Wheel color is too, looks good with no caps.
The Front end is done! Its up all the way right now. I think I'll mess with it after I get the rear down some. Sand blasted and painted the front smoothies and just picked up another set that I sand blasted today. New hub cap clips should be here on friday so I might just be rollin in style by the weekend. Until then drag racer style! 135 R15 nankangs up front 16580R15 kumhos in the rear(I have 4 and they came new with the car).
I finished the rear end and found two more smoothies that I sand blasted and painted with new clips and hub caps I think they came out pretty damn good.
I reindexed the rear the same amount down on both sides. Im guessing two outer splines, I did it by measuring off the body mounts down to the spring plate on both sides. Notched the spring plate just incase and have it adjusted all the way up in the pictures above. So I can drop the front 4" more than I have it and the rear another 2" if I want. I'm pretty happy with the stance as it is right now but I'm sure I'll still tinker with it
I put the Bug away for the winter today I'm thinking of pulling the Body off the pan and sending it out to get blasted and Sprayed. I got a baseline quote of $3500 to start depending on what is revealed by the blasting. I know the passenger rear in front of the wheel well was replaced at some time so the shop is anticipating some time there. Other than that though the car was from California and seems completely solid. Does this seem like a reasonable quote? Does any one know of a good shop in the Northeast so I can possibly get a few quotes?
That doesn't sound terrible actually. When I got my 4runner painted from a friends body shop. I got a deal at 1500 with no body work. Plan for the worst though as far as rust. That way if your wrong you'll at least be pleasantly surprised. See if doing any prep work for them can get you a lower price too. good luck!
sent from my incredible2
I pulled the engine last weekend and sent it out to be rebuilt. 40hp parts are hard to come by I've spoken with wolfgang international and vintage parts inc and they are both out of stock. Any other distributers that have rebuilt heads for 40hp engines that people have used?
Pics of my buddies car that I'm helping him finish so you don't get bored
engine pics to come!
Man, your car is perfect!
Enjoyed reading through the thread, too.
I am looking for one just like that right now.
The complete VW n00b.
2012 CW GTI w/nav 6MT
1969 Beetle & 1969 Beetle (parts car)
2007 Honda Pilot - wife's car, no care
[Trying to talk her into a Tiguan...]
Well I decided not to go with the generator and put in a new 75amp alternator. The only thing i dont like is the stupid carb spacer but it is what it is. I also found a 63 oil bath air filter for the bug. I pulled all the tins cleaned them up and painted everything rebuilt the carb and fuel pump put new set of electronic ignition in since I fried the other one lack of sleep! She fired off and runs great its amazing how well it runs with the new heads.
Pics to come
So.... I pulled the engine
Put rebuilt heads, push rods and push rod tubes on the block cleaned up everything and reinstalled
It was very clean behind the old Tar board. Just some surface rust that I cleaned up. I put new Tar board in for now. When I save the money to do the body work I think I'll pull it and smooth out the engine bay of all the tabs like Schell suggested
The damn pulley was stuck on so well that I broke my first puller! The second one got it off but the pulley was bent so I had to find a used one 40hp parts are getting hard to find!
I found two pulleys and used the best one. Also got an Air cleaner from what the guy said was a 63 engine
The degreaser I used also takes off original paint
cleaned up the alternator with the wire wheel and some paint
Same for the tins
The tube on the right was clogged so I drilled a hole heated it up and sent a variety of pipe cleaners and tools through along with heat and degreaser until it was clear. Then welded it up and smoothed it out
I smoothed out some of the casting marks on the manifold while I was at it and painted it with some 1500 degree
high heat paint
Coming back together
Here she is!
And in the car
I still need to finish cleaning up the air filter but I needed to drive it. Its been off the road for 6 months. She got treated to new running boards and a new rear bumper as well.
Now I have a blinker issue that developed on my first drive this year. The blinker return switch on the wheel is catching and turning the blinkers off and on as I turn. Very annoying. Probably needs a good cleaning hopefully its not too complicated of a mechanism.
Last edited by sethbilodeau; 06-22-2012 at 11:38 PM.