for a reason...there int many left and not many were sold out here
      that makes total sense, you still have those conrtol arm for upfront that will allow me to go lower? how much? im willing to come drive out to your shop soon if you want to part with them..plus i want to check out all those thing parts you have let me know means alot

16. 08-17-2012 09:01 PM #41
      started working on lowering Gus for H20i coming up next month, does anyone have a drivers side torsion bar and spring plate from a THING i can buy? mine is fused together

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12