Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Eurovan electrical problems--help!!

1. 08-29-2011 10:18 AM #1
      After a major rain storm, we needed to replace the coil due to it getting water logged because of it's great design and placement! The EV is running great--but now, we have some kind of strange electrical thing happening. The emergency brake light stays on after it's released, no DRL, no low beams, no wipers, and no AC!! But, if I turn and hold the high beams on...the emer brake light goes out and everything works! Also, I can turn the high beams on when the engine is off!

Now, this problem has been occurring over the past few months (emer brake light on when it's released, no wipers, no AC, etc) but if I turned the engine off and restarted...it would clear and everything worked. Now, we can't get it to clear at all and nothing works...unless the high beams are held in the "on" position. Not really how you would want to drive!!

It's some kind of a switch or a relay. Not sure where to start! Dont know if it's the ignition switch, the headlight switch, or the DRL relay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kathleen

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Tiguan S
      08-29-2011 10:43 AM #2
      Sounds like the brake switch is going bad- the one on the pedal.

3. 08-29-2011 04:32 PM #3
      I'd check the brake light switch (on the pedal) or the ignition switch. Maybe do the one on the brake pedal first b/c it's easier.

Also if neither of those are it, all the items you mention not only are usually operable only when the ignition is on, but they are also governed by the load reduction relay (the relay that temporarily kills these items while you are cranking the starter). That one also you might want to inspect.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper
      08-31-2011 08:21 PM #4
      While on a recent trip, our turn signals would flash not at all or stop after just a few.

I see that the Emergency Flasher does the same thing.

The location of the relays are definitely hard to find in the Bentley -- and with both the turn signal and the Emergency having the same problem I wonder if the problem is somewhere other than the little flash relay cube.

Thanks for help. (1st post at Vortex, 6-months of ownership so far.)
      bill

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper
      09-02-2011 08:41 AM #5
      Since I posted my question about how to find and how to replace a faulty flasher relay I have learned much.

There is confusion that this relay is in Position 6, near the fuses. This is not correct. It is in the middle of the dash, directly behind the triangular push-button. To get at it, you carefully remove the left and right air directing vanes. Then you will see two screws that hold this air delivery vent in place. With the two screws and small air vent housing out, you will be able to reach in and behind the Flasher Relay to remove. The two metal clips are on the bottom surface. If you have small hands, getting it out may be easier than it was for me.

Dealer price is about $85.

bill

6. 09-04-2011 08:12 AM #6
      Hello I have the same problem as Kathleen. Not the coil problem, but the headlights not working and brake light on and I have to hold the high beams on to get everything to work problem.

Did you ever find out what was wrong?

Thanks
      Mike

7. 09-20-2011 03:31 PM #7
      The answer is your starter switch. It sounds stupid but like many VW models, Eurovans have allot of non sense electrical systems going thru the starting switch. If you turn it off and wiggle the keys and start it again, the problem may go away (depends how severe is damage). I know of certified VW dealer mechanics chasing their tail not figuring out the problem. Happen to me, I change the switch and the problem went away. This is something that will come back due to a poorly constructed switch design. To promote longevity, try not to have to many keys in your remote if any at all. The weight of the keys, the remote and the wear and tear put too much stress on that switch.

8. 09-22-2011 04:48 PM #9
      I have the same problem with my 2001 EV, looks like the culprit is the ignition switch. Try pushing the keys around while they are in the switch body and I think that you'll find the brake light will flicker on and off, good luck.

Vehicles
      03 TDi Wagon, 62 Beetle Vert, 73 Thing, 04 4Runner, 41 Ford bagged & chopped, 92 Cabriolet
      09-27-2011 11:14 AM #10
      I agree classic ignition switch complaints.... check MKIII forums too they had the same complaints when the ignition switches start to go bad

10. 10-03-2011 08:10 PM #11
      Yes this happend to me on 2002 ev, it ws bad contact in ignition switch. wiggleing key in ignition will sometimes bring it back for a bit

11. 10-21-2011 05:18 PM #12
      Does any one no if the ignition switch has any thing to do with the starter not diengaging fast enough.

12. 07-22-2012 07:04 PM #13
      So thanks to Bill I got the harness off the back. Now am stymied about how to remove the actual relay. After bending the 2 front wings out f the way I still cannot remove the assembly (relay and it's holder). Seems there is still something holding it... Thanks for your help!

13. 07-25-2012 06:40 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by latitudechaser View Post
      The answer is your starter switch. It sounds stupid but like many VW models, Eurovans have allot of non sense electrical systems going thru the starting switch. If you turn it off and wiggle the keys and start it again, the problem may go away (depends how severe is damage). I know of certified VW dealer mechanics chasing their tail not figuring out the problem. Happen to me, I change the switch and the problem went away. This is something that will come back due to a poorly constructed switch design. To promote longevity, try not to have to many keys in your remote if any at all. The weight of the keys, the remote and the wear and tear put too much stress on that switch.
      Would this also create strange activity with dash warning lights? ABS, brake, check engine lights on, but car runs fine?

14. 07-26-2012 10:04 PM #15
      Have you had the vehicle scanned with a VAG-COM scan tool?
      Did all of the lights come on at the same time, or have each of the lights come on separately?
      A check engine light usually has something to do with emissions, which you usually will not be able to tell based on vehicle performance. If the light it flashing, something is seriously wrong and you will definitely notice an issue. The vehicle should not be driven with a CEL flashing. You may damage the engine.
      The brake light will come on if the parking brake is set, the fluid is low, or if you have a severe enough leak to activate the pressure differential switch (can't remember the proper name right now).
      The ABS light will come on if the module senses a fault. ABS failure will not affect braking, you will not have ABS.
      If both the ABS and brake lights are on, there is usually a major issue with the brake system, such as a catastrophic leak. Check your resivor, if it is really low or empty have the vehicle towed to a shop. You will have no brakes shortly. Check for leaks and bring it to a shop to have them check it out. Someone that can scan VW and read VW specific codes. With the ABS and brake lights on, you may want to have it towed anyway. Losing your brakes is not fun, and unless it is late at night and you have a manual transmission, you won't be making it to your destination.

15. 07-27-2012 06:05 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by SkydvrA35591 View Post
      Have you had the vehicle scanned with a VAG-COM scan tool?
      Did all of the lights come on at the same time, or have each of the lights come on separately?
      A check engine light usually has something to do with emissions, which you usually will not be able to tell based on vehicle performance. If the light it flashing, something is seriously wrong and you will definitely notice an issue. The vehicle should not be driven with a CEL flashing. You may damage the engine.
      The brake light will come on if the parking brake is set, the fluid is low, or if you have a severe enough leak to activate the pressure differential switch (can't remember the proper name right now).
      The ABS light will come on if the module senses a fault. ABS failure will not affect braking, you will not have ABS.
      If both the ABS and brake lights are on, there is usually a major issue with the brake system, such as a catastrophic leak. Check your resivor, if it is really low or empty have the vehicle towed to a shop. You will have no brakes shortly. Check for leaks and bring it to a shop to have them check it out. Someone that can scan VW and read VW specific codes. With the ABS and brake lights on, you may want to have it towed anyway. Losing your brakes is not fun, and unless it is late at night and you have a manual transmission, you won't be making it to your destination.
      Yes, VAG-Com says Rich condition bank 1, the shop did the scan and cleaned the MAF. Cleared the code, now it's back. They want to replace the MAF now for over $300.
      The other lights are intermittent, will stay on for a few minutes. Everything runs fine. Brakes are good, just had the car serviced. In fact, these lights came on after the service...hmmm.

16. 07-29-2012 12:17 AM #17
      So there are no stored codes for the other lights?

17. 07-30-2012 04:07 AM #18
      Correct no other codes. Just the one.
      Re the Rich condition bank 1 code. After cleaning failed, Does MAF replacement seem to be the correct next step? Or should we look at other possibilities before spending $170 on a part that may not be faulty? Just checking if the logic tree does indicate replacement at this time?