Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Concern about 2012 Tiguan auto transmission

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4 Motion SEL w/Prem Nav/Dynaudio Pepper Grey/Beige; 2014 EOS Komfort Candy White/Beige
      02-16-2012 05:31 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by tjmatx View Post
      Yes, that is what he said he was going to do. Since the 19s had about 800 miles on them, he said he will have to note that on the vehicle and get the buyer to sign an acknowledgement that he is buying used tires. I'm sure the dealer will still get a few hundred bucks extra for them, and that someone will snap them up quick.
      This is what my dealer has said he would do as well. I drove a SEL for the first time last week and I didn't notice any objectionable roughness in my short test drive on a variety of road surfaces, but when we take delivery of the car here in a week or so, my wife may have an entirely different impression. Car buyers have different preferences about wheels. When I was buying one of our CRVs a few years back, the dealer had a new unit on the lot with some real flashy rims on it. That trim line came standard with some nice alloys, but the buyer opted for these blinged out units at a cost of something like $2K. I shared my story with my VW dealer last week and he just smiled. Trust me when I say they won't loose a dime and they know it.

02-21-2012 07:51 PM #102
      One customer got an encouraging reply from VW that a program update is coming. Finger crossed. See thread below:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n+transmission

02-23-2012 03:04 PM #103
      Here is a video from consumer reports. They do not mention transmission explicitly, but somewhere around 45sec they say "the engine groans and moans" which exactly is what we are experiencing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDWptp6aObE

4. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE w Nav and sunroof
      02-23-2012 06:54 PM #104
      My 2012 Tiguan has this same transmission problem also! SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT!! Not only do I have the lagging and dragging because it goes into 5th gear so early, but I have have a bum heater. It randomly goes from hot to cold. VW is aware of the problem, has no fix made for it yet, and still sells this car without telling the buyer about!
      I have called the customer care line many times. Their response was to replace my 2012 Tiguan SE with another 2012 Tiguan SE that has the SAME problems!
      Do anyone think VW actually cares? I don't think they do. They are making the money and we get the short straw here! I will never buy another VW again.

Vehicles
      2010 Salsa Red VW Jetta TDI (traded in for) 2012 Reflex Silver VW Tiguan SE 4Motion
      02-23-2012 07:23 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by pookieprimmer View Post
      My 2012 Tiguan has this same transmission problem also! SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT!! Not only do I have the lagging and dragging because it goes into 5th gear so early, but I have have a bum heater. It randomly goes from hot to cold. VW is aware of the problem, has no fix made for it yet, and still sells this car without telling the buyer about!
      I have called the customer care line many times. Their response was to replace my 2012 Tiguan SE with another 2012 Tiguan SE that has the SAME problems!
      Do anyone think VW actually cares? I don't think they do. They are making the money and we get the short straw here! I will never buy another VW again.
      Heater issue fixed. See here:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...topped-working!

02-23-2012 08:10 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Ween View Post
      Didn't know about the heater issue. Thanks for the pointer. One more thing to watch out for.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 09:01 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Ween View Post

Thank you!!! I called and the service manager is getting me in for Monday

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 09:02 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      Didn't know about the heater issue. Thanks for the pointer. One more thing to watch out for.
      Oh yea. I've found more problems with this VW than I've had with all my used cars put together!

Does anyone else have Bluetooth problems using the recent iPhone version when streaming Bluetooth?

02-24-2012 09:06 AM #109
      Oh yea. I've found more problems with this VW than I've had with all my used cars put together!

Does anyone else have Bluetooth problems using the recent iPhone version when streaming Bluetooth?
      The iPhone issue is iOS related and requires a solution from Apple. My wife has an iPhone and it has this problem with the bluetooth. I have an Android phone and it does not have any problem at all. So it is not all VWs fault.

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      02-27-2012 09:10 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      The iPhone issue is iOS related and requires a solution from Apple. My wife has an iPhone and it has this problem with the bluetooth. I have an Android phone and it does not have any problem at all. So it is not all VWs fault.
      But the local dealer keeps insisting that it's just MY phone. I haven't had any problems in the Jetta, just these two Tiguans I've had (same exact one each time! I called and complained and kept it up because in so unhappy with this transmission and other problems!)
      The tech says their phones worked fine. The girl who sold it to me said Droids were a problem and iPhone was perfect. I've got so much conflicting info! I don't know if it's just a stupid thing with my Tiguan or MY phone or just an apple/AT&T issue.

02-27-2012 10:42 AM #111
      But the local dealer keeps insisting that it's just MY phone. I haven't had any problems in the Jetta, just these two Tiguans I've had (same exact one each time! I called and complained and kept it up because in so unhappy with this transmission and other problems!)
      The tech says their phones worked fine. The girl who sold it to me said Droids were a problem and iPhone was perfect. I've got so much conflicting info! I don't know if it's just a stupid thing with my Tiguan or MY phone or just an apple/AT&T issue.
      It's definitely an iOS/Apple problem. iPhone users who upgraded from iOS4 to iOS5 are reporting these problems.

I have paired both my Android phone (Google Nexus S) and my wife's iPhone with the bluetooth in the 2012 Tiguan. The iPhone has the problem(s) you described. The Android phone works flawlessly. In fact, I actually paired two different Android phones (I also own a HTC Aria besides the Nexus S) and they worked without any problem. So I am pretty sure that it is an iPhone issue.

According to some reports, the new iOS version will fix this issue but there is no set date when that will be released. So I would wait for that and hope that Apple releases it soon.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 02-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      02-27-2012 05:04 PM #112
      I like how this thread became anything but the transmission thread.

02-27-2012 09:15 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      It would be great if there would be an app to update the transmission. Maybe Apple can work on that

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      02-28-2012 08:46 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Yea... But I could go on and on and on about how much I hate the transmission and the brand. I've never had such a terrible transmission in any car! If the dealer had told me this problem in more detail I wouldn't have bought the car. I'd have stuck with a jetta or (sadly) another brand. And my car is too new to be on any trade in list yet. So I'm stuck with a car that has a transmission which will soon ruin the engine, drives like crud, and makes me feel freaked it wants to stall. I wish VWoA would own up and let people who are remarkable unhappy out of the car.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      02-28-2012 09:12 PM #115
      Yea... But I could go on and on and on about how much I hate the transmission and the brand. I've never had such a terrible transmission in any car! If the dealer had told me this problem in more detail I wouldn't have bought the car. I'd have stuck with a jetta or (sadly) another brand. And my car is too new to be on any trade in list yet. So I'm stuck with a car that has a transmission which will soon ruin the engine, drives like crud, and makes me feel freaked it wants to stall. I wish VWoA would own up and let people who are remarkable unhappy out of the car.
      Be patient, I am sure VW will do something about it pretty soon. Audi had a tranny software fix not too long ago. I am sure the new software probably already in street testing stages. Try to train your tranny for now, it WILL help

16. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE
      02-29-2012 02:31 PM #116
      Agreed. I've trained my 6spd tiptronic in my 2012 and it hardly lugs at all now unless I really feather the throttle.
      2012 Tiguan SE

02-29-2012 02:59 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCooks View Post
      Agreed. I've trained my 6spd tiptronic in my 2012 and it hardly lugs at all now unless I really feather the throttle.
      Can you explain what your strategy was and for how long you trained it? I do not drive very aggressively but also not very softly and still do not see any improvement. Do we need to push this very hard?

18. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE
      02-29-2012 06:02 PM #118
      To tell the truth it was a bit of an accident. During my first couple hundred miles I definitely noticed the lugging and rumbling around 35-40 mph as the tranny tried to cruise around in 6th. I started putting my foot down a little more, not to the floor, but gave it about half throttle off the line most of the time to combat this. After a couple hundred miles I noticed the Tiguan became a lot more responsive and I could hit the gas more gradually and it wouldn't jump straight to 6 as quickly. Like I said, I can still get it to lug if I drive like I'm in a Prius, but for the most part the transmission seems to behave more on the normal side. I know this is kind of vague but it's all I can say. I've heard there's a way to put the Tiguan back in this "learning" phase once you're past the initial phase but don't recall how to do it. Maybe TIGSEL can elaborate.
      2012 Tiguan SE

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL w/Premium Nav; 2011 BMW X3 35i
      02-29-2012 07:40 PM #119
      We picked our SEL up on 25 February, and I have been trying to pay close attention to the transmission. I am not sensing or detecting the sluggishness that everyone has been describing. Perhaps they have started reprogramming the transmissions.

02-29-2012 09:28 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Pablo509 View Post
      We picked our SEL up on 25 February, and I have been trying to pay close attention to the transmission. I am not sensing or detecting the sluggishness that everyone has been describing. Perhaps they have started reprogramming the transmissions.
      Hope that's true. Do any of the previous buyers have any update from VW?

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE FWD
      03-01-2012 08:15 AM #121
      I"m forced to keep my 2012 pretty slow when I leave each day due to the large size of the neighborhood. That being said I've been more aggressive when leaving stop signs, etc., and I've noticed the Tig is starting to learn after only a couple of weeks. At first I was dropping into sixth at 35mph, since I've been going a little harder with the gas- not flooring it, just no feathering it- it doesn't drop into sixth until I'm over 40mph. This is much more tolerable and the rock-gargling noise I was getting has all but disappeared.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI 6M DBPM 2-door
      03-01-2012 11:46 AM #122
      Web research (aka google searches) I did during the time I had my automatic Golf indicated there are two shift maps in D and two in S, and it chose between them based on how aggressive it determined you were driving at the moment. While I did occasionally observe what seemed to be higher shift points in D as you describe, it only took a mile or two of steady 35mph speeds on flat terrain to have it revert back to the high-mpg low-shift-point lugging behavior. My understanding was that the adaptive behavior has a pretty short memory.

03-01-2012 01:15 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by mhackett View Post
      Web research (aka google searches) I did during the time I had my automatic Golf indicated there are two shift maps in D and two in S, and it chose between them based on how aggressive it determined you were driving at the moment. While I did occasionally observe what seemed to be higher shift points in D as you describe, it only took a mile or two of steady 35mph speeds on flat terrain to have it revert back to the high-mpg low-shift-point lugging behavior. My understanding was that the adaptive behavior has a pretty short memory.
      How do you like the manual in your GTI? The clutch pedal is electronic and not hard to press down, right?

When the time comes to trade in my Passat, I am seriously thinking of going back to manual transmission.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI 6M DBPM 2-door
      03-01-2012 01:42 PM #124
      That's first I'd ever read anyone saying the clutch is electronic, and I'm sure it is not. Maybe just something you've read that was confusing it with the clutches in the DSG or something. Regardless, it is a light push and easy to operate.

I'm am delighted to be back in a manual after my year with the slushbox. The car before that was a Mk4 1.8T 5M GTI. My favorite thing to say to anyone who would listen at the time was "Nothing sucks the soul out of a car like an automatic". I know DSG owners will argue with this, and they will have a point, to a point. But still, the simple act of disengaging and reengaging the drivetrain for each shift and lifting and pressing the gas pedal each time puts you more closely in touch with what the car is doing, and capable of doing, than any other transmission design. Even if it is old-fashioned.

There are a couple things to mention, however. Due to emissions reasons the revs drop fairly slowly so if you want to be smooth you can't rush your upshifts. This is mostly a challenge for the 1-2 shift since a large rpm drop is required, not so much the rest of them. But if you do wait around a little too long on the 1-2 shift to get the perfect rev-matched engagement you may find the car behind you (probably an automatic) right up on your bumper while leaving stoplights. So it's best to pull away fairly quickly in 1st to get some distance before shifting.

The other comment is that 6 speeds often seems like one too many for the broad powerband of this engine. 5 would probably have been enough. Especially since 6th is not super-tall like it is with the automatic (about 2300rpm/60mph in the GTI), don't know about the Tiguan or Passat.
      Last edited by mhackett; 03-01-2012 at 01:56 PM.

03-01-2012 02:40 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by mhackett View Post
      That's first I'd ever read anyone saying the clutch is electronic, and I'm sure it is not. Maybe just something you've read that was confusing it with the clutches in the DSG or something. Regardless, it is a light push and easy to operate.

I'm am delighted to be back in a manual after my year with the slushbox. The car before that was a Mk4 1.8T 5M GTI. My favorite thing to say to anyone who would listen at the time was "Nothing sucks the soul out of a car like an automatic". I know DSG owners will argue with this, and they will have a point, to a point. But still, the simple act of disengaging and reengaging the drivetrain for each shift and lifting and pressing the gas pedal each time puts you more closely in touch with what the car is doing, and capable of doing, than any other transmission design. Even if it is old-fashioned.

There are a couple things to mention, however. Due to emissions reasons the revs drop fairly slowly so if you want to be smooth you can't rush your upshifts. This is mostly a challenge for the 1-2 shift since a large rpm drop is required, not so much the rest of them. But if you do wait around a little too long on the 1-2 shift to get the perfect rev-matched engagement you may find the car behind you (probably an automatic) right up on your bumper while leaving stoplights. So it's best to pull away fairly quickly in 1st to get some distance before shifting.

The other comment is that 6 speeds often seems like one too many for the broad powerband of this engine. 5 would probably have been enough. Especially since 6th is not super-tall like it is with the automatic (about 2300rpm/60mph in the GTI), don't know about the Tiguan or Passat.
      Thanks much for the info. My brother-in-law in Europe had a VW Polo with manual transmission (not DSG) and his clutch pedal was electronic; i.e., the clutch pedal was not mechanically separating the discs but rather electronically controlling a motor that would do the separation.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 03-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast