Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Results 246 to 280 of 444

    Thread: Concern about 2012 Tiguan auto transmission

    1. 04-04-2012 10:28 PM #246
      I love the new Tig but have driven 2 and had the same problem with both. I'd love to pick up one of these. I'm about to place an order for a X3 or Q5 but would prefer to save some money. Please update us when the mod is applied.

    2. 04-05-2012 08:36 AM #247
      Booked an appointment next monday for an update. The dealer said that they can not do it themselves, so they have to get the car in, and hook up "wirelessly" with the technical line of VW canada and they will do the flash. I was also warned that this won't completely fix the problem but will make it better. Let's see how it goes. Will report back.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2001
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      12,869
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      04-05-2012 09:15 AM #248
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      Booked an appointment next monday for an update. The dealer said that they can not do it themselves, so they have to get the car in, and hook up "wirelessly" with the technical line of VW canada and they will do the flash. I was also warned that this won't completely fix the problem but will make it better. Let's see how it goes. Will report back.
      Likely because of the already posted fuel efficiency numbers.
      This program will be a compromise, but hopefully better than nothing!
      Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.


      Fun
      Not as fun

    4. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-05-2012 10:23 AM #249
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      Booked an appointment next monday for an update. The dealer said that they can not do it themselves, so they have to get the car in, and hook up "wirelessly" with the technical line of VW canada and they will do the flash. I was also warned that this won't completely fix the problem but will make it better. Let's see how it goes. Will report back.
      Looks like they do not want us to give high expectations. One reason could be that this transmission has a second overdrive and simply reprogramming might not be a complete remedy.

      Please keep us posted after you get the update.

    5. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-05-2012 01:41 PM #250
      Based on the info we have from VW of Canada, I asked VW of America if there is a time estimate for the transmission update for U.S. customers. Here is the info I got:

      Dear Mr. T:

      Thank you for your e-mail reply.

      I understand Volkswagen of Canada has provided you with details regarding a possible upcoming transmission update for the Tiguan. I regret information such as the details Volkswagen of Canada provided to you is not made available to the Volkswagen of America’s Customer CARE Center.

      As stated in my previous e-mail, we are aware that Volkswagen is working on an adjustment for the transmission. When additional details are available they will be provided to our dealers. I encourage you to remain in contact with your local Volkswagen dealer.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2001
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      12,869
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      04-05-2012 01:54 PM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Based on the info we have from VW of Canada, I asked VW of America if there is a time estimate for the transmission update for U.S. customers. Here is the info I got:
      LOL she/he basically told you to stop emailing him/her.
      Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.


      Fun
      Not as fun

    7. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-05-2012 02:13 PM #252
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      LOL she/he basically told you to stop emailing him/her.
      Nope, that's standard VW of America Customer Care message. She is very kind and always replies.

    8. Member saabdrvr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2008
      Location
      Lacey, WA
      Posts
      852
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf MKVI TDI & 2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      04-06-2012 07:29 PM #253
      Dear (My name):

      We recognize that shifting into sixth gear is a concernthat customers have stated. Ourengineers are currently testing a reprogramming of the software. Your local VW dealership will know if andwhen an update becomes available.

      If you have any additional questions or comments, pleasecontact my colleagues at VW Customer CARE at 1-800-822-8987.

      Thanks for visiting us again!

      (Chat Attendant's Name)
      VW Chat
      Former Vehicles: 1983 Saab 900S, 1997 Saab 9000, 2002 Saab 9-5, 2001 NB TDI, 2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro, 2006 Jetta, 2008 EOS LUX, 2009 Rabbit & Passat, 2010 EOS LUX

      Spouses Car: 2012 Tiguan SEL 4Mo
      Daughters Cars: 2012 Tiguan SE 4Mo/Roof/Nav x 2, 2012 Golf

    9. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Idaho
      Posts
      17
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE
      04-06-2012 07:58 PM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by saabdrvr View Post
      Dear (My name):

      We recognize that shifting into sixth gear is a concernthat customers have stated. Ourengineers are currently testing a reprogramming of the software. Your local VW dealership will know if andwhen an update becomes available.

      If you have any additional questions or comments, pleasecontact my colleagues at VW Customer CARE at 1-800-822-8987.

      Thanks for visiting us again!

      (Chat Attendant's Name)
      VW Chat

      I can't help but think that the update must be imminent otherwise they wouldn't be advertising it so much.
      2012 Tiguan SE

    10. Member saabdrvr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2008
      Location
      Lacey, WA
      Posts
      852
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf MKVI TDI & 2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      04-06-2012 09:06 PM #255
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCooks View Post
      I can't help but think that the update must be imminent otherwise they wouldn't be advertising it so much.
      Their first response was for me to check with the dealer; I had to push to get this response... and note that this subsequent response indicates "if and when..."
      Former Vehicles: 1983 Saab 900S, 1997 Saab 9000, 2002 Saab 9-5, 2001 NB TDI, 2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro, 2006 Jetta, 2008 EOS LUX, 2009 Rabbit & Passat, 2010 EOS LUX

      Spouses Car: 2012 Tiguan SEL 4Mo
      Daughters Cars: 2012 Tiguan SE 4Mo/Roof/Nav x 2, 2012 Golf

    11. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-07-2012 12:54 AM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by saabdrvr View Post
      Their first response was for me to check with the dealer; I had to push to get this response... and note that this subsequent response indicates "if and when..."
      Given that owners in Canada are getting the update already, I believe we in the U.S. should get the update very soon as well.

    12. Member saabdrvr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2008
      Location
      Lacey, WA
      Posts
      852
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf MKVI TDI & 2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      04-07-2012 01:51 AM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Given that owners in Canada are getting the update already, I believe we in the U.S. should get the update very soon as well.
      I hope so, but one never knows given different federal regulations and statutes between the two countries.
      Former Vehicles: 1983 Saab 900S, 1997 Saab 9000, 2002 Saab 9-5, 2001 NB TDI, 2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro, 2006 Jetta, 2008 EOS LUX, 2009 Rabbit & Passat, 2010 EOS LUX

      Spouses Car: 2012 Tiguan SEL 4Mo
      Daughters Cars: 2012 Tiguan SE 4Mo/Roof/Nav x 2, 2012 Golf

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-07-2012 06:12 PM #258
      Has anyone in Canada actually received the update and if so have they reported in to this forum as to how close it is to fixing the problem or just a "bandaid"?

      I haven't seen anyone report in...anybody else??

      Brad

    14. Member artronics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2012
      Location
      Toronto, (NOT the capital of) Canada
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      04-08-2012 01:14 PM #259
      Nope. My dealer doesn't "know" of any fix and they're asking where I got the information from. Bummer.

    15. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-08-2012 10:45 PM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      Booked an appointment next monday for an update. The dealer said that they can not do it themselves, so they have to get the car in, and hook up "wirelessly" with the technical line of VW canada and they will do the flash. I was also warned that this won't completely fix the problem but will make it better. Let's see how it goes. Will report back.
      Looks like you will the first one in Canada to receive the update

      Please keep us posted how it goes.

    16. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,161
      04-09-2012 11:20 AM #261
      i wonder, when if this option should become available in the USA, if this will be a mandatory update that they will sneak into one of your service intervals or if VW will give you the option to:

      1. try it out and if you like it, nothing else to do

      2. try it out and if you don't like it, switch back to original programming at no cost
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    17. 04-10-2012 03:19 PM #262
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Looks like you will the first one in Canada to receive the update

      Please keep us posted how it goes.
      Wow, haven't been the first one for anything for a long time.

      Sent in to dealer today as opposed yesterday and just got a call saying the update is done. I was told that the update "change shift pattern slightly", but I was warned that it will still go to gear 6 at lower speed, so I'm not really holding my breath on this update. It appears that VW just try to react to the public outcry but is only willing to go a small step. Will pick up my car after work and update this thread. I also send an email to VW to ask them what exactly this software do.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-10-2012 05:01 PM #263
      Thanks in advance for the update tranny s/w qualification/ review

      Brad

    19. 04-10-2012 10:03 PM #264
      So I got a letter from Acura about my wife's MDX. It has an issue where it can stall because it fails to downshift. They told me to come in ASAP to apply the update and be prepared to leave the car for half a day. I guess VW is not the only one. The Acura software update covers 2 years if I remember correctly so I guess they finally realized there is a problem. Wish VW would.

    20. 04-10-2012 10:32 PM #265
      Picked up the Tiguan this afternoon and only have about 10 minutes drive from dealer to my home. And am I surprised ! It's only a very short drive so it may not be long enough but I am very impressed with the update. This path is the problematic one as I have to drive at 60 km/h and 40 km/h limit. The vibration feels a lot better ! When drive around 60 km/h, it seems that the gear choice is now 5 instead of 6 (switch to tiptronic to see). Again this is short so need to test drive more to conclude. Also it seems that the RPM at which the gear switch is a little different (higher if I'm not mistaken). At situation when I have to stop pressing gas paddle in the middle of acceleration to follow traffic the vibration definitely improves, and I have not observed one case of vibration when turning at low speed which is quite repeatable before.

      I will report back after I drive a bit more. Take my words with a grain of salt as I'm not really a car guy.

    21. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-11-2012 10:51 AM #266
      Quote Originally Posted by donmarrow View Post
      So I got a letter from Acura about my wife's MDX. It has an issue where it can stall because it fails to downshift. They told me to come in ASAP to apply the update and be prepared to leave the car for half a day. I guess VW is not the only one. The Acura software update covers 2 years if I remember correctly so I guess they finally realized there is a problem. Wish VW would.
      Looks like VW of America realized the problem but they need to sort out how to solve this with the EPA ratings on mind. At least we know now that VW of Canada released an update. So fingers crossed that we get an update soon.

    22. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-11-2012 10:55 AM #267
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      Picked up the Tiguan this afternoon and only have about 10 minutes drive from dealer to my home. And am I surprised ! It's only a very short drive so it may not be long enough but I am very impressed with the update. This path is the problematic one as I have to drive at 60 km/h and 40 km/h limit. The vibration feels a lot better ! When drive around 60 km/h, it seems that the gear choice is now 5 instead of 6 (switch to tiptronic to see). Again this is short so need to test drive more to conclude. Also it seems that the RPM at which the gear switch is a little different (higher if I'm not mistaken). At situation when I have to stop pressing gas paddle in the middle of acceleration to follow traffic the vibration definitely improves, and I have not observed one case of vibration when turning at low speed which is quite repeatable before.

      I will report back after I drive a bit more. Take my words with a grain of salt as I'm not really a car guy.
      Cool! Looks like even if it does not solve the problem completely, it is a step in the right direction.

      Thanks for keeping us updated. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the new update.

    23. 04-11-2012 11:19 AM #268
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Cool! Looks like even if it does not solve the problem completely, it is a step in the right direction.

      Thanks for keeping us updated. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the new update.
      your welcome.

      Did a few 20 minutes drive this morning as I run around to do some stuff. What I conclude so far is that the vibration is definitely much better. It also seems that the car now are more willing to shift to lower gear when needed, and the hesitation I felt before is almost gone. Specifically when one accelerate and then need to de-accelerate or facing a slight uphill, transmission behaves a lot smoother than before.

      On some 60km/h stretch I still feel a bit vibration but it's much tolerable. I also confirmed in a few cases that the gear selected is 5 instead of 6 at 60km/h, and for one 40km/h stretch I see gear 4. Again I never had one bad vibration at low speed turn this morning which is bound to happen before.

      Overall I felt that the shift is a lot smoother and it does fix the vibration to a great extent. I'm happy with the change and has no desire to pursue this any further.

      Hope this helps.

    24. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-11-2012 11:35 AM #269
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      your welcome.

      Did a few 20 minutes drive this morning as I run around to do some stuff. What I conclude so far is that the vibration is definitely much better. It also seems that the car now are more willing to shift to lower gear when needed, and the hesitation I felt before is almost gone. Specifically when one accelerate and then need to de-accelerate or facing a slight uphill, transmission behaves a lot smoother than before.

      On some 60km/h stretch I still feel a bit vibration but it's much tolerable. I also confirmed in a few cases that the gear selected is 5 instead of 6 at 60km/h, and for one 40km/h stretch I see gear 4. Again I never had one bad vibration at low speed turn this morning which is bound to happen before.

      Overall I felt that the shift is a lot smoother and it does fix the vibration to a great extent. I'm happy with the change and has no desire to pursue this any further.

      Hope this helps.
      Great to hear that this works out; thanks again for your feedback.

      Looks like we need to check with VW of America regarding the status of the update for US customers.

    25. Member garethusa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2003
      Location
      dc/va/md
      Posts
      2,161
      04-11-2012 11:57 AM #270
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      your welcome.

      Did a few 20 minutes drive this morning as I run around to do some stuff. What I conclude so far is that the vibration is definitely much better. It also seems that the car now are more willing to shift to lower gear when needed, and the hesitation I felt before is almost gone. Specifically when one accelerate and then need to de-accelerate or facing a slight uphill, transmission behaves a lot smoother than before.

      On some 60km/h stretch I still feel a bit vibration but it's much tolerable. I also confirmed in a few cases that the gear selected is 5 instead of 6 at 60km/h, and for one 40km/h stretch I see gear 4. Again I never had one bad vibration at low speed turn this morning which is bound to happen before.

      Overall I felt that the shift is a lot smoother and it does fix the vibration to a great extent. I'm happy with the change and has no desire to pursue this any further.

      Hope this helps.
      awesome d960!

      it would be great to also see how this may or may not have affected your overall mgp.

      enjoy and happy driving!
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-11-2012 02:20 PM #271
      Thanks for the update...sounds like a good improvement to the shifting pattern at low speed...now if we could just get it down here!!

    27. Member hawaiivr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2008
      Location
      Hawaii, Kailua
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan / 00 GTI VR6 / 89 GTI & Jetta
      04-11-2012 02:54 PM #272
      d960 you are the bearer of great news!

      I recently followed up with VoA and got this reply;

      " I wanted to let you know that we have been made aware of this concern. We understand the need for our owners to enjoy every aspect of their ownership, and at this time, we are working on an update to help improve upon the shift programming. Because our dealerships will be the first to receive news of this update, I encourage you to stay in contact with your dealer for the most recent information about a possible update in this matter."

      I'm calling my dealer today to make sure I am notified when we get the fix.

      "Many hands make light work"
      Congratulations to everyone who kept pressing VW for a response to this issue.
      I hope it doesn't take that long to get to my dealer!

      Aloha

    28. Member artronics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2012
      Location
      Toronto, (NOT the capital of) Canada
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      04-11-2012 03:14 PM #273
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      Overall I felt that the shift is a lot smoother and it does fix the vibration to a great extent. I'm happy with the change and has no desire to pursue this any further.

      Hope this helps.
      Bro, if you happen to read this post on Wednesday, please respond back, as I am taking mine in tomorrow.
      What did they do to it? Do you have any reference as to what fix they applied? Anything I can tell them? My west end dealership seems unaware of this fix. And I believe you are in Ajax, right?

      Thank you very much and congrats on getting it sorted out.

    29. Member vw_nc_dude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,015
      04-11-2012 03:18 PM #274
      Quote Originally Posted by hawaiivr6 View Post
      d960 you are the bearer of great news!

      I recently followed up with VoA and got this reply;

      " I wanted to let you know that we have been made aware of this concern. We understand the need for our owners to enjoy every aspect of their ownership, and at this time, we are working on an update to help improve upon the shift programming. Because our dealerships will be the first to receive news of this update, I encourage you to stay in contact with your dealer for the most recent information about a possible update in this matter."

      I'm calling my dealer today to make sure I am notified when we get the fix.

      "Many hands make light work"
      Congratulations to everyone who kept pressing VW for a response to this issue.
      I hope it doesn't take that long to get to my dealer!

      Aloha
      Thanks hawaiivr6. I got a similar message from VoA. My dealer is a little bit slow with these updates. Would highly appreciate if you let us know once you hear back from your dealer.

      Thanks again to everyone!

    30. Member artronics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2012
      Location
      Toronto, (NOT the capital of) Canada
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      04-11-2012 03:21 PM #275
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Thanks again to everyone!
      Ditto.

      This is awesome team work and finally the Internet proves to be useful in some small way...

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2012
      Location
      Eastern Mass
      Posts
      132
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-11-2012 03:47 PM #276
      Follow-up email just now sent off to VWoA CC (Matt) asking about the tranny shift update becoming available in Canada and if he could give me any info on when we in the US, would be receiving this update...

      When I know anything, I'll report in here...

    32. 04-11-2012 03:59 PM #277
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Great to hear that this works out; thanks again for your feedback.

      Looks like we need to check with VW of America regarding the status of the update for US customers.
      Good luck. I'm sure it will come in no time.

      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      awesome d960!

      it would be great to also see how this may or may not have affected your overall mgp.

      enjoy and happy driving!
      Yes I will be doing some mpg calculation but since the car is so new I have not accumulated enough data to compare against. As of now it is not of concern even if mpg suffered a bit.

    33. Member hawaiivr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2008
      Location
      Hawaii, Kailua
      Posts
      105
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan / 00 GTI VR6 / 89 GTI & Jetta
      04-11-2012 04:02 PM #278
      d960 how did you find out about the fix? From an Email? Did they ever issue a letter in Canada?


      I called my dealer and VW customer care and it appears that we just have to wait until we get a recall/campaign letter.

      Who ever in America gets any info, a letter, a call, or whatever, Please let everyone else know about it.


      Apparently there is know way to know until they release the letter.

    34. 04-11-2012 04:02 PM #279
      Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      Bro, if you happen to read this post on Wednesday, please respond back, as I am taking mine in tomorrow.
      What did they do to it? Do you have any reference as to what fix they applied? Anything I can tell them? My west end dealership seems unaware of this fix. And I believe you are in Ajax, right?

      Thank you very much and congrats on getting it sorted out.
      I'm in Ottawa actually.

      For anyone in Ontario at least, you should call your dealer about this fix. The software update has not been issued as a TSB so if you want to get it sooner, you have to ask your dealer to call technical line of VW canada to get this update. That's how I get mine done. I would not take a "no" as an answer as this has been done in my case.

    35. 04-11-2012 04:05 PM #280
      Quote Originally Posted by hawaiivr6 View Post
      d960 how did you find out about the fix? From an Email? Did they ever issue a letter in Canada?


      I called my dealer and VW customer care and it appears that we just have to wait until we get a recall/campaign letter.

      Who ever in America gets any info, a letter, a call, or whatever, Please let everyone else know about it.


      Apparently there is know way to know until they release the letter.
      I got an email from a service manager of VW canada, the same manager another user here also contacted. You can find her contact (email/phone) a few pages back, see here:

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post76619983

    Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •