Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Concern about 2012 Tiguan auto transmission

04-11-2012 04:15 PM #281
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      I'm in Ottawa actually.

For anyone in Ontario at least, you should call your dealer about this fix. The software update has not been issued as a TSB so if you want to get it sooner, you have to ask your dealer to call technical line of VW canada to get this update. That's how I get mine done. I would not take a "no" as an answer as this has been done in my case.
      I wonder if I should just drive across the border to get the update

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      04-11-2012 04:25 PM #282
      I'm in Ottawa actually.
      I would not take a "no" as an answer as this has been done in my case.
      Thank you so much. Sorry for the confusion, there was another user from Ajax that had a positive reply.

I will pound them tomorrow until they get it fixed.

Thanks a lot.

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 04:27 PM #283
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      I wonder if I should just drive across the border to get the update
      It would be a fun drive from NC. Just be prepared for the show storms and the blizzards right after you cross the border in Niagara Falls.

04-11-2012 04:30 PM #284
      Quote Originally Posted by artronics View Post
      It would be a fun drive from NC. Just be prepared for the show storms and the blizzards right after you cross the border in Niagara Falls.
      Used to live in Minnesota and Wisconsin in the past. So I will be prepared

Please keep us informed how it goes tomorrow for you. Wondering what your feedback will be about the update.

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 04:48 PM #285
      Used to live in Minnesota and Wisconsin in the past. So I will be prepared

Please keep us informed how it goes tomorrow for you. Wondering what your feedback will be about the update.
      Will do.

The joke about our perpetual winter is from the movie "Canadian Bacon" with John Candy, btw.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      04-11-2012 05:44 PM #286
      Glad I could contribute as well, despite not owning a Tiguan.

I am taking delivery of my Highline on Saturday, just fired off an email to the dealership asking them to update the transmission software as part of the PDI.

Will post pics and opinion of update as soon as I'm able.

Reflex silver on black, sport pack and nav... the only 12 reflex on here? Seems to be an unpopular colour, which is fine for me! (switched from pepper grey / brown leather).
      Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

Fun
      Not as fun

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 09:10 PM #287
      When I got mine, they had a reflex silver on the lot and we almost went for it.
      Decided to go for the wild cherry instead, as it was the only "color" other that blue, which was too dark for our taste. The other options were white, black, grey, silver and gold.
      I would have gone for this in a heart beat:

8. 04-12-2012 08:57 AM #288
      anyone know the wheel/ tire specs on that Yellow Tiggy? it looks mean..
      Thanks

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 10:04 AM #289
      Quote Originally Posted by questnap View Post
      anyone know the wheel/ tire specs on that Yellow Tiggy? it looks mean..
      Thanks
      This is the original post:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n-Color-Choice

I just liked the color.

BTW, my Tig is in the shop, getting the heater software patch, hopefully a new water pump and if they can figure it out the TRANSMISSION FIX!.
      They knew nothing of it, they suggested driving in S.
      Hopefully, they will be able to figure it out.

@d960 Do you happen to have a bulletin number for the software fix they applied?
      Last edited by artronics; 04-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2012 10:17 AM #290

I just liked the color.

BTW, my Tig is in the shop, getting the heater software patch, hopefully a new water pump and if they can figure it out the TRANSMISSION FIX!.

@d960 Do you happen to have a bulletin number for the software fix they applied?
      I wonder if my car will require the heater software update @ PDI?
      The dealerships haven't yet received the service bulletin regarding the trans update. Let them know that they must call VW Techincal for the patch.

Oh and when I was at Downtown VW testing the Comfortline Sport, I mentioned the sluggish shifting to the salesman on the test drive, he said exactly the same thing, put it in S.

And then said, oh you can manually shift too, it's just like a manual.

Fun
      Not as fun

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 10:34 AM #291
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      I wonder if my car will require the heater software update @ PDI?
      The dealerships haven't yet received the service bulletin regarding the trans update. Let them know that they must call VW Techincal for the patch.

Oh and when I was at Downtown VW testing the Comfortline Sport, I mentioned the sluggish shifting to the salesman on the test drive, he said exactly the same thing, put it in S.

And then said, oh you can manually shift too, it's just like a manual.
      You know, I really like the car. But for 40 freakin' K it's got too many problems. Water pump, poor shifting, finicky heater... WTF If I wanted to put up with that I would have bought a Kia. NOT!!! he he he. Still, it's veedubya.
      Every time I see the ads on TV that mention the German engineering, I think of my transmission making noise. How could they release it to the world like that. No fuel savings can justify the rattling.

Actually, I think the problem lies elsewhere. I noticed the vibration even when the car isn't under load, like decelerating from 60 Km/h. Once it gets to that rpm of around 1300, it briefly rattles and shakes. I think it may have something to do with mounts, couplings, something that resonates at about that rpm.

04-12-2012 10:47 AM #292
      You know, I really like the car. But for 40 freakin' K it's got too many problems. Water pump, poor shifting, finicky heater... WTF If I wanted to put up with that I would have bought a Kia. NOT!!! he he he. Still, it's veedubya.
      Every time I see the ads on TV that mention the German engineering, I think of my transmission making noise. How could they release it to the world like that. No fuel savings can justify the rattling.

Actually, I think the problem lies elsewhere. I noticed the vibration even when the car isn't under load, like decelerating from 60 Km/h. Once it gets to that rpm of around 1300, it briefly rattles and shakes. I think it may have something to do with mounts, couplings, something that resonates at about that rpm.
      Agreed. It's a VW and I wouldn't change with a KIA. Also agreed, we spent top $ and you expect a flawless product. But then I remember my friend who got recently into a BMW 5 series which has constantly alignment problems

So it is not always you get what you paid for...

Still happy at least that VW acknowledges the tranny problem. They could have totally ignored it. Let's see when we in the US get this update. Hopefully soon since other than the tranny, I really like the car a lot.

13. 04-12-2012 10:52 AM #293

I just liked the color.

As mentioned, there is no bulletin issued yet. You need to ask the dealer to call VW technical line and the guys at VW will do the software update remotely through network. I was told that's how it get's done. It's very likely dealer does not have a clue about this fix but insist they call technical line.

Day 2 after software update and still very happy. Hope this fix gets to everyone including our friends south of boarder.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2012 11:07 AM #294

Are you sure it's a driveline issue and not a wheel balance issue?

Fun
      Not as fun

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 12:17 PM #295
      As mentioned, there is no bulletin issued yet. You need to ask the dealer to call VW technical line and the guys at VW will do the software update remotely through network. I was told that's how it get's done. It's very likely dealer does not have a clue about this fix but insist they call technical line.

Day 2 after software update and still very happy. Hope this fix gets to everyone including our friends south of border.
      Thank you, I will. Great to hear that it's an improvement.

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 12:21 PM #296
      Are you sure it's a driveline issue and not a wheel balance issue?
      I never said driveline, but I suspect anything that has to do with mounts, couplings, stuff that isn't rigid enough to stop the vibration. And no, out of balance wheels don't do it at a specific rpm, it's a range of speeds, usually higher, that makes an unbalanced wheel vibrate.
      My car has the exact same issue with shifting too soon, but I just noticed a few other (possibly connected) instances where the vibration seems to be present.

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 10:09 PM #297
      Got the software update today and it feels better right away. Didn't drive it much, but I will post more tomorrow. I tried to coast at 50 Km/h and it didn't shift up right away. One interesting comment from the dealership was that the fix prevents it to shift into 6th before 80 Km/h, but I think they staggered all gears. I will post more once I get a chance to drive it.
      And they said the mileage shouldn't be affected, but that remains to be seen.

04-12-2012 10:11 PM #298
      Got the software update today and it feels better right away. Didn't drive it much, but I will post more tomorrow. I tried to coast at 50 Km/h and it didn't shift up right away. One interesting comment from the dealership was that the fix prevents it to shift into 6th before 80 Km/h, but I think they staggered all gears. I will post more once I get a chance to drive it.
      And they said the mileage shouldn't be affected, but that remains to be seen.
      Great news! Getting now impatient about when we are going to get the update here

19. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2012 10:28 PM #299
      Great news!
      Update performed before delivery this weekend.
      Will post impressions Sunday.

Fun
      Not as fun

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 10:32 AM #300
      Drove it this morning and it feels right. It shifts properly, just like I would. Awesome deal. And it might have been the lighter traffic this morning, but mileage seemed better. I don't know if it's my wishful thinking, but it is possible that lugging the engine could have caused it to burn more.
      No more 6th at 50 Km/h. Woo hoo!!!

04-13-2012 10:50 AM #301
      Drove it this morning and it feels right. It shifts properly, just like I would. Awesome deal. And it might have been the lighter traffic this morning, but mileage seemed better. I don't know if it's my wishful thinking, but it is possible that lugging the engine could have caused it to burn more.
      No more 6th at 50 Km/h. Woo hoo!!!
      Wow, so jealous now

I really hope that we get the update here soon. I shot a message to my dealer today and will report if I hear back.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:04 AM #302
      Wow, so jealous now

I really hope that we get the update here soon. I shot a message to my dealer today and will report if I hear back.
      Just like my goomba said in a post above, you have to tell them to contact the tech center for the update. Apparently, they remote into your car and do whatever, it's not the dealer/service dept. that applies the fix.

04-13-2012 11:07 AM #303
      Just like my goomba said in a post above, you have to tell them to contact the tech center for the update. Apparently, they remote into your car and do whatever, it's not the dealer/service dept. that applies the fix.
      Don't know if they are willing to (or can) do the "Techline Connection" here in the US. I asked my dealer about it. Let's see how he responds.

Vehicles
      2004 GLI VR6, 2012 Tiguan
      04-13-2012 11:40 AM #304
      Very interested to see if we ever get this in the US. My husband has driven the Tig enough that he now notices the early up shift too.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-13-2012 08:42 PM #305
      I sent VWoA an email yesterday and they replied today...see below...its all good!

Dear Mr. Hyder:

Thank you for your e-mail addressed to my colleague. I understand you are inquiring about a transmission software update, and it is my pleasure to assist you in any way possible.

I confirmed internally within Volkswagen that our engineers are aware of the dissatisfaction some of our customers are having with the performance of the transmission for the 2012 Tiguan. Though I do not have a release date, I understand Volkswagen is currently working on an adjustment that addresses this concern and allows the Tiguan to still comply with Federal emission standards.

I regret our Customer CARE Center does not have access to vehicle updates. Once an update becomes available, the information is immediately provided to our dealerships, as they are at the forefront of assisting our customers with vehicle concerns. Because of this, I’d like to encourage you to keep in contact with your dealership as they will have the most up-to-date information regarding any adjustments or software updates for your SUV.

Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and we take your concerns seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you, especially so early in your ownership. Please be assured I have documented your inquiry about this situation, so we may have a record of it.

If I can be of further assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. Our website, www.vw.com, has a dealer locate tool on the Home page. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Courtney F.
      Customer CARE Advocate

So I now believe this update is imminent...keep the faith!

Brad

04-13-2012 09:43 PM #306
      Quote Originally Posted by bradsvw View Post
      I sent VWoA an email yesterday and they replied today...see below...its all good!

Dear Mr. Hyder:

Thank you for your e-mail addressed to my colleague. I understand you are inquiring about a transmission software update, and it is my pleasure to assist you in any way possible.

I confirmed internally within Volkswagen that our engineers are aware of the dissatisfaction some of our customers are having with the performance of the transmission for the 2012 Tiguan. Though I do not have a release date, I understand Volkswagen is currently working on an adjustment that addresses this concern and allows the Tiguan to still comply with Federal emission standards.

I regret our Customer CARE Center does not have access to vehicle updates. Once an update becomes available, the information is immediately provided to our dealerships, as they are at the forefront of assisting our customers with vehicle concerns. Because of this, I’d like to encourage you to keep in contact with your dealership as they will have the most up-to-date information regarding any adjustments or software updates for your SUV.

Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and we take your concerns seriously. I apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you, especially so early in your ownership. Please be assured I have documented your inquiry about this situation, so we may have a record of it.

If I can be of further assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. Our website, www.vw.com, has a dealer locate tool on the Home page. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Courtney F.
      Customer CARE Advocate

So I now believe this update is imminent...keep the faith!

Brad
      This is the same response that I got from VW of America as well. Fingers crossed that we have this update some time soon.

Did not hear back from my dealer today but expect something hopefully tomorrow or Monday. Will report if I hear anything new.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      04-14-2012 06:47 PM #307
      Picked up the tig today.
      Transmission feels amazing, completely different experience from the test drive. Shift point seem to be perfect for cruising and city driving. There was no lag, no surging, no groans or unusual resonance, and the car was happy to downshift without having to thrash the gas.

Very happy!

After two black GTIs, I'm looking forward to silver!

2012 Highline with sport and nav/dynaudio, reflex on black.

Previous
      2007 GTI, black magic on interlagos cloth, optional 18" detroit wheels, lowered + other mods

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      Last edited by Preppy; 04-14-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Fun
      Not as fun

04-14-2012 07:49 PM #308
      Picked up the tig today.
      Transmission feels amazing, completely different experience from the test drive. Shift point seem to be perfect for cruising and city driving. There was no lag, no surging, no groans or unusual resonance, and the car was happy to downshift without having to thrash the gas.

Very happy!
      that's interesting. mine feels just like that too. and i haven't had to have the update
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

04-14-2012 09:43 PM #309
      @Preppy: Congrats on your new ride, looks great! Also glad that you got the updated programming.

@garethusa: Drove the car today with lot of stretches at 40mph. Car was again in 6th gear for most of the time at low RPM. Looking really forward to the update. Dealer will come back to me early next week. Fingers crossed that they have some update.

04-15-2012 07:17 AM #310
      [QUOTE=Preppy;76908411]Picked up the tig today.

Preppy, that's a very sharp looking Tiggy! You went all out! I love those headlights on the higher trim.
      Enjoy and happy driving!
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

04-16-2012 02:48 PM #311
      Update:

I finally got my feedback from the dealer today. He said that at this time there is no TSB for the transmission update. However, he also told me that when I take the Tiguan to them that they can hook up the car to the computer and that they can call tech-line to see if there is any update. So there is a possibility that there is a software update for us via tech-line as there is for owners in Canada.

I am pretty much swamped for the near future and will not be able to take the car to the dealer. If anyone of you guys have an upcoming service appointment and can try to see if their dealer is willing to hook up their cars to the computer and check with tech-line and report back, that would be great.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      04-16-2012 05:24 PM #312
      Wow - I'm sooo glad to have stumbled across this thread, and seeing 9-pages of complaints tells me I'm not the only one with this gripe.... Our '12 Tig only has ~250 miles on it, and after the first 30miles I knew something wasn't right (truthfully, they mentioned it in the Car & Driver video review, but I've had several turbo cars before and I figured they were just exaggerating. Then I noticed it myself during a test drive at the dealer, but I disregarded it cause I was focused on all the other bells and whistles it had ) The car is absolutely great otherwise, but it shouldn't stay in a gear at 1,250RPM's EVER or drop to 5th/6th gear on a 30mph road like it always tries to do I have been driving in TIP mode for a week now cause I can't take the growling anymore. I can just imagine the car slowly shaking itself apart in another 20k miles...

Hopefully this update can be available to US drivers soon, cause I have honestly been regretting this purchase despite being a dedicated VW/Audi customer for much of my life. Mark my words: I WILL drive from Miami to Canada to get this update if they don't allow it here for some reason or another...

Hey VW Don't leave us hangin' down here!!!
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

33. Member
      Vehicles
      04-16-2012 05:38 PM #313
      Quote Originally Posted by BITRBO View Post
      Mark my words: I WILL drive from Miami to Canada to get this update if they don't allow it here for some reason or another...

Marked.

I'll send you to the best dealership in the Toronto area.

I'll even hook you up with great places to eat while you're here

Fun
      Not as fun

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Audi S4 (track); '09 JSW TDI (daily); '12 Tiguan SE (wifey)
      04-16-2012 05:58 PM #314
      Marked.

I'll send you to the best dealership in the Toronto area.

I'll even hook you up with great places to eat while you're here
      Deal
      JSW: stock
      Tiguan: stock
      S4: Stage 2++

04-16-2012 06:49 PM #315
      Quote Originally Posted by BITRBO View Post
      Wow - I'm sooo glad to have stumbled across this thread, and seeing 9-pages of complaints tells me I'm not the only one with this gripe.... Our '12 Tig only has ~250 miles on it, and after the first 30miles I knew something wasn't right (truthfully, they mentioned it in the Car & Driver video review, but I've had several turbo cars before and I figured they were just exaggerating. Then I noticed it myself during a test drive at the dealer, but I disregarded it cause I was focused on all the other bells and whistles it had ) The car is absolutely great otherwise, but it shouldn't stay in a gear at 1,250RPM's EVER or drop to 5th/6th gear on a 30mph road like it always tries to do I have been driving in TIP mode for a week now cause I can't take the growling anymore. I can just imagine the car slowly shaking itself apart in another 20k miles...

Hopefully this update can be available to US drivers soon, cause I have honestly been regretting this purchase despite being a dedicated VW/Audi customer for much of my life. Mark my words: I WILL drive from Miami to Canada to get this update if they don't allow it here for some reason or another...

Welcome to the club

I understand your pain and agree 100% that other than the tranny, the car is great. Please send a message to VW of America at the following link and make your complaint heard. The more complaints we have, the sooner we get hopefully this update:

http://web.vw.com/templates/Service?...e=customercare

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast