Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HPA Motorsports Gen.2 Haldex Controller for Audi TT (Mk2)

1. 08-17-2011 05:44 PM #1

Most Mk5 based 4-motion equipped cars use Haldex's second generation of AWD systems. The Gen 2 Sport controller takes into account the TPS signal more so than the OEM software and therefore can proactively begin applying power to the RWD clutch packs before wheel spin begins, and as power is increased, more power lock occurs in the RWD unit until full lock is achieved.

This product offers the following benefits:

• increases torque transmission at acceleration
      • provides consistent performance with increased over-steer
      • torque-transmission is influenced by how quickly you depress the accelerator
      • transmits torque before the engine delivers torque
      • at greater speeds, the torque will decrease enabling less over-steer and safer driving properties

Instead of the standard Blue Gen 2 controller, HPA Motorsports is proud to exclusively offer our "Stealth" Gen2 Sport Haldex controller. Identical in appearance to your stock controller, you can now enjoy all the benefits of this performance component without jeopardizing your powertrain warranty. The Stealth controller is undetectable by your dealership; both visually as well as through a scan of your Haldex all wheel drive system.

By default, the controller is designed to be in Sport mode which transforms the handling characteristics of your AWD car by increasing torque transfer to the rear axle and giving more rear wheel bias.

With the installation of a specially engineered wiring harness and switch, you can have instant access to all three of the programs built in to the controller; Stock, Sport, and Race.

As an enthusiastic driver you may not find yourself using Stock mode very often, but it will come in useful when loaning your car to an inexperienced driver, or when you are driving in slippery conditions and want to engage the conservative safety parameters set out by the factory.

Race mode will unleash further potential as it provides faster reaction time to vehicle inputs in the AWD communication system, and allows for even greater amounts of torque transfer to the rear axle.

Orders can be placed by PayPal through our website, or by calling HPA directly at 604.598.8520.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 TT Roadster
      08-19-2011 11:10 PM #2
      If I were to get this, should I get it before the DSG software, or does the order not matter?

3. 08-22-2011 12:39 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by unitool View Post
      If I were to get this, should I get it before the DSG software, or does the order not matter?
      The order makes no difference...we have controllers in stock, while our DSG loaner tool is currently on a waiting list. Not sure if this has any bearing on your decision...

4. 08-24-2011 04:58 PM #4
      All controllers now in stock...IM or e-mail for a quote including shipping to your destination.

5. 08-29-2011 06:01 PM #5
      All IMs and e-mails replied. Thank you for your orders!

6. 09-06-2011 07:59 PM #6
      More inventory arriving this week. E-mail for special pricing...

7. 09-13-2011 06:38 PM #7
      All Haldex controllers now in stock. E-mail for a quote to your destination.

8. 09-21-2011 06:41 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      Worth every penny! Provided much needed grip during this years road rally in the rain to make the long stint non-nerve racking with an inch of standing water on the roadways.

Vehicles
      Axis of Evil
      09-22-2011 11:43 AM #9
      So HPA has a DSG file for MY2011 TTS?
      NR/NR

10. 09-22-2011 12:08 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by SKNKWRX View Post
      So HPA has a DSG file for MY2011 TTS?
      YES! Give Keir a call at ext. 103, and he'll hook you up!

Please keep this thread on topic...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman R; 2012 R8 V10
      09-28-2011 06:10 PM #12
      Is there a version for the TTRS that is set to 'race' mode as a default?

12. 09-28-2011 06:28 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill View Post
      No. But we have a great combo price on a switch/cable that allows you to toggle between modes (stock/sport/race) at your convenience.

I will IM you the details.

Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      09-28-2011 11:53 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by VAD@HPA View Post
      No. But we have a great combo price on a switch/cable that allows you to toggle between modes (stock/sport/race) at your convenience.

I will IM you the details.
      Please IM me as well. I am interested in the Haldex setup for the TTRS, does it come with upgraded Haldex controller from the factory?

Thanks!!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      09-29-2011 01:19 AM #15
      Isn't the controller already set up for a different distribution on the TTRS? And don't these front / rear power distribution ratios change depending on the relative slip rate of the front versus rear wheels?

I'd want to understand all of that before assuming there is any improvement with an aftermarket controller.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

15. 09-29-2011 12:20 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
      Please IM me as well. I am interested in the Haldex setup for the TTRS, does it come with upgraded Haldex controller from the factory?

Thanks!!
      IM sent.

16. 09-29-2011 12:23 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      I'd want to understand all of that before assuming there is any improvement with an aftermarket controller.
      While sharing the OE and RACE modes of the Generation 2 controller, the Generation 4 controller (The TT-RS uses this one) replaces SPORT mode with ECO mode.

Eco mode was developed for increased fuel efficiency. Its purpose is to reduce the torque transfer from front to rear during normal highway driving (coasting), but will immediately engage the system if a wheel starts to slip to prevent decreased traction situations. This mode is recommended to be used when 4 wheel drive is not a high priority.

By default, the controller is designed to be in Race mode. With the installation of a specially engineered wiring harness and switch, you can have instant access to all three of the programs built in to the controller; Stock, Race, and Eco.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman R; 2012 R8 V10
      09-29-2011 04:00 PM #18
      While sharing the OE and RACE modes of the Generation 2 controller, the Generation 4 controller (The TT-RS uses this one) replaces SPORT mode with ECO mode.

Eco mode was developed for increased fuel efficiency. Its purpose is to reduce the torque transfer from front to rear during normal highway driving (coasting), but will immediately engage the system if a wheel starts to slip to prevent decreased traction situations. This mode is recommended to be used when 4 wheel drive is not a high priority.

By default, the controller is designed to be in Race mode. With the installation of a specially engineered wiring harness and switch, you can have instant access to all three of the programs built in to the controller; Stock, Race, and Eco.
      Now I'm confused - I asked above if there was a TTRS controller that was set to 'race' mode as a default and was told no. Now this says the controller IS in 'race' mode as a default. Which is correct? Thanks!

18. 09-29-2011 04:09 PM #19
      Now I'm confused - I asked above if there was a TTRS controller that was set to 'race' mode as a default and was told no. Now this says the controller IS in 'race' mode as a default. Which is correct? Thanks!
      Dr. Bill, my fault...the Gen.4 controller for the TT-RS is set to "race"...Gen.2 controller is set to "sport"...

My reading level is clearly sub-standard today...

19. 10-04-2011 01:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by specialkane7 View Post
      What an amazing upgrade! I kept loosing traction when in boost. Car would squat, the front would lift(I'm on air w/o e level sensors) and I'd just spin wheel. With this controller, that did not happen once this weekend at H2Oi. Amazing to feel the difference! Thanks HPA

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-04-2011 06:39 PM #21
      Dr. Bill, my fault...the Gen.4 controller for the TT-RS is set to "race"...Gen.2 controller is set to "sport"...

My reading level is clearly sub-standard today...
      Are you saying that the stock TT-RS controller is in "race" mode by default, or your aftermarket controller? I'm confused since the term "controller" seems to be used interchangeably between the stock and aftermarket controllers.

21. 10-04-2011 06:43 PM #22
      Are you saying that the stock TT-RS controller is in "race" mode by default, or your aftermarket controller? I'm confused since the term "controller" seems to be used interchangeably between the stock and aftermarket controllers.
      The HPA Gen.4 Haldex is set to "race"...

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-04-2011 07:34 PM #23
      The HPA Gen.4 Haldex is set to "race"...
      Got it, thanks. Is there any difference in these controllers compared to stock other than the default setting?

23. 10-04-2011 07:49 PM #24
      From the HPA website:

While sharing the OE and RACE modes of the Generation 2 controller, the Generation 4 controller replaces SPORT mode with ECO mode.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-04-2011 10:54 PM #25
      From the HPA website:

While sharing the OE and RACE modes of the Generation 2 controller, the Generation 4 controller replaces SPORT mode with ECO mode.

Thanks. It's still not obvious to me from your website exactly what the differences are between specific cars' OEM controller (such as the TTRS) and the HPA modified controller. For example, this plot on your site is from the Mk5 R32:

A few questions:

1) Are these curves all generated with "zero" relative wheel slip? I assume the dyno rollers are all linked to have the same rotation rate, so I assume this is all "zero" slip.

2) How do these F/R power ratios change as the wheels slip? (is there any quantitative data on this?)

3) Is this "stock" gen2 relative F/R power ratio the same as for the gen4 cars? Do all gen4 cars have the same split? e.g., does the Tiguan and the TT-RS share the same stock gen4 Haldex controller settings for F/R power ratios vs. tire slip?

Thanks.

25. 10-05-2011 01:32 PM #26
      Thanks. It's still not obvious to me from your website exactly what the differences are between specific cars' OEM controller (such as the TTRS) and the HPA modified controller. For example, this plot on your site is from the Mk5 R32:

A few questions:

1) Are these curves all generated with "zero" relative wheel slip? I assume the dyno rollers are all linked to have the same rotation rate, so I assume this is all "zero" slip.

2) How do these F/R power ratios change as the wheels slip? (is there any quantitative data on this?)

3) Is this "stock" gen2 relative F/R power ratio the same as for the gen4 cars? Do all gen4 cars have the same split? e.g., does the Tiguan and the TT-RS share the same stock gen4 Haldex controller settings for F/R power ratios vs. tire slip?

Thanks.

Sorry Marty,

HPA is not the manufacture of this article and as such, we don’t have further graphical representation for you. Haldex has been using the captures we have generated with our AWD dyno to showcase the variations available through a performance controller.

Wheel slip will generate different rates of transfer between the modes, Sport and Race commandeering a faster and more aggressive clutch engagement over OEM, but the net lock up will end up with the same delivery ratios as seen here on the Gen 2 plot we generated.

As for your third question. Yes, the fwd ratio is the same, the Gen 4 comes in three variants and offer OEM, race and ECO in the upgrade controller, Sport has been removed as Race was the preferred setting on Gen 2 platforms.
      Marcel Horn
      T: 604-888-7274
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 24 years of tuning VW's

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      10-05-2011 08:10 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by HPA motorsports 1 View Post
      Sorry Marty,

HPA is not the manufacture of this article and as such, we don’t have further graphical representation for you. Haldex has been using the captures we have generated with our AWD dyno to showcase the variations available through a performance controller.

Wheel slip will generate different rates of transfer between the modes, Sport and Race commandeering a faster and more aggressive clutch engagement over OEM, but the net lock up will end up with the same delivery ratios as seen here on the Gen 2 plot we generated.

As for your third question. Yes, the fwd ratio is the same, the Gen 4 comes in three variants and offer OEM, race and ECO in the upgrade controller, Sport has been removed as Race was the preferred setting on Gen 2 platforms.
      Thanks for the follow-up! So is a technical rep from Haldex the right person to talk to for more detail on these controllers vs. stock?

27. 10-06-2011 12:29 PM #28
      Thanks for the follow-up! So is a technical rep from Haldex the right person to talk to for more detail on these controllers vs. stock?
      This link may be helpful in answering your questions...

28. 10-11-2011 05:40 PM #29
      E-mail or IM for special pricing...ask for the "Combo deal"...

This includes:

Gen.2 or Gen.4 Haldex Controller
      Haldex Cable + Switch

Be sure to confirm which coupling your vehicle uses before ordering...

29. 10-12-2011 01:18 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
      I have this and LOVE it..I keep mine in the "Race" mode all the time.

30. 10-13-2011 03:38 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
      I recently had a chance to put my car on the HPA dyno and we looked at the F / R split in race mode. It was much closer to a 50 / 50 split - almost a single line from about 4500 on up.

31. 10-18-2011 01:45 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      I switch it up for kicks every so often.
      Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      race mode 100% since installing in '08.
      Everybody has their own preference...

Thank you to everyone that has taken advantage of the "Vortex Deal" so far!

More inventory is on the way soon...and I have a few Gen.2/4 left on the shelf if you are interested. They will go quick...

E-mail or IM me for pricing.

32. 10-20-2011 06:54 PM #33
      NEW LOWER PRICING!

Our HPA website has been updated to reflect new pricing ($100.00 lower) on our Gen. 2/4 Switchable Controllers, and our popular controller "Combos".

As part of our product mix, we are also now featuring, in addition to the Haldex cable/switch, the Haldex remote.

These remotes can be purchased separately, or as part of a Combo with the Gen.2 or Gen.4 controller.

IM or e-mail me for a quote including shipping to your destination.

33. 10-25-2011 07:34 PM #34
      As part of our product mix, we are also now featuring, in addition to the Haldex cable/switch, the Haldex remote.

These remotes can be purchased separately, or as part of a Combo with the Gen.2 or Gen.4 controller.
      Thank you for your orders!

34. 10-31-2011 04:14 PM #35
      Check out our "Combo pricing" for the purchase of a Gen.2 controller + remote OR cable/switch...$100 off...

HPA Website - Haldex Link

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast