Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Concern about 2012 Tiguan auto transmission

1. n00b
      08-15-2011 05:30 PM #1
      In a prior thread, there have been points made about how the new transmission gears and engine management affects drivability of the 2012 Tiguan.
      Of those who have driven the 2012 tiguan with auto:
      1)How is sport mode affected? Can sport mode be used to gt around the low rpm shifting to higer gear?
      2) How is the manual mode in the Tiptronic affected?
      3)Does the 2012 Tiguan lose its character because of the transmission redo?
      Thanks in advance. I'll report my findings as I am driving a 2012 tiguan tomorrow.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE, 08 Silverado, 99 A4 1.8TQM
      08-15-2011 06:03 PM #2
      Keep an ear out for the booming noise that happens around 35-40 in 6th while trying to accelerate slightly. For me, sport mode seems pretty much the same as before, and The manual mode seems the same as well. I'm starting to think that the program might actually be the same as before, but with the higher ratios in 5th and 6th gear, it really shouldn't be going into those higher gears below 40mph. The program should have a rule that if the rpm in the next gear is going to be below 1300, stay in the current gear.

Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4M - Comfortline (SE)
      08-15-2011 08:38 PM #3
      Look forward to your findings gjq.
      Current: 2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4MOTION - Comfortline (SE) White Gold with Sport Package; OEM Tiguan Front/Rear Monster Mats; OEM Tiguan Cargo Liner; Stubby Antenna

"Ever notice how people who tell you to calm down...are the ones that got you mad in the first place."

4. n00b
      08-16-2011 05:04 PM #4
      Today I drove the 2012 Tiguan with 4motion. I did notice how the auto allowed the car to "coast" on the downhills to save gas. I tried to replicate the "booming" in 6th at arpound 35 or so.
      I could if I tried to be very careful and induce he engine to be around 1250rpm and accelerate;
      but the duration of the sound was in seconds and it was gone and it was not unlike other turbos I've driven when the gear is too high(TTS,A4,A5,WRX.). Maybe there are too many hills around here to go at a constant speed, but it was tough to get the Tiguan to do it.
      I had driven a 2009 Tiguan before too and if anything, the 2012 seemed quieter.

This was not an academic question to me as I loved the 2012 Tiguan car and bought it on the spot.
      I really appreciate the solid structure of the Tiguan and driving back on the expressway, it was easy to travel at a good pace and the car easily responds and brakes like a champ.

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 08:56 PM #5
      I appreciate the input! I'm guessing that the 4 motion kept the same gearing as before to retain acceleration. Maybe this is just a FWD issue? Maybe it's just an issue for people that have driven Older Tiguans and know what to expect. Either way, Enjoy the new Tiguan!!!!

Vehicles
      08-16-2011 09:08 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by gjq View Post
      This was not an academic question to me as I loved the 2012 Tiguan car and bought it on the spot.
      Congrats on your new 2012 Tiguan . No hesitation in your move .

All the best!
      Current: 2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4MOTION - Comfortline (SE) White Gold with Sport Package; OEM Tiguan Front/Rear Monster Mats; OEM Tiguan Cargo Liner; Stubby Antenna

"Ever notice how people who tell you to calm down...are the ones that got you mad in the first place."

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan / 00 GTI VR6 / 89 GTI & Jetta
      09-09-2011 01:32 AM #7
      We just brought home a new Tiguan 2012 Automatic and when we are in Drive (D) and going about 26-30 mph the transmission stays in a high gear (5th) and makes a vibrating hum.

It happens on a flat road when someone is in front of us and forces us to stay in the 26-30mph range.

It feels like it wont drop back to 4th at this speed and is overloaded in 5th. When we give it some gas it will either hum and lag even more or downshift and lunge forward like we floored it.

Tiptronic and Sport seem fine but Drive does not feel normal in this range.

When we took back to dealer at 130 miles on the odometer, the tech sat in on the drive and experienced the symptom. His conclusion was that the car is in its "Adaptive Learning" phase and it should work itself out after about 600+ miles.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS THE TECH GUY B.S.?
      IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO AT THIS POINT TO GET THE CAR TO DRIVE BETTER? I AM FOR SURE TAKING IT BACK AFTER 600 MILES IF IT DOESN'T GO AWAY

PLEASE COMMENT THANK YOU

Vehicles
      2009TiguanHighline
      09-09-2011 08:34 AM #8
      I also was told this by my dealer!
      I can't prove anything technicaly but for sure it will be better in time and millage.
      This nice piece of technology is quite complex, let it blend in your driving style. Be patient!
      My recommendation only!

Vehicles
      09-09-2011 11:07 AM #9
      +1 Yes, be patient.

Vehicles
      09-09-2011 01:06 PM #10
      Just a little disappointed in it.

We'll try to be more patient.

Eerything else about the car is great tho

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      09-09-2011 01:51 PM #11
      We now have three threads, 2 here and one in the auto trans forum on this subject. Let's agree on which one to follow. i don't want to keep 3 up to date.

Ryan if you are reading this, respond back in the Tig forum with your coding. i am sure to forget to read the other forum.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-09-2011 06:45 PM #12
      Coding on the 2010 is 0....0840.

Vehicles
      09-10-2011 02:23 PM #13
      Ryam Mills, gjq

When you guys talk about "Booming", is that the same as the vibrational hum from being in too high of a gear and low rpm?

Is that a transmission issue(poor ranging of gears for mpg)
      or
      Is it a turbo issue(not enough flow in the system to run the turbo)

Thanks,
      BTW I don't know much aboout the whole turbo process.

Vehicles
      2000 TDI NB, 2011 Touareg TDI Campanella White, Sport package, Hitch, Pano Roof
      09-10-2011 06:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by hawaiivr6 View Post
      WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS THE TECH GUY B.S.?
      IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO AT THIS POINT TO GET THE CAR TO DRIVE BETTER? I AM FOR SURE TAKING IT BACK AFTER 600 MILES IF IT DOESN'T GO AWAY

PLEASE COMMENT THANK YOU
      he's right it's the adaptive, but most likely you've driven it too softely and it's learned to lug already, the easiest way to fix is just reset the throttle adaptation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcjsxJTAEY
      this video shows you what to do, it works for all vw models the same way. Give it a shot..

Vehicles
      09-12-2011 09:57 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by VolksTrooper View Post
      he's right it's the adaptive, but most likely you've driven it too softely and it's learned to lug already, the easiest way to fix is just reset the throttle adaptation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcjsxJTAEY
      this video shows you what to do, it works for all vw models the same way. Give it a shot..
      Thanks, It has been doing this from day 1 and I took it in at 130miles so it is not a result of our driving too softly. We have been driving it in a manner that when ever it tries to go stay in the higher gears we give it gas to get it back down. Unfortunately this makes for some annoying driving because we have to slow down after getting into the lower gear and then the whole process repeates itself. This is due to the 30 mph road we drive alot. I'm hoping the computer recognizes this or I'm taking it back after a couple weeks if no change is noticed.

16. 09-17-2011 08:18 AM #16
      I drove a UK 2011 Tiguan TDI 4motion with 7 speed DSG. What a great drive. I didn't notice any problems. It was so smooth, quick and quiet. The only time I felt it change gear is when it was in 4th and I stopped quickly, testing the brakes to a full stop. I then floored it. I felt it change into 1st, otherwise it was seamless. It did change up very quickly, but would change back down if you accelerated fairly firmly.

Also the new 2012 has start stop blue-motion tech as standard, previously it was only available on the manual transmission. So fuel economy is up if you drive in traffic a lot.

I also test drove the new Range Rover Evoque Diesel 6 speed auto and the Tiguan was way smoother and didn't seem to chase gears as the Evoque did a couple of times. The Evoque made me feel quite sick, never had the problem before when driving anything, it was a bone shaker (not magneride). The Tiguan was not as sporty, but smooth better visibility and more comfortable with a higher driving position. The trunk was bigger and deeper too.

The 2012 seemed nicer than the older models, not sure why exactly but I'm buying a new Tiggy even with a 22 week wait.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09-17-2011 10:12 AM #17
      Welcome to the board unitedflyier. Unfortunately, your experience cannot be compared to the transmission issue described here. In EU, the DSG transmission is prevalent. Over here in NA we only get the regular automatic transmission. They are completely different technologies with different behaviours.

Vehicles
      '12 Tiguan SE
      09-21-2011 08:10 AM #18
      Thanks, It has been doing this from day 1 and I took it in at 130miles so it is not a result of our driving too softly. We have been driving it in a manner that when ever it tries to go stay in the higher gears we give it gas to get it back down. Unfortunately this makes for some annoying driving because we have to slow down after getting into the lower gear and then the whole process repeates itself. This is due to the 30 mph road we drive alot. I'm hoping the computer recognizes this or I'm taking it back after a couple weeks if no change is noticed.
      I feel your pain my friend. I experience this same issue. I just took my first road trip from Atlanta to New Orleans last weekend and the Tiguan still did this. My Tig now has 1500 miles on it after the trip. I would like to know how long it takes this "adaptive transmission" technology to learn your "driving style". My style is I don't beat on my cars and I use the Tig's power for passing and merging. Also I believe my new Tig is leaking a small amount of oil after our road trip. I am monitoring this.

I honestly believe this is an computer issue dealing with how the tranny shifts gears or its attempts to save gas.
      2012 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle - GONE

2012 Tiguan SE - Stock

19. 09-21-2011 09:42 AM #19
      It will never adapt. This is a design for fuel economy that reduces the torque converters lock up. It either shoots for the max gear attainable for given speed to reduce rpm or disengages.

So, if you are cruising at nearly any given speed, it will try to get to 6th. If you momentarily let off the gas it will disengage the torque converter to "freewheel". Once you press on the gas again, the first delay is re engaging the torque converter. That takes a long enough delay that you will instinctively press more on the gas.
      This in turn changes the drive by wire throttle position and causes the program to shift down 1-2 "gears" as the torque converter is in mid re engagement causing the unintended lurch.

Same thing happens from a stop or a "short stop. Such as a yield. Just as you are releasing the brake to accelerate the Torque converter releases, and as you press the gas it has to re engage=delay.
      This particular scenario has nearly gotten me struck by approaching cars while merging in heavy fast moving traffic!

Manual mode does defeat this gas saving feature, sport mode reduces it.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-21-2011 09:16 PM #20
      i have to challenge your evaluation of the situation. Disengaging the lockup at speed will actually use more fuel as the engine needs to stay running. With the torque converter locked up, when you coast, the drivetrain keeps the engine turning and the injectors are turned off. It has been like this on all fuel injected engines since the dawn of time. On a standard when you coast, the same applies. If you disengage the clutch the injectors come back online to keep the engine running.

i do believe that there is a real problem here. There is no doubt about that. Gut say in 6-9 months form now, if enough of you 2012 owners bitch loud enough, there will be a TSB and a new program available. Keep up the pressure on VW. Call head office, write letters, be polite but relentless.

21. 09-22-2011 10:59 AM #21
      Once it disegages it goes to idle which does save gas as intended. If it stayed engaged it would coast at current rpm and slowly reduce rpm as speed decreased. As a manual will. As soon as you let off the gas it drops to idle and it disengages.
      I have had several conversations with well trained auto box mechanics over this due to the dealers only response as being "no faults detected".
      I did not just make this up.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      09-22-2011 05:14 PM #22
      I do not think you made this up, but I am astounded that the engine goes to idle while you are at speed and coasting. It goes against normal practices. I was challenging your observations, but I can see that you have indeed evaluated the situation correctly. I too don't buy that this is supposed to be normal behaviour.

23. 09-29-2011 04:22 PM #23
      Ryam Mills, gjq

When you guys talk about "Booming", is that the same as the vibrational hum from being in too high of a gear and low rpm?

Is that a transmission issue(poor ranging of gears for mpg)
      or
      Is it a turbo issue(not enough flow in the system to run the turbo)

Thanks,
      BTW I don't know much aboout the whole turbo process.
      I'd also like to know what the meaning of boom is. When I think of a "boom" I think of thunder or an explosion.

I heard some kind of sub-noise while I was driving at low speeds from time to time. It was kind of bass-y and more in the family of an effect, the way flanging is an effect.

Vehicles
      09-29-2011 05:01 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabel View Post
      I'd also like to know what the meaning of boom is. When I think of a "boom" I think of thunder or an explosion.

I heard some kind of sub-noise while I was driving at low speeds from time to time. It was kind of bass-y and more in the family of an effect, the way flanging is an effect.
      I think we're all talking about the same thing. "Booming" = "Loud, deep, and resonant sound", which to me is correct. I, like you, just tend to associate the term with explosiveness which is not always the case.

My Tiguan will stay in this this limbo(Booming) at 28mph for as long as I let it by lightly maintaining its speed.
      At the same speed in Sport it will stay in 3rd and rev to high
      At the same speed in Tiptronic it will be comfortable in 4th
      and if I try to upshift in Tiptronic to 5th it wont allow it cause the speed is too slow. You would think same parameters would govern Drive, but NO, shift back to drive and it will go right into 5th and start booming. F'n Annoying.

I think that "D" stands for Dumb not Drive.

I wonder if all Tiguans are doing this as bad as mine?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 05:06 PM #25
      I tell you, start calling VW head office and lodging complaints. Don't wait for the next guy, pick up the phone and call now. Operators are standing by. (always wanted to use that in a post). Seriously, if they don't know, they won't fix.

Vehicles
      09-29-2011 05:54 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
      I tell you, start calling VW head office and lodging complaints. Don't wait for the next guy, pick up the phone and call now. Operators are standing by. (always wanted to use that in a post). Seriously, if they don't know, they won't fix.
      I just called VW and they said I have to go throught the dealer first.
      I said what if the dealer cannot help me? The operator said I can file a complaint.
      I asked, A complaint about the problem or the dealer? She said it would be a complaint about the dealer.

Do you know a specific route I should take to get VW acknowledging this problem?
      I'm still waiting on adding more mileage on before taking back the dealer. I took it in at 130 miles and they said drive it longer so the car can adjust and then bring it back if there is stll a problem.....

Thanks

27. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 06:58 PM #27
      Hopefully someone who knows the workings of VWOA will respond. VW Canada, when I called once was not so obtuse.

02-02-2012 10:21 PM #28
      To bump this thread and to provide a link for your complaints. Go to the following VW link and describe how disappointed you are with the automatic transmission of the 2012 Tiguan. The more complaints the more likely it is that VW will address this problem:

http://web.vw.com/templates/Service?...e=customercare

02-03-2012 11:57 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by reneestan View Post
      I was wondering if your tiguan is a FWD. It seems all the transmissions complaints are coming from FWD owners. I too am having the same problems with short shifting and loud bass type noise and lugging when the short shifting to the highest gear at under 40 mphs.
      I have a FWD and have this issue. Anyone with 4-motion having the problem as well?

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      02-04-2012 10:57 AM #30
      Yup...4Motion and around 25-30MPH sounds like engine is lugging because of it being in a higher gear...does not appear to be coasting! I have 2000 miles on mine...I will mention to dealer on my 1st service...does not seem right thou...

Brad

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      02-04-2012 04:11 PM #31
      Ok, everyone who is complaining about transmissions must "train" it first. These transmissions are just like in Audi's when in D will adapt to your driving style, in S it will not and has a set program. To make your tranny shift great and crisp in D you must do the following for the next 300 + miles; From complete stop or during coasting accelerate fast for a few seconds and let go. Repeat that as much as possible in the next 300 + miles or so (when safe to do so of course) . Your car will adapt to the style and will give you power when you need it. If your car ever goes trough a computer reset you'll have to do the training again. Good Luck and be safe!

02-04-2012 10:53 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Ok, everyone who is complaining about transmissions must "train" it first. These transmissions are just like in Audi's when in D will adapt to your driving style, in S it will not and has a set program. To make your tranny shift great and crisp in D you must do the following for the next 300 + miles; From complete stop or during coasting accelerate fast for a few seconds and let go. Repeat that as much as possible in the next 300 + miles or so (when safe to do so of course) . Your car will adapt to the style and will give you power when you need it. If your car ever goes trough a computer reset you'll have to do the training again. Good Luck and be safe!
      I have the same transmission in my 08 Passat and did not have to do this. It shifted and still shifts very smoothly. On the other hand, my wife's 12 Tiguan cannot be "trained" at all. It is already at 2500 miles.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4 Motion SEL w/Prem Nav/Dynaudio Pepper Grey/Beige; 2014 EOS Komfort Candy White/Beige
      02-05-2012 08:10 AM #33
      VW may be starting to get some heat on this. USAToday published their Tiguan review in Friday's edition and they pointed out the transmission woes. Bad reviews in widely read publications like that will quickly rise to the top of the brand manager's attention.

Vehicles
      02-05-2012 12:03 PM #34
      thank god. I've been looking for ways to unload this piece asap.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW TIGUAN SE FWD
      02-06-2012 12:52 PM #35
      Thats sad. I have a 2009 Tigaun SE FWD. and with the APR Stage 2 ECU I can easily get 30mpg High way and 24 to 26 in town. Granted the in town is really light pedal use but its still doable. I love the Tig My last long trip was to Wisconsin from Southern Indiana and I averaged 33 mpg at 70 mph. Not bad for this little SUV.
      2009 VW SAPPHIRE BLUE TIGUAN SE
      APR CARBONIO INTAKE, APR STAGE II (LOADED), H&R SPORT SPRINGS
      AWE T.O.P PIPE, NEUSPEED CHARGE PIPE, TECHTONIC 2.5" TEST PIPE
      ....MORE TO COME

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast