VEMS forum!? I didnt know such a thing existed.
Nvm. I remembered forum rules and used the search button
Last edited by 1broknrado; 05-04-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: search
Damn man, sucks this happened
My brother had a crank pulley bolt snap on his 1 week of driving his recently acquired MK3 Golf - luckily he didn't bent any valves and we had a spare crank so...
Hope its not a very big damage...
Last edited by RedYellowWhite; 05-08-2012 at 04:35 AM.
So, motor was totally locked. Steps taken:
1) Remove timing belt, top end was free.
2) Intermediate shaft was free.
3) Bottom end would not budge.
4) Drop oil pan, pieces everywhere.
~wait pieces are plastic! WTF!?
~wait where is the oil baffel? up in the crank!
5) Remove oil baffel, millions of little pieces.
6) Motor still no budge.
7) Loosen rod bearings, motor now moves.
8) plastic pieces in oil journals of crank.
9) remove rod caps. oil starved and spun bearings.
Crank seems pretty bad, don't think emery is going to clean it.
That Sucks... That crank is DONE.
why did the oil pressure drop causing the rod bearings to fail.
I would use the aftermarket windage tray/oil pan gasket and ditch the oem baffle.
Also a great idea to lock tight the oil pump bolts.
Looks like you are looking for another crank and rods?
block and pistons should be OK.... Sucks you gotta tear it all down and start again.
500HP 1990 Cowrado
Have a great Orwellian Day
Everything came together pretty good. Metal baffel is now installed along with new rod bearings. She lives again!