Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good mechanic in MA

1. 08-26-2011 02:50 PM #1
      Hi,

First I have a 1984 cabby.

I just purchased a jh bored to 1.9, a head, ported with bigger valves and all Accessions the to boot.

I have a local mechinic who will do the swap for 500...great deal. but he doesn't know a ton
      about old VW.

So I went to shine racing....waited around for 1 moth for an estimate and then all most **** my
      self when he final got back to me. he wants 3500 smack a roos to just put the engine in,
      i think its because he knows that I got the engine for a for a song and a dance.

So what I really , really , really , need is a good mechinic who won't hang me out to dry. so if any one
      know some one or are willing to do the work for resonable price...let me know please.

2. 08-30-2011 03:01 PM #2
      Come on somebody knows a good wrench monkey...I say that with the utmost respect.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnowone View Post
      Hi,

First I have a 1984 cabby.

I just purchased a jh bored to 1.9, a head, ported with bigger valves and all Accessions the to boot.

I have a local mechanic who will do the swap for 500...great deal. but he doesn't know a ton
      about old VW.

So I went to shine racing....waited around for 1 moth for an estimate and then all most **** my
      self when he final got back to me. he wants 3500 smack a roos to just put the engine in,
      i think its because he knows that I got the engine for a for a song and a dance.

So what I really , really , really , need is a good mechanic who won't hang me out to dry. so if any one
      know some one or are willing to do the work for reasonable price...let me know please.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Scirocco
      08-30-2011 03:46 PM #3
      What area of MA?

4. 08-31-2011 02:52 AM #4
      I live in Groton,...but i'm willing to travel.

5. 08-31-2011 06:42 AM #5
      Hi,
      Or maybe that is what it costs to get the job done right. Take it from someone that bought a car with the swap done wrong....either do it right, or don't do it at all.

6. 08-31-2011 03:32 PM #6
      no that what it cost to boast some onea EGO. their are plenty of good mechinics out there who will do the
      jog correctly for a fair rate.

so do you know any good mechanics?

7. 08-31-2011 03:45 PM #7
      Oh, well that makes sense then. I am sure the only thing that is keeping the doors open at Shine is the huge ego.

I know plenty of mechanics, but none of them work for free. You get what you pay for but what am I telling you for, you already have it all figured out.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi A8L
      08-31-2011 07:48 PM #8
      The guys at shine are plenty busy, I was there this afternoon. They price things to be done right...if you cant afford to do it right the first time, how will you be able to afford to do it over again? If you want it done right i would take it to shine or another reputable shop. I would ask around before making comments against them, it is a great shop, they always take care of me...custom work is $$$$

you ALWAYS get what you pay for...good luck!

laying the smack down from MA for 15 years
      Vehicles
      '14 Cdale Carbon Synapse, '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      08-31-2011 09:51 PM #9
      no that what it cost to boast some onea EGO. their are plenty of good mechinics out there who will do the
      jog correctly for a fair rate.

so do you know any good mechanics?
      I'm willing to bet SRS quoted you book time to do the work, which is justified. It sounds like you want to cheap out so using a corner gas station may be your best bet.
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

Vehicles
      '66 Impala
      08-31-2011 09:59 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v View Post
      I'm willing to bet SRS quoted you book time to do the work, which is justified. It sounds like you want to cheap out so using a corner gas station may be your best bet.
      NEK '07 Chevy Crew Cab. Formerly CorradoG60
      '66 Impala 3 on the tree

11. 09-01-2011 02:44 AM #11
      you might want to check out a local tech high school too. a lot of times they will do hugely discounted work so the students can get some hands on experience.

12. 09-01-2011 03:21 AM #12
      Wow really you guys can't see how insane 3500 dollars is for an engine swap. I was on the phone
      With the guys from TT this morning and they even thought it was completely insane.

I have nothing Against Shine racing I just don't like getting ripped off.
      A 3500-4000 dollar quote at his 110 an hour is well over 30 hr's, who takes 30 ht's to swap an engine.
      I certainly didn’t when I put my 350 in my truck. I'm just saying I haven't had a great experience there.
      I waited 3 weeks for him to gather up a quote, When he finally got around to it he threw out a crazy figure.
      So nothing against Shine I'm sure they do good work; I’m just saying they can't be the only ones.

I’ve gone they extra mile did all my homework, got all the parts I’ll need, so their won’t be any surprises
      I even went as far to get a distributor from TT that is more closely mapped to my engine so timing it will be easier.
      I could do it my self but I just don’t have a garage or the time.

So with that aside does any one know another decent mechanic? I'm not looking for a back yard special
      I'm just looking for some on who knows what they're doing,

13. Member
      a private test facility way west of the Nordschleife
      Vehicles
      quattro
      09-01-2011 06:52 AM #13
      did it ever occur to you that Shine couldn't be bothered with the job, thus the "insane" quote?

I'm willing to bet a bag of skittles that they get requests all the time from VW "experts" who are "bringing their own parts" and "know exactly" what needs to be done in a job and are not willing to pay a dollar more than a price they saw quoted by someone on a car forum. "Customers" like that are frankly not worth the trouble they bring along with their parts.

I find odd that Techtonics would talk down about Shine since they have been a huge client of theirs for 20+ years - that just doesn't make sense. Good luck with the job...

Vehicles
      '66 Impala
      09-01-2011 08:30 AM #14
      I know how to do it, but I don't do side work anymore. Its too much of a problem than help. Plus with an old car like that a ton of **** will break from being rusted and corroded. Also no matter who it is wants more than what they came in for like "oh can you look at this this and this too" Not to mention if it doesn't run right when I R and R something they wanted me to, say you ****ed it up.....not worth the headache.
      '66 Impala 3 on the tree

15. 09-01-2011 09:34 AM #15
      that sounds like the "I don't wanna do it, but if you're dumb enough to pay me this I will" price

You should look in to Banchwerks in RI, they're right over the MA border, and do great work. definitely worth checking out.

and basically what everyone else said. pay to have it done right, by someone reputable.

As a victim of a shop that did a bunch of work, and did it WRONG, it sucks to have to pay for it twice.
      TDI | GTI | FLHXI | PVW 02/09

BUY ME

Vehicles
      Crew Cab Silverado, Hardtaild Harley, bagged big wheel bagger, 400ex, Ski Doo FIII 800, Shifter Kart
      09-01-2011 10:06 AM #16
      As much as I love bashing, $3500 is a tad ridiculous. There are not that many shop hours involved in doing that swap to charge that rate of labor. Wow, I feel weird with that civil reply. So **** you!

17. 09-01-2011 11:04 AM #17
      lets look at the breakdown of what you want done......
      you got an engine in pieces, a head that needs assembly and a bottom end that needs to be checked prior to assembly, cause if joe blow put it together, it wont last. and before anyone says ' gee, its soooooooo easy to build engines' I'll remind you that more than one shop has messed up a simple naturaly aspirated engine build..
      then you got a list of parts that need to be put on, a header that needs to be attached to a new exhaust(cause whatever is on there now is junk), a new clutch kit with transmission pushrod bushing, seal and flange seals etc etc.
      half the stuff on the rabbit will be rusty too, so you will need to buy stuff as you find more problems.

head assembly and shimming the valves = a few hours
      checking the bottom end to make sure it was put together correctly= a few hours
      making a long block out of pieces= a few hours
      block swap with transmission seals etc = 15 hours.
      adding all the extra stuff and making the exhaust and header work= a few long hours
      firing it up and breaking in the cam( you did buy a cam,right? waste of time ifyou didnt)
      tuning the car = a few hours.
      so thats where the 30 or so hours comes from and you pick up a running car.

3500 isnt alot of money to put an engine together that will last years and years.
      the superrabbit, the tuberabbit and all the wf ftd trophies say hi
      live eat and breathe VW http://the16v.com/super_rabbit/

Vehicles
      '66 Impala
      09-01-2011 01:05 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by samrabbit View Post
      lets look at the breakdown of what you want done......
      you got an engine in pieces, a head that needs assembly and a bottom end that needs to be checked prior to assembly, cause if joe blow put it together, it wont last. and before anyone says ' gee, its soooooooo easy to build engines' I'll remind you that more than one shop has messed up a simple naturaly aspirated engine build..
      then you got a list of parts that need to be put on, a header that needs to be attached to a new exhaust(cause whatever is on there now is junk), a new clutch kit with transmission pushrod bushing, seal and flange seals etc etc.
      half the stuff on the rabbit will be rusty too, so you will need to buy stuff as you find more problems.

head assembly and shimming the valves = a few hours
      checking the bottom end to make sure it was put together correctly= a few hours
      making a long block out of pieces= a few hours
      block swap with transmission seals etc = 15 hours.
      adding all the extra stuff and making the exhaust and header work= a few long hours
      firing it up and breaking in the cam( you did buy a cam,right? waste of time ifyou didnt)
      tuning the car = a few hours.
      so thats where the 30 or so hours comes from and you pick up a running car.

3500 isnt alot of money to put an engine together that will last years and years.
      Sam's right. Also so how do you know if the main bearings, connecting rod caps are torqued right? You can't just simply remove them and torque and stretch them. You pull them all out and order all new hardware, you cannot reuse torque to yield bolts they are a one time use. So basically when you give it to them they are rebuilding EVERYTHING from scratch. It is extremely time consuming.
      '66 Impala 3 on the tree

Vehicles
      Crew Cab Silverado, Hardtaild Harley, bagged big wheel bagger, 400ex, Ski Doo FIII 800, Shifter Kart
      09-01-2011 02:13 PM #19
      Should have just went with my gut and went with a simple... **** you. I can't think straight today, I could just never justify spending $3500 on a motor that might yield me enough whp to keep up with a moped.
      Last edited by Local603; 09-01-2011 at 02:15 PM.

20. 09-01-2011 02:39 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable2 View Post
      Should have just went with my gut and went with a simple... **** you. I can't think straight today, I could just never justify spending $3500 on a motor that might yield me enough whp to keep up with a moped.
      74 whp is worth every penny
      TDI | GTI | FLHXI | PVW 02/09

BUY ME

Vehicles
      09-01-2011 02:47 PM #21
      Ya if the price is only 1 penny for all 74 horses

22. 09-02-2011 03:52 AM #22
      Alright, I never claimed to be a know it all. I'm just saying I know enough that 3500 is way to much...and if they over priced because they don't want my business then screw em. I don't want to go there. that why I started this post TO FIND A GOOd MECHANIC IN MA.

I have all new parts, head bolts, lifters, cam, head stud, valve cover, gaskets, hoses, distributor, motor mounts, thermostat, water pump, timing belts,new clutch kit already installed bushing, seal and flange seal the list goes on and on.

As far as Techonics is concerned I simple stated the price to them, they indicated it was ridiculous
      They said that it should be more like 1000 max. I agree with that , that's all.

so...this what I found so far with out checking with any of the leads I found today.

One backyard-ed(Craigslist) said he would do the job for 600. problem no shop and he would have to build the engine in his garage, A Little sketchy but, I could work with him during the install so I could make sure it was done right.

two U-do-it in Nashua. Rick " the engine guy" said the engine build should be 200-300 depending on what I have...but was very
      cautious until he looked at what I had...good trait,.then the install should be around 500 + depending on what breaks.

SO I'm certainly going to check the garage that have been suggested by OLD-GTI and German Blake...thanks guys I;ll let you know how it goes.

I really think this thread could be good if we stopped defending SRS and post some positive experiences you have had with Mechanics in MA. So please if you have a knowledgeable VW mechanic in your area please post em.

Vehicles
      09-02-2011 07:16 AM #23
      Whoever would build an engine correctly for $2-300 is a heroine addict. In which case would not get built correct and probably get sold for more heroine.

Now that I hear what exactly this job entails, if you pay less than $2500 I would be hesitant to believe its being done correct. Also, if the one guy said he would do it for $xxx with you by his side to make sure he does it correct... Why aren't you just doing it yourself? I mean, if you know more than the mechanic your hiring that seems like a waste of money. Unless you have no hands, then it makes sense.

24. 09-02-2011 09:15 AM #24
      this what is need to have the engine assembled. I have a short block complete, I need the head
      torqued down which I'm willing to do. What I want a mechanic for is the top end.
      I need the lifter and the cam put into the head. That the whole "engine build"
      it's not like the entire engine is in pieces.

Vehicles
      09-02-2011 09:49 AM #25
      So when the engine is assembled and blows up within 500 miles due to piston rings not seated correctly, rod bearings improperly placed on crank you won't blame the shop that installed the cams/lifters then put the motor in?

You made a bad investment.

26. 09-02-2011 10:31 PM #26
      How the hell do you know I have made a bad investment? The short block is mint an was
      Built by a reputable builder. I have history and everything with it, you honestly are just looking for a reason
      to be negative. Not sure how constrictive that is. Maybe you could leave they gay picks out of the thread
      so people who want to post something about a GOOD MECHANIC IN MA, can..

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      09-02-2011 11:55 PM #27
      Ok you're getting a lot of crap in here, and I can't blame everyone. Instead of asking in a forum full of douches ( I do love all of you ) Why don't you do a search (use the ****ing search button) and target Nengland only. You will get a HUGE list of reputable shops that would love to do your work, just start calling around and stop wasting yours and everyones time.

Anyone in this thread that said 3500 is a good price is also a ****ing nut riding moron- It is without a doubt a "go away" price. 1000-1500 would be the absolute max price anyone should pay for such a simple swap.

Good luck motor sounds like it will be a blast

Vehicles
      VW
      09-03-2011 11:59 AM #28
      $3500

Try Benchwerks or DTM(in NH)
      Last edited by TM87; 09-03-2011 at 12:01 PM.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

29. 06-10-2012 09:49 PM #29
      Hey,

Thanks to this thread I found ferreira Garage in New Bedford, great mechinic and garage.paul is a stand up guy who does great work. He charged $600 for the engine install. That left enough left over money on the project I couldvdo a bunch more custom work. So thanks for all who new $3500 was insane.

Well, Im posting again because I need a mechanic closer to my home. Because, I cant do work by my self any longer and New Bedford is around 100 miles from my current home.

I live in North Andover, I just need a reasonable mecanic I can trust, closer to my home.

Thanks,

Joshua

30. 06-10-2012 10:40 PM #30
      Its not near home but I used Rennen Performance for my swap. 4 years now and not a single glitch. The biggest hurdle is electrical and he totally gets it. I belive he moved the shop to Auburn Maine.

31. Member
      06-10-2012 10:41 PM #31
      Hey,

Thanks to this thread I found ferreira Garage in New Bedford, great mechinic and garage.paul is a stand up guy who does great work. He charged $600 for the engine install. That left enough left over money on the project I couldvdo a bunch more custom work. So thanks for all who new $3500 was insane.

Well, Im posting again because I need a mechanic closer to my home. Because, I cant do work by my self any longer and New Bedford is around 100 miles from my current home.

I live in North Andover, I just need a reasonable mecanic I can trust, closer to my home.

Thanks,

Joshua

Thanks for sharing your research, I will be going to Ferreira Garage in the future for a quote on some work.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      06-11-2012 12:02 AM #32
      Hey,

Thanks,

Joshua
      Have you checked out Marc's foreign car in Wakefield? From the looks of his site it appears he works on some unique builds.

33. 06-12-2012 01:08 AM #33
      Ernie's Automotive

55 Johnson Street, Taunton, MA

508 823 3853

Talk to Angelo. Tell him Travis sent you. He has been a vw master tech for 25+ years. He is very resonable and extremely knowledgeable.

34. 07-31-2012 11:17 AM #34
      Hey,

Well I tried Marcs, he wasn't intrested in working on somthing so old. So thats a no go. If any one know some one around North Andover it would really help me out.

Cheers

35. Member
      08-01-2012 03:54 PM #35
      Hey,

Well I tried Marcs, he wasn't intrested in working on somthing so old. So thats a no go. If any one know some one around North Andover it would really help me out.

Cheers
      Try Jeremy.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Manchester-NH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast