Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Concern about 2012 Tiguan auto transmission

04-13-2012 10:50 AM #301
      Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      Drove it this morning and it feels right. It shifts properly, just like I would. Awesome deal. And it might have been the lighter traffic this morning, but mileage seemed better. I don't know if it's my wishful thinking, but it is possible that lugging the engine could have caused it to burn more.
      No more 6th at 50 Km/h. Woo hoo!!!
      Wow, so jealous now

I really hope that we get the update here soon. I shot a message to my dealer today and will report if I hear back.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      04-13-2012 11:04 AM #302
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Wow, so jealous now

I really hope that we get the update here soon. I shot a message to my dealer today and will report if I hear back.
      Just like my goomba said in a post above, you have to tell them to contact the tech center for the update. Apparently, they remote into your car and do whatever, it's not the dealer/service dept. that applies the fix.

04-13-2012 11:07 AM #303
      Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      Just like my goomba said in a post above, you have to tell them to contact the tech center for the update. Apparently, they remote into your car and do whatever, it's not the dealer/service dept. that applies the fix.
      Don't know if they are willing to (or can) do the "Techline Connection" here in the US. I asked my dealer about it. Let's see how he responds.

Vehicles
      2004 GLI VR6, 2012 Tiguan
      04-13-2012 11:40 AM #304
      Very interested to see if we ever get this in the US. My husband has driven the Tig enough that he now notices the early up shift too.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-13-2012 08:42 PM #305
      I sent VWoA an email yesterday and they replied today...see below...its all good!

Dear Mr. Hyder:

Thank you for your e-mail addressed to my colleague. I understand you are inquiring about a transmission software update, and it is my pleasure to assist you in any way possible.

I confirmed internally within Volkswagen that our engineers are aware of the dissatisfaction some of our customers are having with the performance of the transmission for the 2012 Tiguan. Though I do not have a release date, I understand Volkswagen is currently working on an adjustment that addresses this concern and allows the Tiguan to still comply with Federal emission standards.

I regret our Customer CARE Center does not have access to vehicle updates. Once an update becomes available, the information is immediately provided to our dealerships, as they are at the forefront of assisting our customers with vehicle concerns. Because of this, I’d like to encourage you to keep in contact with your dealership as they will have the most up-to-date information regarding any adjustments or software updates for your SUV.

Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and we take your concerns seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you, especially so early in your ownership. Please be assured I have documented your inquiry about this situation, so we may have a record of it.

If I can be of further assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. Our website, www.vw.com, has a dealer locate tool on the Home page. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Courtney F.
      Customer CARE Advocate

So I now believe this update is imminent...keep the faith!

Brad

04-13-2012 09:43 PM #306
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      I sent VWoA an email yesterday and they replied today...see below...its all good!

Dear Mr. Hyder:

Thank you for your e-mail addressed to my colleague. I understand you are inquiring about a transmission software update, and it is my pleasure to assist you in any way possible.

I confirmed internally within Volkswagen that our engineers are aware of the dissatisfaction some of our customers are having with the performance of the transmission for the 2012 Tiguan. Though I do not have a release date, I understand Volkswagen is currently working on an adjustment that addresses this concern and allows the Tiguan to still comply with Federal emission standards.

I regret our Customer CARE Center does not have access to vehicle updates. Once an update becomes available, the information is immediately provided to our dealerships, as they are at the forefront of assisting our customers with vehicle concerns. Because of this, I’d like to encourage you to keep in contact with your dealership as they will have the most up-to-date information regarding any adjustments or software updates for your SUV.

Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and we take your concerns seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you, especially so early in your ownership. Please be assured I have documented your inquiry about this situation, so we may have a record of it.

If I can be of further assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. Our website, www.vw.com, has a dealer locate tool on the Home page. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Courtney F.
      Customer CARE Advocate

So I now believe this update is imminent...keep the faith!

Brad
      This is the same response that I got from VW of America as well. Fingers crossed that we have this update some time soon.

Did not hear back from my dealer today but expect something hopefully tomorrow or Monday. Will report if I hear anything new.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      04-14-2012 06:47 PM #307
      Picked up the tig today.
      Transmission feels amazing, completely different experience from the test drive. Shift point seem to be perfect for cruising and city driving. There was no lag, no surging, no groans or unusual resonance, and the car was happy to downshift without having to thrash the gas.

Very happy!

After two black GTIs, I'm looking forward to silver!

2012 Highline with sport and nav/dynaudio, reflex on black.

Previous
      2007 GTI, black magic on interlagos cloth, optional 18" detroit wheels, lowered + other mods

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      Last edited by Preppy; 04-14-2012 at 07:53 PM.
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Top Gear UK project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

04-14-2012 07:49 PM #308
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Picked up the tig today.
      Transmission feels amazing, completely different experience from the test drive. Shift point seem to be perfect for cruising and city driving. There was no lag, no surging, no groans or unusual resonance, and the car was happy to downshift without having to thrash the gas.

Very happy!
      that's interesting. mine feels just like that too. and i haven't had to have the update
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

04-14-2012 09:43 PM #309
      @Preppy: Congrats on your new ride, looks great! Also glad that you got the updated programming.

@garethusa: Drove the car today with lot of stretches at 40mph. Car was again in 6th gear for most of the time at low RPM. Looking really forward to the update. Dealer will come back to me early next week. Fingers crossed that they have some update.

04-15-2012 07:17 AM #310
      [QUOTE=Preppy;76908411]Picked up the tig today.

Preppy, that's a very sharp looking Tiggy! You went all out! I love those headlights on the higher trim.
      Enjoy and happy driving!
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

04-16-2012 02:48 PM #311
      Update:

I finally got my feedback from the dealer today. He said that at this time there is no TSB for the transmission update. However, he also told me that when I take the Tiguan to them that they can hook up the car to the computer and that they can call tech-line to see if there is any update. So there is a possibility that there is a software update for us via tech-line as there is for owners in Canada.

I am pretty much swamped for the near future and will not be able to take the car to the dealer. If anyone of you guys have an upcoming service appointment and can try to see if their dealer is willing to hook up their cars to the computer and check with tech-line and report back, that would be great.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      04-16-2012 05:24 PM #312
      Wow - I'm sooo glad to have stumbled across this thread, and seeing 9-pages of complaints tells me I'm not the only one with this gripe.... Our '12 Tig only has ~250 miles on it, and after the first 30miles I knew something wasn't right (truthfully, they mentioned it in the Car & Driver video review, but I've had several turbo cars before and I figured they were just exaggerating. Then I noticed it myself during a test drive at the dealer, but I disregarded it cause I was focused on all the other bells and whistles it had ) The car is absolutely great otherwise, but it shouldn't stay in a gear at 1,250RPM's EVER or drop to 5th/6th gear on a 30mph road like it always tries to do I have been driving in TIP mode for a week now cause I can't take the growling anymore. I can just imagine the car slowly shaking itself apart in another 20k miles...

Hopefully this update can be available to US drivers soon, cause I have honestly been regretting this purchase despite being a dedicated VW/Audi customer for much of my life. Mark my words: I WILL drive from Miami to Canada to get this update if they don't allow it here for some reason or another...

Hey VW Don't leave us hangin' down here!!!
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      04-16-2012 05:38 PM #313
      Quote Originally Posted by BITRBO View Post
      Mark my words: I WILL drive from Miami to Canada to get this update if they don't allow it here for some reason or another...

Marked.

I'll send you to the best dealership in the Toronto area.

I'll even hook you up with great places to eat while you're here
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Top Gear UK project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04-16-2012 05:58 PM #314
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Marked.

I'll send you to the best dealership in the Toronto area.

I'll even hook you up with great places to eat while you're here
      Deal

04-16-2012 06:49 PM #315
      Wow - I'm sooo glad to have stumbled across this thread, and seeing 9-pages of complaints tells me I'm not the only one with this gripe.... Our '12 Tig only has ~250 miles on it, and after the first 30miles I knew something wasn't right (truthfully, they mentioned it in the Car & Driver video review, but I've had several turbo cars before and I figured they were just exaggerating. Then I noticed it myself during a test drive at the dealer, but I disregarded it cause I was focused on all the other bells and whistles it had ) The car is absolutely great otherwise, but it shouldn't stay in a gear at 1,250RPM's EVER or drop to 5th/6th gear on a 30mph road like it always tries to do I have been driving in TIP mode for a week now cause I can't take the growling anymore. I can just imagine the car slowly shaking itself apart in another 20k miles...

Hopefully this update can be available to US drivers soon, cause I have honestly been regretting this purchase despite being a dedicated VW/Audi customer for much of my life. Mark my words: I WILL drive from Miami to Canada to get this update if they don't allow it here for some reason or another...

Welcome to the club

I understand your pain and agree 100% that other than the tranny, the car is great. Please send a message to VW of America at the following link and make your complaint heard. The more complaints we have, the sooner we get hopefully this update:

http://web.vw.com/templates/Service?...e=customercare

Vehicles
      2013 Golf MKVI TDI & 2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      04-16-2012 11:10 PM #316
      Welcome to the club

I understand your pain and agree 100% that other than the tranny, the car is great. Please send a message to VW of America at the following link and make your complaint heard. The more complaints we have, the sooner we get hopefully this update:

http://web.vw.com/templates/Service?...e=customercare
      Just added my voice to the cause through the link... I'm sure I'll get the standard response in 2 days, but it is on record now in addition to my chat email to VW Customer Care.
      Former Vehicles: 1983 Saab 900S, 1997 Saab 9000, 2002 Saab 9-5, 2001 NB TDI, 2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro, 2006 Jetta, 2008 EOS LUX, 2009 Rabbit & Passat, 2010 EOS LUX

Spouses Car: 2012 Tiguan SEL 4Mo
      Daughters Cars: 2012 Tiguan SE 4Mo/Roof/Nav x 2, 2012 Golf

17. Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2012 02:31 PM #317
      what BS... I finally got my VIN, typed all my info, and wrote this awesome complaint, and then it said this when I clicked submit:

"There was a problem communicating with the server. Please try again later."

...fvckers

04-17-2012 02:49 PM #318
      what BS... I finally got my VIN, typed all my info, and wrote this awesome complaint, and then it said this when I clicked submit:

"There was a problem communicating with the server. Please try again later."

...fvckers
      Must be thousands of angry Tiguan owners submitting complaints at the same time

Seriously, write it first in a text file, save it, and then submit.

Also, in case you go to your dealer for a check-up on your Tiguan, ask them if they can hook up your car to the computer and call tech-line to see if there is a transmission update or not. As I indicated earlier, there is no service bulletin out yet (neither here or in Canada), but tech-line in Canada started already giving online updates when the dealer contacts them.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2012 06:54 PM #319
      Must be thousands of angry Tiguan owners submitting complaints at the same time

Seriously, write it first in a text file, save it, and then submit.

Also, in case you go to your dealer for a check-up on your Tiguan, ask them if they can hook up your car to the computer and call tech-line to see if there is a transmission update or not. As I indicated earlier, there is no service bulletin out yet (neither here or in Canada), but tech-line in Canada started already giving online updates when the dealer contacts them.
      No, just thousands of people that slept through the test drive, accordingly to some idiots on here... We must ALL be making it up, cause it would be "illogical" to think that VW could make a mistake like this....

p.s. I'm way ahead of you... I copied and pasted as I wrote the complaint, cause I had a feeling I might loose it. I left 1 character left in my complaint

20. 04-20-2012 09:41 AM #320
      I scheduled an appointment for Wednesday, the 25th. I just added the comment to my online appointment that I want this fix, and have not spoken to the dealer. I had this appointment for my 90 free inspection.

No one in the US has had this done yet?
      2012 Tiguan SEL, FWD, White Gold

04-20-2012 10:34 AM #321
      Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Tiguan View Post
      I scheduled an appointment for Wednesday, the 25th. I just added the comment to my online appointment that I want this fix, and have not spoken to the dealer. I had this appointment for my 90 free inspection.

No one in the US has had this done yet?
      Not that I heard of. As far as I know only our friends in Canada had this done over tech-line.

My dealer told me that there is no TSB but that they will hook up the car to the computer and then call tech-line to see if there is any transmission update. So you need to insist that they call tech-line since if they just run your VIN they will not see anything.

22. 04-20-2012 10:38 AM #322
      That's how I wrote the approintment up based on this thread. Thought someone else may have already gotten in there in the US.

04-20-2012 10:58 AM #323
      Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Tiguan View Post
      That's how I wrote the approintment up based on this thread. Thought someone else may have already gotten in there in the US.
      Cool! Looking forward to your feedback after the 25th.

24. 04-25-2012 03:22 PM #324
      They actually did two things for the transmission: The dealer found that the TCM (transmission control module) had an update available, so they did that, but it didn't change the shift points. Next they dialed up VTA who performed an update. Here is my ticket wording verbatim in case it is helpful for others to get this update:

Test drove vehicle. Scanned for codes. No codes found. Checked for TSBs. Found TSB 01-12-12 to update TCM software level. Current level is 2062 update to 2196. Ran GFF, then software version management unit code 36AD to update. Test drove again. Shift improvement is inconclusive. Opened a VTA ticket with an attachment of GFF log. Called VTA, spoke to Brian Tanner. Brian was able to find a software update by contacting the Engineering Dept. Software update was performed thru telediagnosis, (See attached Printout.) Test drove again. Shift points are noticeably higher.

Okay, now for the verdict: I think it's better. I only drove home from the dealer, with a couple minor diversions. With a very light pedal, the shift points are (I believe) the same by "rule". Before I dropped it off I did a test as to where the transmission would shift with a *minimum* of pedal. I figured this is where I would see the improvement, but I didn't. I found that the transmission would shift at:

3rd 19mph
      4th 22mph
      5th 27mph
      6th 36mph

The new programming doesn't seem to change these points, actually. What it does seem to do is to adjust the shifting based on the variables like throttle (vacuum). Now, having said that it seems better. From a normal takeoff, the engine does higher revs before shifting, and if you do give it a little pedal, it will downshift very easily compared to before. Under normal driving, I find it hard to get it into the "groan mode", so I think I am going to be happy. Before the update, you really had to press down to get it to downshift.

I need to drive it more and can add more info later. Based on my short test, I think few people would ever complain about how it is after the update. I think they could have raised the minimum shift points I have listed above with out impacting much, but for now this is what we got.

I'll drive it more tomorrow.

Would like to hear more from others who get this upgrade.

Edit: Just found a VTA reference number that may be helpful to others: VTA #927905. It is probably their incident number.
      Last edited by Ohio Tiguan; 04-25-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added VTA reference number

04-25-2012 03:39 PM #325
      Cool update Ohio Tiguan, thanks much! Looking forward to hearing about your extended experience.

Was able to set up an appointment for tomorrow with my dealer. Will report back.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 04-25-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast