VWVortex.com - The original 20vT mk1 "re-build" thread.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The original 20vT mk1 "re-build" thread.

Vehicles
      '69 S52T 2002 project - '91 20vT GTI
      07-09-2016 11:45 PM #51
      I sent you a PM, any update on this?
      R135
      ╚╬╬╣
      . 24BYE

2. 07-10-2016 09:54 AM #52
      Love it!! I just finished my AEB/AJL swap into my 81 Rabbit and this thread is on point.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '03 BMP 20th AE
      07-21-2016 06:57 PM #53
      Pagparts billet v3 gt3071r. I see 20psi @3400rpm and @25psi make 430whp. With the boost turned down to 15/16 it's much another and still 360whp-ish.....I do have cams and a built head. My power falls off right around 7800...I rev to 8500 and I'm making about 396whp@25psi at redline. I found out last week my manifold had a gigantic crack inn out...And my purpose best 2 dunks were 480+...so the turbo and such is a great setup for track I've found when turned siren, but has head room to be insane.

Same sort of trans setup as rally, tallest gti 02j with tdi final and peloquin.

I do eat wheel bearings and outer cv's I will say, I'm switching to mk3 spindles soon
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      1961 Bug, 1983 Rabbit GTI, 1984 Rabbit GTI, 1991 Golf Country, 1998 GTI, 2004 R32
      08-01-2016 10:35 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by how much is 5 plus 2 View Post
      I sent you a PM, any update on this?
      Hi Otto, sorry for the late reply, been traveling the last month for work, but had time to pull the car out for an afternoon while I was in the US so I'll post a small update.

Quote Originally Posted by DCb16 View Post
      Love it!! I just finished my AEB/AJL swap into my 81 Rabbit and this thread is on point.
      link to build thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      Pagparts billet v3 gt3071r. I see 20psi @3400rpm and @25psi make 430whp. With the boost turned down to 15/16 it's much another and still 360whp-ish.....I do have cams and a built head. My power falls off right around 7800...I rev to 8500 and I'm making about 396whp@25psi at redline. I found out last week my manifold had a gigantic crack inn out...And my purpose best 2 dunks were 480+...so the turbo and such is a great setup for track I've found when turned siren, but has head room to be insane.

Same sort of trans setup as rally, tallest gti 02j with tdi final and peloquin.

I do eat wheel bearings and outer cv's I will say, I'm switching to mk3 spindles soon
      Chris, haven't heard from you in a while, how's things? Still FWD is sounds like?

SMALL UPDTE:
      It's been 8 years to the month since I picked this car up in Maine and drove it back to GA through torrential rain on semi-slicks while deliriously sleep deprived.
      Cool shot from a break in the rain
      image by isaacpettit, on Flickr

As stated years ago when I started this thread, I got married, moved overseas, and haven't had hardly any time to work on this car since the engine blew in 2011. It's been sitting in the garage covered since then with the exception of about 1 or 2 days a year when I'm back in GA and able to pull it out and wash it, etc. Despite de-humidifiers and other things, the car kept getting mildewed inside so to preserve the interior I took everything out and bagged it up and moved it to my attic which is very dry. In doing so I found that there was some definite rust that needed to be addressed. I was always very careful of rust but knew from its days in Maine that there was a lingering rust issue in the drivers side floor board that needed to be fixed.

It might look like surface rust but the floors are very weak as well as the rear apron. The plan is to cut it all out and make a new floor from sheet metal, as well as a new rear apron.

The exterior still looks pretty much unchanged, except I had the bumpers off for towing it and the suspension looks lifted due to "engine delete mod".

Still collecting parts for this car, mostly the hard to find ones first and saving the easier to find parts for last. I always liked the fact that this car was in some small way a part of early VW motorsports in North America, even if not officially, so I picked up the full year of 2003 European car Magazine. Also have been collecting VW Motorsport parts for the car.

Custom gauge cluster (cause the real ones are impossible to find) and VWMS 3-spoke steering wheel.

In general just a lot of VWMS badges, stickers, random parts, etc. Only thing I wanted but haven't found aside from the cluster are the harnesses.... so let me know if you know of any for sale!
      Untitled by isaacpettit, on Flickr

Found 2 sets of 15x7 VWMS wheels. Started polishing one set but they were powder coated silver and takes forever. Might switch to paint but haven't decided yet. Aldo debating having one set widened, but will do that as a last step to make sure they fit how I want them to.
      Untitled by isaacpettit, on Flickr

And a few spare center caps

Picked up a BBS front spoiler which will be modified eventually to work with the fender work I am planning. I won't be running plastic flares so needs to be adjusted.

And a real Zender 3-piece rear spoiler in decent shape. Needs some more coating work, but we'll get there.

Took out my custom Recaro Trophy's. I'll be running different seats next time around so deciding if I want to keep these for another project or let them go. Still love these though.. Great seats, shout out to Matt at Bolt Industries! PS if anyone is looking for these seats or any parts, like the netted headrests, Japan is the place to get them!

Grabbed a set of the Mahle Motosport stroker pistons for a 2.1L block. Shout out to Issam from INA for those! More than a few more parts from him will find their way into the engine bay before this is finished.

So committed to a 2.1L at this point. I have the brand new AEB engine from VW that Chris Barnes helped me get (See page one) and will use that head. It will be upgraded with cams (want IE ones but they're back ordered still.) and I have a good connection with Ferrea through work so they will provide a number of other parts. I'm going to an 06A block that will obviously be build out with the stroker pistons, but also IE Tuscon Rods and still deciding on a crank shaft. Had thought ALH for a long time, but depending on how crazy things get have also considered a billet Eurospec one. I sent an inquiry to Scott at USRT on that so we'll see.

New Precision Turbo with the old Turbonetics one. Always curious what was done to this turbo? Anyone know? It said "Stage 3" and looks like it had some work, but can't tell exactly what went into it.

My plan is still to convert to AWD. Especially recently seeing how rusted the floor was, and that it will need to be cut out anyway, I'm convincing myself more and more this will be the way to go. I've done a lot of research over the past 5 years and I have the designs pretty well set in my head. Next step is to have my brother build a rotisserie for me so I can get to making measurements. Planning to run a double wishbone setup in the rear with full adjustability.

Progress is always slow... but definitely not giving up on this, and definitely not looking to sell the project. Still many parts to buy but I've tried to focus on the harder to find parts and leave the readily accessible stuff for later.

Any questions feel free to ask, thanks for reading (if you made it this far!)

Cheers,
      Isaac

5. 01-04-2017 01:35 AM #55
      Sold the old turBo?

Vehicles
      1961 Bug, 1983 Rabbit GTI, 1984 Rabbit GTI, 1991 Golf Country, 1998 GTI, 2004 R32
      01-04-2017 01:49 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Street demon2002 View Post
      Sold the old turBo?
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nd-other-parts

Vehicles
      '69 S52T 2002 project - '91 20vT GTI
      02-18-2017 03:54 PM #57
      engine delete mod looking good man it's nice to see
      R135
      ╚╬╬╣
      . 24BYE

Vehicles
      02-19-2017 07:26 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by how much is 5 plus 2 View Post
      engine delete mod looking good man it's nice to see
      Thanks Its a slow process but getting a lot of the harder to find parts that I wanted for it. Got my aluminum baffled oil pan and Denso mini alternator 06A kit from INA. After talking to come people who's opinion I respect I decided to go with the ALH crank for now, so picked a straight one up and will have it lightened. Seemed like the billet crankshafts I was looking at are made in Asia and had a reputation for bending. Working on a deal for a rather special gearbox at the moment. Will need a block, rods and manifolds and then be more or less ready to roll under the hood.

Will post updates for anyone who's still interested.

Cheers,
      Isaac

Vehicles
      02-20-2017 12:51 PM #59

:HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      What vegeta said.

10. 02-25-2017 11:16 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6 3.0 View Post
      Yea, as much fun as this car was on the street, if just begs to be raced.

The old setup I had was T3/T4 and an 020 with a quaiffe and it was a quick car. Boost came mid 3000`s and the car was making 300 whp at 27 lbs of boost.

Is the Syncro system in your Passat stock? Ive heard they don`t hold up too well once you hit the 300 hp range...but I`d be curious to know for my Golf Country.

Thanks for the input

Isaac
      i was not expecting to see an 020 in the car, even with a diff, i've never had any luck with those gearboxes, happy to see you got 02a mounts for the next revision!
      24v VR club

Vehicles
      02-26-2017 07:32 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by 35i 2000 View Post
      i was not expecting to see an 020 in the car, even with a diff, i've never had any luck with those gearboxes, happy to see you got 02a mounts for the next revision!
      The 020 would have remained a weak point, its now on a NA 16v, think it's probably well suited for that. This new engine should make some decent power, still going back and forth on the gearbox decision. If I can make the deal work, I'm hoping to source an 02C for it. Checked with NLS to see if their 02A/J mounts will work with an 02C, and he said in theory yes but they haven't tried.. If I can run an 02C with those mounts that will save me a lot of headaches in the mount department.

Vehicles
      02-26-2017 04:50 PM #62
      I honestly dont like the nls mounts. I can make you mounts as well. Are you going cable or hydro catch?
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      03-15-2017 04:25 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      I honestly dont like the nls mounts. I can make you mounts as well. Are you going cable or hydro catch?
      Thanks Chris, curious why you don't like the NLS munts? May have to take you up on that offer though, all depends on what gearbox I end up with. For a while I had settled on a TT 02M, but if I can snag this 02C I'll go that route. It's been rebuilt with the 6-speed Gemini kit and has 0 miles.. Just trying to work out shipping.. would allow me to run my speedo without needing a cable -x like I would with the 02M.

gemini 02c 3 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

gemini 02c 2 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

gemini 02c 1 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

Did some research and talked to the ex-vwms mechanic who built the gearbox. He said they are good up to 600bhp. I know the 02m's can be built to hold more, but really like that this would be more period correct to the car (not that the engine is), or at least the group B era which is my favorite motorsports era. The ratios would suite the car better as well, and it saves a bit of weight up front too.

I'm not sure what mounts would work with this, but Chris, I may hit you up if this goes through.

Thanks,
      Isaac

14. 03-17-2017 08:51 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6 3.0 View Post
      Thanks Chris, curious why you don't like the NLS munts? May have to take you up on that offer though, all depends on what gearbox I end up with. For a while I had settled on a TT 02M, but if I can snag this 02C I'll go that route. It's been rebuilt with the 6-speed Gemini kit and has 0 miles.. Just trying to work out shipping.. would allow me to run my speedo without needing a cable -x like I would with the 02M.

gemini 02c 3 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

gemini 02c 2 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

gemini 02c 1 by isaacpettit, on Flickr

Did some research and talked to the ex-vwms mechanic who built the gearbox. He said they are good up to 600bhp. I know the 02m's can be built to hold more, but really like that this would be more period correct to the car (not that the engine is), or at least the group B era which is my favorite motorsports era. The ratios would suite the car better as well, and it saves a bit of weight up front too.

I'm not sure what mounts would work with this, but Chris, I may hit you up if this goes through.

Thanks,
      Isaac
      if you can pull off this gear box, like you said it will hold on till 600whp which is plenty fast enough in my eyes, I have both an 02j and 02m in my 2 cars, i like the design of the 02j better, because the clutch master and slave are all accessable.

I vote for this gearbox as its such an unusual 02c and would certainly suit the car more!
      24v VR club

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 08:39 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by 35i 2000 View Post
      if you can pull off this gear box, like you said it will hold on till 600whp which is plenty fast enough in my eyes, I have both an 02j and 02m in my 2 cars, i like the design of the 02j better, because the clutch master and slave are all accessable.

I vote for this gearbox as its such an unusual 02c and would certainly suit the car more!
      That's still the plan.. just a matter of getting the details squared away since it's coming from Europe.

Thanks for the input

Isaac

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123