Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Dome light not working with Drivers Side Door

08-21-2011 02:29 AM #1
      My dome light isn't coming on when I open my door. Not a big deal but its starting to get annoying. It works fine when I open the passenger side door. I'm assuming I need to ripe the door panel off and just look. Any suggestions?

On a side note I just bought this vehicle. It has a Clifford Alarm system that seems to be doing wierd things. Key fob won't unlock, alarm going off random times. I don't think they're related, just thought I would add that...

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Golf GL
      08-21-2011 05:49 AM #2
      Same issue. Both front doors do not turn on the dome light when opened. Both back doors do it everytime... help would be appreciated.

3. Banned
      Vehicles
      1997 vw jetta trekk II
      08-21-2011 06:02 AM #3
      alarm wouldnt mess with that not on only one door theres a switch on each door for the courtesy light check connection for power with door open power should pass through the switch if no replace simple

08-21-2011 07:34 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 97trekker View Post
      alarm wouldnt mess with that not on only one door theres a switch on each door for the courtesy light check connection for power with door open power should pass through the switch if no replace simple

Check your door switch

And they actually are related. If your door switch is bad, the car might think it's being stolen and set the alarm off.
      Last edited by xStacks; 08-21-2011 at 07:36 PM.
      "I think my position on EGR in general is well known. EGR is like putting a hose in your butt and breathing it. Not good."

Vehicles
      A Yugo and a mule
      08-21-2011 07:41 PM #5
      If the switch is bad, the car can't tell when the door is opened. I have a bad door switch on my car's driver door, and the dome light behaves the same way. If you unlock the car, it usually gives you 30 seconds to either open a door or put the keys in the ignition. If you don't do either of these, your alarm will re-arm. The door switch is located in the jamb; it looks like a little rubber button. Check the wiring to it.

A quick test would be to see if the "door open light" comes on in your cluster if you open the driver's side door with the car running.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sodomythical Frostgoat View Post
      **** off Timmy, I'm trying to break someone's spirit here, jesus.
      If you use the term "hater," I'm just going to assume you came out with the cord wrapped around your neck.

08-22-2011 01:53 AM #6
      Didn't do any trouble shooting. Just went ahead and purchased a new door jam switch. They weren't really cheap from any stores and I couldn't find them through ecs, summit, or mjm. I found that Ebay was the cheapest. Just search VW door switch. Some people should be selling used ones. Thought I would post some pics...

As for the system, BB suggested I get a new key fob because since everything except for the unlock button was working it could be broken. Worth a shot cheaper then them checking out the system and telling me I need a new one.
      --97 GTI Drivers Edition [ Photos | Specs ]

"Step 1 ... Collect underpants"

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Golf GL
      08-22-2011 07:27 PM #7
      Thanks for the pics. I thought that was the door switch but I wasn't positive. I will definitely get those ordered and taken car of. Access it by just removing the interior trim piece?

Vehicles
      Too many
      08-22-2011 07:36 PM #8