Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: water in passenger foot well

Vehicles
      2003 VW Passat W8 4motion sedan, 2005 VW Phaeton V8, 2010 Chevy Equinox AWD
      08-14-2011 08:05 PM #1
      It rained pretty hard tonight. I have a puddle of water in the passenger foot well. I don't know what could have caused this other than my hood cowl being cracked on the passenger side. Any ideas?

Vehicles
      a Mk2, a Mk4, a B5, and an FZJ80
      08-14-2011 08:08 PM #2
      B5 and Mk4 sunroof's are known to leak
      Gone and missed: '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray

Vehicles
      08-14-2011 08:41 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by flygliii View Post
      B5 and Mk4 sunroof's are known to leak
      Sunroof? But it was closed.. I guess the seal around the sunroof isn't working properly??

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      08-14-2011 09:37 PM #4
      The sunroof seal isn't intended to be completely water tight. There are four drains to carry away any water that makes it past; they come out in the rear fender wells and the front door jambs. The front ones most frequently clog; you can find the tubes and see if water is coming out.

It's also common for the drains under the battery in the water plenum to clog; that will put water in the footwell. Remove the battery and the tray to find one, look under the brake booster for the other.

Finally, the seal around the cain air filter (also in the water plenum) can leak.

You want to get that water out ASAP. Two of the computers that run your car are under the carpeting in the footwells.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi
      08-15-2011 09:50 PM #5
      Me too got water in the Drivers carpet, clogged sunroof drains. here is a really nice fix thread:

http://www.volksbloggin.com/2007/07/...-flowing-well/

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 06:02 PM #6
      I took a look at the "duck bill" drain that is in the passenger side door jam. It has been clipped by the previous owner. I took some weed eater line and fed it up from the "duck bill" drain. The line went all the way in. I could feed all of the line. So, I fed it from the top right side and it was clogged about 2~3 feet down. I poured some water into it... nothing came out of the door jam. I poured some water into the driver side drain, and the water poured out of the driver side "duck bill" like it was the Niagara falls. Holy Cow. I even tried to blast the clog out with the air compressor but no luck. I saw the water drip out from the underside of the car. There is this horrible smell. MOLD!!! Any ideas?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      08-17-2011 06:26 PM #7
      You may have the dreaded "disconnected drain hose". The actual VW repair technique is to try and snake it out with the core from a speedometer cable - it's just the right size and stiffness. HOWEVER, if you're not careful you can poke too hard or at the wrong angle, and disconnect the hose from the fittings. (A previous owner may already have done this) Then you have to take the "A" pillar apart to re-connect it.

Vehicles
      08-17-2011 08:15 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      You may have the dreaded "disconnected drain hose". The actual VW repair technique is to try and snake it out with the core from a speedometer cable - it's just the right size and stiffness. HOWEVER, if you're not careful you can poke too hard or at the wrong angle, and disconnect the hose from the fittings. (A previous owner may already have done this) Then you have to take the "A" pillar apart to re-connect it.
      Is there a DIY step by step instruction of how to take the "A" pillar apart to check on the disconnected hose? or should I just take it to a VW dealership? or a body shop?? The VW dealership here in my town is absolutely horrible. I have heard nothing but bad things about them. Any idea on what the cost of this repair would be from a dealership? or a body shop? I hope it doesn't rain tonight!!!

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      08-17-2011 08:48 PM #9
      I don't know of a DIY specifically, but you might want to do a search here and at PassatWorld; I've seen it discussed. I haven't faced this problem, but if your car is a later model with an airbag in the "A" pillar, I'd seriously consider letting the dealership deal with it. I have no idea what they'd charge; I'll guess they'd just see how long it takes. Otherwise, I'd just start taking it apart. The cover just pulls off, starting from the top. The clips may break (they're considered "one use"), but new clips are available at the dealer.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat GLX 4 Motion
      08-17-2011 10:30 PM #10
      The drain problems should be covered by P9 recall

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post72508755