I have everything listed of my build on my website, which was started last year for my S4 build. Website is www.buildmys4.com
Figured I would start one here as well...
*First let me start by saying hello as I'm new to the corrado forum. I have always wanted one since I was 16 and have come accross one I just couldn't turn away.
Car started as a G60. Now I'm doing the typical aba16vt. Running 9.1 comp ratio since it's a daily. Looking at the precision 5857 .63 ar as a turbo with a t3 flange.
Here is the story, thanks for tagging along, hope to have it running in the next 3-4 months...
Last Thursday I got a 1990 vw corrado. It is white with the red dot interior. All the power items still work perfect, the sunroof, the wing, the windows, the mirrors, etc. The motor has some issues that need to be straighted out. Cylinder 1 and 2 have a bent valve which is the cause of the 0 compression. So I bought a new cylinder head and head gasket kit along with timing belt and everything needed to do the job.
Some exterior pictures:
Some dirty interior Pictures:
The bent valves, here the lifters are stuck down:
Today I took some time to tear down the motor and see what is salvageable. Looks like the cylinder head is in need of a full rebuild, valves, guides, lifters, etc. So I'll be using a new cylinder head I purchased.
The two stuck valves...
Looks like a buildup of oil/anitfreeze in the cylinder. Possible overheat... (Before and after shots)
The new head that will be installed...
Well back in the fall Pete and I tried to get the corrado running so I could use it as a G60 daily driver. The visual damage to the engine was the cylinder head haveing two bent valves and didn't appear to have any damage to the bottom end.
So the bottom end was cleaned all up, checked the deck for any major warping and everything looked good. So we begain installation of the new cylinder head.
Everything went together pretty easy, had it done in an hour or two.
Everything was done and ready to run. Filled the car with fluids and cranked her over. After a few small adjustments of the distributer and she lived once more. Everything was assembled with assembly lube for first start. Problem is we had no oil pressure. So we shut it down right away!
What we found wasn't pretty!
The oil pickup was totally melted! Over heat was obvious. I had another used G60 oil pump laying around so we quick swapped them out and bolted the pan back up. Tried starting the car again and had good oil pressure. Later when it was dark we went out for a drive, and car was running half decent for sitting for 2-3 years. Until the we started hearing "The Knock". Yes indeed the bottom end started knocking. With it being so dark we packed it in for the night and I looked further into it the next day. Outcome was new motor.... :-(
*Here lies the problem, I'm never one to just put a stock motor back into a car if you dont know me!... ;-)
So the fun begins. Right now the car is sitting outside and part collection is the priority for this project. Been hitting up a bunch of "u pull it" yards trying to gather up all the parts I will need to make an ABA/16v turbo motor for this car. Seems to be a very cost effective solution to put some serious hp down in a shoe box. :-)
Parts collecting with Pete:
Joe jumped in as well:
Got the bottom end back to the house and started stripping it down to clean it up. The aba pistons are coming out and 9a pistons are going in. As far as the rods go, we'll see what kind of deal I can find on some...
Started ripping the motor out today.
Motor out and dirty engine bay:
Went and got a bunch of 16v stuff yesterday from someone off the vortex:
These past couple of days were spent cleaning up around the garage and pressure washing the engine bay of the corrado. Just some shots of some stuff:
Pressure washing the car:
Transmission back in the car ;-)
Both motors up on stands, ready for some work:
Ripping down the old G60 motor for parts...
Got to cleaning the block and trans today, what a greasy mess!