Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Visor repair pix - 83 GTI

Vehicles
      83 VW Rabbit GTI
      08-28-2011 07:21 PM #1
      My driver side visor was rotting away and I had replaced the headliner in the GTI, so I decided I needed to match the visor material and fix that disintegrating driver side visor.

The cardboard inside was shot so I took the innards from a notebook binder and made a new piece of stock. The binder I had wasn't large enough so I sandwiched two thick binder pieces with some thinner pasteboard I had around.

Using the original cardboard (or at least one of the many separating layers) I outlined the new board on my material and cut it out. I also used the original staples to fasten the spine onto the binder board. The hardest part was straightening the old staples so they could be reused. I transferred the hole location to the new board and hammered the old staples to make a sturdy visor.

Using two layers of foam that I had from computer packing, I glued each layer over the board and trimmed it close to the board edges. The fabric I purchased for the headliner was used for the visor as well. I left lots of overhang of the new material so I could use the vinyl hem material to make it look more original. I couldn't sew the vinyl so I cleaned it up and used contact cement to attach it, then added the end metal trim pieces.

Hope this is fairly clear and useful for some.

John - Colorado Springs

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      08-29-2011 01:03 AM #2
      great job!
      i wouldnt use cardboard, they sell plastic corrugated board which is much stronger and wont get wet

when i got mine i straight ripped the fabric off and painted the cardboard then put them back on

i didnt care... atleast i didnt have fuzzy particles floating around anymore!

GREAT DIY!! get in the DIY sticky, thanks!

Vehicles
      83 VW Rabbit GTI
      08-29-2011 10:34 AM #3
      Thanks,

I thought about a plastic sheet then figured my notebook pasteboard would be more 'original' even if no one sees it. I wouldn't use corrugated plastic though as I would think it would bend a lot easier than sturdy pasteboard. It would certainly be lighter though. If my visor rebuild gets soaked with water and comes apart, I have a lot more serious problems than just the visor. By the looks of the original pasteboard, it had gotten a little wet in a couple of spots but not enough to separate the pasteboard. I'm betting the adhesive just gave up the ghost with age as did the foam lining (yuck).
      Last edited by jaevans; 09-08-2011 at 10:05 AM.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit LS
      08-29-2011 02:18 PM #4
      Hey those look good!

By the way, after tearing them apart do you know a way to "oil" them so they swivel easier? Mine are pretty difficult to "flip" down, more like have to grab near the base of the visor and maneuver so as not to rip them

Vehicles
      83 VW Rabbit GTI
      08-29-2011 02:37 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
      Hey those look good!

By the way, after tearing them apart do you know a way to "oil" them so they swivel easier? Mine are pretty difficult to "flip" down, more like have to grab near the base of the visor and maneuver so as not to rip them
      Thanks for the compliments. As for lubing the flip hinge, I'd be afraid of making them too loose, but it sounds like yours are way too tight. Without taking it apart, you should be able to pull out the metal shaft - it just slides in the metal tube made out of flat sheet metal (you should be able to see in the picture that shows the bare board and staples). Pull on the springed hinge/mounting bracket while turning it and the shaft should come out on its own. Then you can clean up and lube the shaft - I suspect that it is just corroded a bit - the metal seems to be galvanized steel.

If you end up making it too loose, just remove the shaft and flatten the tube that it slides into a little until you get the right action/feel.

Let me know if this makes sense. I removed mine after construction and pounded on the tube a bit to make mine tighter. I also bent the L-shaped shaft right where it would go into the tube to get it to sit the way I wanted up near the headliner and not hanging down.

John

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit LS
      08-29-2011 03:26 PM #6
      Yeah that makes sense, I see how it fits over that straight rod and should slide.

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      09-07-2011 01:49 AM #7
      hrrmm i see

mine are tight but not too loose

i dislike however when they move a slight bit then begin bouncing around making a vibrating noise!
      wish there was just a little catch up there to hold them sturdy

as is my DS has to be touching the windshield to feel snug and not bounce around insanely

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      09-07-2011 02:46 AM #8
      Good work! I need to do this myself.

Vehicles
      83 VW Rabbit GTI
      09-07-2011 04:46 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      hrrmm i see

mine are tight but not too loose

i dislike however when they move a slight bit then begin bouncing around making a vibrating noise!
      wish there was just a little catch up there to hold them sturdy

as is my DS has to be touching the windshield to feel snug and not bounce around insanely
      Here's a hint - my driver side visor was hanging low, not parallel to the roof, so removed the visor, removed the hinge shaft with mounting bracket. I mounted the internal shaft portion in a vise and pounded on the bracket end (the short L-shaped portion of the shaft) to a slightly tighter than 90 degree bend, then reinstalled it in the visor. This holds the visor up close to the headliner and should reduce any vibration you experience. It may take a couple of times in the vise to get the angle right, but for me, anything slightly less than 90 degrees worked.

Good luck and have fun.

John
      Last edited by jaevans; 09-08-2011 at 10:07 AM.