My driver side visor was rotting away and I had replaced the headliner in the GTI, so I decided I needed to match the visor material and fix that disintegrating driver side visor.
The cardboard inside was shot so I took the innards from a notebook binder and made a new piece of stock. The binder I had wasn't large enough so I sandwiched two thick binder pieces with some thinner pasteboard I had around.
Using the original cardboard (or at least one of the many separating layers) I outlined the new board on my material and cut it out. I also used the original staples to fasten the spine onto the binder board. The hardest part was straightening the old staples so they could be reused. I transferred the hole location to the new board and hammered the old staples to make a sturdy visor.
Using two layers of foam that I had from computer packing, I glued each layer over the board and trimmed it close to the board edges. The fabric I purchased for the headliner was used for the visor as well. I left lots of overhang of the new material so I could use the vinyl hem material to make it look more original. I couldn't sew the vinyl so I cleaned it up and used contact cement to attach it, then added the end metal trim pieces.
Hope this is fairly clear and useful for some.
John - Colorado Springs