Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Concern about 2012 Tiguan auto transmission

1. 03-23-2012 10:48 AM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by AsianDude View Post
      My '12 GTI with DSG did not have a software update after I bought it. I tried so hard to buy a Tiguan SEL and test drove so many of them for so long hoping that the trans behaviour was 'acceptable'...but in the end, one drive in the GTI DSG proved that the Tiguan's trans programing is off. Now I am on the hunt for a Jetta Wagon TDI or a Passat TDI to replace the previously not bought Tiguan for the wife.
      I am tempted to buy that sprint booster and then go plug it into a Tiguan at the dealer's lot and take that for a drive...
      This was my first automatic tranny since high school and the first new vehicle with an auto in my entire life so I'm a little more forgiving. My expectations probably were a little lower than most. The Tiguan's auto is truly disappointing but I think I'll be ble to live with it for now. If it becomes too much of a problem, I'm going to let it go. Now, if Mazda were to ever give us the new CX-5 diesel in awd I could be swayed.

2. 03-23-2012 10:51 AM #202
      OK guys. One of my friends in China just bought 2012 Tiguan and experiences the same issue. He brought the car back to dealer. There is an experimental bulletins claims the transmission module is the culprit of tremble. Software update is internally available but investigation shows a design faulty prevents a software update to the module through the VW on-board diagnostic tester VAS 5052. At this time, at least for the China region, the transmission module 09G927750MF must be replaced with an older version 09G927750LC (or 09G927750LD for 2WD) to fix the tremble issue.

In addition, the Haldex 4motion controller 0AY907554E also needs to be upgraded to D version software if transmission module is downgrade/upgraded.

Even VW China only fix the issue for those who complains the most and the fix is subject to part availability which is currently running low. Not sure when will VWOA & VW Canada carry out a fix.

Last edited by vivalite; 03-23-2012 at 11:05 AM.

03-23-2012 11:23 AM #203
      Quote Originally Posted by vivalite View Post
      OK guys. One of my friends in China just bought 2012 Tiguan and experiences the same issue. He brought the car back to dealer. There is an experimental bulletins claims the transmission module is the culprit of tremble. Software update is internally available but investigation shows a design faulty prevents a software update to the module through the VW on-board diagnostic tester VAS 5052. At this time, at least for the China region, the transmission module 09G927750MF must be replaced with an older version 09G927750LC (or 09G927750LD for 2WD) to fix the tremble issue.

In addition, the Haldex 4motion controller 0AY907554E also needs to be upgraded to D version software if transmission module is downgrade/upgraded.

Even VW China only fix the issue for those who complains the most and the fix is subject to part availability which is currently running low. Not sure when will VWOA & VW Canada carry out a fix.
      Really interesting and a shimmer of hope that there will be an update by VW for this annoying issue. Though if this really requires a module update, I am afraid it will take some time.
      Last edited by vw_nc_dude; 03-23-2012 at 11:38 AM.

4. 03-23-2012 11:41 AM #204
      I think it's time to hurt 'em where it counts. Go to this link where a user littledot3 has tweeted his displeasure. Start your own tweet, or just retweet this guys to get our point across.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/realti...20transmission
      2012 Tiguan SEL, FWD, White Gold

5. 03-24-2012 09:33 PM #205
      Thanks for update. This is not good news. I wonder what VW canada's conclusion about this. From my chat with VW canada service manager last time, it is mentioned that they are doing some "internal testing" on this. Will keep my fingers crossed.

For now I guess we just need to keep voicing our concerns and put pressure on them to give it a fix.

On the other hand, I wonder if anyone any who has 2012 Tiguan have ever driven a 2011 Tiguan. I'm tempted to go find one out there and do a test drive and see what difference the transmission makes.

Quote Originally Posted by vivalite View Post

03-24-2012 11:11 PM #206
      Quote Originally Posted by d960 View Post
      On the other hand, I wonder if anyone any who has 2012 Tiguan have ever driven a 2011 Tiguan. I'm tempted to go find one out there and do a test drive and see what difference the transmission makes.
      I did test drive a 2011 and it did not seem to have this problem. Though it was just a short test drive. Maybe someone who did a more extensive drive or who does/did own a previous model year can comment further.

7. 03-25-2012 07:39 PM #207
      Quote Originally Posted by vw_nc_dude View Post
      I did test drive a 2011 and it did not seem to have this problem. Though it was just a short test drive. Maybe someone who did a more extensive drive or who does/did own a previous model year can comment further.
      Thanks for sharing. The more I drive Tiguan the more I hated it! My Golf on the other hand feels just so much smoother. I now have doubt how much this software fix can do.

03-25-2012 09:42 PM #208
      Thanks for sharing. The more I drive Tiguan the more I hated it! My Golf on the other hand feels just so much smoother. I now have doubt how much this software fix can do.
      I am actually pretty optimistic that a software fix will solve this. As one owner pointed out, VW actually did a pretty good job in the transmission when you are climbing or ascending a slope. No weird shift patterns there. So the software handles that part pretty well.

Where the shift pattern screws up is when you have a stretch with no (or almost no) slope in city traffic and the transmission goes to 6th gear at 35mph. It did the same thing at my drive today, and I had to go to tiptronic to bring it down to the 4th gear

So the programming should be easy like the following line of code which I am willing to give VW for free

If speed < 40 mph
      Do not ever shift to 5th or 6th gear
      else
      Possible shift to 5th or 6th gear
      end

9. 03-26-2012 09:40 AM #209
      Your code makes me smile, LOL. It's so simple isn't it ?

I also feel that the transmission is indecisive when you accelerate then have to stop pressing gas paddle as there are cars in front of you or turning. One particular things that bothers me is when I turn at relatively slow speed and put light pressure on gas paddle, the vibration seems to get worse and very repeatable, e.g., if I just just take off and have to do left or right turn at low speed, it always vibrate ! The speed at this time is around 20-30km/h and gear is at 3 or 4. If I step hard on the gas, the vibration is gone. Wonder if anyone else have seen this ?

I am actually pretty optimistic that a software fix will solve this. As one owner pointed out, VW actually did a pretty good job in the transmission when you are climbing or ascending a slope. No weird shift patterns there. So the software handles that part pretty well.

Where the shift pattern screws up is when you have a stretch with no (or almost no) slope in city traffic and the transmission goes to 6th gear at 35mph. It did the same thing at my drive today, and I had to go to tiptronic to bring it down to the 4th gear

So the programming should be easy like the following line of code which I am willing to give VW for free

If speed < 40 mph
      Do not ever shift to 5th or 6th gear
      else
      Possible shift to 5th or 6th gear
      end

03-26-2012 10:40 AM #210
      Your code makes me smile, LOL. It's so simple isn't it ?

I also feel that the transmission is indecisive when you accelerate then have to stop pressing gas paddle as there are cars in front of you or turning. One particular things that bothers me is when I turn at relatively slow speed and put light pressure on gas paddle, the vibration seems to get worse and very repeatable, e.g., if I just just take off and have to do left or right turn at low speed, it always vibrate ! The speed at this time is around 20-30km/h and gear is at 3 or 4. If I step hard on the gas, the vibration is gone. Wonder if anyone else have seen this ?
      I noticed this behavior as well. So it is not just the 6th gear jump at 35mph.

There is hopefully something in the works. Really a shame that such a great car has such a bad transmission program.

11. 03-26-2012 11:43 AM #211
      I noticed this behavior as well. So it is not just the 6th gear jump at 35mph.

There is hopefully something in the works. Really a shame that such a great car has such a bad transmission program.
      Thanks for confirmation. I have slight relief to know that I'm not alone on this behavior.

I suppose to receive an update next week from VW canada on possible fix. Will post once I hear from them.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      03-26-2012 02:15 PM #212
      +1

It is very true that it's not the gear, it's the rpm range.
      My Scangauge shows that it happens above 1100 rpm up to about 1300, in the higher gears. While coasting at about 1100 rpm, the vibration isn't present, though. Accelerating slightly so that it doesn't down shift, will cause the vibration as soon as it goes over 1200 rpm.

BTW, I emailed VW Canada only to receive a disappointing reply to contact the dealer for a service call, as my vehicle is still (sic) under warranty.

13. 03-26-2012 02:46 PM #213
      Got another reply to my reply from VOA. Seems to me the fix is still a go!

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for your response to my e-mail. I understand you have additional questions, and I appreciate the chance to follow up with you.

I apologize for my choice of words in my prior reply. All of our resources still indicate that an update is being researched. Though we do not have information that an update has yet been released, your dealer will be given information first concerning a release when it is available.

I am also very sorry this has caused your confidence in your Tiguan to fade, as this is was not our intent at all. It is my sincere hope we will soon be able to address your concerns quickly so you may enjoy your Tiguan as you had hoped when it was purchased.

Should you have additional questions, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Daniel R.
      Customer CARE Advocate
      2012 Tiguan SEL, FWD, White Gold

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Murano, 2012 Tiguan
      03-26-2012 05:24 PM #214
      This is encouraging. I'm continuing my correspondence/messaging with VW at every opportunity about this issue too.
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion
      2011 Murano SL AWD

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      1995 Range Rover County, 2009 VW Tiguan
      03-27-2012 12:51 AM #215
      I heard something today I think you will all find funny.

A VW Corporate Guy came and picked up his new 2012 Tig SEL Premium Demo at VW Training Center on the 22nd. He heard me talking to the corporate tech trainer about this issue.

He came by my dealership today. He came up to me and said, "You know that transmission problem you were talking about the other day? Mine is doing the same thing you were talking about."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He said that his cure was just to mash the gas pedal harder. Hopefully, when the complaints start coming from the VW Corporate folks, they will take things more seriously.

Mike

16. 03-27-2012 11:58 AM #216
      VW service manager I called the other day admitted that she had the exact same problem as well when she drive the car, so I guess there is no doubt that at least VW canada is aware of this issue. Now just hope they get it fixed !

Quote Originally Posted by gollumses View Post
      I heard something today I think you will all find funny.

A VW Corporate Guy came and picked up his new 2012 Tig SEL Premium Demo at VW Training Center on the 22nd. He heard me talking to the corporate tech trainer about this issue.

He came by my dealership today. He came up to me and said, "You know that transmission problem you were talking about the other day? Mine is doing the same thing you were talking about."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He said that his cure was just to mash the gas pedal harder. Hopefully, when the complaints start coming from the VW Corporate folks, they will take things more seriously.

Mike

17. 03-27-2012 05:38 PM #217
      I was going to purchase a Tig a few months ago, until I started reading about the tranny on all the forums. Pretty much decided on a V6 Rav4 instead. Last Saturday, went to the Toyota dealer, drove the V6 around for a while, then went across the street to the VW dealer and drove the Tig again. Got the Tig to Vibrate and roar between 30 and 40 mph. But you know what, the Tig is still the best small SUV out there. Just took delivery of my 2012. Now, when it wants to roar, I just shift into manual mode, and all is good. Still, I'm going to keep pestering VW to change the shift mapping, cuz it certainly would be nice not to troll along at 1100 rpms while doing only 35 mph.

03-27-2012 05:43 PM #218
      Quote Originally Posted by warprints View Post
      I was going to purchase a Tig a few months ago, until I started reading about the tranny on all the forums. Pretty much decided on a V6 Rav4 instead. Last Saturday, went to the Toyota dealer, drove the V6 around for a while, then went across the street to the VW dealer and drove the Tig again. Got the Tig to Vibrate and roar between 30 and 40 mph. But you know what, the Tig is still the best small SUV out there. Just took delivery of my 2012. Now, when it wants to roar, I just shift into manual mode, and all is good. Still, I'm going to keep pestering VW to change the shift mapping, cuz it certainly would be nice not to troll along at 1100 rpms while doing only 35 mph.
      congrats on your tig purchase.

i got mine last week and it's awesome.
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan 07 Suzi Swift
      03-27-2012 06:52 PM #219
      Pretty much decided on a V6 Rav4 instead. Last Saturday, went to the Toyota dealer, drove the V6 around for a while, then went across the street to the VW dealer and drove the Tig again. Got the Tig to Vibrate and roar between 30 and 40 mph. But you know what, the Tig is still the best small SUV out there.
      Absolutely true
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand
      Second Tig, 2013, TDi, Auto, night blue, park assist 2, auto lights and wipers, RCD510, fogs, tow pack
      http://www.alexandra.co.nz/

03-27-2012 07:29 PM #220
      Certainly good move to go with the Tiguan instead of the RAV4. Despite the tranny problem we are experiencing, it is still the better car.

Keep on complaining about the shift programming to VW. I do the same. Hopefully we get a solution soon.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 TTS & 2012 Tiguan
      03-27-2012 09:41 PM #221
      I spoke to VW Canada customer service a couple of weeks ago and asked them about this problem and they had not heard of it and nobody had complained. Has anyone spoke to VW Canada customer service lately? I want to get a new Highland Sport by the end of the month.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Comfortline 2.0 TSI 4Motion
      03-28-2012 09:58 AM #222
      Quote Originally Posted by NLGolf1.8T View Post
      I spoke to VW Canada customer service a couple of weeks ago and asked them about this problem and they had not heard of it and nobody had complained. Has anyone spoke to VW Canada customer service lately? I want to get a new Highland Sport by the end of the month.
      I got an email from them last week and they said there are no recalls and that I should go in for warranty service. Sounds like they are oblivious to a wide-spread problem.
      But, IMHO, don't let that deter you from buying one. I am now over 1000 KM and the adaptive gearbox has made it better. It doesn't do it all that often any more.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      03-28-2012 10:07 AM #223
      I spoke to customer service on Thursday night and they have not heard of any issues with the 2012 Tiguan transmission. Please everybody contact them if you want some results.
      I wrote John White, the VW Group Canada president and CEO (email addresses seem to be easily found online).

He did not reply directly to my email.

Instead it was answered by a Customer Service Manager.

Your email to Mr. White was forwarded to me for review and response. I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for your loyalty to our Brand over the last 12 years. I apologize that you did not find your driving experience of our 2012 Tiguan a pleasurable one because of the 6-sp transmission and its programming. The programming was done in such a fashion as to optimize the fuel consumption of the vehicle. We will certainly document your displeasure and will make sure that our Product Planning Specialists are made aware of your comments. Unfortunately, there is no programming changes planned at this time for the vehicle as it would take it out of advertised fuel consumption ratings.
      And then, I received this:

Hi,

I have been advised this morning that an update to the programming may be available soon. We are in testing phase at this time. Would you like me to follow-up with you once it is available?

Regard,
      Julie Zayac
      Customer Service Manager
      Directrice du Service à la Clientèle

Volkswagen Group Canada
      777 Bayly St. W
      Ajax, ON L1S 7G7
      Last edited by Preppy; 03-28-2012 at 10:09 AM.
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Top Gear UK project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

03-28-2012 10:30 AM #224
      @Preppy: Thanks much for keeping us in the loop. I forwarded the message from VW Canada to the US customer service center asking if there is an update for US customers as well.

Let's see how they respond.

03-28-2012 10:32 AM #225
      Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Tiguan View Post
      Got another reply to my reply from VOA. Seems to me the fix is still a go!

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for your response to my e-mail. I understand you have additional questions, and I appreciate the chance to follow up with you.

I apologize for my choice of words in my prior reply. All of our resources still indicate that an update is being researched. Though we do not have information that an update has yet been released, your dealer will be given information first concerning a release when it is available.

I am also very sorry this has caused your confidence in your Tiguan to fade, as this is was not our intent at all. It is my sincere hope we will soon be able to address your concerns quickly so you may enjoy your Tiguan as you had hoped when it was purchased.

Should you have additional questions, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again at your convenience.

Sincerely,

Daniel R.
      Customer CARE Advocate
      @Ohio Tiguan: Can you forward the below message from Preppy to your Customer CARE Advocate Daniel R ?

It might get some wheels rolling or at least confirm that they are testing something for US customers.

This is the message Preppy received from VW Canada:

Hi,

I have been advised this morning that an update to the programming may be available soon. We are in testing phase at this time. Would you like me to follow-up with you once it is available?

Regard,
      Julie Zayac
      Customer Service Manager
      Directrice du Service à la Clientèle

Volkswagen Group Canada
      777 Bayly St. W
      Ajax, ON L1S 7G7

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast