Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: .:Shaved Bay Information Resource Thread:.

Vehicles
      03 325i
      09-28-2011 10:02 AM #141
      You will get false knock detects and the crank sensor might lose sync at odd times. It's more likely to be noticeable with the crank sensor during fast accelerations where decoding is more critical.

The foil shield should be tied to the drain conductor (braided wire). Odd yours were not grounded, it could just have been age taking its toll. I have a few harnesses here that I can check and see if they are the same way.
      -Paul
      1995 GTI VR6 - Retired - 12.90@106 R32 power - 12.833@106 12v power
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Vehicles
      MK5 .:R
      09-28-2011 01:37 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      You will need some form of overflow if it is a daily.
      Just wondering as to why you would need an overflow?

3. Member
      09-28-2011 01:42 PM #143
      just in case, or you leave it overflow onto the ground, whatever you want. it shouldn't really be getting to the point that its always doing it though but it can happen

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wagon
      09-28-2011 02:14 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by Afazz View Post
      I thought this conversation was familiar; we discussed this over PMs back in 6/2010. The shielding in my car was not tied to ground, the ground twisted with the O2/crank/knock sensors is not a shield. I have run my motor since then, it seemed to run fine from idle through redline but not under load (just running, not driving). If there was a signal noise issue, wouldn't it stall or stumble at some point through the rev range even free-revving?
      No, your ecu calculates load by the tps and crank sensor, without the system properly grounded it will send an inaccurate signal to the pcm, causing a dead petal or a miss. You have live data on your scan tool afaz?
      LAMY'S PERFORMANCE

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '94 Jetta, '08 Rabbit, '12 Chevy 2500HD
      09-28-2011 02:41 PM #145
      My sensors are all grounded, just not shielded. I'm a mechanical guy so really I just reverse-engineered the OEM wiring, I saw that the "shield" in my car was not grounded on either side. Because the OEM "shield" wasn't actually a shield, I didn't shield my knock and crank sensors. I don't have a scan tool at all right now, can I view live data with a VAGCOM? It's an early OBD1 car without the true OBD plug.

Worst case scenario, I will build a knock sensor/crank position sensor harness. I can use one plug for all 6 wires + 2 shields through the bottom of the firewall near the shift linkage. I have the harness drawn up, I just would rather not spend the $200 if the car runs without the true shields. This is the conclusion need_a_vr6 and I came to when we talked over PM; try it as-is and build a new harness if I need to.

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wagon
      09-28-2011 03:59 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by Afazz View Post
      My sensors are all grounded, just not shielded. I'm a mechanical guy so really I just reverse-engineered the OEM wiring, I saw that the "shield" in my car was not grounded on either side. Because the OEM "shield" wasn't actually a shield, I didn't shield my knock and crank sensors. I don't have a scan tool at all right now, can I view live data with a VAGCOM? It's an early OBD1 car without the true OBD plug.

Worst case scenario, I will build a knock sensor/crank position sensor harness. I can use one plug for all 6 wires + 2 shields through the bottom of the firewall near the shift linkage. I have the harness drawn up, I just would rather not spend the $200 if the car runs without the true shields. This is the conclusion need_a_vr6 and I came to when we talked over PM; try it as-is and build a new harness if I need to.
      You and I should converse via text message... I feel like you would be a very ample fountain of knowledge as i'm planning this... where is it your located again? Pm Me.
      LAMY'S PERFORMANCE

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wagon
      09-28-2011 04:02 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Lamy207 View Post
      You and I should converse via text message... I feel like you would be a very ample fountain of knowledge as i'm planning this... where is it your located again? Pm Me.
      As in what part of Pittsburgh
      LAMY'S PERFORMANCE

Vehicles
      03 325i
      09-28-2011 06:44 PM #148
      Yeah I remeber us talkinh about it now. One of those things where its a fine line between totally fine and potential problems, especially intermittent ones.
      -Paul
      MK3 Race Car Partout

9. 09-28-2011 10:40 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      You will get false knock detects and the crank sensor might lose sync at odd times. It's more likely to be noticeable with the crank sensor during fast accelerations where decoding is more critical.

The foil shield should be tied to the drain conductor (braided wire). Odd yours were not grounded, it could just have been age taking its toll. I have a few harnesses here that I can check and see if they are the same way.

Remember me asking about anyone getting false knock, and experimenting with knock spacers?

Then about the car shutting off randomly at WOT for a split second.

Yeah, it was from the harness I made. Added the shielding from a stock harness, and its gone.

Also, the way I had the rear knock sensor wiring hidden, it was very close to the plugwires. After the wiring, it all but went away. New plug wires, and its now all gone.

10. 09-28-2011 10:55 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by rollinslow95 View Post
      Just wondering as to why you would need an overflow?

Water/coolant expands when hot. If the system is a closed system, you will blow the weakest joint, when the pressure gets high enough, hence the need for a pressure relief (AKA: Rad cap.)

This happens all the time while driving. On a show car, trailer queen, its not that big of a deal.

But on a daily, everytime the system gets hot enough, and pressure builds, coolant has to be displaced from the system, so it leaves through the over flow spout on the radcap adapter.

If there is no overflow, it will just leave coolant all over your bay.

A GOOD overflow setup, will recirculate the coolant. It will have the coolant source connected to the bottom, so that if the cooling system is low, the rad cap is open, and there is enough coolant in the overflow to provide enough force, gravity/weight of the coolant in the overflow will push coolant back into the system, self burping it of air.

With out a overflow, you need to constantly check/worry about where your coolant level is/how much you have lost, and you have no good way to check.

Vehicles
      VR6, 1.8T, 2ZR-FE
      09-28-2011 11:09 PM #151
      Are the systems with pressure correct caps on built in end-tanks (ie, Scirocco rads) insufficient for using as an overflow/pressure release system then?
      dasjettakartell - transcend trend - connoisseurism before consumerism

12. 09-28-2011 11:18 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_curry View Post
      Are the systems with pressure correct caps on built in end-tanks (ie, Scirocco rads) insufficient for using as an overflow/pressure release system then?

I have never seen one.

But if it is like most VW cooling systems, it isn't an overflow. Most VW's use an expansion tank from the factory. Much better setup then a overflow, but ALOT harder to hide/plumb in a shaved bay then a simple overflow.

Also, not saying you HAVE to have an overflow on a daily, but I like to do everything right the first time, and not have to mess with it later. If constantly checking/hoping/cleaning is your thing, go ahead and don't run one. On a car I put 30k on a year, and rely on to get me to work everyday, that is not possible.

And if you EVER plan on going to the track, you better have one.

13. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      09-28-2011 11:33 PM #153
      You can run a 'cap only' system (like the stock early mk1) as long as it's the high point.
      -Paul
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Vehicles
      MK5 .:R
      09-29-2011 12:38 AM #154
      Water/coolant expands when hot. If the system is a closed system, you will blow the weakest joint, when the pressure gets high enough, hence the need for a pressure relief (AKA: Rad cap.)

This happens all the time while driving. On a show car, trailer queen, its not that big of a deal.

But on a daily, everytime the system gets hot enough, and pressure builds, coolant has to be displaced from the system, so it leaves through the over flow spout on the radcap adapter.

If there is no overflow, it will just leave coolant all over your bay.

A GOOD overflow setup, will recirculate the coolant. It will have the coolant source connected to the bottom, so that if the cooling system is low, the rad cap is open, and there is enough coolant in the overflow to provide enough force, gravity/weight of the coolant in the overflow will push coolant back into the system, self burping it of air.

With out a overflow, you need to constantly check/worry about where your coolant level is/how much you have lost, and you have no good way to check.
      Great info, I do realize that it expands as it heats and understand the point of releasing pressure in the system, but looking into older systems that do not use an overflow or expansion tank, and thus just using a pressure cap, is there any way to incorporate that type of system into our cars? like need_a_vr6 stated, being that it would be made the highest point(aka:fitting a different style upper rad hose to make the inline cap sit above the radiator line)

On a side note, i want to talk more about hiding, moving, and modifying charchol canisters. Where do most people move them to? Maybe give an option for emissions required and non emission required area. Ive always wandered about this modification.
      Last edited by rollinslow95; 09-29-2011 at 12:44 AM.

15. 09-29-2011 01:24 AM #155
      What gauge wire should be used in the bay?

Vehicles
      95 VR6 Turbo + 09 JSW TDI
      09-29-2011 03:05 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      You can run a 'cap only' system (like the stock early mk1) as long as it's the high point.
      This... the highest point is the main focus of any coolant system. Reason why I am just going back tot he stock coolant bottle (brand new it will look clean) shaved? no. But clean and functions properly, yes.

There are some good examples out there of custom coolant overflow tanks though, I snapped a few pics at waterfest this year. I could post them if anyone is interested.

Also can someone show me exactly this 'shielding' you speak of? I am wondering if I have this issue as well.
      - Chris

8380labs.com ..... LugTronic

autocrat.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 08:47 AM #157
      Here is a picture of shielded wire. The wires carrying the signal are wrapped in a conductive sleeve, either foil as shown here or a woven braid. The shield is grounded, which reduces electrical noise and makes for a cleaner signal. Other things in the bay create "noise," like ignition coils and plug wires.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 08:54 AM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by rollinslow95 View Post
      On a side note, i want to talk more about hiding, moving, and modifying charchol canisters. Where do most people move them to? Maybe give an option for emissions required and non emission required area. Ive always wandered about this modification.
      A lot of people just delete them, I built a new one because I didn't want fuel smell and wanted to pass emissions. I kept the OEM OBD1 location under the frame rail, but the stock canister was too long and would have hit the ground. I could have shortened the stock one, but I like making things.

The OBD2 style are a little harder because they're above the tire, they can hit if you're really low. In some ways that helps because they're already hidden, but you have to relocate the plumbing.

Vehicles
      Tractor, Moped & 4x4
      09-29-2011 11:09 AM #159
      Anthony great seeing you at h2o.. I can't wait to see this thing in person
      Crooked Euros- My couch pulls out, but I don't

Vehicles
      09-29-2011 11:37 AM #160
      Afazz.. is there some sort of aftermarket shielding we can get for the wires? I guess I am confused if this was something built into the wires themselves or an external shield?
      - Chris

autocrat.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      09-29-2011 11:47 AM #161
      You can buy shielding braid separately, this can be used if you're building a harness with your own heat shrink.
      http://cableorganizer.com/metal-braided-sleeving/

Or you can buy shielded wire, this is much easier.
      http://order.waytekwire.com/products...20And%20Cable/

These guys sell milspec stuff
      http://www.p-r-s.com/Catalog%202007/PRS%20Wire.pdf

I have not used either of those products specifically, but similar types. The other guys in here might be able to get you a more specific product recommendation for shielded wire.

Coby good seeing you too! Stop out sometime and check it out

Vehicles
      '96 Jetta Trek 16v '02 WRX '89 CBR600
      09-30-2011 06:16 AM #162
      im interested in redoing my whole bays wiring.
      its already 90% tucked when i swapped in my 9a 16v and converted to megasquirt

id like to use one of the fancy mil-spec connectors you have afazz
      where could i acquire one of those?

ive got a cool idea i would like to try
      MK3 16v Club
      Making power, 4 valves at a time

Buy my MK3!!

23. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      09-30-2011 07:21 PM #163
      I have used braid in the past but unless you need to use it for a specific reason, the shielded, twisted pair cables are better. It can be tough to find in the right temp rating and chem resistance shielded cable. So keep an eye on that when choosing.
      -Paul
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Vehicles
      88 Triple white cabby,87 16v gti,91 jetta auto, 96 jetta 2.0l, 97 jetta 2.0, 99.5 jetta 2.0
      10-01-2011 07:09 AM #164
      This threads the best. Anyone have some input on using 2.0l wiring? I have almost everything to build a 16v abf clone. It seems most people only talk about shaving the bay on a VR6. Thanks for making this thread, I plan to use it alot this winter!

Vehicles
      mk4 vr, mk3 R swap
      10-01-2011 03:53 PM #165
      Very nice I like!
      I'm going to be shaving my bay for my 24v swap here soon. Many awful cell pics to come lol
      Pure Motorworks
      Vr6 Skid plate pan master, Message me.

10-01-2011 07:48 PM #166
      On the VR6, part of the wiring harness is on the firewall at the top. It just goes across the engine bay from right to left. I am thinking of disconnecting that harness and rerouting it into the rain tray. Will I need to wrap all that wiring in additional cover because of the water that gets in the rain tray?

Engine pic that is going to get half-shaved.....

Vehicles
      98 Gti vrt
      10-04-2011 03:39 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by pubahs View Post
      This... the highest point is the main focus of any coolant system. Reason why I am just going back tot he stock coolant bottle (brand new it will look clean) shaved? no. But clean and functions properly, yes.

There are some good examples out there of custom coolant overflow tanks though, I snapped a few pics at waterfest this year. I could post them if anyone is interested.
      pics i would like to delete my factory coolant bubble but still wanna have a overflow of some sort
      VRT on air
      OPEN ROAD TUNING
      Built not bought
      instagram: kyle_w_

Vehicles
      95 GTI VR6 TURBO
      10-04-2011 06:31 PM #168
      anybody have a recommendation who can shave a good bay in new england

Vehicles
      2001 jetta wagon
      10-04-2011 08:22 PM #169
      I can help you out. Pm me
      LAMY'S PERFORMANCE

Vehicles
      10-05-2011 12:30 AM #170
      Great example of an overflow IMO.. could be slightly higher up though

- Chris

autocrat.

Vehicles
      '99 Silver Arrow '01 B5 A4
      10-05-2011 01:16 AM #171
      You can remove the FCM, all its wiring, ect, which gets rid of almost 1/4 of the bays wiring.

This is my entire fan wiring setup. It is easily hidden, and uses the stock fan/fanswitch.

He seems to be speaking of the heater core though, which most people with shaved bays don't run anymore. It takes ALOT more work to do it "right" and have full functionality. (Ala Afazz. )
      how exactly do you have this rigged up?
      SFSC
      Kiss the ground

Car Whore.

32. Member
      10-05-2011 01:36 AM #172
      that looks like an inline filler with an overflow tube running to the ground

all that work and he left the a/c lines sticking out of the firewall??

Vehicles
      95 cabrio
      10-05-2011 01:44 AM #173
      i wish i had someone i could pay to do it on the west coast mine is scaring me.
      Project Mayhem cabrio widebody build
      My old rides bluersvento etc
      valuable lessons can be learned from a humbled man

10-05-2011 05:14 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by harlequin80 View Post
      that looks like an inline filler with an overflow tube running to the ground

all that work and he left the a/c lines sticking out of the firewall??
      I saw that too. What I'm thinking is that he normally has AC working on his car but removes it for big car shows or something....

Vehicles
      10-05-2011 05:58 PM #175
      Esp. since he made a custom cover plate for it as well, with chrome acorn nuts as well. Nice finishing touches.

Those AC lines polish up nicely too!
      - Chris

autocrat.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast