VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2012 Jetta Bluetooth Microphone issue and fix

37K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  rotts4u 
#1 ·
I ended up posting this in a post asking about the Fender Audio System in the 2012's but I thought that now that I have a fix, I would post a new thread explaining how.

Issue:

In 2012 they changed the overhead console. They removed the 3 blutooth control buttons and the adjacent microphone grill's. They then moved the microphone between the map light buttons and courtesy light switch. The microphone is now located behind a plastic panel with no holes for the sound to travel through. I use my Bluetooth constantly and have heard the following complaints: sounds like you're talking through: a plastic cup, a glass of water, my hand, my a**, etc, etc.

The fix:

I have since remedied the issue by drilling holes in the panel. It now works great. No complaints from anyone about muffled sound. I'm disappointed that I had to resolve it myself as the dealer was not interested because they don't have an authorized fix from VW yet. But it works well and I think it looks decent.

Instructions on what to do if you like what you see:

1. Remove the clear plastic light panel. Pry and pull down on the front and the panel will pop out.

2. Remove the 2 torx screws that hold the light panel and buttons in place. NOTE: Be careful not to touch your torx driver to the dome light terminal as this will blow a fuse in your panel, and when you go looking for a fuse diagram in your owners manual you will find that it was not available at the time of printing.

3. Pull down on and remove the light panel. You will need to unplug the light plug and remove the microphone from the panel in order to remove the panel from the car. The microphone is the little black rectangular box surrounded by 3 plastic clips. Spread these clips apart CAREFULLY and pull the microphone out.

4. Now time to drill your holes. I tossed around the idea of a bunch of little holes, or 1 big one, or 2 medium ones. I wanted it to look good, but still be as functional as possible. I decided on 2 - 3/8" holes in line. I used a 1/2" uni-bit, started from the back side of the panel with the initial 1/8" of the bit. Then I flipped it over and finished the drilling from the front side. I drilled down to the 3/8" size and then did a mild countersink with the 7/16" of the bit.

5. Clean up any burrs, and reinstall everything in the reverse order.

I hope this is helpful to folks. And that VW remedies this issue soon. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Here's a picture to show what I did to resolve the issue (note the 2 - 3/8" holes next to the right side map light button):

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
You can see the Microphone through the grille on the right hand side below the sunglass cubbie in the pic of the GTI overhead console. That 1/2" by 1 1/2" or so black rectangle that you can see behind the grille is the microphone. I don't understand why they felt the need to use a different panel in the Jetta vs. the GTI, but whatever.

I just picked up my Jetta from the dealer today and they applauded my fix. They apologized, but said that they can't do anything with the car unless VW has an official fix for the issues. I hope they come up with something soon, because that is very disappointing.

Thanks for the kind words.

#6 ·
What trim is your Jetta? I have a 2012 SEL that has an overhead console that is similar to the 2012 GTI, and looks nothing like yours. The complaints about my bluetooth is that there is way too much noise from the car being picked up by the microphone and no one can hear me.

#8 ·
My Jetta is a TDI DSG Premium with Nav. Not sure about SEL, etc.

Off topic a bit, but does this mean you dont have the "red ambiant" led lights either? as nights when the dash lights are on, i get the red glow around the gear and cup holders. I dont see the lights in the overhead panel.
I don't believe there are any red ambiant lights, no. Both my brother's 2006 and my mom's 2010 have those, but not mine. :confused: Oh well.

#7 ·
Off topic a bit, but does this mean you dont have the "red ambiant" led lights either? as nights when the dash lights are on, i get the red glow around the gear and cup holders. I dont see the lights in the overhead panel.

#17 ·
2012 jetta w/premium

I purchased a 2012 VW Jetta TDI w/premium last week, here's my deal with the Bluetooth ... What I have come to notice is poor sound quality when playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. There seems to be far better sound quality when I plug my iPhone directly to the system via the connector in the glove box. That said, my beef seems to be a loose connection to my iPhone with the connector in the glove box. I understand that that connector is for an iPod however, I've never had a problem using my iPhone with anything else apple spacific. Is it just my phone or is the connection better with an iPod? I don't have an iPod, should I invest in one spacificaly for the purpose of plaing music in my car and just leave the Bluetooth connection for phone calls etc? As for sound quality using Bluetooth for phone calls I have not had an issue. I have the same Console in my 2012 TDI Jetta w/premium as well. I have had the car for just under a week now any suggestions for connectivity of my iPhone?

#19 ·
iPhone bluetooth issues

I purchased a 2012 VW Jetta TDI w/premium last week, here's my deal with the Bluetooth ... What I have come to notice is poor sound quality when playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth. There seems to be far better sound quality when I plug my iPhone directly to the system via the connector in the glove box. That said, my beef seems to be a loose connection to my iPhone with the connector in the glove box. I understand that that connector is for an iPod however, I've never had a problem using my iPhone with anything else apple spacific. Is it just my phone or is the connection better with an iPod? I don't have an iPod, should I invest in one spacificaly for the purpose of plaing music in my car and just leave the Bluetooth connection for phone calls etc? As for sound quality using Bluetooth for phone calls I have not had an issue. I have the same Console in my 2012 TDI Jetta w/premium as well. I have had the car for just under a week now any suggestions for connectivity of my iPhone?
1) Regarding the MDI plug in the glove compartment: The iPhone connector is the exact same as the iPod connector. If it's loose: somethings up with your phone. You may want to try pushing it in hard on both sides until they "click".

2) Others have had problems with the BT audio quality, including me. I have found that as soon as I connect via BT audio, I push the volume up button on my phone and the audio comes in loud and clear. Others have reported having to disconnect the BT and reconnect it to fix, but I find that the volume up button is sufficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.