Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New 2011 Tiguan SE Transmission Failure

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SE
      08-21-2011 07:49 PM #1
      Got my Tiguan SE at the end of July and had a transmission failure this weekend. Was turning left at a light and transmission failed. Engine was revving, but no traction. Finally got to a safe location and D, S and R gears were no responsive. Catalytic converter light came on as well as the Wrench icon at the top left of the information panel.

Waited two hours for VW roadside assistance and Tiguan is sitting at the dealership to be looked at tomorrow morning.

Needless to say, very distressed. Haven't even made my first payment yet and got stranded in the middle of a busy street.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

You can check the video on You Tube http://youtu.be/0lzfAtP-31c

2. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      08-21-2011 07:55 PM #2
      Yes, it sucks, but overall this is a rare occurrence. Let the dealer do what they get paid to do, make it right.

Vehicles
      '12 Tiguan SE
      08-21-2011 08:32 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by srboening View Post
      Got my Tiguan SE at the end of July and had a transmission failure this weekend. Was turning left at a light and transmission failed. Engine was revving, but no traction. Finally got to a safe location and D, S and R gears were no responsive. Catalytic converter light came on as well as the Wrench icon at the top left of the information panel.

Waited two hours for VW roadside assistance and Tiguan is sitting at the dealership to be looked at tomorrow morning.

Needless to say, very distressed. Haven't even made my first payment yet and got stranded in the middle of a busy street.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

You can check the video on You Tube http://youtu.be/0lzfAtP-31c
      That is crappy luck bro but I am sure it is a rare thing as the previous poster stated. It is at the dealer now and you should be back in her in no time hopefully.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SE
      08-22-2011 11:57 AM #4
      Just talked to the dealership and they are saying it is a faulty transmission heat sensor. Part has to be ordered so should be two to three days before I can get it back. Not much luck Googling "transmission heat sensor", but found several articles about the sensor recall that impacted vehicles with the DSG transmission, which I don't have. But the breakdown scenario is exactly what happened to me.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8378724

If anyone has any comments, please post. I'm not much of a gearhead and would like some opinions from those with more mechanical knowledge.

Thanks for your help!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      08-22-2011 03:13 PM #5
      the automatic transmission has a temperature sensor that will prevent damage due to overheating. It's a super idea the save transmission. i have to say you are the first one on any of the VW forums I have followed in 4 years to ever experience the effect of the sensor, either through failure or overheating. i suspect under normal operation, it just puts the engine in limp mode (no power, 35MHP limit) until cool. but in your case, with bad data getting to the transmission controller, it had no choice but to shut down. Yet another fail safe we did not know about.