Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: High idle at stops >= 1k

Vehicles
      2008 DBP R32
      08-24-2011 07:56 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by vwracin86 View Post
      so when that happens what goin on with the engine? ie is it cold/ hot all the time, has it been idling for a long period of time? if it does it after idling for a period of time i could be like a evap system running/ purging and there is a fault with that system. if you have a vag- try running the evap test.
      That's what I'm trying to figure out, what is the common factor here. Nothing so far has jumped out at me. No vag-com. Fan is not on and does not kick on. Warm/cold outside, garage parked or outside parked, A/C on or off, gear position doesn't make a diff.

One note is that it doesn't happen immediately after starting. IE, the first few stops it won't happen, but once it does, it will happen again at each long stop for the rest of the drive (even after 2-3 hours of highway driving).

I am getting the sub-frame bolts replaced next week and will have the dealership investigate the following things based upon feedback in this thread:
      -vacuum leaks
      -battery status

I need to keep this limited as this issue is a black box to the shop, even if they can reproduce it in a tech test drive and I will be charged for diagnosis time.

And just to note again, I have no mods except a disconnected and plugged flapper vacuum tube and AFE panel lifetime air filter. All maintenance should be up to date AFAIK.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      08-24-2011 07:57 PM #72
      Has anyone stopped to think it may or may not have to do with the tachometer gauge(s) acting up? Probably the least likely culprit but you never know.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

Vehicles
      2008 DBM R32 # 3783, 2009 GLI
      08-24-2011 08:17 PM #73
      ^ No, increase in idle speed is very audible and adds vibration when it happens, (at least to me).

OK 1 small item I left out, I added 6 oz's of Marvel Mystery Oil when I fixed the loose CAI clamps and checked the connections under the hood.
      Probably not important, but I run it thru the fuel system about once/month, (3 tanks/month is all I use normally). I've used this stuff since I started driving, (46 years ago) at my dad's advice, always keeps the fuel system pretty clean & haven't ever had an issue with any vehicle....
      personal experience, you may not care!

As of today, running perfectly, not a hint of anything, I even tried tapping the accelerator pedal at 4 stops in a row to trigger it - Nothing, dead steady 650 rpm idle is back.

I firmly believe it's a vacuum leak in my case, but all other hypothesis are legitimate possibilities guys....

I'm giving the R to the lead footed test driver tomorrow - (wife) and she if she can trigger it....

I will be driving Das Boost, which now has a license plate frame that says that!

Always a surprise to drive 310 ft lbs after the R... sudden wheelspin is not part of the r life....

Vehicles
      B5 S4, MkV R32, W203 C240, W123 300D Turbo, W210 E320 4Matic
      08-24-2011 08:42 PM #74
      I'll just add again that for me, it only happens after I've parked outside all day...never after leaving from my garage.

Luckily, it seems to have gone away again on its own...for now.
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.
      Help us with suspension specs!
      Vag Evolution: MkI Rabbit -> MkII 16v GTI -> B5 S4/MkV .:R32

Vehicles
      Previous cars are listed on Wikipedia...
      08-24-2011 09:44 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Slave IV View Post
      I'll just add again that for me, it only happens after I've parked outside all day...never after leaving from my garage.

Luckily, it seems to have gone away again on its own...for now.
      I still think this is just how the car is...
      .:R32 #1828 DBP H&R Sports H&R RSB other tid bits...
      Quote Originally Posted by exodus20 View Post
      U da damn police, bet u got a fake badge damn mall cop to entirely VW
      Quote Originally Posted by xalfa View Post
      Dumb lurker would probably be appropriate for me, but I'm going to go with "gotti flame bitch"
      http://www.performanceleds.com/

Vehicles
      08 R32
      08-24-2011 11:23 PM #76
      eh im still leaning towards the evap maybe. a vacuum leak would be a more constant thing, unless the hose has completely collapsed on it self sealing off, but that would open back up after doing some full throttle pulls
      Denounced by PSU

Vehicles
      '08/VW/.:R32 TR #854
      08-25-2011 02:53 PM #77
      Please, BE CAREFUL: don't do this inside a building, have disaster materials handy (fire extinguisher, etc.), don't do it alone, have the other person stand away from you and the car in case bad stuff happens.

You can confirm you have a vacuum leak by using propane around the fittings. Let the gas out around the suspect fittings and if the idle increases then you are in the area of the leak.

Other explosive/combustible gases beside propane work too.

AGAIN, playing with combustible gasses around internal combustion engines is dangerous!!! Use extreme caution and think about what you are doing and where you are doing. Internet Darwin Awards are only funny when it’s not you!

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 02:58 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by vwracin86 View Post
      eh im still leaning towards the evap maybe. a vacuum leak would be a more constant thing, unless the hose has completely collapsed on it self sealing off, but that would open back up after doing some full throttle pulls
      Full throttle pulls would likely make it worse, collapsing the hose further as more air is demanded (higher RPM) and creating more heat thus weakling the hose more. Shutting of the motor would make it better by removing vacuum.

Vehicles
      Mk5 3.2 / Mk5 1.9
      08-25-2011 03:43 PM #79
      charging system

PM me when you figure it out, so you can tell me I'm right.
      insert cheap credibility statement here...

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 07:47 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by ncraba01 View Post
      Please, BE CAREFUL: don't do this inside a building, have disaster materials handy (fire extinguisher, etc.), don't do it alone, have the other person stand away from you and the car in case bad stuff happens.

You can confirm you have a vacuum leak by using propane around the fittings. Let the gas out around the suspect fittings and if the idle increases then you are in the area of the leak.

Other explosive/combustible gases beside propane work too.

AGAIN, playing with combustible gasses around internal combustion engines is dangerous!!! Use extreme caution and think about what you are doing and where you are doing. Internet Darwin Awards are only funny when it’s not you!
      Who invited Yyrds mom...
      Dumb lurker would probably be appropriate for me, but I'm going to go with "gotti flame bitch"

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 08:08 PM #81
      another bogus guess/shot in the dark! - charging system umm no, mine was spot on, battery passed load test....

Fixing my vacuum leak seems to have done it....
      Maria Andretti, (the wife) beat on it today and pronounced it an awesome fun car that ran perfectly ....

I was forced to drive the GLI - OMG torque & boost are really fun!!!

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 08:25 PM #82
      If it comes back again, I'm going to check my air filter again...may have not sealed properly when I opened it to check right after my Mech service.
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.

Vehicles
      2001 gti glx vr6, 1989 s10
      08-25-2011 10:23 PM #83
      I was driving today and mine did the same exact thing. I then stopped at a store came back out and my battery was dead. I then pushed start it to get it home. While I was driving the alternator light flashed on. This is on my mk4 vr6 Gti btw. I know on old cars if u unhook the battery while running and it stalls its the alternator I did that and it shut right off. Not sure if it does that regardless

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

14. Member
      Vehicles
      VW MKV R32
      08-25-2011 10:44 PM #84
      Mine also started doing this. I have under 30k and recently had the Mechatronic recall done.

It seems random here. Sometimes it happens when I first start the car and sometimes when sitting at a light.

Glad to at least know I am not alone here.

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 11:32 PM #85
      It's like a focus group in here...

Vehicles
      08-25-2011 11:56 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by gottiR32 View Post
      Who invited Yyrds mom...
      I'm not your mom. If I were your mom, here are just a few things you would know already:
      • Spelling
      • Its not nice to post just to see your post count go up
      • You missed the gift of humor (at least in this thread)
      • If you haven't got anything nice/productive to say, keep your comments to yourself.

Hope you get your issues resolved!

Vehicles
      08-26-2011 07:54 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by ncraba01 View Post
      I'm not your mom. If I were your mom, here are just a few things you would know already:
      • Spelling
      • Its not nice to post just to see your post count go up
      • You missed the gift of humor (at least in this thread)
      • If you haven't got anything nice/productive to say, keep your comments to yourself.

Hope you get your issues resolved!
      I said nothing about my mom, I don't post to watch my count go up...and spelling??? The other two are not important because if you don't like what I say then you can goto a different forum and preach saftey...

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      08-26-2011 12:23 PM #88
      Be nice to the gotti.

Vehicles
      08-26-2011 02:27 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by BetaOp9 View Post
      Be nice to the gotti.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      MkV R32 #1847 (Tornado Red), 2004 Turbo Beetle
      08-28-2011 05:04 AM #90
      Well, I'll just add my 2.02 exchange-adjusted cents.

I'm at 28,000mi and have also experienced the 'random high idle at stop', usually once or twice a week during morning or evening commuting. It does *seem* to be more frequent since my mechatronics recall which was just 2 months ago.

So.. the checklist of possibilities so far is:

-vacuum leak
      -battery test for voltage drop
      -???
      -PROFIT

Vehicles
      09-01-2011 04:37 PM #91
      My car has been fine lately but I had to stop by at my tech's shop this morning for something so I had him check it out. Scanned my car and nothing showed up...car has a perfect history with no issues. I asked him about the vacuum leak and voltage and he said he thinks it is related to vacuum/a booster hose and not anything electrical. Difficult to go any further since my car has not had the issue in a while and I had to leave for work but I'm confident now that it must be related to a vacuum leak because my tech is the best I've ever met at diagnosing these cars. Hope someone who has the issue more frequently can get a dealer to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

Vehicles
      09-06-2011 02:03 PM #92
      After 2 weeks of no problem, it's back.

Every stop this morning it went from 650 to 1,000 and stayed there....

I am going to have the Tech go over it as we are driving it to Boston in 24 days.....

Otherwise runs flawlessly with great power etc.

I will update when I find something

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      09-06-2011 02:15 PM #93
      its the he.:Rps

sorry guys!
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

24. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 R32 #2575, 1999.5 Cabrio
      09-07-2011 01:11 PM #94
      Hey everyone,

When I first read this thread I figured it was just normal idling while running ac but apparently I didn't read it well enough. Not much sooner after reading this thread I had my 40k mile service done and wouldn't you know it, I've noticed the higher idle at stops.

So, just to basically agree with everyone in this thread that I've been having the same "symptoms". I drive 100 miles a day for work, my car sits outside overnight, and an hour drive to work where it sits for a good 13 hours. So far outside air temps haven't seem to have made a difference or ac on off. Car is always at normal operating temps by the time it starts happening, and just like everyone else has said, it lasts for a good 20-30 seconds and once it happens it's pretty much certain that it will happen again.

I plan to take some time and run through the ideas mentioned thus far like the battery and vacuum lines. Maybe once mother nature decides to take a break from bashing upstate ny (earthquake, hurricanes, flooding, and even tornados) I'll have some time to give her a good once over. Oh, and before I forget, but I know it seems to be of no importance with this issue, my car is mostly stock with the exception of a neuspeed intake and exhaust.

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI ; 2012 VW Golf TDI - 4DR 6MT
      09-07-2011 01:16 PM #95
      Sorry all; Just wanted to add this for firepower if you need it with the dealership:

My car is now approaching 91,000 miles and has never done this once in it's life to date... Hot or cold, rain or shine it idles at 650-700 tops, even with AC on.

So if they try to tell you it's normal, tell them about the 91,000 mile R32 and what normal means
      -Jason
      '12 TDI 6M with "stuff"
      Drive a Diesel?
      Underwraps Automotive

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      09-07-2011 01:55 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Saabstory02 View Post
      Sorry all; Just wanted to add this for firepower if you need it with the dealership:

My car is now approaching 91,000 miles and has never done this once in it's life to date... Hot or cold, rain or shine it idles at 650-700 tops, even with AC on.

So if they try to tell you it's normal, tell them about the 91,000 mile R32 and what normal means
      +1, but i'm only at 59k. not once.

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 02:06 PM #97
      check these MKIV R threads...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/search.php?searchid=13355910

they suggest its a MAF or hose connection problem
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 02:21 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      check these MKIV R threads...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/search.php?searchid=13355910

they suggest its a MAF or hose connection problem
      Your link didn't work but that's exactly what my tech said and the area he checked on my car...it just hasn't done it in a while so not much more to check.

Interesting there is another case of it coming up only after dealer service..I should've just stayed away from the dealer but I had to have the mech recall done there

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 02:52 PM #99
      just search high idle in the other R forum.. you will see what I was pointing to.

not sure why the link borked.

maybe its me!
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 08:31 PM #100
      OK, more food for thought::

My tech found, no vacuum leaks
      No loose electrical connections
      No charging system anomalies
      No oil on MAF
      No coil or plug problems

What he did find was;

wait for it.........................

Out of spec parameters for the MAF at idle, so he ordered me a new one which should be in in 1-3 days and we'll see what that does.

I also agree with Abe, this is NOT NORMAL, my car never did it once in it's first 25,380 miles....
      and my Tech assures me it shouldn't ever do it unless there is an issue....

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 08:39 PM #101
      Now I'm wondering...would the dealer have to move the MAF for a Mechatronic, haldex and dsg service? Wonder why this only happened after visiting the dealer for a couple of us.

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 09:02 PM #102
      This has nothing to do with the haldex service, wrong end of the car Slave

If anything it's due to the removal of the airbox for the DSG filter, or they funked a hose when doing so.... Or your alternators are going bunk.
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 09:04 PM #103
      If anything it's due to the removal of the airbox for the DSG filter, or they funked a hose when doing so....
      This sounds highly likely

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      09-07-2011 09:08 PM #104
      Now I'm wondering...would the dealer have to move the MAF for a Mechatronic, haldex and dsg service? Wonder why this only happened after visiting the dealer for a couple of us.
      If anything it's due to the removal of the airbox for the DSG filter...
      This sounds highly likely
      You're the one who asked if the dealer would have to touch the MAF for any specific service. He answered you...you make no sense.

Vehicles
      09-07-2011 09:25 PM #105
      Do I have a groupie or something?
      He answered and I agreed...do I have to explain something to you more clearly than that?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast