Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2012 Jetta Bluetooth Microphone issue and fix

1. 08-24-2011 07:57 PM #1
      I ended up posting this in a post asking about the Fender Audio System in the 2012's but I thought that now that I have a fix, I would post a new thread explaining how.

Issue:

In 2012 they changed the overhead console. They removed the 3 blutooth control buttons and the adjacent microphone grill's. They then moved the microphone between the map light buttons and courtesy light switch. The microphone is now located behind a plastic panel with no holes for the sound to travel through. I use my Bluetooth constantly and have heard the following complaints: sounds like you're talking through: a plastic cup, a glass of water, my hand, my a**, etc, etc.

The fix:

I have since remedied the issue by drilling holes in the panel. It now works great. No complaints from anyone about muffled sound. I'm disappointed that I had to resolve it myself as the dealer was not interested because they don't have an authorized fix from VW yet. But it works well and I think it looks decent.

Instructions on what to do if you like what you see:

1. Remove the clear plastic light panel. Pry and pull down on the front and the panel will pop out.

2. Remove the 2 torx screws that hold the light panel and buttons in place. NOTE: Be careful not to touch your torx driver to the dome light terminal as this will blow a fuse in your panel, and when you go looking for a fuse diagram in your owners manual you will find that it was not available at the time of printing.

3. Pull down on and remove the light panel. You will need to unplug the light plug and remove the microphone from the panel in order to remove the panel from the car. The microphone is the little black rectangular box surrounded by 3 plastic clips. Spread these clips apart CAREFULLY and pull the microphone out.

4. Now time to drill your holes. I tossed around the idea of a bunch of little holes, or 1 big one, or 2 medium ones. I wanted it to look good, but still be as functional as possible. I decided on 2 - 3/8" holes in line. I used a 1/2" uni-bit, started from the back side of the panel with the initial 1/8" of the bit. Then I flipped it over and finished the drilling from the front side. I drilled down to the 3/8" size and then did a mild countersink with the 7/16" of the bit.

5. Clean up any burrs, and reinstall everything in the reverse order.

I hope this is helpful to folks. And that VW remedies this issue soon. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Here's a picture to show what I did to resolve the issue (note the 2 - 3/8" holes next to the right side map light button):

2. 08-24-2011 10:29 PM #2
      Looks like it belongs there. good job, nice write up!

Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI Autobahn, 2003 GTI 20th Anni (For Sale), 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T P+
      08-24-2011 11:31 PM #3
      Is this the same overhead console on the 2012 GTI? What a big fail by VW.

Answered my own question. This pic is what the GTI has except it shares the same sunroof nob.

Last edited by Crzypdilly; 08-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Vehicles
      askavwsalesguy.com
      08-25-2011 01:10 AM #4

5. 08-26-2011 07:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Crzypdilly View Post
      Is this the same overhead console on the 2012 GTI? What a big fail by VW.

Answered my own question. This pic is what the GTI has except it shares the same sunroof nob.

You can see the Microphone through the grille on the right hand side below the sunglass cubbie in the pic of the GTI overhead console. That 1/2" by 1 1/2" or so black rectangle that you can see behind the grille is the microphone. I don't understand why they felt the need to use a different panel in the Jetta vs. the GTI, but whatever.

I just picked up my Jetta from the dealer today and they applauded my fix. They apologized, but said that they can't do anything with the car unless VW has an official fix for the issues. I hope they come up with something soon, because that is very disappointing.

Thanks for the kind words.
      Last edited by WRJC2002; 08-26-2011 at 07:49 PM.

6. 08-27-2011 02:06 AM #6
      What trim is your Jetta? I have a 2012 SEL that has an overhead console that is similar to the 2012 GTI, and looks nothing like yours. The complaints about my bluetooth is that there is way too much noise from the car being picked up by the microphone and no one can hear me.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      08-28-2011 07:39 AM #7
      Off topic a bit, but does this mean you dont have the "red ambiant" led lights either? as nights when the dash lights are on, i get the red glow around the gear and cup holders. I dont see the lights in the overhead panel.
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

8. 08-28-2011 09:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by zooglah View Post
      What trim is your Jetta? I have a 2012 SEL that has an overhead console that is similar to the 2012 GTI, and looks nothing like yours. The complaints about my bluetooth is that there is way too much noise from the car being picked up by the microphone and no one can hear me.
      My Jetta is a TDI DSG Premium with Nav. Not sure about SEL, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Focus View Post
      Off topic a bit, but does this mean you dont have the "red ambiant" led lights either? as nights when the dash lights are on, i get the red glow around the gear and cup holders. I dont see the lights in the overhead panel.
      I don't believe there are any red ambiant lights, no. Both my brother's 2006 and my mom's 2010 have those, but not mine. Oh well.

9. 08-28-2011 10:36 PM #9
      I have a 2012 TDI w/premium and its pretty different than this. I need to look at mine again and see if I have holes or a grill or not. I have used the bluetooth however and was told it sounded better than my Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie truck.

10. 08-30-2011 07:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
      I have a 2012 TDI w/premium and its pretty different than this. I need to look at mine again and see if I have holes or a grill or not. I have used the bluetooth however and was told it sounded better than my Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie truck.
      Is yours a Jetta?? and it's different?? If so I'd like to see picture.

11. Junior Member
      08-31-2011 12:17 PM #11
      Here's a pic of my 2012 Jetta TDI Premium

Last edited by mugsy77; 08-31-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      08-31-2011 02:34 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by mugsy77 View Post

weird, that is just like the one i have and mine is 2011 Jetta Canadian TDI highline.
      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      08-31-2011 02:44 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Focus View Post
      weird, that is just like the one i have and mine is 2011 Jetta Canadian TDI highline.
      off topic: i hate that they changed the glasses closable box to the little cubby, every turn my glasses tumble around in it, making noise and driving me CRAZY!

if i have a chance to go back to a mk5 style one with the drop down glasses box, i'll pay any price.
      c.b.s.

Contact me if you have VCDS requests in New England (2006+ only)

14. 08-31-2011 08:47 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mugsy77 View Post

It's wierd. Almost like someone screwed up and installed the wrong console in my car. But that doesn't explain why they made a place to clip the microphone to the back of the plastic panel.

Whatever.

15. Junior Member
      10-31-2011 10:55 PM #15
      Bringing up the dead, but anybody else on crap quality bluetooth calls?

Posted new thread here:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...9#post74269279

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI SE Premium; 2002 Jetta TDI GLS - 306,000 miles RIP
      11-06-2011 03:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by WRJC2002 View Post
      It's wierd. Almost like someone screwed up and installed the wrong console in my car. But that doesn't explain why they made a place to clip the microphone to the back of the plastic panel.

Whatever.

This is what mine looks like and all the other TDI Premiums I've come accross.

I wonder if the mic could be relocated from passenger side to driver side....
      2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 spd manual 306,000 miles - RIP
      2012 Jetta TDI 6 spd manual
      TDI Trusted Mechanics Page
      Drivbiwire's TDI Breakin Rules

17. 12-05-2011 07:21 AM #17
      I purchased a 2012 VW Jetta TDI w/premium last week, here's my deal with the Bluetooth ... What I have come to notice is poor sound quality when playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. There seems to be far better sound quality when I plug my iPhone directly to the system via the connector in the glove box. That said, my beef seems to be a loose connection to my iPhone with the connector in the glove box. I understand that that connector is for an iPod however, I've never had a problem using my iPhone with anything else apple spacific. Is it just my phone or is the connection better with an iPod? I don't have an iPod, should I invest in one spacificaly for the purpose of plaing music in my car and just leave the Bluetooth connection for phone calls etc? As for sound quality using Bluetooth for phone calls I have not had an issue. I have the same Console in my 2012 TDI Jetta w/premium as well. I have had the car for just under a week now any suggestions for connectivity of my iPhone?

Vehicles
      '96 B4 1Z TDI sedan, '12 Jetta TDI 6spd manual
      01-29-2012 03:01 PM #18
      I know this is old, but i have '12 Jetta TDI with bluetooth, and my panel is the same only I dont have a sunroof. I actually have it removed because I was doing the LED lights for the maps. You can just barely see where the mic is in the upper right corner.

I have the red ambient lights also.

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      02-25-2012 11:00 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Marc A View Post
      I purchased a 2012 VW Jetta TDI w/premium last week, here's my deal with the Bluetooth ... What I have come to notice is poor sound quality when playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. There seems to be far better sound quality when I plug my iPhone directly to the system via the connector in the glove box. That said, my beef seems to be a loose connection to my iPhone with the connector in the glove box. I understand that that connector is for an iPod however, I've never had a problem using my iPhone with anything else apple spacific. Is it just my phone or is the connection better with an iPod? I don't have an iPod, should I invest in one spacificaly for the purpose of plaing music in my car and just leave the Bluetooth connection for phone calls etc? As for sound quality using Bluetooth for phone calls I have not had an issue. I have the same Console in my 2012 TDI Jetta w/premium as well. I have had the car for just under a week now any suggestions for connectivity of my iPhone?
      1) Regarding the MDI plug in the glove compartment: The iPhone connector is the exact same as the iPod connector. If it's loose: somethings up with your phone. You may want to try pushing it in hard on both sides until they "click".

2) Others have had problems with the BT audio quality, including me. I have found that as soon as I connect via BT audio, I push the volume up button on my phone and the audio comes in loud and clear. Others have reported having to disconnect the BT and reconnect it to fix, but I find that the volume up button is sufficient.
      2012 GLI Autobahn w/Nav
      2005.5 Jetta 2.5 (died)

20. 11-07-2012 06:31 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by J-J-Jetta View Post
      off topic: i hate that they changed the glasses closable box to the little cubby, every turn my glasses tumble around in it, making noise and driving me CRAZY!
      Me too. What I did was put a piece of white flexible packing foam (about 1/8 inch thick) in the cubbyhole. just cut it to size of the left, bottom and right sides and tuck it in. You won't see it and the increased friction will keep things from sliding around.

21. 04-17-2014 10:38 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by jwlionking View Post
      This is what mine looks like and all the other TDI Premiums I've come accross.

I wonder if the mic could be relocated from passenger side to driver side....
      I know this is an old post but I just brought my 2012 SEL in today and they are going to replace the microphone and relocate it to the driver side. That was was VW told the dealership to do so I guess they finally owned up to the issue?