Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Putting your money where your mouth is" 101: Adding a little vitamin V8 to my diet

1. Senior Member
      09-09-2012 10:30 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I found out that the headrests are adjustable front to back, not just up and down. I LOVED that aspect of my older vws. Interestingly, in the mustang the headrest actually locks in place when adjusting the headrest front to back--unlike the VWs I'd owned.
      Locking in the properly adjusted place means that it will likely provide better whiplash protection than if your head hitting it just pushes it back. The adjustability is presumably to allow you to place it as close to your head as possible without being uncomfortable (in some cars, the head restraints are intrusively too far forward for some drivers, particularly those who have the seat back closer to vertical).

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-10-2012 02:01 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      Just hit 24k on my early build 2011 GT and my only issue was the clutch bolts. There was a TSB on it and I needed it. I've been moddin mine like crazy this year: lowering springs, sway bars, wheels/tires, adjustable panhard bar, panhard rod support, rear lower control arms, control arm relocation brackets and adjustable shocks/struts and GT500 strut mounts. Next is a MGW short shift kit. Then next year is gears (3.73's since I have 3.31's) and thinking of long tube headers/high flow cats/exhaust. This car is so much fun that I've been concentrating on handling vs more power. If you buy one you can not only put a grin on your face but also haul stuff and road trip with it. I love this car and it may be the first car I don't actually get bored with
      Great to hear! Any pics of your GT? Also can you elaborate a bit on the clutch bolt issue? Was there an issue or was it done per ford? No trans issues in the cold?

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      09-10-2012 10:31 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by The Dubsta View Post
      Great to hear! Any pics of your GT? Also can you elaborate a bit on the clutch bolt issue? Was there an issue or was it done per ford? No trans issues in the cold?

If I remember right, the early build 5.0's with manuals had too short of clutch bolt and they could sheer off. Well mine did. New bolts and a new clutch. I park my car in a garage, so I'm not as affected by cold issues. It is a transmission that's a little notchy till its warmed up. I've heard the 2013's are a little tweaked so may not be as big of an issue. I usually start off in second when it's cold till the transmission warms up, and definitely will a lot of time when I get my 3.73's installed. I have a MGW short shift kit to install and am curious if that will change shifter feel a lot. It's a heavy duty unit and is very thorough in its design.
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-10-2012 01:25 PM #74
      That really looks sharp with the RTR(i'm guessing) wheels and tuned suspension !

So in regards to the clutch issue I'm assuming everything was handled per powertrain warranty from ford? Any other issues that you have had please post.

6cylVWguy post up your update please.

Vehicles
      09-10-2012 04:06 PM #75
      That really looks sharp with the RTR(i'm guessing) wheels and tuned suspension !

So in regards to the clutch issue I'm assuming everything was handled per powertrain warranty from ford? Any other issues that you have had please post.

6cylVWguy post up your update please.
      Avant Garde M310 wheels
      Yeah everything was covered by Ford. I'm sure they changed later builds to the proper clutch bolts. And I haven't had any other issues. I change the oil and drive it. That's it. So different from my BMW ownership experience

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      09-10-2012 04:22 PM #76
      This might be the only angle this car has ever looked appealing to me

Congrats on the new car, certainly an upgrade
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-10-2012 06:45 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      This might be the only angle this car has ever looked appealing to me

Congrats on the new car, certainly an upgrade
      I remember talking to you about the svt focus when I was looking at them, I had mine for about 1yr - regret selling it! Why did you sell yours?>

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      09-10-2012 10:45 PM #78
      Any update? I'm looking at purchasing a brand new mustang gt as well.
      Click on the "blog" link under my screen name and it will link you to this thread and another one I started at the 10k mile marker.

The car currently has 16k miles and it's awesome. I had two small issues that I mentioned in the 10k mile thread and otherwise, the car is doing awesome. No engine, transmission, electronic, or suspension issues. It's been a perfect vehicle. I've just passed the 1 year mark of ownership and the stock power still hasn't gotten old. It's a seriously quick car and I've loved every minute. I'm glad I didn't buy a used 328 (for a couple of grand less than what I paid for the mustang, new) or a 370 (which would have been about $5k more than I paid for the mustang).

I really just can't think of a better car for the money. The car is far from perfect and it still has a ton of charm. The steering doesn't have a ton of feel (but excellent firmness in the sport setting) and the suspension is still a bit rickety over bumps, but I didn't expect a 911 when I bought this car. I didn't expect an M3 either. It is what it is--the car is an excellent performer but it's not German-type refined. Then again, no german car has a stock 400+ hp for the price of a Mustang GT. So you gotta pick your poison. But I'm ok with the trade-off. I'm still smitten with the car.

Admittedly I did my first burn out in anger the other week. Wow. Seriously, wow. Like nothing I've ever experience in anything I've owned before. Once you get the tires going in first theres like some type of momentum that just carries the wheel spin through at least second with almost no effort. I had much more of a dramatic exit than I expected. And the car is still good fun on the back roads.

Someone in my "soon-to-be-ex" apartment complex just bought a brand new 2013 GT with the brembo package. It's a sharp car, though I still prefer the 10-12 body style. In any event, the options in the 2013 cars answers all of my problems with my current cars (base model is available with HIDs, Recaros, boss oil cooler/torsen rear end). I would not hesitate to recommend this car to anyone who's interested. Really, it's a wonderful. If you go in realizing that the car is built to a price and it's not going to be like driving a BMW, you'll really like the car.

I'll probably change out the stock molded plastic steering wheel and the springs/dampers and call it a day. Personally, at this level of power, I'm of the opinion that if I want more, I'd just buy a better car like a used z06 instead of putting together a blown coyote, but hey, who knows that the future holds.

Here's a picture I just took of the mustang on Sunday at the Radnor Hunt Concours:

PS: Wilhelm, your car looks freaking fantastic!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      09-10-2012 10:58 PM #79
      I remember talking to you about the svt focus when I was looking at them, I had mine for about 1yr - regret selling it! Why did you sell yours?>
      I ended up owning the crossfire for almost exactly 3 years and I was about 4 months away from paying it off. I liked the car and think that it got somewhat of a bad wrap but it also wasn't as good a car as it could have been. It should have been somewhat of like the corrado where it used an old platform but a new motor. R170 chassis+ ~270hp 3.5L Merc V6 (instead of the 3.2). I thought it was a neat car though. The car had great grip, but not enough power to really spin the tires. And it was fantastic on the highway.

But the car itself was a nightmare. Well, the dealer was a nightmare. I had the worst luck ever getting the car repaired at the chrysler dealer by the supposed crossfire tech. Everytime I brought the car into the shop I got it back with something else broken. And the parts department could never get parts--and it was only my dealer. Other places I called claimed to be able to easily source the parts for half what my dealer wanted. I had to call corporate Chrysler many times to get them to lay the smack down---they were very good to their credit. And then someone backed into it at the dealer and caused $8500 in damage. Time to say good bye! I just didn't enjoy owning the car after that whole 6-7 month period. If Chrysler and Mercedes had a joint agreement where these cars could be fixed at the local mercedes dealers and the warranty would still be maintained, I would have gone that route. I would still own the car today if I could get it serviced properly--well, that and the car wasn't damaged so severely.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-11-2012 12:31 PM #80
      Thanks for the info! Glad to hear that you are still entralled with the stang! I'm going for a test drive of a '13 GT in "gotta have it green" tonight after work. I much like you 6cylVWguy(time for a username change i suspect lol) have always liked the mustang especially the fox body and older ones.

I test drove a brz last night...definitely a fun car but I don't know what it was, it just didn't work for me. I like it but I don't love it if that makes sense? The motor is meh, the interior is meh, exterior does nothing for me... it just does not evoke the same emotion the new 5.0 did when I first saw it. Different strokes I guess. I did however really enjoy the great steering feel and really competent chassis that the brz/fr-s seems to have it really wants to be pushed hard in the corners it just needs better tires

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      09-11-2012 12:52 PM #81
      Thanks for the info! Glad to hear that you are still entralled with the stang! I'm going for a test drive of a '13 GT in "gotta have it green" tonight after work. I much like you 6cylVWguy(time for a username change i suspect lol) have always liked the mustang especially the fox body and older ones.

I test drove a brz last night...definitely a fun car but I don't know what it was, it just didn't work for me. I like it but I don't love it if that makes sense? The motor is meh, the interior is meh, exterior does nothing for me... it just does not evoke the same emotion the new 5.0 did when I first saw it. Different strokes I guess. I did however really enjoy the great steering feel and really competent chassis that the brz/fr-s seems to have it really wants to be pushed hard in the corners it just needs better tires
      I still remember my first test drive of the current cars. It sold me. Update this thread or start another after you've test driven the car as I'm curious about your thoughts on the car.

I can understand the interest in all manner of performance car, but some just "do it" for me more than others. Cars like the miata and FRS just don't quite do it for me. Glad to see that others can obtain enjoyment out of these cars, because pony cars aren't for everyone either. Which to be honest, was true with until the current crop of ponies. I'm definitely not a mustang guy and I still don't understand the obsession with the fox body cars. I'd take a new mustang over almost any older mustang, personally. I bought the mustang more because I felt it was simply a better car than any of its peers or any other performance car with a similar price. In my view, it's simply a good car at a very good price. And well, I never owned a V8 in any quise before and thought that I owed it to myself to live with a pony car for some period of time. I'm glad I listened to myself!

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      09-11-2012 07:58 PM #82
      I love my 5.0 as well. I agree that it does have some shortcomings, but overall it's a great car at an unbeatable price. I will make one suggestion. Get the Ford Racing flash. It eliminates the skip shift (oh how I hated that!), bumps torque 60ft/lbs at 1500 rpm which helps with the soft bottom end, improves throttle response a gazillion percent, and you get extra 16hp up top. Oh, and you don't loose your warranty since its made by Ford. It's the best $380 I've spent on the car so far (well, the only money I've spent on the car so far). With only that mod, the car ran 13.07@110mph on stock tires that had 0 traction in the first 2 gears and produced a 2.3 sec 60 foot time. The mph is good for low 12s, so my next mod will be drag radials which should produce 1.6 or so 60'. Anyway, enjoy it. I love mine.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-12-2012 06:45 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      I love my 5.0 as well. I agree that it does have some shortcomings, but overall it's a great car at an unbeatable price. I will make one suggestion. Get the Ford Racing flash. It eliminates the skip shift (oh how I hated that!), bumps torque 60ft/lbs at 1500 rpm which helps with the soft bottom end, improves throttle response a gazillion percent, and you get extra 16hp up top. Oh, and you don't loose your warranty since its made by Ford. It's the best $380 I've spent on the car so far (well, the only money I've spent on the car so far). With only that mod, the car ran 13.07@110mph on stock tires that had 0 traction in the first 2 gears and produced a 2.3 sec 60 foot time. The mph is good for low 12s, so my next mod will be drag radials which should produce 1.6 or so 60'. Anyway, enjoy it. I love mine.
      Nice! SO my test drive was ....awkward? lol the new 5.0 did everything I thought it would and in spectacular fashion! 2nd gear blast all the way to redline sold me! My wife even seemed to enjoy being in the passenger seat. Then the salesman FARTED really loud(smell was unbearable)!!! No joke lol After about a 5 min drive back to the dealership in complete silence (that seemed to have taken forever) I couldn't help but bust out laughing. I felt bad for the guy but it was just too funny. At any rate I'm waiting to see what my job does (possible promotion) before I sign on the dotted line. Thought I'd share my story haha, anyone else have some weird test drives before?
      Last edited by The Dubsta; 09-12-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      09-12-2012 08:22 PM #84
      Nice! SO my test drive was ....awkward? lol the new 5.0 did everything I thought it would and in spectacular fashion! 2nd gear blast all the way to redline sold me! My wife even seemed to enjoy being in the passenger seat. Then the salesman FARTED really loud(smell was unbearable)!!! No joke lol After about a 5 min drive back to the dealership in complete silence (that seemed to have taken forever) I couldn't help but bust out laughing. I felt bad for the guy but it was just too funny. At any rate I'm waiting to see what my job does (possible promotion) before I sign on the dotted line. Thought I'd share my story haha, anyone else have some weird test drives before?
      wow, haven't heard of that one before...lol. It's a good car. I highly recommend it if its big enough for your family.

09-12-2012 08:26 PM #85
      @110mph ...... The mph is good for low 12s

A little optimistic, eh?

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      09-12-2012 10:09 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      A little optimistic, eh?
      Nope. Im the left lane. Do the math.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      09-12-2012 10:48 PM #87
      Aside from the comedic element of your review, glad to hear that you enjoyed the car. I'm willing to bet that if you had fun with it on the test drive, you'll have even more once you take one home. Good luck with the promotion! Hopefully it comes through so you can buy the stang.

09-13-2012 07:22 AM #88
      Nope. Im the left lane. Do the math.
      I assume you're saying that since right lane pulled a 12.3 at 108, you can easily do a 12.3 since you trapped 109? Well, partly true, but your first step in getting there is puling a 1.6 60' time like the right lane did. That's going to require a set of slicks (Which are going to take a few MPH off your trap) and a 5,000 RPM clutch dump to even get close for your car. What was in the right lane - EVO/STi?
      Last edited by SVTDanny; 09-13-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg TDI
      09-13-2012 09:53 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      I assume you're saying that since right lane pulled a 12.3 at 108, you can easily do a 12.3 since you trapped 109? Well, partly true, but your first step in getting there is puling a 1.6 60' time like the right lane did. That's going to require a set of slicks (Which are going to take a few MPH off your trap) and a 5,000 RPM clutch dump to even get close for your car. What was in the right lane - EVO/STi?
      The right lane was a mid 90s caprice. If you search on mustangforums.com, most guys with drag radials are in the low 12s basically stock (a tune and an air filter). There is one guy that ran 11.93@113 with FRPP tune and slicks. In my original post I made it clear that I need drag radials to get where I want to be.

Just found the link to the 11.93. Enjoy http://mustangforums.com/forum/musta...-93-video.html
      Last edited by Dandbest; 09-13-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add link

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      09-13-2012 10:12 AM #90
      Nice upgrade. Congrats
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      09-13-2012 10:46 AM #91
      2013's are tempting. Seriously considering trading the Z06 for one.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 16V GTI, 1985 Vanagon
      09-13-2012 11:15 AM #92
      I have a 2013 Sterling Grey GT with the Track Package (19" wheels, Brembo Brakes, Oil cooler, Torsen differential) - no other options.

It is a great car that puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. I'd add some more thoughts but 6cylVWguy has said everything that I would.

Quick question for you guys with the newer GT's - any of you driving your car in the winter? If so what are you doing for wheels/tires and how does the vehicle handle the snow?

Thanks!
      The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less"

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 11:32 AM #93
      Right now I drive my GT in the winter. I've been lucky that last winter was pretty light and I didn't have any issues. I use my oem wheels, 19's, with the Continental all seasons as my winter setup. I'll probably get a winter beater next summer just so I won't have to worry about a heavy snow fall. The all seasons with some weight in the back does pretty well in the light stuff.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-13-2012 02:14 PM #94
      The right lane was a mid 90s caprice. If you search on mustangforums.com, most guys with drag radials are in the low 12s basically stock (a tune and an air filter). There is one guy that ran 11.93@113 with FRPP tune and slicks. In my original post I made it clear that I need drag radials to get where I want to be.

Just found the link to the 11.93. Enjoy http://mustangforums.com/forum/musta...-93-video.html
      WOW! Quick times from these 5.0's with very minimal mods! I hope I can buy one here shortly.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-13-2012 02:16 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Aguilar View Post
      2013's are tempting. Seriously considering trading the Z06 for one.
      I don't know if I would trade a vette. Depends on what you want out of it. I looked at a c6 vette and I jsut can't justify the cost (insurance, maintenance, etc) associated with the vettes especially for someone like me that will be using it as a semi daily driver.

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      09-13-2012 02:16 PM #96
      Congrats

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-13-2012 02:34 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      I love how the traction control lets you have a bit of fun before gently reeling you back in, too. In the BMW, the moment you start to get wheelspin, it cuts the engine and it feels like you stalled the car (which can be unnerving when making a left turn across traffic in teh wet if it's slightly bumpy). In the Mustang, you get to spin the tires a bit, which can help you kick it sideways when cornering hard. Much fun!
      Yup, my Jetta almost caused me an accident when I was pulling out right into traffic and punched and squealed the outside tire just enough to cause the traction control to essentially close the throttle body to idle and my car just went ass up and I had to then shift and punch it, hoping the turbo was spooling fast enough to get me out of the way of the cars coming, which really weren't that close; I just hate making people hit their brakes. So now I start my car, buckle my seat belt, turn ESP off and release Parking Brake.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      09-13-2012 05:38 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by 13thStreetGTI View Post
      I have a 2013 Sterling Grey GT with the Track Package (19" wheels, Brembo Brakes, Oil cooler, Torsen differential) - no other options.

It is a great car that puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. I'd add some more thoughts but 6cylVWguy has said everything that I would.

Quick question for you guys with the newer GT's - any of you driving your car in the winter? If so what are you doing for wheels/tires and how does the vehicle handle the snow?

Thanks!
      Sounds like you have the exact car I would buy if I went with a 2013. I'd probably add the recaros though. I'm mildly obsessed with those seats however...

I drive my car in the winter, though I hesitate to say snow because up here in Philly we got very little of that last year. But I do have a winter setup. You can buy a set of 18in wheels and tires from Discount Tire Direct that will fit a brembo car without any modification necessary. I got a set of Drag DR34 wheels. I'm blanking on what I have for winter tires at the moment, but I know they aren't blizzaks or any other highly regarded snow tire. I had no problems in the mild winter we had last year.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda cr-z
      09-13-2012 05:53 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Sounds like you have the exact car I would buy if I went with a 2013. I'd probably add the recaros though. I'm mildly obsessed with those seats however...

I drive my car in the winter, though I hesitate to say snow because up here in Philly we got very little of that last year. But I do have a winter setup. You can buy a set of 18in wheels and tires from Discount Tire Direct that will fit a brembo car without any modification necessary. I got a set of Drag DR34 wheels. I'm blanking on what I have for winter tires at the moment, but I know they aren't blizzaks or any other highly regarded snow tire. I had no problems in the mild winter we had last year.
      Oh man those recaros are so nice! I haven't sat in the regular seats but the recaros are probably some of the best stock seats I have ever sat my chunky butt in. I liked them more than the S2000 Seats! Also winter tires and rwd = happy time here in colorado. NOt exactly the best way to get around but that is what my subaru is for

Vehicles
      A bicycle.
      09-13-2012 06:02 PM #100
      Anyone eying prices on used M/T 5.0's? Curious how the depreciation is treating them.

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      09-13-2012 06:03 PM #101
      I don't know if I would trade a vette. Depends on what you want out of it. I looked at a c6 vette and I jsut can't justify the cost (insurance, maintenance, etc) associated with the vettes especially for someone like me that will be using it as a semi daily driver.
      It just has so many nice options compared to a C5 Corvette. HIDs, nice seats, modern stereo (that at least reads MP3 CDs), warranty, etc, etc. Maybe I should just invest in the seats, stereo and HIDs for the Corvette. It'd be a lot cheaper in the long run.

I guess I just like the new Mustangs a lot.

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 06:08 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
      Anyone eying prices on used M/T 5.0's? Curious how the depreciation is treating them.
      Mine is used and I got a deal on it. Most other used ones were holding their value and then I found mine: 2011, MT, Sterling gray w/saddle brown interior, premium package, strut tower brace and 19's with 4500 miles on it for $27.9k. I jumped on it. I asked the Internet salesman why so low after I bought it and he said it was sitting on their lot a while and they wanted it gone. The week before I bought it, it was $29.9k. Don't know why the guy got rid of it, but I benefited off of it I believe.

Vehicles
      A bicycle.
      09-13-2012 06:14 PM #103
      Mine is used and I got a deal on it. Most other used ones were holding their value and then I found mine: 2011, MT, Sterling gray w/saddle brown interior, premium package, strut tower brace and 19's with 4500 miles on it for $27.9k. I jumped on it. I asked the Internet salesman why so low after I bought it and he said it was sitting on their lot a while and they wanted it gone. The week before I bought it, it was $29.9k. Don't know why the guy got rid of it, but I benefited off of it I believe.
      How much would that same car have been new, if you had bought it similarly (from the internet guy).

Vehicles
      09-13-2012 07:29 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
      How much would that same car have been new, if you had bought it similarly (from the internet guy).
      I have the window sticker still in my filing cabinet and I want to say $36-$37k new. I also forgot it came with the heated seats and security package

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1984 GLI 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      09-13-2012 07:48 PM #105
      Nice color combo, I bet not to common either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast