Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Over mileage on lease.. What to do

1. 08-18-2011 11:35 AM #1
      Hey guys, site newbie here Been a long time follower, but never posted anything. Need some advice on my dilemma.

When i leased my MKVI GTI last July '10 i lived 10 miles from my job, so I figured 10k miles a year would be plenty. Well i went and got myself another job, just couldn't pass it up.. Now i'm driving about 500 miles a week. I am already over my miles on the lease, and am on track to be at least 30k over miles when I am due to turn i tin. It's not that i don't like the GTI, it's been the most reliable car i've ever owned.. so I'm on the fence.

So here is what I was thinking:

End the lease early and take a 5k bath right now and trade it in for something else.

Cars I'm looking at: AWD is a must

G37x coupe only because i get VPP through work.
      Audi S4
      Audi A5
      Or saving up a bit and pick up a Range Rover Evoque.. Like the car but LR reliability is

Another option would just be to keep the GTI and mod the hell out of it with that 5k including some snow tires to cope with the surely impending Snowmageddon part 2

OR pick up a beater for the winter to save on the miles

Your thoughts?

2. Junior Member SoCalVWGuy.com's Avatar
      08-18-2011 07:30 PM #2
      Well, if you're looking at a $5K bath now, 30,000 miles over is $6K bath. It depends on how much pain you're able to take rolled into a new car loan.
      www.SoCalVWGuy.com | www.facebook.com/SoCalVWGuy | danny@socalvwguy.com

(Also not a n00b, just haven't been on in a long long time, new username)

Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Sport (m-t) but looking for a new VW!
      08-19-2011 12:39 AM #3
      If you mod the heck out of it, don't try turning it back in that way. You'll not only be $5k poorer, but you'll also be residual + TTL poorer, too.

Go for the gusto and get an A5. It will take care of you in the winter, and in the summer.
      So let me get this straight? Your engine is 1.8-liters, and my pop is 2?

4. Senior Member
      08-19-2011 01:08 AM #4
      Just pay the overmileage charge when you turn in the car at the end of the lease.

5. 08-19-2011 11:32 AM #5
      If i mod it i'd keep it. Just hate the thought of handing someone 6k and walking away lol.

I really like the A5, it's got decent room and it has Quattro. I would have jumped all over a Golf R had it been offered with the DSG, I refuse to drive stick around here.

I wonder... I should turn my car back to another VW dealership that is affiliated with an Audi dealership. Maybe it'll be easier to work out a deal since I would be staying within the VW group family.

6. 08-19-2011 04:51 PM #6
      Used cars right now are fetching a pretty good dollar. YOu might be surprised at what they offer you.

Vehicles
      13.5 FSM GLI
      09-05-2011 01:11 AM #7
      or you could go to the dealership or call vw credit, and turn your lease into a buy and not worry about the miles at all. pretty much what i did...then trade it in whenever you're ready
      Current: 2013.5 FSM GLI

Previous: 09 DBP CC, 93 Cabby, 07 DBP GLI, 91 TR GTI 16V, 05 PG GLI....

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Don't **** with Wayne. He is crazy and likes 311.

Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      09-06-2011 04:36 PM #8
      Why not just trade the car in now and not worry about dealing with VW.

I had an 03 GTI that I was over mileage on. Ended up trading it in at a Toyota dealer for a 4Runner a couple of months before the lease was up.

The buyout on the VW was something like 13k, and they gave me $14.1k or so for the car. The extra 1k went towards the down payment for the Toyota.

No early payoff fees or other fees I had to deal with either. Of course that was in '06 so things may have changed but I doubt it.
      -Says the VW owner