Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Putting your money where your mouth is" 101: Adding a little vitamin V8 to my diet

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      08-29-2011 10:04 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      We had our GT press car right after I had a Challenger SRT-8. I was constantly short-shifting the Mustang because I wasn't used to the top end. Took a while to get used to.
      I can see why some folks who are used to the older cars aren't in love with the coyote because the car really needs to be revved to get the most out of it. I kind of like that though. Just by virtue of being a V8, the car has adequate torque in all situations. The engine is quite civilized around town, but up top, it feels like a totally different motor.

Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      i am 99% jelly, except silver = luxurious beige. without trying to start anything, did you CHOOSE silver or was it 'forced' on you?
      You know, I wasn't 100% sure about the silver when I picked out it. I originally wanted the gray, but it wasn't available for the 2012s. I also didn't want another dark colored car since this will be a daily driver and I wanted to be able to go more than a week without feeling bad about how dirty the car looks. But I think the silver and gunmetal wheels go well. Plus I think the silver does a better job of showing the body lines (which I happen to really like) than any other color. The Kona Blue is a pretty sharp color though.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-29-2011 10:07 AM #37
      Next time I am in town, I am coming to visit you....... I have only completely inappropriate feelings for these cars.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

3. 08-29-2011 11:12 AM #38

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      08-29-2011 11:20 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Next time I am in town, I am coming to visit you....... I have only completely inappropriate feelings for these cars.
      Let me know the next time you're in Philly and I'm sure something could be arranged!

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      08-29-2011 11:21 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Let me know the next time you're in Philly and I'm sure something could be arranged!
      TCL part at 6cyl's house. Booze provided!
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

6. 08-29-2011 11:24 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Congrats on joining the Mustang club! I know you're gonna love that car. I can't wait for them to get to the point where I can replace my '06 GT convert with a 5.0 convert!

And yeah, the sound is glorious, especially as the revs rise!
      I love the look of the new cars, and the motor+6 speed option is really cool, but I would rather supercharge mine to get 400hp. I priced a replacement for mine, and it was $49K.
      "The Sebring is an extraordinary car. Ugly to behold and hateful to drive, it is not cheap, elegant, comfortable, practical, prestigious, clever, economical, luxurious, well designed, well thought out or, if the rental car I drove in America this year is anything to go by, especially well made either." - Jeremy Clarkson

7. 08-29-2011 11:31 AM #42
      how does the ride quality compare to your old GTI and crossfire? any harshness or excessive road noise?

8. 08-29-2011 11:55 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by theshmoes View Post
      how does the ride quality compare to your old GTI and crossfire? any harshness or excessive road noise?
      let me answer that for you...since i used to have a 2008 gti...and now i have a 2011 mustang...

the gti had endless ratlles and creaks ever since brand new...

whereas the mustang is now about 6 months old and is tight as a drum, not one single rattle or any nonsense of that sort

but obviously the question is obviously still open to the OP as he has the brembo package and heavier v8 upfront

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-29-2011 12:08 PM #44
      Nah, we should crash my in-laws! Oh wait, they have no booze. Ooops.

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 S4, 2004 X3
      08-29-2011 12:41 PM #45
      Nice choice.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy a Mustang GT someday, I've always admired them, and the latest ones are just getting better and better.

Vehicles
      2008 Outback
      08-29-2011 12:42 PM #46
      Congrats
      Ravens&
      Bohs&
      Crabs&
      O's.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      08-29-2011 01:20 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
      I love the look of the new cars, and the motor+6 speed option is really cool, but I would rather supercharge mine to get 400hp. I priced a replacement for mine, and it was $49K.

That's why I bought an '06 instead of a '11 or '12. Well over $40k for a GT Premium convertible? Not for this guy. I'll wait until they are 5-6 years old.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      08-29-2011 02:03 PM #48
      My GT Premium (no Brembos ) has a very nicely damped ride, and just the right amount of noise. The engine really sings a glorious sound in the cabin, but wind and tire noise is minimum. I find it dangerous on the highway, where 90-95 mph is still whisper quiet gliding in 6th gear at ~2500 rpm.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      08-29-2011 02:07 PM #49
      I like the sound of that. Or simply a track day at NJ Motorsports Park and partying in the hotel afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
      No doubt these cars can get pricey once the options start getting added in, which is why I wanted the base model car with a few options.

I know the other poster addressed rattles, which you didn't seem to ask about, but I will say that after 250 miles, the car is tight as a drum! Time will tell if the mustang will continue to be as quiet as it is now. Ride quality however, is a bit of a different question, with a different answer. I would say that the GTI and mustang aren't world different in how they felt on the highway. I thought both have a pretty stiff ride, but the Mustang is definitely bouncier. Where the Mustang bounces over bumps, my GTI seemed to crash over them. On the highway, I would give a slight edge to the GTI. The crossfire was a different animal entirely. That car was worlds smoother than the Mustang or GTI. Not to say that the big tires on that car didn't give the car a rough ride when the road got rough, but it was able to channel out more road imperfections than the mustang. If I had to pick one of my last 3 cars to take on a long-distance highspeed highway run, I'd probably choose the crossfire at this point. That car was fantastic over 80 mph and supremely stable. I could partially appreciate the stiff numb steering only at high speeds on the highway. This IMO, is where German cars really show what they can do.

Nah, we should crash my in-laws! Oh wait, they have no booze. Ooops.
      No booze---no problem, I can bring whatever anyone might need!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      08-29-2011 02:09 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      My GT Premium (no Brembos ) has a very nicely damped ride, and just the right amount of noise. The engine really sings a glorious sound in the cabin, but wind and tire noise is minimum. I find it dangerous on the highway, where 90-95 mph is still whisper quiet gliding in 6th gear at ~2500 rpm.
      I forgot to address the noise issue, but I agree with Chmeeee on this--the car is rather quiet on the highway. I don't notice any tire noise or anything either. If anything, the engine noise is really the only thing that gets into the cabin. And trust me, it's a freakin wonderful thing. It's great at 2k rpms and at 5k rpms.

Vehicles
      08-29-2011 02:10 PM #51
      There's a common misconception among enthusiasts who haven't driven recent Mustangs that they have poor ride quality. They're actually rather plush. Too soft, even, in my opinion.

Before you push it, you expect it to make for a very distant, vague driving experience. Once you get on it, you realize that the chassis actually reacts rather quickly.
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

08-29-2011 02:11 PM #52
      Congrats. You spec'd it the same way I would. Your new username should read 8cylFordguy.

Vehicles
      08-29-2011 02:13 PM #53
      I like the sound of that. Or simply a track day at NJ Motorsports Park and partying in the hotel afterwards!
      In that order, yes.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      08-29-2011 02:34 PM #54
      Looks fantastic man! Love that you're driving it like it deserves
      Contributing editor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      08-29-2011 03:11 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Congrats. You spec'd it the same way I would. Your new username should read 8cylFordguy.
      Thanks! I wouldn;t have minded the premium package if it didn't cost so damn much money! The halogen headlights on this car are pretty poor from the factory and it would have been nice if Ford offered HIDs to the base model cars. That's my biggest let down on this car.

I do still have my VR6 corrado, so I suppose there is still some accuracy to the screen name!

Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      Looks fantastic man! Love that you're driving it like it deserves
      Well...I haven't really been driving it like it should to be honest. Still kind of going easy on it. It's MUCH faster than what I'm used to honestly. The car started going sideways in second gear at about 5k rpms yesterday in the dry, which is a sensation that's completely foreign to me right now. I couldn't spin the rear tires in the crossfire in the dry unless I dumped the clutch from a stop---but even then, the ECU limited how much you could rev the motor, which IIRC was something like 4k rpms, so the car was never going to be a burnout champion.

I can't imagine how fast something like a 997 turbo S feels after driving something with what, 150 less hp?

Vehicles
      08-30-2011 02:44 AM #56
      The car started going sideways in second gear at about 5k rpms yesterday in the dry, which is a sensation that's completely foreign to me right now.
      At an SAE press event, I lit up the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and would have lit up 4th too, but I ran out of road. I was giggling when I got out of it. Like a Japanese schoolgirl.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      08-30-2011 09:28 AM #57
      At an SAE press event, I lit up the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and would have lit up 4th too, but I ran out of road. I was giggling when I got out of it. Like a Japanese schoolgirl.
      I love how the traction control lets you have a bit of fun before gently reeling you back in, too. In the BMW, the moment you start to get wheelspin, it cuts the engine and it feels like you stalled the car (which can be unnerving when making a left turn across traffic in teh wet if it's slightly bumpy). In the Mustang, you get to spin the tires a bit, which can help you kick it sideways when cornering hard. Much fun!
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

23. 08-30-2011 09:47 AM #58
      I know the other poster addressed rattles, which you didn't seem to ask about, but I will say that after 250 miles, the car is tight as a drum! Time will tell if the mustang will continue to be as quiet as it is now.
      Mine is still very tight, although it only has 22000miles on it. But for a convertible it is very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      I love how the traction control lets you have a bit of fun before gently reeling you back in, too. In the BMW, the moment you start to get wheelspin, it cuts the engine and it feels like you stalled the car (which can be unnerving when making a left turn across traffic in teh wet if it's slightly bumpy). In the Mustang, you get to spin the tires a bit, which can help you kick it sideways when cornering hard. Much fun!
      I love the TC in the mustang, it lets you have fun and keeps you pointed where you want to go.
      "The Sebring is an extraordinary car. Ugly to behold and hateful to drive, it is not cheap, elegant, comfortable, practical, prestigious, clever, economical, luxurious, well designed, well thought out or, if the rental car I drove in America this year is anything to go by, especially well made either." - Jeremy Clarkson

24. 08-30-2011 02:39 PM #59
      I did too, but I went from 2 4cyl turbos to two V8's

traded these

Last edited by suzbndt; 08-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 GLI, 73' Mini Cooper
      08-30-2011 02:52 PM #60

26. 08-30-2011 10:54 PM #61
      V8s are great because you always have the option to do this.

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-30-2011 10:17 AM #62
      I thought of you when I saw Drive this week.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      10-30-2011 12:06 PM #63
      I love my Mustang GT. I just hit 14k on the odometer and still no issues with the transmission. I do need new tires though . And I learned a valuable lesson: this car at sea level is an entirely different beast. I only have the 3.31 gears, but I can get this car to accelerate and spin easy. I've even been able to put it in "advance track" and handle it. However, in Reno, with an elevation of 4k feet, it is manageable. On a recent trip to Seattle, I hit the advance track button and quickly realized to put the traction control back on . This car is so much fun and made me and my buddy laugh like idiots from some of the shenanigans. Since I'm getting new tread, I'm going to have a fun month and burn these stock tires to the nubs
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      10-30-2011 12:14 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      I thought of you when I saw Drive this week.
      Didn't see the movie, but heard that there's very little footage of the car. But yeah, when I first saw the preview, I definitely felt obligated to see the movie! Maybe I'll rent it when it comes out on "video".

Update: It was in the low to mid 30's yesterday in my area. Took the car out for a few a miles and didn't even have a hint of problems with the transmission. For reference many people feel that cold temps bring out the worst in the MT82.

30. 02-15-2012 09:21 AM #65
      Seems like it's been 6 months since you bought this and I'm wondering how you feel about it? How is it holding up, do you still enjoy it and would you order the same car now that you have had 6 months of seat time in it? Would have gotten this option or that option in addition to or instead of what you got? Have you done any mods or are there mods you're thinking about?
      Last edited by sullie; 02-15-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      02-15-2012 10:07 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by sullie View Post
      Seems like it's been 6 months since you bought this and I'm wondering how you feel about it? How is it holding up, do you still enjoy it and would you order the same car now that you have had 6 months of seat time in it? Would have gotten this option or that option in addition to or instead of what you got? Have you done any mods or are there mods you're thinking about?
      I plan on giving a bit of an update when I hit the 10k mile mark and I currently have 6700 miles on it. To be brief, I really dig the car, but I can't quite put my finger on why--maybe it's the sound, maybe it's the power, maybe it something else. It's been a pretty good car overall, but it hasn't been perfect--I just got the rear end vent TSB (too much diff fluid seeps from the vent) done last week and I also had some type of dust cover replaced that was making an annoying squeak. Nothing big, like a transmission or cyl #8 failure, but I still had to bring the car in. As far as mods, I've done minimal work to the car at this point. I put in GT500 mufflers and have a black Steeda pool ball shift knob coming in today. Those are the only mods of substance I've done to the car.

I'll put up a more thorough review in 3-4 months.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-09-2012 03:51 PM #67
      I plan on giving a bit of an update when I hit the 10k mile mark and I currently have 6700 miles on it. To be brief, I really dig the car, but I can't quite put my finger on why--maybe it's the sound, maybe it's the power, maybe it something else. It's been a pretty good car overall, but it hasn't been perfect--I just got the rear end vent TSB (too much diff fluid seeps from the vent) done last week and I also had some type of dust cover replaced that was making an annoying squeak. Nothing big, like a transmission or cyl #8 failure, but I still had to bring the car in. As far as mods, I've done minimal work to the car at this point. I put in GT500 mufflers and have a black Steeda pool ball shift knob coming in today. Those are the only mods of substance I've done to the car.

I'll put up a more thorough review in 3-4 months.
      Any update? I'm looking at purchasing a brand new mustang gt as well.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      09-09-2012 04:15 PM #68
      Big time upgrade.

I got my first Mustang this year and I'm hooked big time, I'd love a new 5.0
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

Vehicles
      Drivers, beaters, pedal bikes
      09-09-2012 04:19 PM #69
      Clap clap clap clap clap. Excellent purchase.

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      09-09-2012 06:27 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by The Dubsta View Post
      Any update? I'm looking at purchasing a brand new mustang gt as well.
      Just hit 24k on my early build 2011 GT and my only issue was the clutch bolts. There was a TSB on it and I needed it. I've been moddin mine like crazy this year: lowering springs, sway bars, wheels/tires, adjustable panhard bar, panhard rod support, rear lower control arms, control arm relocation brackets and adjustable shocks/struts and GT500 strut mounts. Next is a MGW short shift kit. Then next year is gears (3.73's since I have 3.31's) and thinking of long tube headers/high flow cats/exhaust. This car is so much fun that I've been concentrating on handling vs more power. If you buy one you can not only put a grin on your face but also haul stuff and road trip with it. I love this car and it may be the first car I don't actually get bored with
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast